Page 375 of 415 FirstFirst ... 275325365373374375376377385 ... LastLast
Results 3,741 to 3,750 of 4146

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 375

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2.0 View Post
    This thread basically reads like the diary of a madman....I may or may not need iodine but I'd be scared to death to take it no matter whose protocol I followed for fear I too would get a head full of crazy.

It's a tough call however because at the same time I am concerned I may lose various body parts if I don't take it. I'll think I'll risk that over the mental derangement....
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    +1
    Grizz and Paleobird are bad as each other

At least Grizz confines his attitude to this thread. Paleobird seems to heap hers all over the forum, putting people off side all over the place.
    No, Grizz goes to threads where people have serious medical conditions that he knows nothing about and tells them to stop treatment and take iodine immediately and all their problems will magically disappear. This is not so bad if we are talking about dry skin but he also does this in regard to cancer. So I step in and say something about it. Yeah, people putting fellow forum members' lives at risk by giving unsubstantiated medical advice that they are not qualified to dispense gives me an attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    Well, she is kinda like the Queen Bird around here.
    Really??????? I don't think of myself that way at all.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    According to Dr. Joseph Mercola, “Bromines are common endocrine disruptors, and are part of the halide family, a group of elements that includes fluorine, chlorine, and iodine. What makes it so dangerous is that it competes for the same receptors that are used to capture iodine. If you are exposed to a lot of bromine, your body will not hold on to the iodine that it needs. And iodine affects every tissue in your body — not just your thyroid.”

Eat organic as often as possible. Wash all produce thoroughly to minimize pesticide exposure.
    Avoid sodas. Drink natural, filtered water instead.
    If you own a hot tub, look into an ozone purification system. Such systems make it possible to keep the water clean with minimal chemical treatments.
    Avoid eating and drinking (or storing food and water) in plastic. Use glass and safe ceramic containers instead.
    Look for organic whole-grain breads and flour. Grind you own grain, if possible. Look for the “no bromine” or “bromine-free” label on commercial baked goods.
    Grizz
    I'm not always a big Mercola fan but he is spot on about bromine. The ways to avoid it above sound pretty much like the Primal lifestyle (other than the homemade bread part). It would be interesting to do a side by side study of Primal and SAD eaters with equal amounts of iodine going into them.

It's quite possible that Primal peeps don't need as much iodine.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    You have over 6000 posts, for bird's sake.
    That's queen like, girlie.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Hmm...
    I understand the stance.
    However, in my reading of the Brownstein literature it seems that they are speaking of exposure to Halogen chemicals via SAD, not a drastically altered diet and lifestyle that seriously minimizes exposure such as Primal/Paleo... or even other whole foods and low product usage lifestyles.
    Not using products full of bromine, flourine, and chlorine (as in whole house water filtration) would certainly have the effect of a MASSIVE reduction in the exposure and uptake of those chemicals, and thus reduce the need for high doses of iodine in order to effectively balance the body.
    A most relevant paragraph from the source Grizz provided a couple pages back leaped out at me: Quote:Some iodide inhibitors,
    like fluoride and perchlorate, bind to the halide site of
    the symporter without being symported inside the cells.
    They cause oxidative damage to the halide binding site.
    Fluoride and perchlorate are iodide transport inhibitors.
    Bromide and thiocyanate not only attach to the halide
    binding site but are also transported inside the target
    cells, causing further damage by preventing oxidation
    and organification of iodide. Bromide and thiocyanate
    are both iodide transport and iodide utilization inhibitors. Endquote

So, if I am understanding this correctly, a couple of halides damage the receptors only, but bromine actually gets inside the cells and wreaks havoc there; so detoxing requires kicking the bromine out in the face of increased iodine. (ED. And supplements!) And that's where bromaderma gets its name.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    You have over 6000 posts, for bird's sake.
    That's queen like, girlie.
    Yup. +1 for noticing. Did you see how long she has been a member for an average of posts per month? Joined 12-02-2010 19 months, 3 weeks and a day as of today. About 571 days with 6090 posts to date as of the last post. That works out to be over 10 posts per day. She rather fancies her opinion.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

joe2.0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    Yup. +1 for noticing. Did you see how long she has been a member for an average of posts per month? Joined 12-02-2010 19 months, 3 weeks and a day as of today. About 571 days with 6090 posts to date as of the last post. That works out to be over 10 posts per day. She rather fancies her opinion.
    So people are going to start worrying about post counts around here? Gah

Making a single post after taking the time to figure out how many days and posts per day is a lot more concerning than someone posting 10 times a day on a board like this. Not to mention, I am sure that a great many of those 6000 posts helped people. Your post, helps no one.

Quote Originally Posted by joe2.0 View Post
    So people are going to start worrying about post counts around here? Gah

Making a single post after taking the time to figure out how many days and posts per day is a lot more concerning than someone posting 10 times a day on a board like this. Not to mention, I am sure that a great many of those 6000 posts helped people. Your post, helps no one.
    Hey Joe, my post was in response to another poster who noticed the post count. I think that a frequency of posts brings into question the intent of the posts. If you have been reading this thread these past two weeks, she has been leading the charge of a few, who are being highly critical of one person's posts. So far, your post has helped no one. And this is the first day I have seen you here since I started posting on this string last February.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    now now

Grizz, I just juiced an 2/3 of an onion that was about the size of a baseball or a bit larger. It yielded about 4 oz. of juice. For a vidalia onion, it was the first time cutting one that I got teary eyed. There was my sign. Upon drinking it, I got about half way through it when my stomach started doing flip-flops. It was all I could do to keep from wretching it back up. I put a few drops of stevia in the balance and that made it barely palpable. I would give this regimine a big FAIL! Onion juice triples testosterone levels

I am still laughing at myself for this trial.

LJ

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Bromide and thiocyanate
    are both iodide transport and iodide utilization inhibitors.

So, if I am understanding this correctly, a couple of halides damage the receptors only, but bromine actually gets inside the cells and wreaks havoc there; so detoxing requires kicking the bromine out in the face of increased iodine. (ED. And supplements!) And that's where bromaderma gets its name.
    I wonder if the excess bromine would just be flushed out naturally in the face of a Primal diet and lifestyle. My thyroid function was severely impaired after chemotherapy but it has now been restored to normal with just my dietary intake of iodine. The body is capable of amazing self-healing.

Oh, sorry, I thought this thread was about iodine. We could go back to discussing my post count if you want.