Page 407 of 415 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,070 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 407

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    @KerryK & chahaya,

Thank you for your POW.

I invite everyone to the Curezone forum.

It is a "support" forum for those who take iodine and or kelp whether in large doses or small.

There is also an iodine DEBATE forum for those, who think that taking iodine is either dangerous or wrong.

I personally support anyone who takes "good" kelp or iodine large or small.

I am sorry for my outburst but I merely was holding a mirror up in the face
    of those who have such a RUDE delivery system of their "correction" for anyone,
    who dared post anything about anything?

The reflection wasn't pretty, was it...?

t2t
    Thank you for your support. IMO, you are being too polite. These RUDE & Insulting Trolls don't deserve politeness. They deserve being reported & revoked. These rude people have been attacking you since you first came for a visit. It is inexcusable and I'm tired of apologizing for their RUDE, INSULTING behavior.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-30-2012 at 09:25 AM.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    This thread has jumped the shark. I can only guess that it is the personalities involved that kept it going this long. The one thing that saddens me is to see simple but direct questions treated as trollish.

If someone can ask a perfectly valid question like "How do we know, or what studies have been done to show, that there aren't long term risks to 50mg per day?" and be treated like crap rather than someone simply say "We don't know yet, don't have any yet", then things are way down hill.

I take 6-12mg per day. Report me as a troll if anyone must.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    This thread has jumped the shark. I can only guess that it is the personalities involved that kept it going this long. The one thing that saddens me is to see simple but direct questions treated as trollish.

If someone can ask a perfectly valid question like "How do we know, or what studies have been done to show, that there aren't long term risks to 50mg per day?" and be treated like crap rather than someone simply say "We don't know yet, don't have any yet", then things are way down hill.

I take 6-12mg per day. Report me as a troll if anyone must.
    You are being polite with your question and there is no problems with polite discussion. Unfortunately the trolls are rude, demeaning, insulting and nit picking.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-30-2012 at 09:46 AM.

BananaLeaf is offline Member
    I think it's time for this thread to be locked. It has obviously run its course and has simply become a source of entertainment for most of the posters. I say lock it and those who do a search for "iodine" can wade through it if they so wish.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    I'm with the eat whole food to get your Iodine camp. When you eat whole foods its easier to not overdose.
    BG 5: PARADIGM DRIFTS PARADIGM SHIFTS: EPI-PALEO? - Jack Kruse
    BRAIN GUT 6: EPI-PALEO Rx - Jack Kruse
    Recommendation is a pound a day of seafood. A mix of raw and cooked preferred. A pound a day shouldn't be too much Iodine but it should be plenty for anyone.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

joe2.0 is offline Member
    I would vote for deletion. The reason why paleobird, breadsauce, cori and several others were needed here was to provide some desperately needed balance. Calling them trolls for providing that necessary balance is just another example of how far out of whack this thread has gotten.

The thing that concerns me where this thread has gone is that it's essentially a health forum and many people come here in a desperate state of mind looking for answers. Those folk are the one's that really require the "trolls" to come in here and point out that there is some potential danger to what is being represented with Iodine in this thread. This thread runs counter in my mind to Mark's measured, researched and balanced approach and really paints the entire forum in a bad light. Whack this thread and since Grizz etc. are leaving (yeah right) for the curezone utopia, perhaps a more sensible and balanced iodine thread can get going and stand on its own.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    I'm with the eat whole food to get your Iodine camp. When you eat whole foods its easier to not overdose.
    BG 5: PARADIGM DRIFTS PARADIGM SHIFTS: EPI-PALEO? - Jack Kruse
    BRAIN GUT 6: EPI-PALEO Rx - Jack Kruse
    Recommendation is a pound a day of seafood. A mix of raw and cooked preferred. A pound a day shouldn't be too much Iodine but it should be plenty for anyone.
    I read those pages from Kruse... I'm not a particular Kruse fan, but sea foods make sense on their own as they are great sources of many nutrients that are quite low in land animals and plants.
    What I got out of those pages was 1/2lb 3-5 days a week... plus Sea veg.

That said I haven't been well, and since I find his writing style to be pretty awful (LOL, it kind of is), I may need to go back and re-read.
    Also, I am currently on a severely sodium restricted diet (sodium makes me extremely sick)... sea food and sea veg is only an occasional indulgence ATM.
    Hopefully I'll get that straightened out soon, I really prefer to have MUCH more sea foods in my diet.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    He really needs to edit posts when people point out that they are wrong....in the comments section someone says he made a conversion error it was supposed to be .5 kg which equals about 1 lb. I'll admit his writing style sucks at times...but I think the information is mostly good. I'm not sure sodium in seafood...if not processed seafood would cause you issues?

Maybe you have already tried eating more seafood and had issues? I'm just wondering because from what I've heard people using table salt can have issues while those using unrefined salt like Real Salt, Celtic Sea Salt, Or Himalalyan. Salt when unrefined has trace minerals and things...its not just the Sodium Chloride. Salt when in the natural body of a fish may not cause issues that too much processed sodium/salt would.

That being said....you should take any changes slow even if this may apply. What kind of doctor are you seeing?
    Paleo Physicians Network
    I like this list of doctors as they believe in Paleo and are holistic...are supposed to be people who look for causes of symptoms and deal with them rather than just treating symptoms.

Also if you have eaten more seafood and the issue caused sickness...due to too much sodium...was the fish processed at all? I got a pre-seasoned bag of Salmon and it contained Canola oil and spices.....spices could mean MSG or salt or whatever and if they used salt it was refined for sure. So even if you get fish you have to watch for added refined salt.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 07-30-2012 at 10:50 AM.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    He really needs to edit posts when people point out that they are wrong....in the comments section someone says he made a conversion error it was supposed to be .5 kg which equals about 1 lb. I'll admit his writing style sucks at times...but I think the information is mostly good. I'm not sure sodium in seafood...if not processed seafood would cause you issues?

Maybe you have already tried eating more seafood and had issues? I'm just wondering because from what I've heard people using table salt can have issues while those using unrefined salt like Real Salt, Celtic Sea Salt, Or Himalalyan. Salt when unrefined has trace minerals and things...its not just the Sodium Chloride. Salt when in the natural body of a fish may not cause issues that too much processed sodium/salt would.

That being said....you should take any changes slow even if this may apply. What kind of doctor are you seeing?
    Paleo Physicians Network
    I like this list of doctors as they believe in Paleo and are holistic...are supposed to be people who look for causes of symptoms and deal with them rather than just treating symptoms.

Also if you have eaten more seafood and the issue caused sickness...due to too much sodium...was the fish processed at all? I got a pre-seasoned bag of Salmon and it contained Canola oil and spices.....spices could mean MSG or salt or whatever and if they used salt it was refined for sure. So even if you get fish you have to watch for added refined salt.
    I have a serious brain pressure problem... any type of sodium causes fluid retention producing major problems.
    The biggest seafood issue is with mollusks and crustaceans... those are just naturally higher in sodium even if you can find them completely unprocessed (Which is darn near impossible for shrimp, scallops, and squid, much to my dismay.)

Fish isn't such a problem since I'm in FL and can get fresh, wild caught, pretty easily... but due to the medical problems I cannot drive... so I don't get to the fresh fish market very often.
    Sea veg are also naturally high in sodium...

As far as salt types... all salt is sodium chloride, some just has the benefit of having the extra minerals in it, and leaving out silly the additives.
    For the tiny, minimal about of salt that I do use... not much as I get most of my sodium intake naturally from food... I do use either Pink Himalayan or Grey sea salt. I only use that if my daily intake from foods is very low... and then only a very small pinch.
    I'm not supposed to consume any other type of sodium either such as baking soda, msg, etc.

I have to be very careful to not eat anything pre-seasoned and packaged, or "dipped" as they do with seafood (sodium tripolyphosphate).

Hopefully I will get it resolved soon... I've been at this a year, been to some crappy docs, but have some good ones now... and will probably have a corrective surgery soon. (Just saw my Neurosurgeon today.)
    After that... I'm hoping my plate will be more open to the stuff I really want to eat! Fresh seafood has been sorely missed by me for a while now.

I also think that getting more iodine from natural foods makes sense... if you eat seafoods and sea veg there is no need to take a bunch of supplements along with the Iodine... it's already in there!

Right now, since I have such a low salt intake and low seafood intake (basically zero iodine source in my diet) I supplement a moderately low amount of Lugols. 1, sometimes 2 drops of 5% Lugols per week in water that I take a little swig of daily. Mostly one drop per week... but on occasion two drops have landed in the cup because I'm unsteady and I just went with it.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    YES ! IMO, 1.5mg more a week is a lot of iodine if you are extremely toxic. You might want to increase your daily salt intake and your salt flushing intervals. I have just discovered this valuable information re: Why salt flushes out bromides. You might want to study this in depth to see if it will help you.
    - - - If you can’t tolerate salt, then mix it into Lemonade

I would slow it down to adding 1.5mg per month, or pulse dosing with the salt flush whenever you notice a problem.

Grizz
    Thanks, Grizz. I did some experimentation, and took 2 non-consecutive days this week off of iodine. The next days (Thursday and Sunday, respectively), my innate contentment was back! So I am back to the level that I was increasing before for the last 2 months - an 8th of a drop a week. I felt GREAT the whole time that I was maintaining that level of increase. I thought I could step it up a little bit now that I finally made it to 1 whole drop, but I guess not. I'd rather take it slow and have my mood be stable than try to ramp up more quickly. Maybe in a few months when I've detoxed out some more toxins I'll be able to increase a bit more quickly, but obviously not now!

Thanks for the link about the salt, I'll give it a read! Luckily I have no issues with drinking salt water. I used to do the Master Cleanse, which called for a salt water flush every morning! That's 32 oz. of water with 2 tsp. of salt! What's recommended for supplementing with iodine is nothing compared to that!

One question I had though - the only info. I can find about salt supplementation on the breastcancerchoices.org site is for the salt flush protocol - 1/4 tsp. of salt in 1/2 cup of warm water, followed by 12-16 ounces of water. Is this what's recommended for daily salt intake as well?