Page 369 of 415 FirstFirst ... 269319359367368369370371379 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,690 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 369

  1. #3681
    ljbprrfmof's Avatar
    ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Posts
    366
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    Why the hell are the pro-low dose iodine group belittling/mocking/degrading the pro-high dose iodine group and vice versa. Can we stop bitching about other people and stick to just talking about iodine and your experience on it. If you want to try iodine but are worried about taking it in too high a dose then stick to very small amounts of it, tell us if you get any benefits from it, I'd love to read about that. If you want to go higher because of an illness or something feel free to try that too, lots of people have positive experiences from doing that as well, just know the problems that could potentially arise. Its not like this thread has kept the hazards of high iodine dosing a secret, for example in Grizz's first post on the front page is a big picture of a rash. Why all the hate between the two camps? Like vegans vs paleo, we agree that iodine is great but you are a horrible person and will kill yourself because you believe you need to take iodine in a high/low amounts.

    For me, I've seen great improvements in my menstrual cycle because of my iodine supplementation. For the first time ever this month I had no painful menstrual cramping. I've been taking iodine + the supplements for almost 3 months and i had some painful cramping in the first two months and I was supplementing with very low dose, about 0.5-4mg of iodine. Now, I've worked up to 12.5mg a my menstrual pain is gone. Some might tell me I'm too high, omg that's so unnatural I'm going to die, but I feel much better than before. I probably won't go any higher since I don't think I have a need for that much but that's up to me to decide. If I feel anything negative then I'll mention it, and I'd hope anyone else following this thread would mention their benefits/side effects so we all can be informed on peoples experiences on iodine whether that be in a high/low dose.
    Finally, the first sensible post in this pissing match. Everybody should decide which course of dosing is best for them. My prostrate is broken from before my stroke, worsened by my stroke. It was improved with the much maligned testicle painting. Now I am trying the high dose to see if I can get an erection again. Anyone want to criticize me? Thank you Lizzy.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

  2. #3682
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,173
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    Why the hell are the pro-low dose iodine group belittling/mocking/degrading the pro-high dose iodine group and vice versa. Can we stop bitching about other people and stick to just talking about iodine and your experience on it. If you want to try iodine but are worried about taking it in too high a dose then stick to very small amounts of it, tell us if you get any benefits from it, I'd love to read about that. If you want to go higher because of an illness or something feel free to try that too, lots of people have positive experiences from doing that as well, just know the problems that could potentially arise. Its not like this thread has kept the hazards of high iodine dosing a secret, for example in Grizz's first post on the front page is a big picture of a rash. Why all the hate between the two camps? Like vegans vs paleo, we agree that iodine is great but you are a horrible person and will kill yourself because you believe you need to take iodine in a high/low amounts.

    For me, I've seen great improvements in my menstrual cycle because of my iodine supplementation. For the first time ever this month I had no painful menstrual cramping. I've been taking iodine + the supplements for almost 3 months and i had some painful cramping in the first two months and I was supplementing with very low dose, about 0.5-4mg of iodine. Now, I've worked up to 12.5mg a my menstrual pain is gone. Some might tell me I'm too high, omg that's so unnatural I'm going to die, but I feel much better than before. I probably won't go any higher since I don't think I have a need for that much but that's up to me to decide. If I feel anything negative then I'll mention it, and I'd hope anyone else following this thread would mention their benefits/side effects so we all can be informed on peoples experiences on iodine whether that be in a high/low dose.
    I'm looking hard for these 'potential problems' of high dosages, and they do not appear to be readily accessible other than cryptic comments to see your doctor (presumably so he can talk you down off the cliff), all presented within a subtext of 'ignore your doctor, they don't know anything'.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  3. #3683
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    Why the hell are the pro-low dose iodine group belittling/mocking/degrading the pro-high dose iodine group and vice versa. Can we stop bitching about other people and stick to just talking about iodine and your experience on it. If you want to try iodine but are worried about taking it in too high a dose then stick to very small amounts of it, tell us if you get any benefits from it, I'd love to read about that. If you want to go higher because of an illness or something feel free to try that too, lots of people have positive experiences from doing that as well, just know the problems that could potentially arise. Its not like this thread has kept the hazards of high iodine dosing a secret, for example in Grizz's first post on the front page is a big picture of a rash. Why all the hate between the two camps? Like vegans vs paleo, we agree that iodine is great but you are a horrible person and will kill yourself because you believe you need to take iodine in a high/low amounts.

    For me, I've seen great improvements in my menstrual cycle because of my iodine supplementation. For the first time ever this month I had no painful menstrual cramping. I've been taking iodine + the supplements for almost 3 months and i had some painful cramping in the first two months and I was supplementing with very low dose, about 0.5-4mg of iodine. Now, I've worked up to 12.5mg a my menstrual pain is gone. Some might tell me I'm too high, omg that's so unnatural I'm going to die, but I feel much better than before. I probably won't go any higher since I don't think I have a need for that much but that's up to me to decide. If I feel anything negative then I'll mention it, and I'd hope anyone else following this thread would mention their benefits/side effects so we all can be informed on peoples experiences on iodine whether that be in a high/low dose.
    That was highly edited by Grizz a few days ago. He has been telling people throughout this thread that they must do it his way (a la Brownstein) or the highway. And even saying that he would laugh at them when they developed serious complications and were taken to the hospital. Nice, right?

    I think it's great to get the discussion back on a more even keel where people can discuss their individual experiences and make up their own minds. You can choose to get your iodine via foods as I do or choose supplementation at a level that suits you.

    The thing that people need to be aware of is that most people, despite what Brownstein who is trying to sell you books and supps would have you believe, don't have a huge problem with iodine deficiency and that a very small amount is sufficient. If people are taking larger doses for specific medical conditions with a doctor monitoring them, great. If they are doing n=1 with a potentially lethal substance just because some ranting individual with a very tenuous grasp on reality on an MDA thread said to, that is a problem.

    I'm glad you are feeling better.

  4. #3684
    lizzychan5's Avatar
    lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I'm looking hard for these 'potential problems' of high dosages, and they do not appear to be readily accessible other than cryptic comments to see your doctor (presumably so he can talk you down off the cliff), all presented within a subtext of 'ignore your doctor, they don't know anything'.
    Are you serious? I was mentioning this, you must of skimmed passed it.

    THIS COULD BE YOU IF YOU TAKE TOO MUCH IODINE TOO SOON:

    Photo of Bromide Detox from excessive bromide toxins being released into the bloodstream.
    If you don't understand what Grizz was getting at, he was trying to say this: If you take too much iodine too soon without the recommended supplements you may get this rash.

    No one says you have to take so much iodine to give you that rash, no one is telling you to take iodine at all. It was a warning if you wanted to try iodine, and there are potential problems that might arise if you take iodine.
    Last edited by lizzychan5; 07-23-2012 at 02:17 PM.

  5. #3685
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,719
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I'm looking hard for these 'potential problems' of high dosages, and they do not appear to be readily accessible other than cryptic comments to see your doctor (presumably so he can talk you down off the cliff), all presented within a subtext of 'ignore your doctor, they don't know anything'.
    Several posts have been made recently that have noted some of the problems with high doses of iodine in addition to the rashes etc, one of those issues is the fact that it can actually cause one to become hypothyroid.

    I've never advocated the alarmist stance that taking the large doses is going to necessarily cause someone to keel over, but toxicity symptoms have been noted at even moderate "high" dosages, and messing about with ones thyroid with no idea of your starting levels or the effect of the supplement on the levels subsequently seems pretty risky to me.

    I think that T2T's most recent post says it best when he references having blood panels taken to monitor TSH and T3/T4 while supplementing at higher dosages.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  6. #3686
    breadsauce's Avatar
    breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    Are you serious? I was mentioning this, you must of skimmed passed it.



    If you don't understand what Grizz was getting at, he was trying to say this: If you take too much iodine too soon without the recommended supplements you may get this rash.

    No one says you have to take so much iodine to give you that rash, no one is telling you to take iodine at all. It was a warning if you wanted to try iodine, and there are potential problems that might arise if you take iodine.
    NO !! NOT this photo again! It proves nothing - NOTHING. I have photos of my arms looking like that from midge bites. And if it IS from iodine - it could just as easily be from an overdose as from bromide detox.

    And - Lizzy - you are now saying what I have been saying for many posts. This thread IS important - and we have to have room for those who want to take large doses, and those (like me) who want to take small.

    It is ONLY Grizz who INSISTS we all have to take HUGE doses. I really think the rest of us tend to agree - go with what suits you.

  7. #3687
    breadsauce's Avatar
    breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That was highly edited by Grizz a few days ago. He has been telling people throughout this thread that they must do it his way (a la Brownstein) or the highway. And even saying that he would laugh at them when they developed serious complications and were taken to the hospital. Nice, right?

    I think it's great to get the discussion back on a more even keel where people can discuss their individual experiences and make up their own minds. You can choose to get your iodine via foods as I do or choose supplementation at a level that suits you.

    The thing that people need to be aware of is that most people, despite what Brownstein who is trying to sell you books and supps would have you believe, don't have a huge problem with iodine deficiency and that a very small amount is sufficient. If people are taking larger doses for specific medical conditions with a doctor monitoring them, great. If they are doing n=1 with a potentially lethal substance just because some ranting individual with a very tenuous grasp on reality on an MDA thread said to, that is a problem.

    I'm glad you are feeling better.

    Again, the voice of reason. Thanks, Paleobird. You stop me despairing!

  8. #3688
    lizzychan5's Avatar
    lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That was highly edited by Grizz a few days ago. He has been telling people throughout this thread that they must do it his way (a la Brownstein) or the highway. And even saying that he would laugh at them when they developed serious complications and were taken to the hospital. Nice, right?

    I think it's great to get the discussion back on a more even keel where people can discuss their individual experiences and make up their own minds. You can choose to get your iodine via foods as I do or choose supplementation at a level that suits you.

    The thing that people need to be aware of is that most people, despite what Brownstein who is trying to sell you books and supps would have you believe, don't have a huge problem with iodine deficiency and that a very small amount is sufficient. If people are taking larger doses for specific medical conditions with a doctor monitoring them, great. If they are doing n=1 with a potentially lethal substance just because some ranting individual with a very tenuous grasp on reality on an MDA thread said to, that is a problem.

    I'm glad you are feeling better.
    When I started reading this thread 3 months ago that post looked like that, and I've read this whole thread. Grizz edited it a few days ago just to fix the disclaimer.

    It must be nice to live in an area near the ocean where iodine rich foods is plentiful, and you don't have to worry about it. I live in the Midwest, this area very well known for being extremely iodine deficient, people here have to relay mostly on just iodized salt. Iodine rich seafood that's wild caught is very expensive to get shipped here. I don't take iodized salt because I believe its bad for me, I don't consume much fish because its so costly, so my typical diet is extremely iodine lacking. A bottle of lugol's plus the supplements is very cheap in comparison. Not so long ago a large amount of the population around here suffered from goiter.

    I've read this whole thread and I have yet to read of one person needing to go to the hospital because of iodine. If there was such a person, I'd hope they'd share their story so we don't follow what they did that landed them in the hospital. I have read a lot of people taking large doses of iodine and not experiencing any problems, that doesn't mean a problem can't arise. If there was someone who just jumped right in and took a high dose of iodine all by itself with no supplements probably will have a serious side effect and need to go to the hospital, but no one recommends that. Its always been go very very slow, take the recommended supplements, back off if you notice a problem. And again, if your scared to take iodine then don't, stick to iodine in food-only. If someone would want to try to supplement Grizz has laid out a nice safe way to slowly do so.

    Please, can we stop with all the negativity and talk about your experience on iodine, if you even have any.

  9. #3689
    breadsauce's Avatar
    breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,146
    But Lizzy, if you've read the thread you will have seen several people (myself included) who use SMALL amounts of iodine - with excellent results. I agree with some of what you say - this thread should be for small and large dose iodine users. Let's see what the results are and who benefits from what.

    I HAVE had a problem with some of the supplements; salt specifically. My blood pressure shot up over only 3 weeks - from 115/75 for YEARS to 150 / 115. And the only thing I have changed is - salt loading. Not for me, any more. It is plain dangerous - for me.

    Any one else have bad results from supps?

  10. #3690
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,719
    I cannot consume any salt due to medical reasons...

    And I have a know history of severe reaction to B3 (ATP Cofactors = 100mg B2, 500mg B3) at even a moderate dose (the flushing- red itchy face/chest, complete with dizzyness, sudden drops in my BP which is already very low, and heart palpitations, nausea)... so I won't take that in any but the smallest amounts found in a normal multivitamin. NIACIN AND NIACINAMIDE VITAMIN B3: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-23-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •