Results 3,581 to 3,590 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 359

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    real research along with n=1 experiments

<3
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    I would think they probably do, and I've never said otherwise. Whether some/all is absorbed by the root system, or broken down by the plant, or by harvesting/processing, I know not.

Do I think your government are deliberately putting fluoride into food to control the population? Err... no.
    Farms are not paying for city water to irrigate... really.
    Do you have any idea what that would cost... it's just not done.
    They run wells and natural water sources.
    Washing foods for packaging is a different story.

Fluoride is pretty easy to avoid IMO (as is bromine)... I don't eat packaged products.
    The fluoride in fruits/veg is from natural calcium fluoride and not a concern IMO.
    Wash it before consuming to remove any fluoride from processing/packaging.
    Have a whole house water filtration system inf you live in the city... I have one.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    real research along with n=1 experiments

<3
    <3
    I'd only add one word...
    real research along with informed n=1 experiments
    <3
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-20-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Farms are not paying for city water to irrigate... really.
    Do you have any idea what that would cost...
    I've no idea, I live in a sensible country; we don't have such concerns...

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    I've no idea, I live in a sensible country; we don't have such concerns...
    Oops... I responded to your response to what I was actually responding to.
    Anyway.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    The sad thing is, is that the government gets the tax payers of the U.S. to pay for having fluoride added to our drinking water.

The cost is easily millions and millions of dollars to put fluoride in the water.

It costs a lot of money to dispose of hazardous waste. (Any kind) So the government wins both ways.

Do I think your government is deliberately putting fluoride into food to control the population? Err... no.
    I never said anything about population control. To make us sick and make MONEY, yes that is their goal and what I think.

Again thank you about the Japanese study. It dispels thousands of magazine articles through the years about the 12.5 mgs on iodine from kelp. But I have read that some forms of brown kelp have as much as 8000 micrograms per gram of kelp. Others say 4000 micrograms per gram of kelp. I believe if one can get a reliable safe staple of kelp that is the way to go.

Redialhead, I apologize for my demeanor at times regarding Iodine and all the halogens. I dont always write what Im thinking down clearly. But my doctors had me on so many drugs after my heart attacks. Zocor and 200 mgs of amiodarone ( it has 78 mgs of iodine in it). I took it for eight months and one day I looked at the side effects and one of them was that it can turn the skin permanently Grey. I immediately threw it in the trash can. There was a warning that came out later from the FDA about Zocor and Aramodone being a deadly combo.

The third medicated stent I had put in caused me to form a large life threatening Clot in my heart a year later. I was put on Coumadin and Plavix for a year then.

I apologize to you Breadsauce too and anyone if I have come off as cross. (I am but against my heart doctors) Truly Iodine has saved me. I first learned of iodine over 30 years ago from a book by Dr. Jarvis: Vermont folk medicine, but the skull and crossbones on the iodine bottle deterred me from trying his iodine and selenium protocol.

Oh. how i wished i had went ahead and started it.

t2t
    Last edited by t2t; 07-25-2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: staple amiodarone mis spell

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    To cori,

I meant the iodine from kelp.

I meant mostly the bad halogens. I know chloride is needed in digestion. Thanks for straighting me out.

So cori, did you hate the Dr.truss link I posted?

Am I still held. in a slim view, in your court??

Our water company doesn't add fluoride.

Damn, I hate it when I miss out on all the fun government conspiracies!

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    A lot of U.S. counties still do. But some are getting it repealed.

International Anti-Fluoridation Database

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Radialhead;906542]They're getting 1 - 3 mg/day according to the latest research I can find. E.g. Thyroid Research | Full text | Assessment of Japanese iodine intake based on seaweed consumption in Japan: A literature-based analysis If you've got a more recent journal source with references showing 12.5 mg/day, please provide the link. Endquote

I looked up that reference paper - veddy interestink! First off, older people eat far more seaweed (x4) than the younger generations; so perhaps we are dealing with acceptable figures from an age gone by. Here is an excerpt from that article:
    As the Japanese transitioned from a traditional to a Westernized diet, beginning around the 1950's [20], consumption of certain seaweed species declined while others increased. A decrease in kombu consumption (844 to 685 g/year per household) and an increase in wakame consumption (727 to 1234 g/year per household) can be seen between the years of 1963 and 1973 [21]. Consumption of kombu per Japanese household dropped further to 450 g in 2006 (elders ate up to four times more than those under the age of 29) [19]. Since daily seaweed consumption per person in Japan has remained relatively consistent over the last 40 years (4.3 g/day in 1955 and 5.3 g/day in 1995) [22], it is believed that consumption of wakame and nori have made up for the decline in kombu consumption [23,24]. Both nori and wakame have relatively low iodine contents compared to kombu. Endquote

So, it's not only the quantity, but the species of seaweed that can make a difference. If the older generation ate 4 times the amount of kombu with its much higher iodine content, then possibly these researchers could be off in their recommendations by a factor of 4. Also keep in mind that the younger generation (29 years) has not yet had to deal with breast and prostate cancers. So yes, it's entirely possible that older Japanese thrived on their 12 mg iodine daily. We all realize that our diets have changed radically in the last generation as well. Does that figure of 12 mg scare me? Not really.
    Last edited by Paysan; 07-20-2012 at 02:35 PM.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I finally have something conclusive to report about moles and iodine. I had a mole on my hip that's been there for several years, it's shape had been changing which caused me some concern. Several people mentioned trying iodine on moles so I'd thought I'd give it a try. At first I just put the iodine directly on the mole even though I read what Grizz said about using a carrier oil; I was impatient. Sure enough I could see it was doing something to the mole, but the skin did get irritated. So then I mixed the iodine with some leftover salve that I had and started using that regularly. If you mix iodine with oil make sure you put it an opaque container, I used a brown glass jar. Very shortly I could see that the mole was changing; it started to itch and parts of it flaked off. Now you can barely even tell where it was. I also have been putting it on a mole on the back of my hand, this one is no longer raised and looks more like an age spot than a mole. I will continue to apply the iodine cream on that one and I am pretty confident that it will completely go away like the other one.
    Thank you for your research!!! How long did this take, overall?

I'm not having the same success, but I'm having some success.

Toe moles: began as brown spots when I was younger, but they began to darken and raise in the past year. After 2.5 months of applying iodine and scraping away and pulling off too mcuh skin, the moles are now barely noticeable spots. I'm going back to the band-aid to see if i can get a final peel.

Hip Mole: Used to be dark brown and very slightly raised. Now it's a sort of dark brownish gray -- just like an age spot, as urban forager said. I thought I pried off the last of it, but Nope. This must be a deep one.

Flesh colored mole: no luck at all here. There's plenty of scabbing, which PI yank off with tweezers, but the underlying bump just doesn't decrease at all.

Today I started on a new mole: a cherry angioma (little red spot). It's very small (0.75 mm or so) and I want to see how that works.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.