Page 357 of 415 FirstFirst ... 257307347355356357358359367407 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,570 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 357

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    @ cori, thanks for the post - I found it fascinating. I'm glad you printed out the extracts - I just have too much to do today to read the original! it chimed with my rather cautious approach to all supplements.

@T2T, thanks for the comments about vit K. I WAS taking Vit K2 Mk7; now I am taking one with more vit K2 Mk4, but it also has some Mk7 also. Best of both worlds there! And I'm taking vitamin D3; usually in the summer I don't, but in the UK this year we haven't seen much sun, if any, for weeks, so I am still taking pills. Incidentally, I am amused that you think my amounts of Lugol's "small" - it is all relative! I'd bet my GP would think it was WAY high compared to the RDA!!!!

I know a lot of people on here are taking large quantities of both iodine and various supplements; very bravely doing self experimentation and printing out their results on this thread. I hope it keeps running for a couple of years - if they are all still showing benefits at that stage, I will feel encouraged to up my own levels!
    Last edited by breadsauce; 07-20-2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by William400 View Post
    I take the drops, but I have heard that kelp tablets are overall better for you. When I'm done with the drops, I'll be picking up kelp tablets.
    I take kelp or dulse or some form of sea vegetable occasionally - I am convinced that they contain a wider spectrum of iodine salts and minerals, so are worthwhile. And I'm not overly worried about contaminants - I think there's a lot of needless worry about!
    Last edited by breadsauce; 07-20-2012 at 05:11 AM.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Hi Breadsauce,

It certainly doesn’t hurt to get some K2 mk7 also.

Dr. Davis uses both K2 mk7 and K2 mk4 with D3.

I had a striking experience this past week. Don has coronary plaque and began the Track Your Plaque program. However, discovery of a murmur led to an echocardiogram that measured his effective aortic valve area at 1.5 cm2. (Normal is between 2.5-3.0 cm2.)
    Because of his aortic valve issue, I suggested that, in addition to the 10,000 units of vitamin D required to increase his 25-hydroxy vitamin D level to 70 ng/ml, he also add vitamin K2, 1000 mcg per day, along with elimination of all calcium supplements. (I asked Don to use a K2 supplement that contained both forms, short-acting MK-4 and long-acting MK-7.)
    One year later, another echocardiogram: aortic valve area 2.6 cm2–an incredible increase.

Track Your Plaque Blog

As to the recommended minimum daily dose of iodine of 150 Micrograms by our government, that RDA of iodine was established for the Thyroid only. A woman's breast alone requires a few milligrams apiece. That is why it is believed that the Japanese women have one of the lowest incidences of breast cancer in the world, because they get about 12.5 mg's a day from kelp. 12.5 mg's a day? That shoots a big hole in the theory that several milligrams are bad for anyone. Back before 1980 we Americans used to get 150 micrograms in each slice of bread we ate. Now we get bromine in each slice. So one needs to ingest a minimum amount of iodine to counteract the bromine if they eat bread. Plus the government is putting Fluoride in all the fast food, foods in the grocery stores and medicines. It goes on and on.

Perhaps the Japanese women should be scolded for taking in so much iodine?

Perhaps U.S. doctors should quit painting up to several ounces of Betadine (contains 1% iodine) on patients before surgery.
    130 milligrams of potassium iodide a day, for several days, is given to people in a nuclear event to protect their thyroids from the radioactive iodine 131. Shouldn’t this large amount of iodide(iodine) be horrible on the thyroid? No selenomethionine is given either!

Much larger amounts of iodine taken with selenomethionine cured my hyperthyroidism and higher amounts cured both my handicapped daughters and wife’s' hypothyroidism. I have blood work that proves it. But just 3 people having gotten great results is not a real STUDY. But in my world I am happy with larger amounts of iodine and I am also happy if other people only need smaller amounts to help them stay healthy.

Or they get all they need in diet and live in a world without halogens. I want to move there too!

t2t
    Last edited by t2t; 07-20-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: typos

youthfuliz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave RN View Post
    An update.
    After having a prostate sonogram, and being told that, at 52 I have a PSA of .3 and a prostate volume of 17.5, no stricture as all and being told that I have a prostate that "any 20 year old would be proud of" and no residual urine after urinating I was right back where I started, urinary issues with no apparent cause. The doc told me to keep aking the med and there was nothing I could do.
    Keep inmind that my issue were so sever, I cold not pee AT ALL without the med.
    Well, 10 days ago I forgot the Uroxitrol one night. So I didn't take it the next night. And the next. It's been 10 days and lo and behold everything seems to be just as good if not better than when I was on the med! I pee good, don't have too much frequency and no urgency. I'm nearly normal and in a totally acceptable state.
    I have no explanation.
    But hey, I'll take it.
    So it appears that i am perminently off the med.
    Wonderful news Dave! I'm going to ask my parents to take low dose iodoral (thinking of starting from 6.25mg) and I hope my dad will have similar result.
    Last edited by youthfuliz; 07-20-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Here is a wonderful, if long, completely scientific article about iodine(Iodine Health Professional Fact Sheet ). Why we need it and why it is so important in our diets, many of the problems that it helps to remedy through natural ingestion and some supplementation, and also how supplementation can also be harmful to people.
    Thanks for posting this. Great information, and provides some much needed balance to this thread.

youthfuliz is offline Junior Member
    A quick update:

Still taking 50mg of iodoral, 25 at breakfast, 25 at lunch. Taking the cofactors too. Very good energy and increased productivity. I have got more stuff done in the last 10 days than I would do in a month before. Don't have detox symptoms and I'm fine with that...since my thyroid nodules keep shrinking. I'll keep doing 50mg for now. Eating lots of seafood too.
    Last edited by youthfuliz; 07-20-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkward View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Great information, and provides some much needed balance to this thread.
    !!!!

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    As to the recommended minimum daily dose of iodine of 150 Micrograms by our government, that RDA of iodine was established for the Thyroid only. A woman's breast alone requires a few milligrams apiece. That is why it is believed that the Japanese women have one of the lowest incidences of breast cancer in the world, because they get about 12.5 mg's a day from kelp.
    They're getting 1 - 3 mg/day according to the latest research I can find. E.g. Thyroid Research | Full text | Assessment of Japanese iodine intake based on seaweed consumption in Japan: A literature-based analysis If you've got a more recent journal source with references showing 12.5 mg/day, please provide the link.

Back before 1980 we Americans used to get 150 micrograms in each slice of bread we ate. Now we get bromine in each slice. So one needs to ingest a minimum amount of iodine to counteract the bromine if they eat bread.
    Seaweed contains bromine too, often more than the iodine. Marine Biology, Volume 47, Number 3 - SpringerLink

Plus the government is putting Fluoride in all the fast food, foods in the grocery stores and medicines.
    Utter rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Radialhead View Post
    They're getting 1 - 3 mg/day according to the latest research I can find. E.g. Thyroid Research | Full text | Assessment of Japanese iodine intake based on seaweed consumption in Japan: A literature-based analysis If you've got a more recent journal source with references showing 12.5 mg/day, please provide the link.

Seaweed contains bromine too, often more than the iodine. Marine Biology, Volume 47, Number 3 - SpringerLink

Utter rubbish.
    Radialhead, thanks for this. The link you give provides very compelling evidence about iodine consumption in the Japanese being between 1 and 3 mg - it is especially compelling when you read the authors credentials;

Authors' information
    TZ received his Bachelor's degree in Biology from Oregon State University in 2009. He is a Research Associate at ZRT Laboratory in Beaverton, Oregon, where he recently developed a test to measure iodine and creatinine levels in dried urine. His current research focuses on iodine deficiency, Japanese iodine intake, halide competition, thyroid disorders and iodine kinetics in the human body.

DZ received his doctorate in Biochemistry from the University of Tennessee in 1974. He is Laboratory Director and President of ZRT Laboratory, which he founded in 1998. Dr. Zava has developed innovative, simple and cost-effective methods to monitor hormone and other analytes associated with health and disease. His current research focus includes endocrinology, breast cancer, and--most recently--the importance of iodine to optimum health. He is co-author of a landmark book, What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer: How Hormone Balance Can Help Save Your Life.

A professional scientific researcher into iodine and effects on the human body is someone I am really prepared to take note of.

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you Radialhead on the Japanese study.

As to flouride being added to almost everything, Rubbish indeed.!

2004 USDA National Fluoride Database of
    Selected Beverages and Foods
    For Full Report on USDA Website

CLICK HERE: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...e/fluoride.pdf

Intended goal of fluoridation: Delivery of 1 milligram of fluoride per day

1 milligram/liter = 1ppm (parts per million)
    **mcg/100g = ppm * 100 (beverages corrected for specific gravity)

USDA Fluoride Content in Foods and Beverages

US Admits Too Much FLuoride in Tap Water and Recommends Lower Levels

Perchlorate blocks the absorption of iodine. Don’t you think it’s terrible iodine was being added to BABY formula. Heavens forbid…

"It's important to note that infant formula contains iodine and that iodine would be expected to ameliorate any potential effects that perchlorate would have," Ben Blount, PhD, Chief of the CDC's Perchlorate Biomonitoring Laboratory, tells Webmd.

Rocket Fuel Chemical Perchlorate Found in Powdered Infant Formula
    Last edited by t2t; 07-20-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: some reformat