Page 313 of 415 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315323363413 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,130 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 313

JoeyA is offline Member
    I assume those are manufacturing costs and don't include advertising fees, R and D costs, etc?

Fredneck is offline Junior Member

Exclamation India

My intent here is not to derail this great thread but just to shed some light on what goes on in India for those who may be considering buying their prescription drugs from over there. Their quality control may not be the greatest.

WARNING! The images in the following link are very graphic in nature, for example it is a common practice to float their dead down river all the while people are bathing in the same river. You have have to see it to believe it. Yet there is even more discusting horrifying aspects of the Indian culture that I won't go into.

India The Dark Side

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Did you ever wonder how much it costs a drug company for the active ingredient in prescription medications? Some people think it must cost a lot, since many drugs sell for more than $2.00 per tablet. We did a search of offshore chemical synthesizers that supply the active ingredients found in drugs approved by the FDA. As we have revealed in past issues of Life Extension a significant percentage of drugs sold in the United States contain active ingredients made in other countries. In our independent investigation of how much profit drug companies really make, we obtained the actual price of active ingredients used in some of the most popular drugs sold in America ..

Celebrex:100 mg
    Consumer price (100 tablets): $130.27
    Cost of general active ingredients: $0.60
    Percent markup: 21,712%
    Truncated for space reasons
    While there's no doubt that drug companies (like most any other) are out to make as much profit as they can, this is really an unfair measure. By counting only the cost of the active ingredients and calling all the rest "markup", they are leaving out such costs as processing plants, research, employees, and a whole host of others that any large company has (marketing, legal, accounting, etc). I'd venture to say that there are any number of other industries where they would also find that the end products sell for similar multiples of the cost of the raw materials used to make them.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    I take a Klor-con tablet everyday. I have learned to swallow this horse pill without a problem. But I was wondering if there was a better, non-perscription form of potasium I could/should be taking? It is 'Potasium Chloride' so I was wondering if there was another non-halide solution. What foods in what quantities should I be eating? I think fruits contain potasium, but I have type II diabetes, so I can not eat much.
    John,
    I could not find a Generic for your Klor-Con. It must still be under patent?

If there are no Generic drugs available, then the greedy drug companies have got you by the balls. It seems like there should be natural foods available to supply those nutrients?

Grizz

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    ...some of us seem to have a problem taking the ATP co-factors. Well a possible reason/connection here. ATP co-factors contains high amounts (500mg) of B3. From this article on Methylation:

Excess niacin (B3) is metabolized by methylation and thus uses up methyl groups. Also aim for 50 mg or less. These values are likely for an adult so a child needs much less.

According to Pfeiffer, "Actually excess niacin (B3) is metabolized by methylation and thus uses up methyl groups." So if you are an over-methylator, meaning you have extra, then B3 is good because it uses them up, but if you are an under-methylator, meaning deficient, then giving extra B3 is bad because it drains an already poor supply.

and

Q: How does high dose niacin (vitamin B3) fit in with methylation?

A: Actually excess niacin is metabolized by methylation and thus uses up methyl groups. One source suggests to aim for under 75mg (usually ~50mg) of niacin+niacinamide per day from supplements. If you are taking large quantities of B3, please get your homocysteine and SAM checked to make sure this niacin isn't excessively taxing the methyl metabolism. Likewise some supplements have lots of B6 (e.g. 100mg) and between 20 and 50mg per day of B6, or less, might be better.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    John,
    I could not find a Generic for your Klor-Con. It must still be under patent?

If there are no Generic drugs available, then the greedy drug companies have got you by the balls. It seems like there should be natural foods available to supply those nutrients?

Grizz
    Grizz, I was looking for supplwmwents and found several that would provide potassium without the chloride. Another example of using chloride to deliver.

LJ
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hebsie View Post
    ...some of us seem to have a problem taking the ATP co-factors. Well a possible reason/connection here. ATP co-factors contains high amounts (500mg) of B3. From this article on Methylation:
    Hebsie,
    This is news to me. Who are "some?" I have seen no one in this group and no one in the CureZone Group report any problems at all from taking the ATP cofactors caplet. Not even any flushing. What exactly are the "problems?" Please supply links to these problems.Which B3 are you referring to? There is a B3 that causes severe flushing, and the B3 in ATP cofactors that is flush free. You can't lump both of these to a common B3. Dr. Brownstein recommends the B3 found in the ATP cofactors, which is flush free.
    Discussion of ATP Cofactors

This is the only reported side effect on a google search of ATP Cofactors Side Effects:
    SIDE EFFECTS
    The flushing associated with niacin is avoided by using a non flushing derivative of niacin. The Urine turns dark yellow due to the excretion of Riboflavin and may stain undergarment in subjects with urinary incontinence.
    I would call the urine a Bright Yellow color.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-30-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    Grizz, I was looking for supplwmwents and found several that would provide potassium without the chloride. Another example of using chloride to deliver.
    LJ
    Oh, John you hit on a raw nerve. Do you mean using chlorides to break into the cell membrane or get past the blood/brain barrier? I have noticed that most of the drug ingredients that I have looked into use Bromide, fluoride or Chlorine to sneak their active ingredients into the cells. But notice they NEVER use iodine to sneak into the cells. IMO, they could use healthy iodine to sneak their drug into the cells instead of halide toxins, but they won't because that would improve health in the patient. No, they focus on delivering their drugs into the cells with the Halide TOXINS instead. Just my opinion and I could be obviously dead wrong.

So it seems to me that if you are taking iodine supplements with your potassium, then iodine should carry your potassium into your cells in a more healthy way. Here is another thought, Lugols contains both iodine AND Potassium Iodide. Could Lugols be giving you all the Potassium you need? What do you think?

Chloride

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-30-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Save Money on Iodine:
    =================

Here is 33 oz. (1 liter) of 2% Lugol's for $66 delivered. That is $2 per ounce.

Lugol's Iodine solution 2.2% - 1 Liter (33.8 oz) 628586740792 | eBay
    9.l2649

Grizz

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Really grizz, I don't think they're using chloride as a binder material solely to keep out iodne and keep us unhealthy. That sort of thinking sounds too deep to be a conspiracy theory, don't you think? They probably picked chloride because it's cheaper or because it's a better binder, that's all.

That part about the excessive riboflavin and niacin is interesting. I'm still working on my first bottle of B complex, but I'm now taking two pills for a total of 200 mg niacine 10 mg ribo. (I think, I don't ahve the bottle at the moment.) I too am getting the bright yellow urine, but nothing dark. I'm a bit hesistant about going up to the full ATP cofactor dose.

I haven't started the full iodine protocol yet. I'm still waiting on that.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.