Page 399 of 415 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400401409 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 3,990 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 399

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    1. Grizz, I'm having a logic fail with the supposed salt detox. If salt drives bromine out of our system, then how do Americans accumulate bromine? The SAD diet is so loaded with salt that there's probably enough to drive out all the bromine from brominated flour, on a daily basis. I remember we talked about this way back in the thread -- that the only thing saving Americans from goiter is all the processed salt-laden junk food. If anything, SAD would be a CURE for bromine toxicity, and that means that primals are at greater risk for excess bromine.

2. Something that puzzled me:Rrecently -- after starting salt protocol -- I checked my blood pressure on the machine in the grocery store. It said 125/80. Usually my bp is 105/75 or so. I know it's not very accurate, but that's a big jump. Is the salt raising my blood pressure? I'll check it again soon. If it's still high, I have to cut down on the salt.

3. Pillow positioning: If you can sleep on your back, the best place to put the pillow is half under your thighs and half under your butt. You know how you're supposed to bend your knees, to keep your back from arching? It's great for your back but I found that it's hard to keep my knees up. So I tried the butt/thigh position. To get the positioning right, lie on your back with your knees bent. When your knees are up, the lower part of your butt should be lifted up a little away from the mattress. That empty space under your butt is where you should stuff the pillow. When you have it right, you can unbend your knees. The pillow will keep your thighs and butt in position without having to keep your knees up, and your back will still be bent up a little so it's not arched. I found that without the pillow under there, my back arches a bit, which throws everything off including my head. With the pillow in place, my back is flat and comfy and it doesn't matter where my head is. I learned the pillow trick when I had shoulder tendonitis and couldn't sleep on either side.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member
    Most processed food contains sodium or refined salt (plus MSG etc) instead of the higher quality Celtic or Sea Salt. Morton salt contains other things too such as Dextrose last time I read the label. I've only had a headache once since starting Iodoral and a glass of water with 1/4 teaspoon of Redmond's Real Salt gave me relief within minutes.

Thanks for the tip on pillow placement!

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Something that puzzled me:Rrecently -- after starting salt protocol -- I checked my blood pressure on the machine in the grocery store. It said 125/80. Usually my bp is 105/75 or so. I know it's not very accurate, but that's a big jump. Is the salt raising my blood pressure?
    Almost certainly, it's what salt does.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    yep

but for me, pink salt vs iodized or sea salt is like night and day. i use a very heavy hand with the pink salt and it doesn't affect my bp nearly as much as the other 2
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post

2. Something that puzzled me:Rrecently -- after starting salt protocol -- I checked my blood pressure on the machine in the grocery store. It said 125/80. Usually my bp is 105/75 or so. I know it's not very accurate, but that's a big jump. Is the salt raising my blood pressure? I'll check it again soon. If it's still high, I have to cut down on the salt.

The salt did that to me - went from usual 115 / 75 to 150 / 110. Freaked me out. I have stopped salt altogether now and it's back almost to usual. I think the salt thing is utterly irresponsible - it could cause people to have strokes or die.

I also feel more and more strongly that high iodine supplementing is bad too. Especially in view of the fact that the much quoted Japanese average intake of 13.5 mg daily turns out to be totally mistaken.

I'd love to know what the Inuit intake of iodine is. Anyone have data on that?
    Last edited by breadsauce; 07-29-2012 at 01:41 AM.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DuhPrincess View Post
    Most processed food contains sodium or refined salt (plus MSG etc) instead of the higher quality Celtic or Sea Salt.
    Let me go into chemist mode. Common salt is sodium chloride, NaCl. There is no such thing as "high quality" NaCl compared to "regular" NaCl. However, when non-chemists say "salt" we actually refer to a mixture of NaCl + other minerals in the bottle. The "high quality" label comes from the other minerals which are mixed in with the NaCl. But Grizz's point is that it's the actual NaCl which detoxes bromine and bromide. In that case, it shouldn't matter if the NaCl is mixed with dextrose or MSG or anything else, as long as you're taking in NaCl. This is what I'm trying to tease out. What is doing the detoxing? The NaCl or the other minerals?

Anyway, I think I'm making some N=1 headway in this thread.
    Megadoses of Iodine are obviously not lethal. 1 mg isn't going to kill you. But high doses are not recommended unless you have a specific medical condition that iodine can treat. (prostrate, fibrocystic, possibly thyroid but ASK YOUR DOCTOR)
    ~2 mg of iodine is probably enough for everybody else.
    The megadose supplement protocol is necessary only if you take megadoses of iodine. (I'm taking about half the amounts).
    Salt is good for immediate detox, but NOT on a daily basis as part of the protocol, especially if you're not taking megadoses of iodine.
    Iodine will get rid of skin moles, but only very slowly and after damaging the skin around it. It may help to use a carrier oil. YMMV.

That said, I am stopping the salt protocol RIGHT NOW. I've been very heavy with the salt for the past month and it already elevated my blood pressure.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    @ Breadsauce

I bought the real salt from Redmonds and it has helped my usually high blood pressure go down to 124 over 81. t2t

Dr. F. Batmanghelidj, MD, the author of “You Are Not Sick, You’re Thirsty!”, explains that salt has many other important functions than just regulating the water content of the body…

Did you know that the salt companies actually don’t make their greatest profits selling salt? Most of the salt sold goes to chemical laboratories and manufacturing companies. Selling salt is actually a side line for salt companies; they make most of their profits pulling out the minerals and selling them back to us through health food stores.

When people started consuming chemically altered (refined) salts 100 years ago, we started seeing high blood pressure and water retention that had never been associated with salt before. In other words, salt can be bad for your health, but real salt is actually a crucial part of good health!

Naturally sun dried sea salt is charged with energy. However, these charged minerals are exactly what your body craves. When charged calcium enters your body, scientists can trace where it goes. And where does it go? Directly to a site where there is a break or a fracture. Charged minerals go right to where they are needed. Dr Langre, in his book “Seasalt’s Hidden Powers”, makes the following points:

1. Our bodies are like the ocean and at the level of our biochemical function, we either get the nutrition we need to maintain this “ocean atmosphere” or we suffer.

2. Violent prisoners given Sea Salt in their diets showed improved behaviors within a few short weeks.

3. Salt is needed for digestion.

4. The sodium of Sea Salt acts differently in your body than the sodium in refined salt.

5. People who dislike salt or have a phobia or intolerance to salt do not realize that they are, in fact, ill.

It hurts my soul every time I hear someone say they don’t use salt. It’s so not true that salt is bad, because without salt, the body would not be alive. But, we use the wrong kind of salt, and in so doing, we make the body sick, and sicker.
    It is best to either cook your own food with sea salt or find special products made with natural sea salt. Read the labels on all foods and drinks you purchase, and be especially aware of foods that have high salt content such as packaged soups, pickled foods, olives, salty snack foods, soy sauces and steak sauces, canned meats, canned soups and veggies, boxed mixes of potatoes and processed luncheon deli meats.

Just don’t buy these products at all, find better alternatives. It might not be that you can’t have these foods, it might be that you just can’t have the type of salt that was used in them. Cook or prepare your own food, and use only REAL, natural salt. Your life depends on it.

Is Your Salt Real?

Real Salt means – well, real, authentic salt. A quick glance at the ingredients label on most salts might surprise you! Many salts contain anti-caking agents and even dextrose (sugar). Others have been heat processed and stripped of their natural trace minerals. Real Salt brand, on the other hand, is unrefined and full of natural minerals and flavor – the way salt was meant to be savored.

Real Salt’s unique coloring comes from more than 60 trace minerals, which also lend an amazing flavor that has helped Real Salt become the best-selling brand of sea salt in health food stores. Real Salt is best tasting, healthiest sea salt you can find.

NOTE: The author of this blog has no monetary interest in the sale of Real Salt.

A 2006 study published in The American Journal of Medicine tells us that “sodium intake of LESS THAN 2300 mg (the daily recommended allowance) was associated with a 37% increase in cardiovascular disease mortality and a 28% increase of all-cause mortality”. Mortality is a rather polite word for dying, so in other words, people who consume too little salt are more likely to die than other people. Other peer-reviewed journals have released similar results in 2000, 2004, 2006, and even 1960, and several authors and health experts complain loudly when they hear people dismissing salt. (Scroll down to the bottom for links directly to the reports.)

Warning! At the same time you must not overdo on salt. Always make sure you drink enough water to wash out the excess of salt. As a rule of thumb, per day you need about 3-4 grams for every 10 glasses of water. An easier calculation is a quarter teaspoon of salt per quart of water. Consult your doctor to determine the correct balance of salt and water for your diet!
    References:
    Budwig Diet Center - Natural Alternative Cancer Treatment
    Real Salt Natural Sea Salt. Is Your Salt Real?
    • Clinical Nutrition Full Article The Dietary Guideline for Sodium Blood Pressure
    • American Journal of Med Full Article Sodium Intake and Mortality
    • Health Professional Salt Quotes

Real Salt And Table Salt Aren’t The Same Thing :Kerry Coates' GNLD NeoLife Blog

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    @ Breadsauce

I bought the real salt from Redmonds and it has helped my usually high blood pressure go down to 124 over 81. t2t

Dr. F. Batmanghelidj, MD, the author of “You Are Not Sick, You’re Thirsty!”, explains that salt has many other important functions than just regulating the water content of the body…

Did you know that the salt companies actually don’t make their greatest profits selling salt? Most of the salt sold goes to chemical laboratories and manufacturing companies. Selling salt is actually a side line for salt companies; they make most of their profits pulling out the minerals and selling them back to us through health food stores.

When people started consuming chemically altered (refined) salts 100 years ago, we started seeing high blood pressure and water retention that had never been associated with salt before. In other words, salt can be bad for your health, but real salt is actually a crucial part of good health!

Naturally sun dried sea salt is charged with energy. However, these charged minerals are exactly what your body craves. When charged calcium enters your body, scientists can trace where it goes. And where does it go? Directly to a site where there is a break or a fracture. Charged minerals go right to where they are needed. Dr Langre, in his book “Seasalt’s Hidden Powers”, makes the following points:

1. Our bodies are like the ocean and at the level of our biochemical function, we either get the nutrition we need to maintain this “ocean atmosphere” or we suffer.

2. Violent prisoners given Sea Salt in their diets showed improved behaviors within a few short weeks.

3. Salt is needed for digestion.

4. The sodium of Sea Salt acts differently in your body than the sodium in refined salt.

5. People who dislike salt or have a phobia or intolerance to salt do not realize that they are, in fact, ill.

It hurts my soul every time I hear someone say they don’t use salt. It’s so not true that salt is bad, because without salt, the body would not be alive. But, we use the wrong kind of salt, and in so doing, we make the body sick, and sicker.
    It is best to either cook your own food with sea salt or find special products made with natural sea salt. Read the labels on all foods and drinks you purchase, and be especially aware of foods that have high salt content such as packaged soups, pickled foods, olives, salty snack foods, soy sauces and steak sauces, canned meats, canned soups and veggies, boxed mixes of potatoes and processed luncheon deli meats.

Just don’t buy these products at all, find better alternatives. It might not be that you can’t have these foods, it might be that you just can’t have the type of salt that was used in them. Cook or prepare your own food, and use only REAL, natural salt. Your life depends on it.

Is Your Salt Real?

Real Salt means – well, real, authentic salt. A quick glance at the ingredients label on most salts might surprise you! Many salts contain anti-caking agents and even dextrose (sugar). Others have been heat processed and stripped of their natural trace minerals. Real Salt brand, on the other hand, is unrefined and full of natural minerals and flavor – the way salt was meant to be savored.

Real Salt’s unique coloring comes from more than 60 trace minerals, which also lend an amazing flavor that has helped Real Salt become the best-selling brand of sea salt in health food stores. Real Salt is best tasting, healthiest sea salt you can find.

NOTE: The author of this blog has no monetary interest in the sale of Real Salt.

A 2006 study published in The American Journal of Medicine tells us that “sodium intake of LESS THAN 2300 mg (the daily recommended allowance) was associated with a 37% increase in cardiovascular disease mortality and a 28% increase of all-cause mortality”. Mortality is a rather polite word for dying, so in other words, people who consume too little salt are more likely to die than other people. Other peer-reviewed journals have released similar results in 2000, 2004, 2006, and even 1960, and several authors and health experts complain loudly when they hear people dismissing salt. (Scroll down to the bottom for links directly to the reports.)

Warning! At the same time you must not overdo on salt. Always make sure you drink enough water to wash out the excess of salt. As a rule of thumb, per day you need about 3-4 grams for every 10 glasses of water. An easier calculation is a quarter teaspoon of salt per quart of water. Consult your doctor to determine the correct balance of salt and water for your diet!
    References:
    Budwig Diet Center - Natural Alternative Cancer Treatment
    Real Salt Natural Sea Salt. Is Your Salt Real?
    • Clinical Nutrition Full Article The Dietary Guideline for Sodium Blood Pressure
    • American Journal of Med Full Article Sodium Intake and Mortality
    • Health Professional Salt Quotes

Real Salt And Table Salt Aren’t The Same Thing :Kerry Coates' GNLD NeoLife Blog
    T2T,

Excellent report. This should answer everyone's questions on salt.

Grizz

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    The salt did that to me - went from usual 115 / 75 to 150 / 110. Freaked me out. I have stopped salt altogether now and it's back almost to usual. I think the salt thing is utterly irresponsible - it could cause people to have strokes or die.
    The iodine crowd believes that unrefined salt does not raise your blood pressure, only refined salt does. The more recent science says that salt raises blood pressure for some people, but not for most. Those people who are salt sensitive should be much more careful. I was quite sure I was not salt sensitive and indeed my blood pressure has gone down 5 points or so (from 120 to 115) with the iodine protocol including unrefined salt.

I have slowly worked my way up since January to 25 mg. My goal was to improve the symptoms of subclinical hypothyroidism. After a few days on 25 mg I realized that I have much more energy--I want to get something done instead of sitting around. High energy is interfering with my sleep a little, but I hope I will get used to sleeping when I am not as tired. I feel more confident and positive, no anxiety.
    Last edited by Pamsc; 07-29-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: include more of my own experience

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=oxide;915114

Anyway, I think I'm making some N=1 headway in this thread.
    Megadoses of Iodine are obviously not lethal. 1 mg isn't going to kill you. But high doses are not recommended unless you have a specific medical condition that iodine can treat. (prostrate, fibrocystic, possibly thyroid but ASK YOUR DOCTOR)
    ~2 mg of iodine is probably enough for everybody else.
    The megadose supplement protocol is necessary only if you take megadoses of iodine. (I'm taking about half the amounts).
    Salt is good for immediate detox, but NOT on a daily basis as part of the protocol, especially if you're not taking megadoses of iodine.
    Iodine will get rid of skin moles, but only very slowly and after damaging the skin around it. It may help to use a carrier oil. YMMV.

That said, I am stopping the salt protocol RIGHT NOW. I've been very heavy with the salt for the past month and it already elevated my blood pressure.[/QUOTE]

This is almost exactly the conclusion that I have come to. And it got me put on Grizz's "ignore" list! (which I'm really quite pleased about)
    Last edited by breadsauce; 07-29-2012 at 06:21 AM.