Page 348 of 415 FirstFirst ... 248298338346347348349350358398 ... LastLast
Results 3,471 to 3,480 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 348

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    None of these ladies took iodine supplements. Simply AMAZING!
    All were born around 1900, and grew to adulthood before salt began to be iodized in the US (in the mid 20's).
    They all lived outside the Great Lakes and Pacific Northwest regions that are iodine poor, and the reason that iodine started to be added to salt in America in the first place. Does all of your food come from the Great Lakes or PNW region?
    *shrug*
    I was raised, as were my parents in the Goiter Belt, and we ate mostly local foods. (OK, citrus wasn't local, but scarce during my childhood). My dad had heard about iodine from somewhere, and took what he considered prudent steps to ward off deficiencies. My mother-in-law had a prominent goiter show up in her late teens and had to take treatment for it. And when a friend's goatkids, raised and fed on local feeds, developed numerous goiters, I started adding Lugol's 5% (or higher - from vet) to their water from then on. I'm sure my own family got some of the benefit through goat milk. I also ate seaweed for a few years, and fed my gardens and animals with a dried supplement. I'm sure it prevented many problems.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    No, here you go again putting words in my mouth that I did not say. Either follow a doctors protocol or don't take iodine at all.
    And I also told you that you can do anything your want at your own risk.

Grizz
    And I am following a doctor's protocol - virtually every doctor who prescribed Iodine from 1829 until Dr Brownstein came up with his protocol - which I consider too extreme. For me. You do what you like - you totally have my permission. Just don't keep telling me to follow YOUR doctor's protocol. Thank you.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rearden View Post
    HappyPaleoGirl,

I use iodine tincture (not the colorless version) an dab it on my spots most nights of the week. It comes with an applicator which makes it easy to apply directly to the spot. A few nights a week I apply it to most of my face and quickly apply jojoba oil. The results have been amazing.
    Hi Rearden. Just seeing this now. So is the tincture the stuff that you can buy at Walgreens or CVS? I bought a bottle before starting to supplement with Lugol's in order to do the patch test. So I assume you let it dry after you apply it prior to applying jojoba oil?
    I alternate between jojoba and sweet almond oil as moisturizers and love them both.
    Thanks for the tip!!

Luckily my current spots have cleared up (and thankfully no new ones have surfaced!) - it only took 1 night of iodine painting! It dried the skin right up and stopped the pimples in their tracks. I'll have to see what happens with the cyst. I still feel a sore spot under the skin, but there's no actual bump under there that I can feel anymore.
    Yay, iodine!

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Here are a couple of studies about the amount of iodine intake in Japan. These would seem to indicate a lower average intake than other sources have estimated:

Assessment of Japanese iodine intake based on se... [Thyroid Res. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

The average of dietary iodine intake due to the inge... [Thyroid. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    I was raised, as were my parents in the Goiter Belt, and we ate mostly local foods. (OK, citrus wasn't local, but scarce during my childhood). My dad had heard about iodine from somewhere, and took what he considered prudent steps to ward off deficiencies. My mother-in-law had a prominent goiter show up in her late teens and had to take treatment for it. And when a friend's goatkids, raised and fed on local feeds, developed numerous goiters, I started adding Lugol's 5% (or higher - from vet) to their water from then on. I'm sure my own family got some of the benefit through goat milk. I also ate seaweed for a few years, and fed my gardens and animals with a dried supplement. I'm sure it prevented many problems.
    I find this post fascinating. Presumably the goat's milk was higher in iodine - it makes total sense. I'd love an allotment, so that I could grow veg and cover the soil in iodine rich, selenium rich and magnesium rich fertilisers - seaweed, for example. I do like the idea of getting as many nutrients as possible from food and not from a bottle or package!

The UK is small, and most of it is fairly near the coastline. Furthest from the sea is Derbyshire - which used to be noted for a higher incidence of goitre.

Incidentallly, there is an area of Norfolk which has unusual longevity - and the soil there is rich in selenium. More brazil nuts for me!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Hoss,
    I will address your question. Do I sometimes act like a BULLY? Yes absolutely I do. And for very good reasons.

This thread is about SERIOUS BUSINESS regarding the Thyroid. If instructions are not followed regarding the REQUIRED supplements, then I become the bully. As a group we simply do not want to see anyone going to the hospital with a thyroid storm. We don't want people losing days or weeks of work because they got seriously sick from not following the Dr Supported Iodine Protocol.

Yes I tell people to take the required co-supplements and they sometimes refuse. So Then I tell them they are free to do anything they want at their own risk. And they go into a hissy fit.

We are not talking about a simple vitamin supplement or mineral supplement here. We are discussing the THYROID, and serious conditions of Hypothyroid, Hyperthyroid, in addition to Hashimotos Disease & thyroid nodules. NOTHING IS MORE SERIOUS when it comes to following directions. This is why we need a doctor supported protocol to follow.

As a group we must all do whatever is required to prevent one of our members from getting sick. Does someone have a better iodine protocol? OK, name the doctor promoting it and spell out the details. We don't have any doctors as members, so we must insist on a doctor supported protocol for all members. Sorry if some people don't like it. Either follow a doctor directed protocol, or don't take iodine at all. Very simple. If no one else will stand up, then I will.

I will also report all trolls and I don't care what their names are. Paleobird and her troll buddies have no right to be so rude, insensitive and calling people names. We sufferered a terrible Troll Attack in part because I didn't report them immediately. No more Mr. Nice Guy for me.

The next time we have a Troll Attack, all participants will be reported. We are not going to put up with the insanity over the past few days. People can be civil. I have been here for YEARS and I have never reported anyone. I have also never seen such horrible insensitivity, name calling, and disgusting behavior. It reminded me of a wolf pack attack.

We are all here to learn about a VERY COMPLEX subject, not to fight with TROLLS. What is Paleobird & her Troll Buddies doing over here in this thread at all? She has ZERO interest in iodine and the same is true of her Troll Buddies. The reason they came over here was to create havoc. Not the first time, by the way.

Hope this helps, any more questions?
    Grizz
    No, here you go again putting words in my mouth that I did not say. Either follow a doctors protocol or don't take iodine at all.
    And I also told you that you can do anything your want at your own risk.

Grizz
    No one put those words in your mouth, they are your own.
    Millions of people take iodine supplements safely every single day of their life in the form of iodized salt, eating seafood, and eating sea veg. None of this requires a doctors protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    That post should be taken as intended.
    Iodine supplementation in and of itself cannot be credited as the only reason for a long healthy life.
    Yes, in the goiter belt, the Great Lakes area, and the PNW iodine supplementation is particularly necessary, and is in fact the very reason for Iodized salt being introduced in the mid-1920's.

I would also like to make it very clear that several of the so called "trolls" in this thread are also using iodine.
    Breadsauce does, Bloodorchid does, and I do as well. Paleobird eats a large quantity of fish, shellfish, and sea veg in her diet and doesn't need additional supplements.
    I used to get all of my iodine through whole foods (never iodized salt), but due to medical issues and reduced consumption of iodine rich foods such as sea veg I now take several drops of Lugol's weekly.
    So I am also a "troll" who is supplementing iodine.

However, it is my honest opinion... and the opinion of some doctors who formerly supported high dose iodine supplementation, that those high doses are neither necessary nor healthy. And I have the right to express that opinion here, as well as provide evidence that supports that belief.
    I also believe that promoting any course of supplementation that is so harsh that it could put someone in "the hospital with a thyroid storm" or cause "people [to lose] days or weeks of work because they got seriously sick" is a seriously irresponsible thing to do via the internet. Especially when the person promoting it tells people with already medically diagnosed Thyroid conditions that they can do this and just quit their meds... a potentially very dangerous situation.
    The insanely skewed statistics that are from a single source are just the tip of the iceburg when it comes to the problems with misinformation in this thread.

Also... I see that Grizz has addressed everyone's "bullying" here but his own.
    Telling someone you will laugh when they end up in the hospital for not doing exactly as you say is certainly exactly that type of behavior much more than banter about the lack of validity of patently false information being passed off as fact.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Radialhead is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I would also like to make it very clear that several of the so called "trolls" in this thread are also using iodine.
    Breadsauce does, Bloodorchid does, and I do as well.
    I do too, along with all the 'take or die' supplements, & I do so as a direct result of this thread. Or rather I did - I won't do again until I find the time to do my own research.

Grizz is offline Banned
    John, Oxide & other long term members,

This is a serious question. Do we let everyone do iodine THEIR WAY (by gosh & by golly) and if they end up in the hospital tell them they should have followed documented doctors orders? Breadsauce is our prime renegade example here.
    I shall continue to take my drop of lugol's in water 3 times per week, I shall take brazil nuts, I shall NOT take salt or B vitamins -
    I have just modified message #7 to make this happen. If a new member fails to read this message then they are on their own risk. Does everyone like this message? Any suggestions?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post675468

Lets all talk about this.
    Grizz

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    John,

Would you like to volunteer to be the cop in this thread to insure members don't send themselves to the hospital?
    Would someone else like to do this? I will be very happy to see someone else watch over the newbees to help prevent a disaster. Too bad we have to do this, but we see how poorly people follow directions.

Sorry but the goal is not to get everyone on iodine. The goal is to help those who decide to start iodine do it correctly so they don't lose work or end up in the hospital. My Iodine References File is not working.
    Neither is the Iodine 101 file.

Newbees simply do not want to follow directions. What is your best answer to this problem?

Grizz
    Grizz, welcome to the scary world of somewhat adult people. The world would be so much nicer if everybody posted out of consideration for others, and obeyed all the rules. Whose rules? Adults have the peculiar fixation that they can make their own minds up with the correct information. Not so many are willing to live by the results of their decisions, and there's nothing we can do about it. Nor would I want to be responsible for their improper decisions. That's why we need both pros and cons and disagreements to examine ALL facets of a proposed treatment. I prefer to follow the iodine protocol as suggested by the docs because there is nothing inherently harmful there. But what if I were allergic to Brazil nuts? Or driven frantic by B3 flushing? There has to be some flexibility built in for those with non-standard reactions.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    John, Oxide & other long term members,

This is a serious question. Do we let everyone do iodine THEIR WAY (by gosh & by golly) and if they end up in the hospital tell them they should have followed documented doctors orders? Breadsauce is our prime renegade example here.

I have just modified message #7 to make this happen. If a new member fails to read this message then they are on their own risk. Does everyone like this message? Any suggestions?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post675468

Lets all talk about this.
    Grizz
    Once again...
    Millions [Billions maybe] of people take iodine supplements safely every single day of their life in the form of iodized salt, eating seafood, and eating sea veg. None of this requires a doctors protocol.
    None of those people suffer from the things you claim or end up in the hospital.
    Also, huge doses of iodine are not necessary for health.
    Scare tactics are unnecessary.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.