Page 363 of 415 FirstFirst ... 263313353361362363364365373413 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 363

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    Breast Cysts and Cancer | Yahoo! Health

A nurse's report/article, not a study. Yes that cleared up my confusion. But, do you have any scientific studies to back up your claim and this Yahoo article? I mean, it is what you were asking of Grizz.
    That's like asking me for a scientific study proving that cancer is not a fungus. They are two different things. It's definitional.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That's like asking me for a scientific study proving that cancer is not a fungus. They are two different things. It's definitional.
    Well there has to be a medical book somewhere that lists the definition of a breast cyst and its connection to a breast cancer tumor.

LJ
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    I've been on iodine high dose Started in February. My breast cysts are gone. I don't know who annoys me more Grizz or Paleobird.
    Ferti,

Haw Haw that was the funniest thing I've seen all week, calling her Yuckbird !

Congratulations and wonderful news about your Fibrocystic breasts. I am so happy for you. Can you give us more information for our other members & for our testimonials? Were your cysts painful yet? How high of a dosage did you finally go to?

You are another shining beacon to women around the world that there is more than Mastectomies to cure Fibrocystic Breasts. What was your doctor telling you about your breasts?

Grizz

Paleobird Guest
    Well there has to be a medical book somewhere that lists the definition of a breast cyst and its connection to a breast cancer tumor.

LJ
    cyst - definition of cyst in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/cancer

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Breast Cysts and Cancer | Yahoo! Health

A nurse's report/article, not a study. Yes that cleared up my confusion. But, do you have any scientific studies to back up your claim and this Yahoo article? I mean, it is what you were asking of Grizz.

LJ
    Since cysts and cancers are two different things there aren't rally studies that say one is not the other. This is a matter of medical terminology, those two things are simply inherently different. |

However... the studies that are available, such as this one ( Breast cancer in women with palpable breast cysts : The Lancet ) state that cysts do not become cancer... but there is one particular type of cyst (also the least common type) that indicates an increased incidence of cancerous masses forming along side them. The increase in risk for breast cancer among women with this particular type of cyst is about 5%. And, further, that simply no longer having cysts does not reduce that risk to the woman. If she is prone to the cysts associated with increased breast cancer, she has an increased risk of breast cancer even if cysts are not present.

I posted a good article outlining this previously...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Since cysts and cancers are two different things there aren't rally studies that say one is not the other. This is a matter of medical terminology, those two things are simply inherently different. |

However... the studies that are available, such as this one ( Breast cancer in women with palpable breast cysts : The Lancet ) state that cysts do not become cancer... but there is one particular type of cyst (also the least common type) that indicates an increased incidence of cancerous masses forming along side them. The increase in risk for breast cancer among women with this particular type of cyst is about 5%. And, further, that simply no longer having cysts does not reduce that risk to the woman. If she is prone to the cysts associated with increased breast cancer, she has an increased risk of breast cancer even if cysts are not present.

I posted a good article outlining this previously...
    Which was no doubt ignored because all the conspiracy theories were more salacious.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Paysan, read posts 3561 (by Cori) and 3575. Serious research by scientists, one of whom is studying iodine and its effects on the body. He stresses how important it is and how much needed. But what you are calling "bromaderma" looks very like overdosing on iodine to the point of toxicity. I certainly wouldn't read it as confirmation that you need this level of iodine.
    I have read that treatise, a couple of times. It has a lot of sound information BUT (you knew that was coming, didn't you?) there is no mention of what has filled iodine receptors to the exclusion of the iodine. Bromine takes precedence over fluorine, takes precedence over chlorine (think that's the correct order of the first 3 halogens) and fluorine kicks the snot out of iodine.The cells seemingly grab iodine last in the lineup. Therefore, it makes no sense to continue exposure to brominated flour products (and swimming pools), drink fluoridated water, and use chlorine bleach as a germicide, and take iodine, too. Here's an excerpt from chemguide.co.uk
    Fluorine

We'll have to exclude fluorine from this descriptive bit, because it is too strong an oxidising agent. Fluorine oxidises water to oxygen and so it is impossible to do simple solution reactions with it.

Chlorine, bromine and iodine

In each case, a halogen higher in the Group can oxidise the ions of one lower down. For example, chlorine can oxidise the bromide ions (in, for example, potassium bromide solution) to bromine:

The bromine appears as an orange solution. Endquote

So, although I quit eating flour products years ago, don't drink fluoridated/chlorinated water unless I visit the city, drive OLD cars and have curtailed most of my bleach use, I am still being exposed to halogens daily, plus what may be stored in my cells from years gone by. Therefore, I do think my reaction may be considered a detox, not an iodine toxicity symptom. But I will agree that likely I do not need or can handle tha amounts some people can and do.

Grizz is offline Banned
    The best report on fibrocystic breasts vs Cancer comes from Dr. Derry, found in Iodine References in the chapter Fibrocystic Breasts:

"Fibrocystic disease of the breast consists of small or large, sometimes painful lumps in women’s breasts. It varies in the way it shows—not only in different women, but also because it changes from month to month in the same women. Medical doctors generally believe that fibrocystic disease results from the excess number of cells that grow in the breast during the menstrual cycle from the hormonal stimulation.

"Since the number of cells increases in the breast during the cycle, some of the cells have to be removed to restore the normal state each month. Iodine is the trigger mechanism that causes excess cells to disappear to complete this normal process of cell death. Without enough iodine, the extra cells that develop during the menstrual cycle due to the hormonal stimulation do not resolve back to the normal breast architecture. These leftover cells build up over repeated cycles and cause the lumps, soreness, and larger lesions of fibrocystic disease.

"However, while about 90 percent of North American women have fibrocystic disease, about 40 percent of these women experience no symptoms. Their breasts may be normal to examination, but the disease may be only microscopically detectable with a biopsy.

"Enough iodine enables the excess cells to be cleared out, and the breast can return to its normal resting state as the fibrocystic disease slowly disappears from the breast.

"Fibrocystic disease over decades of hormonal stimulation eventually tends to cause some cells to change to cancer cells. Lack of iodine causes fibrocystic disease, so women who have fibrocystic disease are susceptible to breast cancer. Although breast scars from fluid leakage out of the cysts are often permanent, iodine given therapeutically in the correct doses gradually gets rid of all fibrocystic disease except for the scars.

"How much iodine is enough? It has been shown that daily doses of iodine above two to three milligrams per day (about half a drop from a standard eyedropper) saturate the thyroid within a couple of weeks. At this point, the thyroid gland stops taking up iodine. This means that at a dietary intake above two to three milligrams, all of the iodine goes to all its other functions in the body, such as killing off abnormal cells."

"Iodine remains the perfect antiseptic with the least side effects of all time. As a perfect antiseptic killing all single-celled organisms, there has to be a common mechanism of a single element like iodine. In fact, the reaction of iodine with tyrosine destroys the protein and consequently the cell itself. If, in vertebrates and multicellular organisms, the tyrosine molecule is hidden from the surface when it is normally functioning, the iodine will not trigger any apoptosis. However, during abnormal development, it could be that tyrosine or histidine molecules are slowly exposed to the surface. Extracellular iodine bathing the cells could then trigger the apoptotic mechanisms.

"The second phase of cancer spread involves thyroid hormone indirectly. The connective tissue barrier and function is controlled and strengthened by adequate levels of connective tissue thyroid hormone. Thus thyroid hormone controls the connective tissue barrier, and prevents the spread of cancer cells.

"Iodine in adequate doses prevents the development of cancer cells, and adequate thyroid hormone in the connective tissue prevents the spread."

Breast Cancer and Iodine: How to Prevent and How to Survive Breast Cancer (Book)
    David M. Derry, MD
    Trafford Publishing, Victoria, Canada, 2001.

"Iodine is the trigger mechanism for apoptosis (that natural death of cells) and the main surveillance mechanism for abnormal cells in the body. Iodine triggers the death of cells which are abnormal or which have normal programmed death as part of their life cycle.

"This is part of a general thesis that iodine and thyroid hormone act as a team to provide a constant surveillance against abnormal cell development, chemicals that are carcinogenic and the spread of cancer cells within the body.

"Iodine appears to have several more roles in the body. Iodine protects against abnormal growth of bacteria in the stomach (helicobacter pylori is the most clinically significant.) Iodine can coat incoming allergic proteins to make them non-allergic, which likely also applies to the internal equivalent called autoimmune disease. Iodine binds softly to the double and triple bond of lipids to protect these bonds while they are being transported to synaptic sites in the brain and blood vessels of the body. As well iodine in the stomach deactivates all biological and most chemical poisons.

"All of these new proposed testable functions of iodine are discussed. There is a discussion of the possible role of iodine in evolution in relation to development of multi-cellularity and maturation of vertebrates.

"The general thesis of this took is that there is a specific dose of iodine intake above which it prevents several disease processes including those related to fibrocystic disease and breast cancer."
    Derry. Iodine and the Breast -- Research
    MUCH more on fibrocystic breasts in Iodine References: See the chapter, Fibrocystic Breasts.
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Grizz

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Except these are not really medical books, are they? So finding on the internet is what you are complaining of Grizz and his obvious passion.

LJ
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Paleobird Guest
    Excerpts from the latest Grizz wall of text:

[QUOTE]"Fibrocystic disease over decades of hormonal stimulation eventually tends to cause some cells to change to cancer cells. Lack of iodine causes fibrocystic disease, so women who have fibrocystic disease are susceptible to breast cancer."[QUOTE]

"Tends"? "Some"? Get some quantifiable data in here if you want to call yourself a doctor, Dr. Derry. Oh, that's right, you only want to sell your book to frightened women.

[QUOTE]"This is part of a general thesis that iodine and thyroid hormone act as a team to provide a constant surveillance against abnormal cell development, chemicals that are carcinogenic and the spread of cancer cells within the body."[QUOTE]

Asserting a "general thesis" is not proof of anything.