Page 390 of 415 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392400 ... LastLast
Results 3,891 to 3,900 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 390

Grizz is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    The more I read the more I'm inclined to believe my own 'protocol' is the safest and most effective way to get iodine now that I don't use iodized salt. It's written on the back of my kelp tablet bottle "take 2 tablets per day with or before meals".
    If you are happy with this, then why change? No one is telling you to do anything different. To each their own. You are getting a lot more iodine than you were before, so it is an improvement. That is where my wife & I started 6 months ago, with kelp tablets. This is called the Dr. Davis Protocol.
    Thyroid Tune-up Checklist | Wheat Belly Blog

This is a terrific starting point for newbees to get more iodine into their body. It is better than nothing, but not enough to detox the body & remove all the bromide, fluoride & chlorine absorbed over the years. Let us know how you plan to detox your body.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-26-2012 at 08:42 AM.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Excellent Article: Iodine & different parts of the body:
    * Brain
    * Breast
    * Heart
    * Thyroid
    * Immune System
    * Skin
    * Gastrointestinal System
    * Hormones
    * Ovaries
    * Lungs
    * Eyes
    * Bones
    * Blood

Iodine and the Body

Enjoy,
    Grizz
    And what makes this an excellent article??? There is no scientific content to this list of bodily parts - just an assertion. Or several assertions.

No, another randomly grabbed site to support a hypothesis that I am becoming progressively more wary of.

So glad that I didn't start on mega doses as I was tempted to - BELIEVING that someone had actually researched the info that was being put out.

Like all sups, I think if you take them at all, take small amounts unless there is a sound clinical reason to take larger doses - like some of the cases on here.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    If you are happy with this, then why change? No one is telling you to do anything different. To each their own. You are getting a lot more iodine than you were before, so it is an improvement. That is where my wife & I started 6 months ago, with kelp tablets. This is called the Dr. Davis Protocol.
    Thyroid Tune-up Checklist | Wheat Belly Blog

This is a terrific starting point for newbees to get more iodine into their body. It is better than nothing, but not enough to detox the body & remove all the bromide, fluoride & chlorine absorbed over the years. Let us know how you plan to detox your body.

Grizz
    I'm not at all sure that it IS called the Doctor Davis Protocol - I didn't see the word protocol once in the article - which I read sometime last year. He recommends starting with 100 mcg, working up (I can't bear that titrating word) to around 500mcg - 1000 mcg - under the supervision of a doctor.

Why this insistence on the word protocol? Is it to make things sound more important - a bit stronger than "recommends"? And note - it is a recommended dose between 50 and 100 times LESs than the Brownstein recommendations. And by a doctor whose writing, on the whole, I'd go along with, and so trust.

(I know Grizz can't see this - fortunately, I'm on his "Ignore" list - there is something so relaxing knowing that I'm not going to get a response full of capital letters, bolded letters and "Kappish"s". )

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Question on the kelp tablets for those taking them, specifically the males taking them--see they have iron in them and its generally thought best for men to avoid supps containing iron. Any concern there?

jaye is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaye View Post
    I finally have news to report on my endometriosis pain. Yesterday was day 6 of my cycle, my "pain day". I felt only mild twinges which I could easily relieve by relaxing my abdomen. In the past my pain was so bad that I could not even focus on light duty desk work. I would have to take hot baths or relax on the couch all day. Yesterday I felt good enough to take a long hike, check livestock - basically do all of my normal activities. Plus, I felt good enough to have sex on my "pain day." I don't think that has ever happened before!

Background: I have been eating strict primal with no dairy, alcohol, added sweeteners for almost exactly 9 months. I've been supplemeting iodine for about 3 months. My dose is now up to 4 drops of lugol's. I had detox symptoms in the beginning - acne, fatique, low mood, weird aches, chemical body odor. I'm past most of that now. Once in a while, I can still smell the bromide in my sweat.

Anyway, I just wanted to report. It's been a while and the last two cycles felt basically the same painwise. I did notice my blood was a different shade at the start of my period (detox?) the last 2 cycles. Also, my luteal phase shortened a bit. I'm thinking that's temporary.

I'm ecstatic!
    I've really been enjoying the differing viewpoints on this thread lately!

I wanted to update everyone on my progress with endometriosis. After I posted the last time (quote above) I ended up having terrible pain on Day 10 accompanied by a fresh flow of blood (My flow had stopped at the time I had written the above post). That timing and bleeding was totally abnormal and I have a feeling that there was a cyst or fibroid incident/ bursting/ whatever. The next 2 cycles I continued to have less pain and no repeats of the day 10 incident. So that's good.

The not-so-good news is that I started to notice my temperatures staying high during times in my cycle when they should be low. Along with that I had tiny red skin spots on my forearms that started me worrying about skin cancer. This was not a detox reaction because it never receded like the other detoxes I experienced. I decided I needed to stop the iodine temporarily and see if my temps and skin went back to normal. The skin is still healing but is much better. My temps are back to normal. I was up to 50mg.

I think I just can't handle that much iodine. I found a thread on Curezone about forearm lesions that no one could really solve and now I'm wondering if that is a sign of iodine overload. Anyway, it was for me. I'm going to take the iodine urine loading test soon and figure out how much iodoral I'm going to continue with.

Hoss2626 is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE=Paysan;912026]
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post

I dunno, seems like the hypothesis doesn't stand up to experimentation, and that the rats would have recovered in 6 days even with excess iodide (not simply iodine.) And on my ramblings, I read that one doctor never sees any problems arising with 9 drops iodine or less daily. Nor was I able to discern whether this was 2 or 5% Lugols. Nevertheless, I have scaled back my iodine intake to control detox symptoms.
    I had a similar concern and was thinking about scaling back. However, Grizz pointed out that the Iodine in that article was SSKI. SSKI is a 50% solution as opposed to a Lugol's 5% solution. In my math, that means that 9 drops of SSKI = 1 GRAM as opposed to 9 drop of Loguls 5%, which is 0.12 grams. (This is all based on my limited understanding and might not be correct. Check on your own.)

Hoss2626 is offline Junior Member
    I should mention that Mrs Grizz's breasts have improved dramatically since she started on iodine. They were saggy and felt like she had grains of sand. Early stages of FBD? Now they feel like they were 40 years ago. No longer saggy, no more grainy, and fuller. She is now on 12.5mg iodoral with required supplements.

Grizz
    Pictures or it didn't happen.... oh come on I'm just kidding.

Grizz is offline Banned
    I've really been enjoying the differing viewpoints on this thread lately!

I wanted to update everyone on my progress with endometriosis. After I posted the last time (quote above) I ended up having terrible pain on Day 10 accompanied by a fresh flow of blood (My flow had stopped at the time I had written the above post). That timing and bleeding was totally abnormal and I have a feeling that there was a cyst or fibroid incident/ bursting/ whatever. The next 2 cycles I continued to have less pain and no repeats of the day 10 incident. So that's good.

The not-so-good news is that I started to notice my temperatures staying high during times in my cycle when they should be low. Along with that I had tiny red skin spots on my forearms that started me worrying about skin cancer. This was not a detox reaction because it never receded like the other detoxes I experienced. I decided I needed to stop the iodine temporarily and see if my temps and skin went back to normal. The skin is still healing but is much better. My temps are back to normal. I was up to 50mg.

I think I just can't handle that much iodine. I found a thread on Curezone about forearm lesions that no one could really solve and now I'm wondering if that is a sign of iodine overload. Anyway, it was for me. I'm going to take the iodine urine loading test soon and figure out how much iodoral I'm going to continue with.
    tiny red skin spots are typically Cherry Angiomas.

Cherry angiomas are caused by bromine poisoning. Research conducted by Drs. A. D. Cohena, E. Cagnanob, and D. A. Vardya, shows the correlation between bromine poisoning and cherry angiomas.
    Cherry Angiomas - Find the real cause
    Does this look like your condition?

The BAD NEWS is that these little devils are very difficult to get rid of. The article describes a few procedures to get rid of them, so let us know if these procedures work. I have one of these on my chest, and I can say that applying Lugols 5% iodine directly does NOT get rid of it.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-26-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    2004 USDA National Fluoride Database of Selected Beverages and Foods

Good luck getting rid of fluorides in your food supply-
    You will need a LOT of luck:
    avoidance of fluoride in food (good luck) at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1967529)

The actual USDA database

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-26-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    It took Google only 1 second to find this doc, and you could have done it yourself, but instead you COMPLAIN. There are also thousands more documents in the list on the subject of "excess iodine is excreted."
    Grizz
    Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    [The next couple of lines from the same doc] "People with a tendency toward autoimmune thyroid disease are less tolerant of excess iodine. If a person has previously been iodine-deficient, that person may be at risk for iodine-induced hyperthyroidism. Excessive iodine intake by a mother can pose a reproductive risk."

From the top of your iodine references document: "90% of America is severely iodine deficient". So, most people are iodine-deficient, therefore most people "may be at risk for iodine-induced hyperthyroidism" according to the document you quoted. Yet you chose not to include that bit, even though it followed on from the bit you did quote & is very relevant. I think that speaks volumes.
    Any objectivity you had on this topic has completely gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Grizz doesn't seem to want to address how successful small doses can obviously be. And with no need to take masses of cofactors on such small amounts.

As I'm on Grizz's ignore list, perhaps someone could point this out to him? He really needs to address this and explain the apparent paradox, as he is determined to peddle the mega dose Brownstein protocol as being the one, the only and the essential "protocol" for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
    My (new) endo is willing to monitor me and 'hold my thyroid-hand' if I choose to supplement with iodine but we are both in agreement that a gentler protocol is the way to go for me at first if I decide to explore that path. I'm still not convinced this high-dose w/cofactors isn't too dramatic and potentially harmful (for me) or even unnecessary especially when I'm (now) eating real, clean food instead of processed and losing so much weight.

My Dr has twice reduced the dosage of my thyroid med... but solely due to changes in lifestyle and subsequent & continual weightloss. If I'd started with other extra supplementation or self experiments at the same time, I would not have known what has been causing the continuing spontaneous remissions/improvements of my conditions.
    Those confounded confounding variables again!

I was intrigued by the iodine skin test, and found that mine lasted far longer than three minutes - longer the three hours, actually. So I felt I didn't need the mega doses being promoted here, and also felt that, unless someone had a specific condition caused by iodine deficiency, the big doses could well be toxic to many people.

I'm sure that a low dose of iodine is better than none - and almost certainly better than too much! I cannot believe that excess is simply removed in urine. A quick google search produces lots of sites which state that it can be toxic in large doses, and I'd rather believe scientists than someone on a thread like this who has some distinctly questionable beliefs himself.
    Yes, Dr Brownstein saying that there is a CRISIS doesn't make this a problem that you necessarily have.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    After reading more input from people you are calling "trolls' in this thread, I'm extremely glad I didn't drink the high-dose iodine kool-aide and jump straight into it like I almost did. The more I read the more I'm inclined to believe my own 'protocol' is the safest and most effective way to get iodine now that I don't use iodized salt. It's written on the back of my kelp tablet bottle "take 2 tablets per day with or before meals".

If I had only read his reply to my question about the long term dangers that said "the excess just gets excreted" I would assume there's no such thing as iodine poisoning or dangers to high dosages.
    And what makes this an excellent article??? There is no scientific content to this list of bodily parts - just an assertion. Or several assertions.
    No, another randomly grabbed site to support a hypothesis that I am becoming progressively more wary of.
    So glad that I didn't start on mega doses as I was tempted to - BELIEVING that someone had actually researched the info that was being put out.

Like all sups, I think if you take them at all, take small amounts unless there is a sound clinical reason to take larger doses - like some of the cases on here.
    Why this insistence on the word protocol? Is it to make things sound more important - a bit stronger than "recommends"?

(I know Grizz can't see this - fortunately, I'm on his "Ignore" list - there is something so relaxing knowing that I'm not going to get a response full of capital letters, bolded letters and "Kappish"s". )
    Yes, Grizz insists on calling my healthy diet that includes seafood and sea veggies "The Dr. Kruse Protocol". Hah. I was eating this way back when Jack Kruse was still fat.
    It is nice to be on his "ignore" list isn't it?

Sensible plan. Get tested first, then supplement cautiously.

tiny red skin spots are typically Cherry Angiomas.
    Grizz
    "Tiny red spots" could be any number of things from insect bites to allergic reactions to cancer. Or maybe it's an iodine overdose. Since when did you graduate from medical school Grizz?

When I was severely deficient in iodine ( skin patch test disappeared in only 3 minutes) I ordered 2 large boxes of seaweed snacks from Amazon.Com. When they arrived, I could not stop eating them & I ate 6 packages one right after the other ! My body was just craving the seaweed snacks. Sea Gift brand & Annie Chun's brand of Roasted Seaweed Snacks.
    Grizz
    They are yummy but read the labels carefully. I don't know about Sea Gift but IIRC Annie Chun's are made with canola oil. Also look out for MSG and preservatives. I was pleased to find that the Seasnax brand was clean.

Maybe somebody could tell Grizz this since I am on the official out of favor with the High and Mighty list.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-26-2012 at 11:30 AM.