Page 329 of 415 FirstFirst ... 229279319327328329330331339379 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,290 of 4146

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 329

Rearden is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    hijimmy,
    The problem with iodine is all the misinformation, lies & distortions out there. We have the time tested & proven procedures that work out the best, based on the experiences of our many members. I have distilled the best of the best doctors into our iodine procedures.

So who do you trust? You can have confidence in our Dr. Brownstein "Iodine Project" based procedures..

Grizz

Given this, can we please lay off with the physician bashing? It's quite old, and frankly offensive. Perhaps instead of assuming all physicians are money-grubbing assholes who don't give a crap about your health, let's assume that they simply DON'T KNOW what iodine can do.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rearden View Post
    Given this, can we please lay off with the physician bashing? It's quite old, and frankly offensive. Perhaps instead of assuming all physicians are money-grubbing assholes who don't give a crap about your health, let's assume that they simply DON'T KNOW what iodine can do.
    +1 on the "let's assume that they simply DON'T KNOW what iodine can do."
    Last edited by ljbprrfmof; 07-11-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rearden View Post
    Did I give Liz good advice on choosing a doctor or not?
    There are of course fine, upstanding ethical doctors who are interested in your best health.
    So if you insist on seeing a doctor here is my best advice:
    HOW TO FIND A GOOD DOCTOR | Stop The Thyroid Madness
    Iodine Literate Practitoners Directory
    The advice I gave to Liz remains exactly the same. Did you even read the links I gave Liz?

What is your advice to give Liz for choosing a doctor?

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-10-2012 at 10:17 PM.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    "But what if our question is what is the quantity of iodine required for ideal thyroid function and overall health? Ah, thatís where the data are sketchy. We know, for instance, that the Japanese obtain somewhere between 3,500 and 13,000 mcg per day (varying widely due to different habits and locations). Are they healthier than us? Yes, quite a bit healthier, though there may be other effects to account for this, such as a culture of less sweet foods and more salty, less wheat consumption, etc. There are advocates in the U.S., such as Dr. David Brownstein in Michigan, who argues that some people benefit by taking doses in the 30,000 to 50,000 mcg per day range (monitored with urinary iodine levels).
    The Japanese do not live a whole lot healthier life than we do. The Japanese have a large number of the population who smoke, and they burn their garbage which contributes to very poor air quality. Yet they suffer from low rates of lung cancer.

The Japanese have also been developing a sweet tooth, look down the candy isles of your local Asian food market, mine has two whole rows of just Japanese candy. Japan has many cafes that serve just deserts, some are the all-you-can-eat type. But yet the Japanese again have extremely low rates of obesity even though their consumption of processed/sweet foods have gone up.

The Japanese are lucky that they have such nutrient rich foods that are cheap and in abundance, I think its the main reason why they live so well. For someone like me who lives in the Midwest, trying to get fresh quality seafood and seaweed like the Japanese do is difficult and expensive. Sure eating real food would be a better way to go, but Lugol's iodine + the supplements is much cheaper and easier.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Neckhammer,

What is your best advice on the MilliGrams per day of iodine to take? Why?
    Dr. Brownstein now recommends 50mg daily (with required supplements) because of all the Halide Toxins we are exposed to daily.

Grizz

youthfuliz is offline Junior Member
    Well, I don't think all doctors are bad people, but many just do what's safe for themselves. They don't like to hear about things they were not educated about... I had thyroditis 11 years ago, my endo doctor was an expert, one of the best in the area, he was very kind, didn't put me on any medicine except for beta blocker... I recovered in about six months which was great. But he never once mentioned iodine. I wish he did. Since iodine deficiency can lead to thyroiditis and supplementing iodine can prevent future problems. So next time if I need an endo/thyroid doctor, I'll make sure to bring up the iodine deficiency topic and I won't go back to her/him if s/he's ignorant in that area.

By the way, my nodule has shrunk even more. I have used 50mg from day one, with the co-vitamins, and eating oysters. Your contributions in this thread have been very helpful!!! I'll keep posting here so others can benefit from my input too.
    Last edited by youthfuliz; 07-11-2012 at 05:43 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Liz,

We all thank you for sharing. Iodine has only been a mainstay medicine for 150 years, so something is VERY VERY VERY wrong that doctors know nothing about it.

Edit:
    Liz,
    here is a very timely discussion for you about thyroid nodules and what Dr. Buist says about RAI (Radiation for the thyroid). Predictably she said NO WAY.
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group.../message/95120

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-11-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Breast Cancer Victims discuss their Fibrocystic Breasts:
    My question was, "Did everyone have Fibrocystic Breasts before the onset of Breast Cancer?"

Re: [breastcancerthinktank] Re: Killing Breast Cancer Cells with Iodine
    I had fibrocystic breasts for 20 years or so. I was told by a doctor that it doesn't increase my chances for breast cancer. My "alternative" oncologist was really angry when I told him that...he said they've known for 30 years that fibrocystic breasts leads to cancer.
    Joellen

======================================
    I think that's a good question. I have had fibrocystic breasts for at least 20 years and my doctor told me to quit caffeine and chocolate which I did for a good long time. It made no difference. I hated self exams because they were always scary. So my bc showed up as a lump that was small but visible. Even post surgery my surgeon told me to take evening primrose oil. Nothing about iodine! I can't wait to dump all of this info on her next time I see her because I know she's like me, trying to find good information in a big pile of garbage. It took me 2 & 1/2 years to find this information and I'm running as fast as I can to get my iodine intake up. Every day counts! Thanks for asking, Grizz.
    Dee

==============================

You have just described why I don't worry about BC coming back, or being systemic. Iodoral is my daily number one protection. Number two is methylselenosysteine, which supports the iodine.
    Thanks,
    Cynthia
    Yahoo! Groups
    I presented this article to their group:
    "I would like to tell you my thoughts on breast cancer and thyroid disease in an abbreviated form. Breast cancer takes around 20-30 years to develop. The discovered lump represents the end stage of slow cancer progression over decades. The longest period is the first phase of cancer development. This phase which is often called pre-cancerous happens as as a normal cell is gradually turned into a cancer cell. These pre-cancerous lesions are known as fibrocystic disease (lumpy, tender breasts) of the breast. (2-3,13-14) Most fibrocystic disease is benign, harmless and has no consequences.

"On the other hand, some more advanced forms of fibrocystic disease have clearly defined tendencies towards breast cancer. So there are grades of fibrocystic disease with some of the cells looking more abnormal than in the benign forms. The greater the difference in the cells from normal (abnormal) the greater chance of these cells converting to a cancer cell over 10-20 years. So if you have fibrocystic disease still at the age of 45-55, you likely have had this for many years. There maybe then a significant chance the cells may change into a cancer cell. The good news is that it can be cleared up completely with a daily intake of iodine.(9)"

"If it is true there has been a general decrease in salt intake and thus iodine intake since the 1950s, there should have been a general increase in the number of women with fibrocystic (lumpy) disease of the breast. But if as well even lower iodine intake was occurring in the female population, worse forms of fibrocystic disease would occur which are statistically directly related to breast cancer. The chances of getting breast cancer then go up considerably. Now if we put this together with the incidence of breast cancer going from 1 in 23 in the mid 1960s to 1 in 8 currently then it seems to fit together. Over the last 80 years hundreds of publications have confirmed statistical correlations between the worse forms of fibrocystic disease of the breast and subsequent breast cancer. Unfortunately if you have fibrocystic disease you really don't know what type you have without a biopsy. On the other hand if you take iodine in adequate amounts daily all of the fibrocystic disease disappears so that you are essentially preventing breast cancer from occurring. If a cancer has already started it is unlikely it will be stopped with the iodine at that dose.

"From my personal investigations cancer is roughly divided into two phases. The first part is the pre-cancerous phase (before cancer) and involves the change of a normal cell into a cancer cell. This first phase of cancer development takes about 10-30 years. Iodine in adequate doses stops and reverses this stage of the cancer process by causing the natural death of abnormal cells (apoptosis). Iodine circulates throughout the body in the extracellular fluids found between the cells of the body. If cell surface proteins have the amino acid tyrosine on the outside, the passing iodine reacts with this tyrosine. This little reaction denatures the protein and thus kills the cell. It is implied all vertebrate cell membranes do not have tyrosine on the portion of the protein sticking out into the extracellular fluid.

"However, the intra membrane proteins may have tyrosine which is only exposed when the membrane is distorted by abnormal cell development such as we see in the pre-cancerous forms of fibrocystic disease. This would then expose the tyrosine to the iodine passing in the extracellular fluid. Again the iodine would denature the protein by reacting with the tyrosine and thus kill off the cell. So thus we have surveillance system for removing abnormal cells from our bodies. On the other hand low iodine intake allows cells to proceed and develop towards cancer. This is more indirect because the gradual increase in abnormal cells are just not being eliminated from the body because there is inadequate iodine to carry this out.

"Once the cell has become a cancer cell then it can take two different turns. It can multiply and spread or it can multiply and just stay where it is. The second is called carcinoma in situ. (cancer at the site) The second phase (cancer multiplying and spreading) is the part we are all familiar with. Since on average breast cancer cells double every 100 days, it takes 9 years before mammograms can pick it up and around 11 years before we find it ourselves. (15)

"This second clinical part of the cancer phase (the spreading) seems to be arrested by adequate levels of thyroid hormone in all tissues. Thyroid hormone completely controls the connective tissue which forms a strong sieve-like barrier to the passage of cancer cells trying to spread.(16-18) Low levels of thyroid hormone in the tissues (especially connective tissues) promotes the spread of cancer cells. So the body cancer defense system has two parts iodine for the first pre-cancer phase and thyroid hormone and iodine together for the second clinical phase. There is some overlapping of these two defense systems. The excess iodine flows out in the urine. Of course, because the iodine flows out in the urine it is preventing the development of abnormal cells in the bladder and kidney system at the same time. This then prevents cancers developing there."

"An adequate dose of iodine can be defined as more than 4 mg per day. Lugol's solution is an iodine-in-water solution used by the medical profession for 200 years. One drop (6.5 mg per drop) of Lugol's daily in water, orange juice or milk will gradually eliminate the first phase of the cancer development namely fibrocystic disease of the breast so no new cancers can start. It also will kill abnormal cells floating around in the body at remote sites from the original cancer. Of course this approach appears to work for prostate cancer as prostate cancer is similar to breast cancer in many respects. Indeed, it likely will help with most cancers. Also higher doses of iodine are required for inflammatory breast cancer. As well we know that large doses of intravenous iodine are harmless which makes one wonder what effect this would have on cancer growth."
    Derry. Iodine and the Breast -- Research
    Grizz

PrimalCon New York
    Grizz,

I like that article of Dr.Derry's. It seems to one that would be good to spread on facebook and other social sites.

Derry. Iodine and the Breast -- Research

http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

These two links seem to be the essential two to post.

LJ