Page 322 of 415 FirstFirst ... 222272312320321322323324332372 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,220 of 4146

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 322

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Zophie,

Here is a very long letter from a lady, Jeannette, describing her son’s autism to Dr. Cannell. I shortened the letter for page contraints.

I was not aware of all these symptoms but I now realize my diabetic type 1 Down syndrome 30 year old daughter has them.

BTW they are talking about D3 not just D. I give 5000 iu’s of D3 to my daughter each and every night. Her D3 blood level was 70 ng/ml a couple of months ago according to her blood work. I also spray her with magnesium oil and give her 1 MILLIgram of K2-mk4 with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil three times a DAY. I’ve had to reduce her insulin shot of Novalog by 40% when I give her D3 and Iodine.

Dear Dr. Cannell:

At age 2.5 years, between December 2007 and January 2008, my son experienced a fairly dramatic onset of symptoms that led to his diagnosis of autism. His symptoms (many of which we did not even know the terminology for at the time they first occurred) included:
    –The inability to sleep at night, we would put him to bed at 8:00 or 8:30 p.m. following his normal bedtime routine
    –Development of anxiety and refusal to leave the house even to do preferred activities
    –Obsessive-repetitive questions and monologuing/run-on speech
    –Sensory issues (refusal to wear jeans or any fabrics other than fleece, screaming hysterically at bath time, complaining and covering eyes in sunlight, covering ears for everyday noises that had not bothered him before (toilets flushing, pulling pots and pans from cupboards, etc.)
    –Toe-walking
    –Flapping and self-stimulating behaviors (repeatedly tapping his cheeks and eyes with all ten fingers, continually twisting up his fingers in pretzel-like configurations, holding objects in his peripheral range of vision and straining to see them from the corner of his eyes)
    –Development of an unusual pattern of stuttering/vocal tic at the end of words,he would repeat the last sound/syllable,”I don’t want to go to the store-or-or-or-or-or-or. It won’t be fun-n-n-n-n-n-n-n.” He would make sounds even in his sleep “n-n-n-n-n-n” or “s-s-s-s-s-s-s”
    –Loss of muscle tone (stopped walking up and down stairs and began crawling/sliding instead, decline in balance and motor skills)
    –loss of handedness (began switching left to right hand, after seeming predominantly left-handed)
    –Marked increase in hyperactivity
    –Frequent spacing out/unresponsive episodes

Our son has always spent a lot of time outdoors in the summer, without sunblock. He had a happy and relaxing summer. As fall/back-to-school approached, I began to fear the onset of another regression and again read the article by Dr. Cannell my friend had sent. I visited his website and decided we would try a vitamin D3 supplement. Our pediatrician did not encourage any dose higher than 400 i.u. (that found in a typical multivitamin) but did write a script to have his 25-hydroxy level tested. In August his level was 37, so we started him on 5,000 iu daily and had his level retested on October 21st. By October his level was 96. The pediatrician was concerned that this was too high and told us he should not have more than 400 iu per day.
    Knowing that Nov-March are typically his worst months, we reduced the dosage down only to 3,000 iu from October through mid-December. At an appointment in December our son was doing wonderfully (none of his usual fall/winter symptoms yet evident) and the pediatrician told us 3,000 iu was too much and that we should be giving no more than 400 iu. In mid-December we reduced the dose to 1,500 iu. By the beginning of January we noted a marked loss of eye contact. We also noted that our son was again interchanging his right hand for writing and eating (after using his left hand exclusively for 8+ months). We increased his vitamin D level to 4,000 iu daily in early January. On January 11 we had his 25-Hydroxy level checked on January 11 and found that it was 89. By the end of January, we and his grandparents noted improvement in his eye contact.

Here is my favorite part of the letter. t2t

This winter (January 2010), a former colleague asked me what Jonathan’s current therapy program consists of. I told her I spend about 30 seconds each day opening the jar of vitamins and giving him his chewable vitamin D3. In my opinion, the 3 minutes or so I spend each week giving him his vitamin D3 have been much more effective, and much less expensive, than any other treatment we have pursued.

Thank you.

Jeannette, Wisconsin
    Here is part of the response from Dr. Cannell to Jeannette:
    The report that your son deteriorated when his dose was reduced from 3,000 to 1,500 IU suggests autistic children need adult doses of Vitamin D3.

WeeksMD Autism and Vit D3

Good health is sometimes a mere page-read away.

Hope this helps.

t2t
    Last edited by t2t; 07-07-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by t2t View Post
    Edit:

Hey Grizz,

This is a site you need to see, up to 1600 MICROGRAMS a day of selenomethionine.

Selenite and selenate are both inorganic forms of selenium and have an absorption rate of about 50%. This unfortunately, increases the chance of selenium toxicity. For this reason alone, organic forms of selenium, such as selenium yeast or selenomethionine, are safer and are more readily absorbed. In fact, organic forms of selenium are the only way to raise serum levels of selenium within the body. This is attributed to their bioavailability. When using organic forms of selenium, current research shows that doses up to 1600 mcg a day were well tolerated with no signs of toxicity although most experts recommend upper tolerable limits to be 400-600 mcg a day. Selenium yeast does have a higher absorption rate, (about 60-70%), than that of selenite or selenate. Yet some manufacturers simply add inorganic selenium, Selenite and selenate to yeast products, so caution is necessary when taking such products.

In addition, those with candida issues may want to avoid yeast type supplements as their specific symptoms could be compounded. Of the selenium supplements, selenomethionine has the best bioavailability with an absorption rate of 90%. It is organic and yeast free. When compared with other selenium supplements selenomethionine proves to be the most applicable and safest for long-term therapeutic use.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/selenium/

If a selenium deficiency causes an iodine deficiency, leaving you both selenium and iodine deficient, and supplementing with either selenium or iodine causes severe problems, (then the only solution is to supplement both selenium and iodine simultaneously and gradually.)

Wow! look at all the stuff that gets affected if either iodine or selenium get off balanced!!!

Health Related Articles - Thyroid Health - Interactions Between Selenium and Iodine

P.S. Tin?? Helps iodine absorb?
    T2T,
    Thank you for the research & information. I have added your excellent article on Iodine vs Selenium to our Iodine References, chapter Selenium.

I also verified what Dr. Brownstein said in his book about selenium.
    He defines the selenium dosage as adequate at 100mcg to 200mcg or not adequate 55mcg.

So this makes it easy. The correct dosage for optimal thyroid health is simply 100 to 200mcg a day to be safe & effective. Government RDA is 55mcg a day, & Dr. Brownstein says this is inadequate to handle detox.

So bottom line, the 200mcg recommendation is more than adequate for optimal thyroid health.
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 07-07-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    I just wanted to come back and update on the status of my cold/flu/strep throat, whatever the heck it was.

Here was my morning attack dose of everything:
    1 tbsp. of coconut oil in my coffee
    15,000 IU D3
    25 mgs of Lugol's
    15 drops of grapefruit seed extract mixed in with 4 grams of chlorella
    1 tsp. fermented cod liver oil and butter oil (usual dose is 1/2 tsp.)

After an hour or two, I noticed that I was starting to feel better. By the afternoon, my fever was completely gone (it had been around 102 when I woke up in the morning). I had the chlorella and GSE 3 more times, as well as 2 more Tbsp. of coconut oil throughout the day. I also gargled a few times with warm salt water (celtic sea salt).
    In the late afternoon/early evening, I started to feel exhausted again, and the fever started to come back. I had an idea that it had been the iodine that had made me feel so much better. So I took another 25 mgs, and sure enough, within a few hours, the fever was dropping again and I was feeling a bit better.
    I went to sleep early, taking another 15,000 IU of D3 before bed.

The next morning I woke up with only a slightly increased temperature, and a little bit of tiredness and sore throat. By the end of that day, it felt like I was not sick at all!! On the contrary, I had a lot of energy and felt great!

I was due to increase my dose, but have decided to stay put at 6.25 mgs for a few more days, due to the 50 mgs on Wednesday.

Iodine really is amazing stuff!!

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Paleogirl,

That is wonderful news! So glad you are feeling better so quickly.

Gwynn

t2t
    t2t is offline Member
    Paleogirl,

So glad you caught iodine fever for better health! D3-in-it strongly too!

t2t

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the support and advice for my daughter. I am always open to new information. =)

I will seriously look into the magnesium threonate. I haven't heard of it before.

The D3 really does help just like the lady was saying. My daughter takes 5000 IU everyday (as well as getting lots of sunshine) and we really notice a difference if she doesn't get it.

Over the years we have tried quite a few things that help and lots that didn't. Right now she is taking: B-complex, vitamin C, D3, magnesium, zinc/copper and fish oil. Just recently added the iodine and selenium. She eats about 70% primal... it would be higher if we didn't live next door to grandma. Autism runs in my family. I have a few cousins who are clearly on the spectrum. So, I am not looking to cure my daughter, I just want her to be as healthy and happy as possible. Everyone deserves that.

I am hopeful about the iodine. It feels like it is one of the missing pieces to our puzzle.

On another note: Today, in the salon, my client was asking me why the outside half of her eyebrows had fallen out. I told her that is a sign of an out of balance thyroid and I ask her if she had ever had it checked. It turns out that she was working on it with her doctor and was taking hormones and 25mg of iodine. She seemed to think she was getting way worse not better. I made her read the article about iodine and selenium. It was enough to convince her to run out and get selenium and B vitamins today. It was awesome to be able to have that information to share.
    Last edited by Zophie; 07-07-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zophie View Post
    Thanks for all the support and advice for my daughter. I am always open to new information. =)

I will seriously look into the magnesium threonate. I haven't heard of it before.

The D3 really does help just like the lady was saying. My daughter takes 5000 IU everyday (as well as getting lots of sunshine) and we really notice a difference if she doesn't get it.

Over the years we have tried quite a few things that help and lots that didn't. Right now she is taking: B-complex, vitamin C, D3, magnesium, zinc/copper and fish oil. Just recently added the iodine and selenium. She eats about 70% primal... it would be higher if we didn't live next door to grandma. Autism runs in my family. I have a few cousins who are clearly on the spectrum. So, I am not looking to cure my daughter, I just want her to be as healthy and happy as possible. Everyone deserves that.

I am hopeful about the iodine. It feels like it is one of the missing pieces to our puzzle.

On another note: Today, in the salon, my client was asking me why the outside half of her eyebrows had fallen out. I told her that is a sign of an out of balance thyroid and I ask her if she had ever had it checked. It turns out that she was working on it with her doctor and was taking hormones and 25mg of iodine. She seemed to think she was getting way worse not better. I made her read the article about iodine and selenium. It was enough to convince her to run out and get selenium and B vitamins today. It was awesome to be able to have that information to share.
    Zophie,

You are awesome. We need all of the iodine disciples we can get. There is Television, telephone & tell-a-woman & telewoman is the best communication that exists. We only have 100 million more women to go. It seems to be mission impossible, but I am very confident we can do it. You can use all of my research in "Iodine References"
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

to write magazine articles. Make BIG MONEY and get the word out to suffering women, too! Your messages are extremely well written, so you have a definite talent. There are many womens health magazines and rags like the Globe that will love to pay your for articles.

Grizz

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zophie View Post

Zophie, have you also tried higher doses of B12 for autism? And from what I've read, many autistic children have gut issues which can go back to in-utero toxins from mom (including mercury and candida) even if you haven't been vaccinating. So detoxing is another tool that informed doctors use. Each child needs to be treated based on his/her individual needs. I recently downloaded this free book and was amazed at how much practical info this had about autism treatments as well as other info for adults with methylation issues. http://www.holisticheal.com/autism-p...-workbook.html

If you've already seen this book, then disregard! Can't remember where I read about it and it could've been this thread.

Many vaccines still DO contain mercury and aluminum which are incredibly toxic together even if the doctor says they've been phased out. So even if the mercury was phased out after the vaccine expired, they've replaced it with more aluminum which is also horrific for the guts of many particularly vulnerable children which goes back to the methylation issue. Flu shots still contain mercury no matter what your doctor says.
    Last edited by DuhPrincess; 07-07-2012 at 03:33 PM.

hijimmy is offline Junior Member
    Hi. Im new to this forum. I joined after starting iodine about a month or so ago, and I read most of this thread, which is considerable. Anyway. Iodine has kind of kicked my but and maybe one, or some of you have some answers. Basically I started taking not much at all because the initial solution was so weak. I would estimate about 3mg perhaps. And almost immediately I got a pain in my throat, where the thyroid is I believe, and my voice essentially broke. Very deep. It felt like the lower part of my throat was now operational. I felt good otherwise, apart from difficulty sleeping. Initially my thinking was clearer, however after a couple of weeks my thinking became foggy. My voice normalised over a week or so and I increased my dose over about a week and a half from starting to about 40+mg. After reading this thread, that was probably not the best idea. At about the 3 week mark I basically lost my voice, had a fever and felt not the best. So i have stopped taking iodine for now and will probably start up at a much lower dose and gradually dose up; 1 drop of the 2% lugols per day, perhaps. Anyway I read that the fever is associated with iodine poisoning. Is this true? or is this detox? Is iodine poisoning valid? I have not read of other people having this experience. I have also not read anything connecting iodine to voice changes like this, however it does seem to be associated with the thyroid. Did i over stimulate my thyroid? I am just taking it easy right now as things rectify themselves.
    Thanks
    J

asmitty is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quick question. I'm looking at Selenium by source naturals. Their pills have ~200mg calcium. Is this a low enough amount to not cause issue with the protocol?

Thank you again