Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    Rubbish! Yes I agree.

2004 USDA National Fluoride Database of
    Selected Beverages and Foods
    For Full Report on USDA Website
    CLICK HERE

Intended goal of fluoridation: Delivery of 1 milligram of fluoride per day

1 milligram/liter = 1ppm (parts per million)
    **mcg/100g = ppm * 100 (beverages corrected for specific gravity)

USDA Fluoride Content in Foods and Beverages
    You said: "Plus the government is putting Fluoride in all the fast food, foods in the grocery stores and medicines." Posting a list of the fluoride content of different foods does not support that claim. Where is the data proving that the government are adding fluoride to 'all the fast food, foods in the grocery store'? You won't find any because it doesn't exist. Just think for a second about the logistics of doing that to the hundreds of thousands of different sources of food from all over the world, & doing it without anyone knowing, & you'll hopefully see it's just another ridiculous conspiracy theory.

There are enough verifiable facts to support supplementing with iodine - you don't have to invent stuff.

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member
    Thank you Radialhead on the Japanese study.

As to flouride being added to almost everything, Rubbish indeed.!

2004 USDA National Fluoride Database of
    Selected Beverages and Foods
    For Full Report on USDA Website

CLICK HERE: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...e/fluoride.pdf

Intended goal of fluoridation: Delivery of 1 milligram of fluoride per day

1 milligram/liter = 1ppm (parts per million)
    **mcg/100g = ppm * 100 (beverages corrected for specific gravity)

USDA Fluoride Content in Foods and Beverages

US Admits Too Much FLuoride in Tap Water and Recommends Lower Levels

Perchlorate blocks the absorption of iodine. Don’t you think it’s terrible iodine was being added to BABY formula. Heavens forbid…

"It's important to note that infant formula contains iodine and that iodine would be expected to ameliorate any potential effects that perchlorate would have," Ben Blount, PhD, Chief of the CDC's Perchlorate Biomonitoring Laboratory, tells Webmd.

Rocket Fuel Chemical Perchlorate Found in Powdered Infant Formula
    Interesting. It seems that because the gov't insists on fluoridating most of the water supplies, fluoride ends up in most of our food supply. If you drink a can of beer, you're ingesting fluoride because it was brewed from fluoridated water. And we aren't talking the natural "good" fluoride...this "fluoride" is actually toxic waste bought from China that is dumped into municipal water supplies. And why do they do this? Fluoride is known for calming people. That's why it's a main ingredient in many drugs such as anti-anxiety medicine. But it's toxic to the human body as well as causes fluoridosis which is mottling and weakening of the teeth. But if someone wants to trust the ADA on their arrogant/ignorant stand on Mercury & Fluoride, I can't help them. Here's a good article:

Destructive Fluoride
    By Jim Ehmke, CN
    July 06, 2007

A good friend of mine recently asked me about the fluoride in his favorite brand of toothpaste. Since I am an oral-hygiene freak and proud of it, he turned to me for advice.

For cleaning my teeth, I use baking soda and salt in a 6:1 ratio. I rarely use toothpaste and "blot" my teeth in preference to brushing. I floss twice daily with Oral B Super Floss (a very unique floss) and use a water pick once daily. I avoid fluoride in toothpastes.

To understand why, it is important to know that naturally-occurring fluoride exists in the soil and plants as Calcium Fluoride (CaF2). In homeopathy, "Calc-Fluor" is a well-known cell salt and is completely safe. Here is why: calcium binds fluorine so tightly that it will not disassociate (separate) in water – it stays bound together as CaF2. The reason this is safe is because free-radical fluorine is not released – it stays bound to calcium – and is completely safe.

Some toothpaste brands in the United States (Tom's, for instance) use Calcium Fluoride. However, commercial toothpaste products use Sodium Fluoride, which, like Sodium Chloride (table salt), dissolves in water, releasing free-radical fluorine ions (or sodium ions from salt). Free-radical fluorine ions are terribly destructive, deadly, carcinogenic, and much more – truly nasty stuff. But, bound to calcium, it is safe and even beneficial in certain situations.

The fluoride added to water is Sodium Fluoride (NaF), not CaF2. So the question is: "What type of fluoride is in your toothpaste?" Organic fluoride means nothing. It is all about chemistry and what the fluorine atom is bound to. If it is bound to calcium, then, yes, it is safe. If instead it is bound to sodium or something that dissolves in water (thereby releasing fluorine ions), then it is most emphatically not safe. Few substances are as toxic and aggressive as fluorine/fluoride.

When I studied organic chemistry at the University of Wisconsin, our textbook called F the wildcat of the periodic table – aggressive, deadly, and unpredictable. In our laboratory, HF (hydrofluoric acid) – like HCL (hydrochloric acid) but hundreds of times stronger and deadlier – was kept in a one-inch thick, sealed glass jar in the freezer under lock and key. The damn stuff was incredibly unstable. But, hey, who cares about a little in your drinking water?

Understand that F is the top element in Family 7A of the Periodic Table. This Family is called the halogen family and consists of Fluorine (F), Chlorine (Cl), Bromine (Br), and Iodine (I), in order of aggressiveness. Overall, the halogen family is the most aggressive family in the Periodic Table. With seven electrons in the valence shell (outside shell of electrons), it only needs one more electron to fill the shell – 8 electrons fill the circle. Therefore, halogens are aggressive in seeking another electron from any element possible. Each successive halogen – F, Cl, Br, and I is weaker. F is by far the strongest, then Cl, Br, and finally I, which is the weakest. This forms what chemists call a "replacement series," where F replaces Cl, Br, and I. Cl replaces Br and I. Br only replaces I.

However, in the human body, Iodine is the key halogen. It is key not only for thyroid function but for many other important functions, especially immune-system health and female hormones. Yet, F replaces Iodine like taking candy from a baby. This disrupts Iodine metabolism throughout the body. There is absolutely no nutritional requirement for F anywhere in the body. But, once introduced, it will raise hell anywhere as it sees fit, displacing Iodine and Chlorine at will. It is truly the wildcat; not only of the periodic table, but in the human body as well. Anyone who has basic chemistry knows these facts. And yet so many people buy into all the fluoride nonsense and forget basic science, especially professionals who should know better. How convenient.

So, any person wanting to protect his or her health needs to look at the packaging of the toothpaste or powder that they are using and discover the chemical configuration of the fluoride in it. Avoid any toothpaste that uses Sodium Fluoride.

And remember, there is a reason why the Germans chose fluoride gas as their preferential chemical weapon – they know their chemistry better than anyone! There was nothing deadlier until radioactive elements and nuclear devices were constructed. That should tell us enough right there.

Destructive Fluoride - National Health Federation - Your voice for health freedom

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    I noticed there are some here that are supplementing with kelp or other seaweed products. I was taking a kelp tablet each day, but decided to try using Lugol's 2% because of all the talk about metals in kelp. I also take a multivitamin each day that has 150mcg of Potassium Iodide. I never had a problem with the kelp, but twice now I've started on Lugol's but stopped because I started feeling sick after a few days. Both times I used a small amount (1 tbsp from an 8oz water bottle with one drop of Lugol's), which shouldn't have been much (if any) more than what I was getting with the kelp tablets. The only other thing that changed was that I started taking the ATP co-factors. I had already been taking magnesium and eating 2 or 3 Brazil nuts per day before I ever considered supplementing with iodine, though I did recently switch to a Selenium supplement instead of the nuts. So either the ATP co-factors (or the Selenium supplement) was the problem, or there's something about Lugol's that bothers me.

I've followed the thread for awhile now, but don't remember anyone else having that type of problem unless they were taking higher doses. I guess I'll go back to the kelp, or possibly try a Potassium Iodode supplement (225 mcg or so).

Edit: I forgot to mention that I was also taking vitamin C before starting iodine, though I did increase the amount I was taking when I tried the Lugol's.
    Last edited by Hawkward; 07-20-2012 at 10:06 AM.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Hi Hawkward,

I went through a whole bottle of Lugols in my first year of supplementing iodine. (started out painting with CVS brand iodine) I wasn't a fan of it or Lugols either. Although a bit expensive try the Magnanscent 2% iodine set in alcohol or Nascent from amazon. Both are a much gentler iodine and keeps you on the lower doses. After Lugols I used these for a while.

To this day I take elemental iodine set in alcohol but in much larger doses. If I try to take large amounts of vitamin C I start to get sick too.

In no way am I saying Lugols or Vitamin C is bad. They aren't for me.
    Last edited by t2t; 07-20-2012 at 09:36 AM.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    RadialHead,

You just saw the chart that shows Fluoride being put into everything. The U.S. government puts Fluoride in our water and products made with the water get Fluoride content in them. Wow. Did I invent the chart up? They admitted that too much fluoride is being put into the water. I am talking about the U.S. not the whole world. Many governments won't allow Flouride or Bromine in their country. Or they have banned its use.
    Last edited by t2t; 07-20-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I finally have something conclusive to report about moles and iodine. I had a mole on my hip that's been there for several years, it's shape had been changing which caused me some concern. Several people mentioned trying iodine on moles so I'd thought I'd give it a try. At first I just put the iodine directly on the mole even though I read what Grizz said about using a carrier oil; I was impatient. Sure enough I could see it was doing something to the mole, but the skin did get irritated. So then I mixed the iodine with some leftover salve that I had and started using that regularly. If you mix iodine with oil make sure you put it an opaque container, I used a brown glass jar. Very shortly I could see that the mole was changing; it started to itch and parts of it flaked off. Now you can barely even tell where it was. I also have been putting it on a mole on the back of my hand, this one is no longer raised and looks more like an age spot than a mole. I will continue to apply the iodine cream on that one and I am pretty confident that it will completely go away like the other one.

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    RadialHead,

You just saw the chart that shows Fluoride being put into everything.
    No, I saw a chart showing the fluoride content of various foods. I didn't see a breakdown showing how much came from naturally occurring sources i.e. the soil, how much came from fluoride added to water, & how much was 'added by the government'.

The U.S. government puts Fluoride in our water and products made with the water get Fluoride content in them.
    I'm sure you can see the difference between that & what you originally wrote.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    So Radialhead,

Do you think that fruits, vegetables, edible plants of any kind uptake fluoride when sprayed with fluorinated water? Forget about charts, studies. Yes or No?

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    So Radialhead,

Do you think that fruits, vegetables, edible plants of any kind uptake fluoride when sprayed with fluorinated water? Forget about charts, studies. Yes or No?
    I would think they probably do, and I've never said otherwise. Whether some/all is absorbed by the root system, or broken down by the plant, or by harvesting/processing, I know not.

Do I think your government are deliberately putting fluoride into food to control the population? Err... no.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member

Perhaps the Japanese women should be scolded for taking in so much iodine?

A.) Japanese people do not "take" iodine. They consume it in natural foods as a part of their diet. This is very different than taking a supplement pill. As with vitamins... it is hard to absorb too much from dietary foods, but high dose pills can cause problems pretty fast for people.

B.) As was pointed out previously, some statements on the internet that are not backed up by any scientific data have greatly inflated the amount of iodine in the daily diet of Japanese people.
    "Japanese iodine intake from edible seaweeds is amongst the highest in the world. Predicting the type and amount of seaweed the Japanese consume is difficult due to day-to-day meal variation and dietary differences between generations and regions. In addition, iodine content varies considerably between seaweed species, with cooking and/or processing having an influence on iodine content. Due to all these factors, researchers frequently overestimate, or underestimate, Japanese iodine intake from seaweeds, which results in misleading and potentially dangerous diet and supplementation recommendations for people aiming to achieve the same health benefits seen by the Japanese. By combining information from dietary records, food surveys, urine iodine analysis (both spot and 24-hour samples) and seaweed iodine content, we estimate that the Japanese iodine intake--largely from seaweeds--averages 1,000-3,000 μg/day (1-3 mg/day)."
    Assessment of Japanese iodine intake based on seaweed consumption in Japan: A literature-based analysis

Perhaps U.S. doctors should quit painting up to several ounces of Betadine (contains 1% iodine) on patients before surgery.
    130 milligrams of potassium iodide a day, for several days, is given to people in a nuclear event to protect their thyroids from the radioactive iodine 131. Shouldn’t this large amount of iodide(iodine) be horrible on the thyroid? No selenomethionine is given either!

Using an iodine preparation to sanitize the skin for surgery is not something that happens to a person every day. The comparison is simply ridiculous. For most people it might happen a few times over the course of their entire lives. This application is simply NOT a cause of chronic over exposure of the thyroid to large amounts of iodine. Some of that iodine will be absorbed through the skin, some will simply be washed away. Also, it's a matter of the action of the product used...

"commonly-used low concentration, slow release iodophors improve healing rates and are effective as highly potent antimicrobials with a broad spectrum of activity, including antibiotic-resistant strains such as MRSA."
    Also... elemental iodine, which can be toxic, is not being used to paint the skin to prep for surgery, "Iodophors were developed in the 1950s to overcome the side effects associated with elemental iodine. These were found to be safer and less painful, but just as effective as elemental iodine, allowing widespread use.
    Bonding iodine with another molecule makes it less toxic and instead of high concentrations of iodine being released in a single application, the iodine is slowly released from the reservoir carrier molecule over a sustained period of time.
    Iodophors are preparations that bind iodine to a solubilising agent or carrier. The water-soluble complex allows the slow release of a low concentration of free iodine when the carrier comes into contact with wound exudate. This controlled release of low concentrations of iodine helps to minimise the negative side effects of using free elemental iodine."
    Iodine Made Easy (page 1 of 4) › Made Easys › May Vol 2 Issue 2 › Wounds International

This excerpt, is from the scientific article I posted previously... as you can see it's potassium iodide that is more important in this case, not iodine. Iodine is actually what is being prevented from entering the thyroid by using large doses of iodide.
    "Radiation-induced thyroid cancer
    Nuclear accidents can release radioactive iodine into the environment, increasing the risk of thyroid cancer in exposed individuals, especially children [55,56]. Thyroidal uptake of radioactive iodine is higher in people with iodine deficiency than in people with iodine sufficiency. For this reason, iodine-deficient individuals have a particularly high risk of developing radiation-induced thyroid cancer when exposed to radioactive iodine.
    The FDA has approved potassium iodide as a thyroid-blocking agent to reduce the risk of thyroid cancer in radiation emergencies involving the release of radioactive iodine [55]. The FDA recommends that exposed people take a daily pharmacological dose (16–130 mg potassium iodide, depending on age) until the risk of significant radiation exposure ends [55,56]. Potassium iodide was widely used in Poland following the 1986 Chernobyl accident and childhood thyroid cancer rates did not increase substantially in subsequent years [57]. In areas where iodide prophylaxis was not used, such as Belarus and Ukraine, where many children were mildly iodine-deficient, the incidence of thyroid cancer sharply increased among children and adolescents [55]."
    Iodine — Health Professional Fact Sheet

The potassium iodide is purposefully given in large doses so that it immediately blocks all the thyroid receptors. In a case where nuclear radiation is of concern bombing the thyroid for the short term for an emergency situation is simply a lower health risk than not treating and allowing the cancers to happen.

Much larger amounts of iodine taken with selenomethionine cured my hyperthyroidism and higher amounts cured both my handicapped daughters and wife’s' hypothyroidism. I have blood work that proves it. But just 3 people having gotten great results is not a real STUDY. But in my world I am happy with larger amounts of iodine and I am also happy if other people only need smaller amounts to help them stay healthy.

I'd like to point out that I'm not saying that a higher dose is never warranted or safe, though I do disagree with the size of a safe "high" dosage. Even in short term, for correction of a genuinely diagnosed problem and not just a 'guess' based on a list of vague symptoms, I personally do not believe that more than a single Idoral (12.5mg) per day could be warranted as that is nearly the bodies entire store of iodine in one shot, and that given time all doses exceeding basic need will balance a person who is defficient. As usual that's up to personal preference. But I would think that some sense of the needs of the human body should be respected...

I would hate to see people taking large doses over long periods of time who end up doing more harm than good. Once a body is restored to balance it really should take much LESS for maintenance... like way back down to that 1mg per day range. And the evidence for causing thyroid damage due to prolonged high doses is strong in the scientific community. So for a while you've made improvements... and then the thyroid has just had too much and the balance swings the other way. Overload of iodine can cause hypothyroid just like deficiency can.

Or they get all they need in diet and live in a world without halogens. I want to move there too!

t2t
    How could you live in a world without halogens?
    Your body literally needs them to function properly.
    Salt- contains chlorine -a halogen... and salt prescribed as part of the Brownstein protocol in rather large quantities compared to a natural diet.
    Iodine and iodide- also halogens... halogens that are advocated to be supplemented in extreme amounts compared to any natural diet in Brownstein's protocol and this thread in general.
    And yes, both salt (sodium rather, but sodium chloride works) and iodine are vital to healthy human function.
    For a better understanding of halogens... Halogens: Information from Answers.com

I really think that iodine/iodide can be used healthfully without the risks that some people are taking with it.
    MORE is not necessarily better... and can be genuinely dangerous in many cases with supplements. Just like taking too much of many vitamins can make you really sick...
    Nutrition, Toxic Dosages and Side Effects of Vitamins and Minerals
    Too much selenuim for instance is linked to "Diabetes, garlic-breath odor, immune impairment, loss of hair and nails, irritability, pallor, skin lesions, tooth decay, nausea, weakness, yellowish skin"
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.