Page 307 of 415 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357407 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,070 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 307

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Gems From The Internet

How to best take iodine for Cysts in the breasts
    =================================
    The best is to space your iodine throughout the day. its the elemental iodine that works on the cysts and elemental Iodine is gone from the bloodstream in two hours. You need at least 50mg but 100mg is better. Be done with all of them by 6 in the evening to avoid possible insomnia.

something like 2 (iodoral) at 8AM, 10, 2PM and 4. that would work really well.

[also Take your required supplements each day]
    Re: Dosage of iodoral- breast cysts at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1954685)
    I questioned Trappers message:
    He determined there was a peak in the blood serum level 2 hours after taking the iodoral, and didn't know where it went after the 2 hour peak. It was absorbed into the tissues where it was needed most. The object here seems to be trying to keep iodine flowing in the bloodstream to bathe the cysts in iodine for as long as possible and then reduce the iodine at night to help prevent insomnia. I have tried taking 50 mg in the morning & 50mg before bed & have not noticed insomnia problems. I'll be looking for more details on blood serum iodine levels.

AHA! Here is the Research Report on this subject with charts:

http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/pdfs/IOD07.pdf

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-23-2012 at 12:15 AM.

smgj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I don't know if it's been discussed already, but my science teacher told me that omega 6 oils interfere with thyroid signaling. So when eating primal (avoiding these oils) you need a smaller amount of iodine than the average american
    Your teacher is probably on the right track - that primal people may need less added iodine for reaching optimal than the average american does. Especially using oils from cruciferous plants (rapeseed / canola oil) is a groitogen which may well deplete the body of iodine (like it does for cows & cow's milk).
    Iodine concentrations in cow’s milk in Central and Northern Bohemia
    Studies on the effects of rapeseed meal on thyroid st... [J Nutr. 1979] - PubMed - NCBI

So going/staying primal will probably reduce the wash-out from these sourches. But it won't reduce any unwanted halids you may have picked up from the environment we live in.

And I still believe that the average american (and european too) get too little iodine in the first place, so that the need for most people is unsatisfied.
    Last edited by smgj; 06-22-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Thank you, mom5booklover. I don't remember the scratching. I was wondering if burning the skin with iodine, or burning the skin with ACV, or scratching the mole first, all achieve the same purpose... faster iodine absorption. Maybe the toe moles aren't budging because that skin is far stronger than the skin elsewhere; the toe skin never burned. There was progress in the other moles after the first skin peel. Hmmm.... maybe I should do ACV for the toe skin only? I think the spot-bandaid is going to do the trick. I get the same sting from the iodine, but it's over a smaller area.

I'm still a bit apprehensive about removing a mole. I'm still under the impression that moles are just funny skin, and that I'm really damaging my skin. That said, I am STUNNED that we can just get rid of these things. I always thought moles were something you simply lived with until a doctor said, yikes melanoma let's dig this out. I have a slightly larger mole on my back that I would really like to see gone, but I don't want to mess with that one yet.

Gadsie, I envy you your young age. As a primal, you are eliminating brominated flour and god known what else is in our GMO and junk food. You only have 16-17 years of halogen buildup, while I have twice as much.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Here is my take on Trappers message:
    The object here seems to be trying to keep iodine flowing in the bloodstream to bathe the cysts in iodine for as long as possible and then reduce the iodine at night to prevent insomnia. Apparently iodine goes through the body into urine within 2 hours of taking an iodoral. That is surprising. I didn't realize iodoral flushed through the body so quickly, but then I never thought about this before. I'll conform this with trapper & update this message.
    It can't all be excreted in 2hr. Otherwise, the 24 hour iodine urine test wouldn't be for 24 hours. The test involves taking one 50mg pill at the beginning of it.
    But maybe enough is excreted that cysts do better with a more constant stream of it.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    It can't all be excreted in 2hr. Otherwise, the 24 hour iodine urine test wouldn't be for 24 hours. The test involves taking one 50mg pill at the beginning of it.
    But maybe enough is excreted that cysts do better with a more constant stream of it.
    You are right. I questioned trapper on that and he said the 2 hours presented a peak in the blood serum when the level started going down, and no one knows where it went... mainly absorbed into tissues where it was needed most but not into the urine. So he assumed it was mostly used for dissolving the cysts. I will keep my ear to the ground on the subject of blood serum levels of iodine. His main point was that in the case of disease, cysts & cancers, it was best to try to keep the serum level high for longer time frames. Interesting food for thought.

AHA Moment! I just found the original research report on this subject. Google is VERY fussy about using the correct search words.

I LOVE this chart comparing iodine blood levels for a woman just starting iodine supplements for the first time and then after 1 month of taking iodoral iodine. She is clearly OPTIMAL !

Much more here:
    http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/pdfs/IOD07.pdf
    and here:
    http://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Research_I.shtml

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-23-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    "The function of the thyroid gland is not to set the temperature of the body, but to control the temperature of the brain. The actual temperature of the body or torso, is secondary and only based on the temperature state or circadian rhythm state of the brain.

The thyroid gland acts as a multiple-stage thermostat computer which controls the temperature of the brain. But what sets the thermostat temperature is the feedback from the sleep/wake circadian rhythm center in the hypothalamus in the brain. This is similar to setting your house temperature thermostat up during the day, and then setting it back to a lower temperature at night while you sleep. Some people today even have computerized thermostats to automatically set the temperature up and down at the right time of day. But no computerized thermostat is as accurate and multi-staged as is your natural computerized thermostat - your thyroid gland.

Most of the glands in your body work by releasing chemicals called hormones which remotely control numerous function in other parts of your body. Most of your glands are either in your brain, in the hypothalamus, or in your abdomen such as your liver, pancreas or adrenal glands. The location of the thyroid gland is unique. It is in the front of your throat just below the "Adam's apple." Why is it there?

It is there to constantly measure and compare the temperature of the outside air around you which goes through the bronchial tube which is attached to the back of the thyroid gland. It is there also to measure and compare the temperature of the blood in the two carotid arteries going directly from the heart to the brain. The two left and right carotid arteries pass right through the center of the the left and right lobes of your thyroid gland. Is the function, location and purpose of the thyroid gland, as a brain thermostat starting to make sense?

How does the thyroid gland work? Assume that the thyroid senses that the brain temperature is correct but the air temperature around you starts to rise several degrees. To counteract the small rise in temperature the thyroid gland, specifically the small rice grain-sized mini-glands called the "parathyroids" in each lobe of the thyroid gland release a hormone which makes the lining of the lungs more permeable to the water in your blood serum. This extra water in your lungs quickly evaporates and cools the lungs with each breath you take. Since all of your blood also travels through the lungs every several seconds, this effectively cools your blood, brain and body.

If the outside air temperature goes a few degrees higher and even the blood temperature starts to rise, the thyroid gland kicks in with the second stage of its function. It releases a hormone which acts on your largest organ - your skin. At first, it opens the blood vessels in the skin to dump heat directly to the air, this is called a reddening or flushing of the skin, and the skin feels warm to the touch. A few more degrees rise in temperature and the thyroid sends other hormones which tell the millions of small glands in the skin called sweat glands to take water from the blood and dump the water onto the skin surface where it evaporates and cools the body - but really it is not just to cool the body, but is cooling the blood going to your brain. The brain temperature is the critical temperature.

You want proof? Stick your arm in a bucket of warm water with a temperature of 110 degrees F (43C) and it feels uncomfortable, but no big deal. But raise your brain temperature to 110F and you'll pass out and die. What else can I say? The purpose of the thyroid is to control brain temperature, and not body temperature. A third stage of thyroid function, beyond sweating, is to increase the breathing rate, called panting, to increase the amount of heat being evaporated from the lungs to the air. Many animals which don't sweat, such as birds, furry animals and dogs, go directly from increased lung evaporation to panting. Very active dogs even dump a large amount of heat by expelling lots of hot water, called drooling. The hot drool water may be dumped directly on the ground or even on to the pet owners face in a show of "hot blooded" affection for the pup's owner. Isn't the thyroid a wondrous gland?

When the outside air becomes colder, the thyroid again goes through several stages of hormone production depending on the amount of temperature difference between the air and the brain. First, the amount of water from the blood serum going into the lungs is reduced. You surely have noticed that on very cold days, you can "see" your breath as the warm moist air from your lungs condenses into visible "steamy breath." You probably never noticed that after several minutes you can't see your breath anymore. Why? That's because your thyroid has shut off the supply of water in your lungs. You don't want to lose any body heat which can escape by evaporation in the lungs. This tends to dry out your lungs and sometimes this makes breathing in very cold air rather painful, since the lining of the lung becomes dry and stiff.

In a second stage, another set of thyroid hormones constrict all the blood vessels in the skin so the skin appears ashy white and pale and feels cold to the touch. No body heat is lost through the skin. In a third stage, the body generates heat by physically moving the muscles through involuntary shivering, and later in a fourth stage even increases the metabolic rate to generate more internal body heat. The thyroid gland is an incredibly complex biological thermostat with about ten or more temperature set points and chemical hormone functions. The normal set points go up and down each day with the daily sleep/wake cycles of the circadian rhythms. And the thyroid also is a major component of the body's immune system by raising the temperature of the body and lungs to create fevers which stop and prevent the replication of invading viruses at a temperature above about 101F. Without a thyroid gland and fevers we would all die of bird flu. Birds are more primitive animals and only have simple prototype thyroid glands which don't work the same way our mammal thyroids work. The birds don't sweat and usually don't produce fevers. That's why birds can die of viral bird flu by the millions. This almost never happens with humans.

It was while doing experiments with the normal operation of the thyroid gland that I discovered the "Thyroid Paradox." I was trying to discover how the operation of the thyroid gland could be manipulated to modify, change or shift the normal circadian rhythms. In 1988 I worked with a octor/psychiatrist in San Jose, Californina, who was interested my my charts and data of my own daily, monthly and annual circadian rhythms based on my observations of my oral temperature which I took hourly and wrote down on several pages of my daily temperature journal. I am sure most of my friends, family and co-workers must have thought I was a real hypochondriac since I took my temperature every hour on the hour for several years from 1986 to 1989, and I even wrote it down. But it was a treasure trove of scientific data.

The protocol for the experiment I proposed with the doctor was that I would use the synthetic thyroid drug, Synthroid, to shift my circadian rhythms to an earlier awakening time by taking Synthroid in the morning at the new earlier time. I took the usual thyroid panel of medical tests to show that I had normal thyroid function and the doc wrote me a prescription for a big bottle of Synthroid. As a control experiment, I also did this test alternately each week with other protocols: using only very bright lights in the morning at the new time, then the next week using only L-Tryptophan capsules, then a week of Synthroid, and then a week of Tryptophan with added B6.

Each morning I took a dose of bright light or pills, and took my oral temperature every 15 minutes for the next hour. I graphed the first-hour rise time of my body-brain temperature for each protocol. The bright lights and the L-Tryptophan worked perfectly and caused an hour earlier shift to occur on Tuesday, after starting each protocol on Monday. On the weekends I used nothing and allowed my circadian waking time to slip back to the later normal time. With the Synthroid, it seemed to work just like the Light and the L-tryptophan for two days and then it seemed to fade away to nothing by the fourth day. At no time did the tryptophan with the B6 ever work, even when I drastically increased the dosage. This absolutely proved that the B6 had destroyed the beneficial effect of the tryptophan by turning it into Niacin before it ever even got to the brain.

I explained my observations to my co-experimenter doctor and asked if I could increase the dose of Synthroid. He approved. Again I observed the same thing. I had doubled the dose from 50mg to 100mg. It seemed to work on Tuesday and Wednesday, but by Thursday it took almost an hour for the brain temperature to show a rise, and by Friday it had no effect. On the next monthly cycle of the Synthroid experiment, I again increased the dosage to 200mg and a month later to 400mg. All with the same effect. It worked for two days and by the fourth day it did absolutely nothing, regardless of dosage.

I discussed the results, my charts and data logbooks at length with the doctor. I said I presumed that the thyroid gland is not the master gland which controls body temperature, as is assumed by most of the medical profession. There must be some higher gland, probably in the hypothalamus of the brain which sets the instantaneous changing daily temperature-setpoint for the thyroid.

Rest of the story here:
    thyroid, brain temperature & more at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1955166)

Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    FRANKENSTEIN GM CROPS PROVEN UNHEALTHY, FAIL TO KILL SUPER BUGS
    ==================================================
    These crops have insecticides gene spliced & mutated right into the food ! One more reason to stay away from grains & corn invented by Monsanto.
    Adding to GM crop concerns, recent research from Canadian scientists found that pesticides used on genetically modified (GM) crops and, in some cases, the genes used to create GM crops are able to survive in our digestive tracts, move into our bloodstreams and, in the case of pregnant women, show up in their developing infants. The research contradicts repeated contentions by Monsanto and the EPA that only insects would be hurt by GM crops.
    Prison Planet.com Nature fights back – bugs devour GM Monsanto corn with a vengeance
    Read the book, Wheat Belly by Dr. Wm Davis for the entire Horror Story being created by Monsanto & their GM crops.
    Wheat Belly Blog | Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight

Just say NO to Genetically Modified Crops. NO to GMO.
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-24-2012 at 07:43 AM.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm I think it would be a safe bet to avoid ANYTHING created by Monsanto.....
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

smgj is offline Senior Member
    Once more. Dr Davies does NOT state that wheat/grains is genetically modified - just read the blog and the book... But he does state that the cross breeding had lead to a wheat that harms most people.

+1 to avoid Monsanto crops & pesticides.
    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Wheat has not GMO, it has been cross bread, irradiated, but not GMO by the strict definition.
    A lot of the corn now is GMO with the pesticide inserted into the genome, and guess what it is not working, the insects are adapting which could lead to a huge crop failure.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!