Page 386 of 415 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386387388396 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 386

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Cori & Breadsauce have been added to my IGNORE list with their buddy PaleoBird.

Their constant complaining & crying are adding nothing worthwhile to this thread.

Grizz
    Do you know, I was just about to INSIST that you add me to your ignore list! You obviously are driven wild by common sense and reason - and it is so much better that we can see your wild rantings, without you getting your knickers in a twist (SPIRAL?) by having to read sense.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Cori & Breadsauce have been added to my IGNORE list with their buddy PaleoBird.

Their constant complaining & crying are adding nothing worthwhile to this thread.

Grizz
    they haven't been crying or complaining or trolling and you know it

you might not like reading what they're writing but i do, and from what i see, so do others
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    @Gwynn. The vitamin D3 I take is "Healthy Origins" Vitamin D3 5000 iu. For vitamin A, I either eat liver or take "Green Pastures BLue Ice" fermented cod liver oil. "Life Extension" Super K with advanced K2 complex. It has 1000mcg K1, 1000 mcg K2 mk 4 and 100 mcg K2 mk7. I don't take a regular amount, as I feel that if these vitamins came from food (as they ought) or sunshine, they would not be in regularly metered amounts, but would be sometimes high, sometimes low, depending on what had been hunted, gathered or fished for! So sometimes I'll take all three, sometimes one or two - and sometimes none.

The D3 pill uses pure cold pressed olive oil.
    breadsauce,

Thank you very much. The cod liver oil sounds lovely! I actually remember my grandmother made me take that when I was a kid. I don't think the product I bought yesterday has all three K's in it. I'll have to check. Meanwhile I'll check this product out you take.

OT: Are you anywhere close to where the British Open was held? That was some beautiful country.

Gwynn

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Breadsauce,

Now you are LYING again. I will post this again just for you:

EVERYONE IS EXPECTED TO DO IODINE THEIR WAY.

TO EACH THEIR OWN

You appear to have forgotten about the previous 300+ pages of you telling people what they must do.

I can't figure out if you're genuinely unaware of how you come across, or if you're just a childish bully. I'm hoping it's the former, but blocking everyone who disagrees with you is the Internet equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears & going "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" so I suspect it may be the latter. Oh well, I guess I'll be going on the naughty list too now.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    breadsauce,

Thank you very much. The cod liver oil sounds lovely! I actually remember my grandmother made me take that when I was a kid. I don't think the product I bought yesterday has all three K's in it. I'll have to check. Meanwhile I'll check this product out you take.

OT: Are you anywhere close to where the British Open was held? That was some beautiful country.

Gwynn
    Echoing a thanks to Breadsauce for that K recommendation ... I don't have any yet and have been reading diligently... that sounds like a very good one. All the K bases covered.

For D I use the Carlson D3 drops 4000iu per drop, also good stuff.
    I get zero sun... seriously, zero...for several reasons. It's been that way for a year now.
    And prior to that I was very careful of sun exposure due to pale skin and the intensity of the rays here in FL... especially on the water where I got most of my exposure.
    I take one drop lots of days. Some days I forget. Other days I'll take a couple of drops.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Echoing a thanks to Breadsauce for that K recommendation ... I don't have any yet and have been reading diligently... that sounds like a very good one. All the K bases covered.

For D I use the Carlson D3 drops 4000iu per drop, also good stuff.
    I get zero sun... seriously, zero...for several reasons. It's been that way for a year now.
    And prior to that I was very careful of sun exposure due to pale skin and the intensity of the rays here in FL... especially on the water where I got most of my exposure.
    I take one drop lots of days. Some days I forget. Other days I'll take a couple of drops.
    Yep, I ordered it.LOL! I ordered all the things on the list. Gotta love Amazon's 1-click option. I will have K running out my ears!

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Owly;911303]There's actually quite a bit of research (and I mean real scientific research, not forum posts or random websites) that illustrates significant risks from chronically elevated iodine doses. While iodine deficiency is not good either, it's a case where while some is beneficial, more is not necessarily so. I'm concerned when people say things like "well, I take a lot of it and feel fine" because long-term toxicity can take a while to emerge.

I'm not telling people they shouldn't take iodine--I realize that there are reasons to supplement, and I've read some compelling evidence in credible journals for moderate supplementation particularly for those who don't use iodized salt or consume seafood/seaweed regularly. But it is vitally important to be aware that taking too much of something beneficial can become harmful. Long-term high doses of iodine may cause significant and potentially irreversible health problems, including permanent damage to the thyroid. endquote

OK, I've only checked a couple of those quoted; so if my conclusions are offbase, point me again. However, the 2nd source listed compared kids of various ages from 5 continents including Japan. After going through the blahblah, I have some reservations with their conclusions. Quote: Conclusions: Chronic iodine intakes approximately twice those recommended—indicated by UI concentrations in the range of 300–500 μg/L—do not increase Tvol in children. However, UI concentrations ≥500 μg/L are associated with increasing Tvol, which reflects the adverse effects of chronic iodine excess.Endquote:

OK, fine, but where are the goiter statistics? Supposedly high thyroid induces goiters. It is my understanding that LOW thyroid actions produce goiters. All I read is that they tested, arrived at a figure, and tell us to believe them. Surely the Japanese kids should have had the highest ratios and chronic iodine poisoning. That's not what they said. And the first quoted source had this to say: Quote:
    All animal species appear to have a wide margin of safety for excess I consumption. Dietary I levels of 500 to 1000 times the minimal dietary required level are generally well tolerated in rats, pigs, chickens, and ruminant animals (10). Among the species studied, horses seem to be most susceptible to I toxicity. Chronic consumption of diets with high levels of I, for example, kelp consumption by horses, markedly reduces organic binding of I by the thyroid gland, resulting in goiter in the offspring of mares (10).

Studies by Arrington et al. (13, 14), Ammerman et al. (15), Wilgus et al. (16), and Newton and Clawson (17) in rabbits, hamsters, rats, pigs, and chickens suggest that rats, hamsters, pigs, and chickens can tolerate dietary I levels up to 500 mg/kg, but rabbits experience serious mortality in offspring when 250 mg/kg is fed to the dam in late gestation. Endquote.
    Finally I understand why rabbits aren't fed seaweed. But look at the sheer quantities involved for other animals -500 to 1000 times the RDA. Note that rats nd pigs, our closest animal models , tolerated 500 mg/kg. What? So an 80 kg person under that regime should be able to tolerate (80x500mg)= 4000 mg daily. And NOBODY is getting anywhere near those amounts, AFAIK.

joe2.0 is offline Member
    I think the Nit Pickers are all LIBERALS. The Hallmark of a LIBERAL is they demand that everyone do it THEIR way.
    Grizz
    So this doesn't qualify as a demand to do iodine in a certain way?

[QUOTE = Lunatic = Grizz]
    Breadsauce,
    You are free to do it any way you want at your own peril. We choose to follow the Dr. Brownstein Protocol because each supplement in the protocol has very specific reasons for being there and many thousands of patients have proven out the safety of his protocol.

So, bottom line, If you don't want to follow the Dr. Brownstein procedures exactly, then just go ahead & do it YOUR way. Don't come into this thread CRYING if you get a THYROID STORM, a trip to the EMERGENCY ROOM, 30 lbs of BLOAT, or a face FULL OF ZITS. We will be LAUGHING at you for being so stubborn. Bwahahahaha - Mwahahahaha
    So go right ahead and do it YOUR way and let us know how it works out for you. We like to watch Guinea Pigs do our testing for us. Then WHO will be the irresponsible one ??

Grizz [/QUOTE]

Sounds like a demand to do things in a certain way to me.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    And what is this constant "Kapish??" Speaka the Englisha!
    It's slang for the Italian word capisce, which means "understand". You see it used by Mafia Dons in movies. I imagine Grizz thinks it adds authority to what he says.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Paysan;911880]
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    There's actually quite a bit of research (and I mean real scientific research, not forum posts or random websites) that illustrates significant risks from chronically elevated iodine doses. While iodine deficiency is not good either, it's a case where while some is beneficial, more is not necessarily so. I'm concerned when people say things like "well, I take a lot of it and feel fine" because long-term toxicity can take a while to emerge.

I'm not telling people they shouldn't take iodine--I realize that there are reasons to supplement, and I've read some compelling evidence in credible journals for moderate supplementation particularly for those who don't use iodized salt or consume seafood/seaweed regularly. But it is vitally important to be aware that taking too much of something beneficial can become harmful. Long-term high doses of iodine may cause significant and potentially irreversible health problems, including permanent damage to the thyroid. endquote

OK, I've only checked a couple of those quoted; so if my conclusions are offbase, point me again. However, the 2nd source listed compared kids of various ages from 5 continents including Japan. After going through the blahblah, I have some reservations with their conclusions. Quote: Conclusions: Chronic iodine intakes approximately twice those recommended—indicated by UI concentrations in the range of 300–500 μg/L—do not increase Tvol in children. However, UI concentrations ≥500 μg/L are associated with increasing Tvol, which reflects the adverse effects of chronic iodine excess.Endquote:

OK, fine, but where are the goiter statistics? Supposedly high thyroid induces goiters. It is my understanding that LOW thyroid actions produce goiters. All I read is that they tested, arrived at a figure, and tell us to believe them. Surely the Japanese kids should have had the highest ratios and chronic iodine poisoning. That's not what they said. And the first quoted source had this to say: Quote:
    All animal species appear to have a wide margin of safety for excess I consumption. Dietary I levels of 500 to 1000 times the minimal dietary required level are generally well tolerated in rats, pigs, chickens, and ruminant animals (10). Among the species studied, horses seem to be most susceptible to I toxicity. Chronic consumption of diets with high levels of I, for example, kelp consumption by horses, markedly reduces organic binding of I by the thyroid gland, resulting in goiter in the offspring of mares (10).

Studies by Arrington et al. (13, 14), Ammerman et al. (15), Wilgus et al. (16), and Newton and Clawson (17) in rabbits, hamsters, rats, pigs, and chickens suggest that rats, hamsters, pigs, and chickens can tolerate dietary I levels up to 500 mg/kg, but rabbits experience serious mortality in offspring when 250 mg/kg is fed to the dam in late gestation. Endquote.
    Finally I understand why rabbits aren't fed seaweed. But look at the sheer quantities involved for other animals -500 to 1000 times the RDA. Note that rats nd pigs, our closest animal models , tolerated 500 mg/kg. What? So an 80 kg person under that regime should be able to tolerate (80x500mg)= 4000 mg daily. And NOBODY is getting anywhere near those amounts, AFAIK.
    I'd suggest reading further down the first study to the human toxicity section (Iodine Toxicity and Its Amelioration

"Well over half of adult I goiter patients have been found to ingest inorganic I for a prolonged period, with daily amounts ranging from 18 mg to 1 g (6). Withdrawal of I in these people usually produces a return to the euthyroid condition, and reintroduction of KI generally causes both goiter and hypothyroidism to reappear within 3 weeks (29, 30). Wolff (6) concluded that the relatively rapid reappearance of goiter after reintroduction of I therapy may be the most conclusive test of whether the goiter was, in fact, caused by excess I ingestion. "

And:

"A daily I intake of 10 times (i.e., 1.5 mg/day) the minimum daily adult requirement of 0.15 mg/d may cause I goiter in some people (6)."

For the study of the Japanese children, please see the discussion section of the full text for a more in-depth explanation (High thyroid volume in children with excess dietary iodine intakes).

Goiter simply means an enlarged thyroid, which may occur in hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal