Page 4 of 415 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 4

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Has anyone tried foraging for seaweed? A bag of Dulse costs a lot of money and there's a whole ocean of seaweed out there. I live on the coast in Southern California. I can take a walk on the beach every day. There's TONS of seaweed washed ashore all the time. I once had a Japanese exchange student living with me and she took a walk on the beach with me one day and pointed to all the different kinds of seaweed. That one's good, that one's really good. She even knew the names in Japanese for them all. You can't go wrong with kelp. It's all edible. The ocean is clean where I live. So I've been thinking about foraging my own seaweed. Has anyone tried this and had success?
    i live in a coastal state, mississippi, but the oil spill leaves me not wanting to touch ANYTHING washing up on our coast

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Get a bag of dried wakame or feru wakame, arame, hijiki, or hair vegetable/seaweed (aka black moss)... I most often get the kind that is chopped and looks kind of like whole leaf tea (wakame and hijiki). Sometimes the long noodly looking ones. I'm game to try any of it. A handful will expand to an amount you won't believe! LOL

Don't think of the price (maybe $5-10 for a 50gm bag) as what you are purchasing... a Tbs dried will easily equal at least a half a cup of re-hydrated kelp. It quadruples in size!
    It's really mild and goes well with most anything once yu get used to the texture, but my favorite is to toss it in some broth, and add shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic if it's a meal, sliced green onions on top... NOM!
    OMG! Informative, and you gave me a sick recipe idea! THANK YOU!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    OMG! Informative, and you gave me a sick recipe idea! THANK YOU!
    You are welcome... the soup is great with cod too!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have seen raw seaweed (not dried) in Asian markets and have ordered a fabulous seaweed salad made from it that tastes like they use soy sauce, probably some bonita flakes, sesame oil and sesame seeds for seasoning (I'm not against such things as seasoning) and then it came optionally with sashimi. Oh my goodness it is so good.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    That could indicate an autoimmune attack on your thyroid. It's so common for autoimmune thyroid disease (which comprises 90% of hypothyroidism in the US) to go undiagnosed or untreated. When it does get diagnosed, it's nearly never adequately or properly treated (which totally sucks!)
    Have you checked out New Book on Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's by Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS ? That book will tell you which tests you need, as well as what lab ranges should be used to interpret the results.
    I have not, but will try. I have so many books and so little time. I'm attempting to be a grown up and get my blood tests done, but am paralyzed by the choices of what doctor to choose or to go it alone and have tests done at an independent lab or just go to a clinic like I used to do. I used to take Synthroid, but due to the nature of my life/job I've been moving pretty constantly for the last 9 or 10 years which makes it difficult to keep on top of things. At least for me.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss View Post
    I have not, but will try. I have so many books and so little time. I'm attempting to be a grown up and get my blood tests done, but am paralyzed by the choices of what doctor to choose or to go it alone and have tests done at an independent lab or just go to a clinic like I used to do. I used to take Synthroid, but due to the nature of my life/job I've been moving pretty constantly for the last 9 or 10 years which makes it difficult to keep on top of things. At least for me.
    There is a list of practitioners on that site- I'm working with one of them and he's really helped me.

kiss is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    There is a list of practitioners on that site- I'm working with one of them and he's really helped me.
    Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out now.

EDIT:
    I went to the find a practioner page and got a server error. Hopefully it will be straightened out soon.
    Last edited by kiss; 01-21-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss View Post
    Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out now.

EDIT:
    I went to the find a practioner page and got a server error. Hopefully it will be straightened out soon.
    If, for some reason it doesn't, let me know and I can get you the list.

lazatiger is offline Member
    This thread encouraged me to start munching on those dulse flakes that I keep in the cupboard but never touch :o

Korga is offline Member
    I started taking kelp capsules because I was struggling with low body temperature and had seriously dry, flaking skin. Six months later the dry skin was gone, and my temperature had raised 1 degree F.

Page 4 of 415 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast