Page 327 of 415 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329337377 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 327

asmitty is offline Junior Member
    Ok,

Starting the protocol tomorrow when i receive the vitamins in the mail. I was hoping you guys could help me dial in a couple things first. Since the ATP co-factor pill is indicated for 50mg iodine, wouldn't I need a lot less at first, since my starting dose of iodine/iodide is only ~660mcg iodine/day?

Also, when do you guys take these supplements to avoid inhibitory nutrient interactions?

Thanks again

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by asmitty View Post
    Ok,

Starting the protocol tomorrow when i receive the vitamins in the mail. I was hoping you guys could help me dial in a couple things first. Since the ATP co-factor pill is indicated for 50mg iodine, wouldn't I need a lot less at first, since my starting dose of iodine/iodide is only ~660mcg iodine/day?

Also, when do you guys take these supplements to avoid inhibitory nutrient interactions?

Thanks again
    asmitty,
    I take my salt, iodine, selenium & ATP Cofactors in the AM, and the magnesium, vitamin C in the evening. When I was on less than 25mg iodine, I took 1/2 of an ATP Cofactors. That works out well for me.

There is an interaction between Vit C and iodine so they should not be taken at the same time.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-09-2012 at 10:15 PM.

asmitty is offline Junior Member
    Sounds perfect. Also, you meant 1/2 of an atp cofactor correct?

smgj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    What advice do you have for Bloodorchid?

Grizz
    My point exactly.

There are different ways to get a message across. Have you ever heard the saying "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?"
    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    Why is it ok for everyone to snipe at Grizz, but not alright for him to give it back to them?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Why is it ok for everyone to snipe at Grizz, but not alright for him to give it back to them?
    Owl,
    Thank you.

This thread is VERY serious business, and we can't allow trouble makers dropping in here telling people they don't need to take the supplements required by the iodine doctors. We don't want to see anyone going to the hospital emergency room with a thyroid storm.

"Selenium reduces antibody levels, cools down the thyroiditis, and prevents thyroid storm, making it safe to start the iodine. "
    Jeffrey Dach MD Bio-Identical Hormone Blog: Iodine is Safe and Effective by Jeffrey Dach MD

I will not tolerate these trouble makers and no one else here should, either. If I drive these trouble makers away, that is a good thing, not a bad thing.

SAFETY FIRST and everyone here in this thread should be willing to fight for safety as our number one goal.

There are extremely vocal leaders at other message boards insisting on VERY unsafe practices that could send some people to the hospital, yet no one challenges them & they get way with it.

Here is one live example:
    iodine - i dont care what anyone says - 100mg is the minimum daily amount, and you may need lots more than that. but start there, not with 25mg. thats nothing.
    Now be honest - what would YOU say to this person if he posted this tragically irresponsible message here?

I would hope that EVERYONE stands up against such an irresponsible message.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-10-2012 at 03:07 PM.

youthfuliz is offline Junior Member
    Grizz and others,

I have been reading online on thyroid and iodine intensively for the last three days... and got a lot of information. Thanks for being so informative and helpful!

I noticed a large thyroid nodule last week and went to the school health center. I'm a graduate student in my thirties.They ordered blood test and ultrasound. I had thyroiditis 11 years ago following a miscarriage and stressful relationship and it recovered by itself within 6 months without medication. At that time my thyroid was not enlarged.

I had no problem until last Thursday when I noticed my thyroid was enlarged. I read online on thyroid nodules and iodine deficiency. I started to supplement iodine and the co-vitamins. Ordered lugol's iodine and iodoral online. Currently I take iodine and iodide in liquid form that I bought in local store. I'm using about 50mg a day with the co-vitamins for detox. Within 3 days my nodule became smaller. Maybe 50% smaller than last Thursday when I noticed it. I haven't experienced any detox except for additional bowel movement - which I think is a good thing. I was a little constipated before now I go 2 or 3 times a day. (sorry TMI).

Today My blood test came back:
    T4: 8 (range: 4.5 - 12)
    TSH: 2 (range: 0.4 - 4.5)

So I'm not hypothyroid, just my thyroid is enlarged to compensate for the lack of iodine in my body? So supplementing iodine is the best thing I can do to my thyroid?

The Ultrasound shows that I have two nodules, one dominant on the left, one smaller on the isthmus. Most likely benign. I'll get a fine needlepoint biopsy to confirm.

I don't have symptoms except that I feel a bit lazy lately... and heartbeats were slow, just about 56 last week, I used to have about 64 per minutes. I'm not cold. So basically no hyper or hypo symptoms except for laziness... not very motivated to get things done, etc. After taking the iodine and co-vitamins I feel more energized and my heart now beats 60 per minute. The nurse in school health center said don't take iodine before talking to a doctor... but that's the usual thing they say... What do you think? Thanks!!!

Liz

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by youthfuliz View Post
    Grizz and others,

I have been reading online on thyroid and iodine intensively for the last three days... and got a lot of information. Thanks for being so informative and helpful!

I noticed a large thyroid nodule last week and went to the school health center. I'm a graduate student in my thirties.They ordered blood test and ultrasound. I had thyroiditis 11 years ago following a miscarriage and stressful relationship and it recovered by itself within 6 months without medication. At that time my thyroid was not enlarged.

I had no problem until last Thursday when I noticed my thyroid was enlarged. I read online on thyroid nodules and iodine deficiency. I started to supplement iodine and the co-vitamins. Ordered lugol's iodine and iodoral online. Currently I take iodine and iodide in liquid form that I bought in local store. I'm using about 50mg a day with the co-vitamins for detox. Within 3 days my nodule became smaller. Maybe 50% smaller than last Thursday when I noticed it. I haven't experienced any detox except for additional bowel movement - which I think is a good thing. I was a little constipated before now I go 2 or 3 times a day. (sorry TMI).

Today My blood test came back:
    T4: 8 (range: 4.5 - 12)
    TSH: 2 (range: 0.4 - 4.5)

So I'm not hypothyroid, just my thyroid is enlarged to compensate for the lack of iodine in my body? So supplementing iodine is the best thing I can do to my thyroid?

The Ultrasound shows that I have two nodules, one dominant on the left, one smaller on the isthmus. Most likely benign. I'll get a fine needlepoint biopsy to confirm.

I don't have symptoms except that I feel a bit lazy lately... and heartbeats were slow, just about 56 last week, I used to have about 64 per minutes. I'm not cold. So basically no hyper or hypo symptoms except for laziness... not very motivated to get things done, etc. After taking the iodine and co-vitamins I feel more energized and my heart now beats 60 per minute. The nurse in school health center said don't take iodine before talking to a doctor... but that's the usual thing they say... What do you think? Thanks!!!

Liz
    Liz,
    I am sorry to say, we don't have any doctors here, and I am not a doctor, so we are definitely NOT qualified to discuss your medical problem.

However that being said, I do have opinions.
    1) Thyroid cancer is extremely rare, so the fine needlepoint biopsy should only be used as a last resort if your iodine supplementation is not effective. The odds are overwhelmingly in favor of your nodules going away from iodine with required supplements, as you have already proven, "Within 3 days my nodule became smaller."
    2) Don't let the greedy doctors remove any of your thyroid until you have tried all other avenues.
    3) You way want to increase your selenium beyond 200mcg temporarily. Do some google research on Iodine-Selenium to verify. You can go up to 400mcg (L-selenomethionine) without any adverse results.
    4) You should paint Lugols iodine with a carrier oil over your swollen nodules.

I would like to send you over to the Yahoo Iodine Group where they do have a VERY qualified doctor and experienced assistants for 2nd opinions. Things to ask them:
    * Search their site for nodules
    * How many MG iodine should you take for nodules. I think they will suggest 100mg, maybe even higher.
    * You may qualify for higher levels of Vitamin C, Magnesium and especially the ATP Cofactors tablets, I don't have enough experience to guide you on increasing dosage on these supplements.

After talking with Dr Buist at the Yahoo Iodine Group, please let us know what they advised you. We are all on a learning curve here. Also please download her free document, "The Guide to Supplementing with Iodine" which will help you

Also study THIS. I have complete confidence in this site. Read carefully:
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/?s=nodules&search=

Would anyone else like to chime in. Some of you have experience with similar issues.
    Best to you,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-10-2012 at 11:57 AM.

youthfuliz is offline Junior Member
    Thanks a lot Grizz!!! I've already got iodine+iodide on my neck covered with coconut oil. My internet order of lugol's iodine and iodoral will arrive tomorrow. Will read the link you provided and sign up the yahoo group. Will keep you posted of my progress. I have also read about dr. Brownstein and purchased his books on iodine and thyroid... waiting for them to arrive.

As to the fine needle biopsy... is there any side effect of doing it? Would it cause damage to the thyroid or nodules besides a little bleeding maybe? I have been searching online but haven't found any information on that. Please anyone if you know let me know. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by youthfuliz; 07-10-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by youthfuliz View Post
    Thanks a lot Grizz!!! I've already got iodine+iodide on my neck covered with coconut oil. My internet order of lugol's iodine and iodoral will arrive tomorrow. Will read the link you provided and sign up the yahoo group. Will keep you posted of my progress. I have also read about dr. Brownstein and purchased his books on iodine and thyroid... waiting for them to arrive.

As to the fine needle biopsy... is there any side effect of doing it? Would it cause damage to the thyroid or nodules besides a little bleeding maybe? I have been searching online but haven't found any information on that. Please anyone if you know let me know. Thanks!!!
    Sorry again, but I have a VERY LOW opinion of doctors. I actually think that most of them are the ENEMY... greedy, unethical, and could care less about your health. They will take every opportunity to do expensive and unneeded surgery. They will try to convince you to stop taking iodine. There are of course fine, upstanding ethical doctors who are interested in your best health.
    So if you insist on seeing a doctor here is my best advice:
    HOW TO FIND A GOOD DOCTOR | Stop The Thyroid Madness
    Iodine Literate Practitoners Directory

Don't let my negativism on doctors interfere with what you are doing. You are doing everything right so far, and I am sometimes too outspoken. I am what I am, take the good with the bad.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-10-2012 at 12:58 PM.