Page 367 of 415 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369377 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,670 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 367

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Primal Fuel
    The cysts of FBD do not become cancer. That is very clear based on reliable cited scientific research.
    And your cites, Cori? They are cites for your link but your 'reliable scientific research' only has the adjective of being cited.

LJ
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Dr. Brownstein has done all of that. See the details in Iodine References:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Grizz
    Ok, I've read through that document. It's fairly weighty, so I won't pretend to have memorised it.

If I understand the document correctly, 100mg/day is the point at which the document recommends you should consult with your doctor.

And a quick google turns up this article (published here) found that
    So the findings suggest that people -- at least in China -- should get no more than 800 micrograms a day, according to the researchers, led by Wanqi Zhang of Tianjin Medical University.

That's different from what's recommended in the U.S., where National Institutes of Health guidelines say the safe upper limit for adults is 1,100 micrograms of iodine per day.

<snip>

The current findings are based on 256 healthy adults who had normal thyroid when they entered the study. Zhang's team, which did not respond to requests for comment, randomly assigned them to take one of 12 doses of supplemental iodine -- anywhere from 0 to 2,000 micrograms per day, for four weeks.

Of the people who took 400 micrograms, 5 percent developed subclinical hypothyroidism. And the numbers rose in tandem with the iodine dose: Of people on the highest dose (2,000 micrograms per day), 47 percent developed subclinical hypothyroidism.

"These are interesting data," Pearce said, "because we don't have a lot of information on iodine excess."

Subclinical hypothyroidism has no obvious symptoms, but studies have linked it to an increased risk of heart disease over the long term, Pearce noted.
    That's comparing 400 micrograms (from the journal article) with 100,000 micrograms (from Grizz's iodine reference).

Is subclinical hypothyroidism something that we should not be worried about?

Edit: I see you know about it. Not sure that I see anything that passes for a 'rebuttal' of it however. Could you please copy/paste it or link me to it?
    Last edited by magicmerl; 07-22-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member
    Quick question: How much iodine/iodide is in each drop of Lugol's 5% (approximately)?? Someone asked me and I just don't know since I use the Iodoral. I use Lugols topically for everything else (lumps on the dog, bites, deep scratches etc).

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DuhPrincess View Post
    Quick question: How much iodine/iodide is in each drop of Lugol's 5% (approximately)?? Someone asked me and I just don't know since I use the Iodoral. I use Lugols topically for everything else (lumps on the dog, bites, deep scratches etc).
    Lugol's 5% = Iodine 2.5 mg, Iodide 3.75 mg = 6.25 mgs total per drop
    Lugol's 2% = Iodine 1.0 mg, Iodide 1.5 mg = 2.5 mgs total per drop

(info taken from "The Guide to Supplementing with Iodine" by Stephanie Buist ND HC)
    Last edited by lizzychan5; 07-22-2012 at 07:40 PM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    And your cites, Cori? They are cites for your link but your 'reliable scientific research' only has the adjective of being cited.

LJ
    It was posted earlier... which was what I was pointing out. The cites were in the link to the scientific journal articles that I posted, as they should be. Easy to find for further investigation if one wishes.

The site with info on teratomas is littered with cites... all you have to do to see the list of source materials and look them up to read the full text is to click on the little numbers at the ends of the sentences. That's how cites are done.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-22-2012 at 08:27 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird,
    Nobody cares about your stupid medical texts. If the medical texts were so good, then doctors would not be insisting on mastectomies to cure Fibrocystic Breasts when a $16 bottle of iodine cures the condition, would they?

Grizz
    Actually, I care about Paleobird's medical texts - usually properly researched and therefore very much more valid than anecdote.

My concerns about pushing these very high levels of iodine intake - and from many of the anecdotal "cures" that you have reported, Grizz, it appears that SHORT TERM high dosage use has improved health for some people - I worry that LONG TERM use will undermine health - possibly severely.

And I don't care about the Brownstein protocol at all - I prefer the more measured approach of Dr Gaby.

And please stop calling people who disagree with you trolls - cori, paleobird, radial head etc could just as easily (and justifiably) accuse you of troll activity.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    I had two previous heart attacks with the 2nd one causing me to lose over 60% of my heart muscle, leaving me with an Ejection Fracture of 25%. I searched forever to find something to help me too FEEL better. Iodine was it. I started out slowly and worked my way up to over 100 MILLIgrams daily for over 4 years, approaching 5 years now. I even went up to over 500 milligrams a day for two months too cure my bleeding ulcers. I had the pylori bacteria. I have gotten blood work every 3 months for most of those years checking my TSH levels which has remained at 1.37 give or take a tenth. It was iniatially less than .30 indicating I was Hyperthyroid before I started IODINE. But I started my selenomethionine shortly after the iodine. And of course the D3, and K2 mk4 were lifechanging for me too. Only in recent times have I started the Cofactors and they do make me feel a little better.

So I wonder if the Chinese study included selenomethionine, especially selenomethionine which protects the thyroid when going to the larger doses?

And does the fact that I have a weaker heart pump than normal make my taking larger doses all this time, unique for me versus one with a normal heart which would dis-clude me from this study?

There are other Factors to consider before subclinical hypothyroidism is treated. It is considered a very mild form.

Sub-Clinical Hypothyroidism - To Treat or Not? - Thyroid Problems: Information About Thyroid Disease, Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism and Thyroid Disorders on MedicineNet.com

So if one tries iodine supplication, small or large, bloodwork to check for overall thyroid health is paramount. I don't know all the answers for everyone but I know what works for me.

t2t
    Last edited by t2t; 07-23-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: typos

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    It was posted earlier... which was what I was pointing out. The cites were in the link to the scientific journal articles that I posted, as they should be. Easy to find for further investigation if one wishes.

The site with info on teratomas is littered with cites... all you have to do to see the list of source materials and look them up to read the full text is to click on the little numbers at the ends of the sentences. That's how cites are done.
    My bad. Thank you.

LJ
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    PaleoBird & Cori,

There are only FACTS, as proven by many members of this forum. This is very simple, ladies. Iodine cures a Pandoras Box of health problems, most recently proven by Ferti.

So now stop trolling this thread already, and good riddance.

Can someone else chime in here to get rid of these PESTS?

Grizz
    They aren't "trolling this thread" any more than you are. You sir do not own this thread, and therefore do not get to decide who posts here. I for one welcome other points of view. If you don't, then gosh, I guess that's just tough. This is a message board.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is Grizz joking? His behaviour is so crazy I can't tell if it is an inside joke!

Or is he actually taking the piss about this Dr?

Or just obsessed with iodine and deluded this is his thread and his mission and he must lead the masses?

But it is an inside joke, right?