Page 306 of 415 FirstFirst ... 206256296304305306307308316356406 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,060 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 306

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I have not. Only what I have read on here. Which is valid in that it is what other people here seem to be using!
    @@Artbuc,
    The skin patch test is not accurate. It simply gives a ballpark estimation of iodine deficiency. There is only one test that is accurate, and it looks like breadsauce is ready for it, called the Iodine Loading Test. When I think I am fully sufficient in iodine, and my skin patch test also looks good, I will take the Iodine loading test.

This Iodine Loading Test actually measures the amount of iodine, bromide & fluoride in the urine to determine how much of a 50mg iodine pill was used by the body, and how much went out in the urine.
    Hakala Research - Home

More about the urine loading test How & why it works. The Bromide & Fluoride testing should also be done to get the most accurate results.

My first skin patch was GONE in only 3 minutes, so there was no question that I was severely deficient. Now, after 6 months titrating from 1/2mg daily to 100mg iodine daily, my skin patch test using Lugols 5% lasts about 7 hours. The iodine fades away in 24 hours even when painted on a countertop. So theoretically if it fades away in less time on your skin, the body used some of it. However that is dependent on air temp & humidity, and so is not accurate. All I can say is that I am more iodine sufficient now with a 7 hour skin test than what I was with a 3 min skin test.

I plan to take the Hakala testing around October to verify my iodine sufficiency. I should test 90% or better by then. We know that 90% of Americans are severely deficient, so there is no point spending all of that money for Hakala's testing to tell us what we already know, and is easily proven by the skin patch test.

The $64,000 question is how much iodine should then be taken daily for maintenance. Mrs. Grizz & I think we should be OK with 12mg iodoral daily because we drink filtered well water, we are on a strict paleo diet and we read labels to avoid all sources of Bromide, Fluoride & Chlorine as much as possible. Now if you drink city water toxified with Fluoride, drink beer, soft drinks, bottled water then you will likely need 50mg iodoral daily per Dr. Brownstein's recommendation to overcome the halide toxins. Yes, shockingly even most brands of bottled water contains nasty halide chemicals. Read the labels for EVERYTHING that enters our body. Beer is made using city water with Fluoride. The goal is to take 12mg net above the halides entering your body each day.

So, for certain, breadsauce is ready for the Hakala iodine/fluoride/bromide testing.

@@Breadsauce, if you do it, please let us know how it works out.

NOTE: Hakala Labs says do not take any iodine at all 48+ hours before testing.

Has anyone else done this test yet? It will be fun to hear your opinions.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-22-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Gems From The Internet:

I don't seem to be absorbing iodine. Why?
    ===============================
    Q) Hello, What can I do to do increase my absorption from iodoral or lugols?
    I seem not to be absorbing the iodine...fibroid is still big. What is the minimum dose of iodine for fibroids? 100mg..currently on 75mg feeling no side effects.
    -----

A1) Shrinking fibroids I have found, will take several months to accomplish. With me, my fibroids were small and it took more than 5 months. I took Lugol’s 5% and ended up after 16 weeks taking 100 mg. There is no minimum dose of Iodine, it is whatever works for you in whatever length of time. Everyone is different. Get on a course of the amount you want to take and stay with it. If you have any “gut issues” (which I did), I think the liquid Lugol’s would work well. This may take many months.
    ----

A) The ATP Co Factors, an optional supplement in the iodine protocol, is to help any problems with "uptake" of iodine.
    Dr. Brownstein's Iodine book, p.166, talks about "an organification defect", cells not properly using the supplemented iodine. In the given example, the ATP CoFactors remedied the problem. It also helps oxidation of iodide issues, p. 171.
    Until you figure out what your particular problem is, I recommend using the ATP CoFactors tablet that were designed to help you use the iodine you're taking.
    ---
    Comment: Chapter 8 in Brownstein's book, Iodine, why you need it, why you can't live without it details the need for the ATP Cofactors Tablet (B2 & B3 in correct type & ratio). It basically helps excrete the toxins & absorb the iodine at the cellular level.
    Our resident expert, Lynne says that we are wasting our money on iodine if we don't also take the ATP Cofactors Tablet.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-22-2012 at 07:39 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Gems From The Internet:
    ================

This message gets 3 stars because it strikes at the heart of needless IodoPhobia - Fear of iodine

Question:
    Hi, I'm very worried, I have Iodoral 12.5mg bottle here on my desk. I'm staring at it and scared. Dr.Mercola says that Iodoral is not recommended and the dose is very high, he says it causes Hypothyroidism.
    or substitute Thyroid Storm, Hyperthyroid, or any of the other BS iodophobia terms that are proven to be dead wrong, Grizz
    I know that the Japanese people consume around 13mg daily, but it's natural and they consume it through food.
    I need advice because I don't want end up hurting my thyroid more than this. I know that some of you take 25mg and maybe more?? Advice please
    -----

Answer)
    Open Letter to Dr. Mercola
    By Gabriel Cousens, MD, MD(H), DD
    Edited by Nonnie Chrystal

Click here for PDF Version
    This message is too long to fit into our 2,000 character limit, so I will just post the highlights. We can read the entire letter in the PDF Link.
    I have great appreciation for the good information you bring to the public as well as for your stances in favor of labeling GMO foods in California and against vaccinations. However, recently you made a statement that the highest amount of daily iodine intake should be no more than 400 micrograms, and that surprised me. For the sake of higher public good, I would like to suggest a variety of scientific and holistic reasons for why a significantly higher amount of iodine should be used. What you recommend is only slightly higher than the FDA recommendation, which is 150 to 290 micrograms daily, dependent upon age,
    gender and life cycle. This is dramatically less than some of the leading iodine medical experts suggest, which is closer to, at least, 12 to 18 milligrams daily, which is approximately 45 times higher. Drs. Abraham and Brownstein, also
    experts, suggest 12-50 milligrams daily and up to 100 milligrams per day for diabetics. Why is there this discrepancy, and how is it that you, Dr. Mercola, in my opinion, have missed the mark exponentially on this issue, when you are
    often so correct in your understandings?

There is some marginally relevant data supporting your concerns about excess iodine; namely, that there may be a transient (26-40 hours) hypothyroidism as described by Dr. Brownstein in his book Iodine: Why You Need It. Why You Can't
    Live Without It. However, a one to two-day transient decrease in thyroid function is physiologically irrelevant and not a sign of hypothyroidism in the bigger holistic picture. There is also an increase in TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) with increased iodine, which may last up to six months. This, again, is not a sign of hypothyroidism. This is related to the fact that the whole body is deficient in iodine and TSH stimulates the production of sodium-iodide-symporter (NIS). Without adequate NIS, iodine could not enter the cells and be utilized. NIS is a carrier system into all the cells, and when this system becomes deficient then the whole body becomes deficient. The key is that people who increase their iodine intake do not have signs of hypothyroidism (such as fatigue, hair loss, headaches, weight gain, weakness, and dry skin) and they maintain normal T3 and T4 levels.

In 1911, 900 milligrams daily (900,000 micrograms/day!) were considered usual and safe doses.nNo one has ever died from iodine overdose or allergic reactions. It is safe to suggest that at least the guidelines given by Drs. Abraham and Brownstein for the use of 12-50 milligrams of iodine daily, for overall sufficiency and wellbeing, and up to 100 milligrams/day for diabetics is reasonable in doing much more for our health than to prevent cretinism, mental retardation, and goiter. Moreover, iodine is a universal health mineral having 22 major health and well-being benefits (see below) for humans, many of which are largely unknown to this day. My prudent suggestion is that as we follow these ideas, it is important to move forward carefully as we treat this pandemic level of 72% iodine deficiency in the world and a shocking 96% deficiency in Americans, affecting the minds of billions of people. I strongly recommend that people reevaluate the amounts of iodine people consume. I recommend that children under 6 years of age take half the adult dose, children 0-2 years take the adult dose, pregnant women take 47% more than the adult dose (current FDA ratio), and lactating women take 93% more than the adult dose (current FDA ratio), as iodine is very important for brain development, from a holistic perspective. In the larger humanitarian context the risk to benefit ratio of these recommended doses is extremely safe for healing
    the planetary population and ourselves. By looking at the overall holistic iodine story, we can create a fuller, more
    accurate understanding of this discussion. Iodine is found in every single one of our body's hundred trillion cells. Without adequate iodine levels life is impossible. Iodine is the universal health nutrient that brings health on many
    levels.

Iodine is found in every single one of our body's hundred trillion cells. Without adequate iodine levels life is impossible. Iodine is the universal health nutrient that brings health on many levels.

It is interesting to note, when addressing the question of safe dosage, that higher iodine levels have been used in studies since the early 1900's. For example, in 1917 through 1922, Dr. David Marine proved that iodine reversed goiter in a study in which 2,000 schoolgirls were given an equivalent of 18.6 milligrams daily (18,600 micrograms/day) for 2 years with a dramatic success rate.

In 2003 Dr. Zhang showed that potassium iodide reversed lung cancer tumors in mice.
    In 1993, Dr. Ghent administered to 1,368 patients 5 milligrams (5,000 micrograms) daily with no evidence of the Wolf-Chaikoff theoretical problem of hypothyroidism. This is almost 12 times more than your recommendation. This was
    done by Dr. Ghent, who, at this dosage, reversed fibro-cystic breast disease with great rates of healing. Iodine deficiency is not only associated with fibrocystic breast disease, but also higher rates of breast cancer.

In a most significant study called the Iodine Project, done from 1997 through 2005, Dr. Guy Abraham, Dr. David Brownstein, and Dr. Jorge Flechas followed 4,000 patients and administered 12.5 to 100 milligrams daily, with 100 milligrams administered to diabetics primarily, because low thyroid function is also associated with Type 2 diabetes. They had positive results with only three adverse reactions out of 4,000 people (possibly allergic reactions to the binding agents, excipients, fillers, preservatives and/or synthetics commonly found in tablets, capsules and even liquids as opposed to the bioavailable form of iodine itself). This research group theorized that because in Japan the average intake was 13.8 milligrams, and Japan had significantly less breast and prostate cancer and better health and longevity than in the US, that higher
    doses of iodine could be safely used. In this 7-year study, they observed reversed fibrocystic breast disease, decreased insulin requirements in diabetics, significantly less need for medication for hypothyroidism, resolution for fibromyalgia, and also resolution of migraine headaches. In the study by Dr. Abraham, et al, the iodine ranges were somewhere between 12.5 and 100 milligrams daily (up to 100,000 micrograms/day) and were considered safe dosages. This is exponentially greater than your recommendation.

From a worldwide perspective, the current level of iodine deficiency is pandemic. According to the more recent Dr. Abraham, et al, study cited, 96% of the US population is iodine deficient. Iodine deficiency is among the top two causes of mental retardation. Associated with this increased iodine deficiency is a 690% increase in cretinism, mental retardation, and ADHD in the last several decades.

From a larger physiological perspective, it is important to realize that the thyroid is only one gland of many glands and tissues that needs iodine.High iodine uptake are the breasts, ovaries, cervix, blood, lymph, bones, gastric mucosal, salivary, adrenal, prostate, colon, thymus, lungs, bladder, kidney, and skin. The thyroid holds 50 milligrams of iodine, the breasts hold 200 milligrams, the skin holds 400 milligrams of iodine, and the whole body holds 2,000 milligrams, and possibly much more. Iodine is found and used in every hormonal receptor in the body.

There are more than twenty-two functions of iodine. These important functions
    include:
    See the PDF File for the list of 22 vital functions

In summary, in 1911, 900 milligrams (900,000 micrograms/day!) were considered usual and safe dosage. It is safe to suggest that at least the guidelines given by Drs. Abraham and Brownstein for the use of 12-50 milligrams of iodine daily, for overall iodine sufficiency and wellbeing, and up to 100 milligrams/day for diabetics is reasonable

PDF Link to letter
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-22-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Whatyoudoing is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    I have just discovered that I have been iodine deficient for YEARS. Last week we had Seaweed Soup for 2 days, and the results were immediate. For many years I have had insomnia and that is one of the MANY symptoms of iodine deficiency. For the 1st time in years, I slept ALL NIGHT with vivid dreams. Never had dreams before!

So I ordered Norwegian Kelp tablets from Amazon and started taking 1 a day yesterday. Insomnia GONE again.

Now I am researching Iodine Deficiency with Google Searches, and I discover there is a Pandoras Box of sickness symptoms, including depression, asthma, tinnitus, inability to lose weight, even diabetes ! Dr Wm Davis recommends 500 Mcg to 1 mg dosage of iodine from seaweed supplements per day. (Please read his warnings).

Just look at this link for symptoms of Iodine Deficiency:

I also discovered a Skin Test for Iodine Deficiency:

Warnings: The thyroid is a vital organ, and if you suffer hyperthyroid, hashimotos, or other thyroid disease, seaweed or iodine supplements could make your condition worse. Proceed with extreme caution under a doctors care. For the rest of us that are simply more or less deficient, natural seaweed supplements could offer a cure for some conditions mentioned above. I suffer from Asthma, and that is also a symptom of iodine deficiency, so fingers crossed!

Also THIS: Every organ & cell in the body has iodine receptors, and it may take months or years to restore a healthy level of iodine in the body.

One last thing, my Multi-Vitamin include 150 mcg of Iodine. Clearly not enough. And Dr. Davis agrees:

I will start the skin test this week and report back on its effectiveness.

EDIT 2/29/12
    IMPORTANT ! Read this bible on iodine carefully and Print it out.
    Each mg of iodine taken in will detox some toxins into our blood stream. If more toxins get into our blood stream than the liver & kidneys can handle, we WILL see detox symptoms such as headache, pimples, bloat, and MORE !
    Required supplements to help with detox:
    Selenium (200mcg) or 2-Brazil Nuts
    400 mg magnesium glycinate (or citrate) (not magnesium oxide )
    Vitamin C - 3,000 mg
    vitamins ATP Cofactors by Optimox (which contain B2 & B3 in the proper amounts)
    Unrefined Celtic Sea Salt tsp (NOT table salt !)
    Ref) Iodine Therapy Guidelines
    http://home.comcast.net/~jocy1/junk/...h%20Iodine.pdf
    Start dosage SMALL and Titrate dosage up VERY slooowly and do not rush this process. Haste makes waste.
    We are finding that NEARLY EVERYONE IS IN THIS GROUP HAS TOXIC SYMPTOMS ! GO SLOW !
    Slow defined-Get 2% Lugols from Amazon.Com

* To avoid detox symptoms, start with 1 drop diluted in a 10 ounce glass of water - drink 2 ounces each day for 1 week
    * Week 2 = 4 ounces
    * Week 3 = 6 ounces
    * each week titrate up until 1 glass daily.
    * Go back to smaller dose if ANY detox symptoms appear.
    It can 6 months and longer to SAFELY detox all the toxins built up in your body over our lifetime. [COLOR="#FF0000"]GO SLOOOOW & titrate dosage up VERY SLOWLY to minimize iodine detox stmptoms.

Please see Iodine References before you start taking iodine This new document replaces reading this whole thread

THIS COULD BE YOU IF YOU TAKE TOO MUCH IODINE TOO SOON:

Photo of Bromide Detox from excessive bromide toxins being released into the bloodstream.
    Start with less than 1mg Lugols iodine and titrate SLOOOWLY over a 6 month period.
    ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR OR LICENSED HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL.

Edit 4/28/12
    We continue learning vital information about iodine, everything is documented in our Iodine References. Here is a very important note for all. The many years of being severely iodine deficient may have damaged our thyroid and it may be necessary to take thyroid hormones to clear up symptoms of hypo/hyper thyroidism while our thyroid attempts to heal. Choosing a doctor for help: See this link, chapter "Concerning Doctors"
    Site Map | Stop The Thyroid Madness

Grizz
    I'm currently doing the test, however I just used the iodine I had in the house. So called "povidone-iodine" it's actually meant to clean wounds. Is this a suitable iodine?

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smgj View Post
    I've only done one - and it was a flat mole, not a raised one. It's nearly completely off now. I've not counted days, but I believe I used a month. In the beginning I used only lugols, but I started with alternating lugol's and iodine tinkture after about 2 weeks?
    I just put a tiny drop on top of the mole and let it dry - about 3-4 times a day. The scab comes off in bits, not all at once.
    Thank you! This morning, I think I saw some progress. At the moment, I'm trying iodine on four moles: the two little toe moles, one raised flesh-color mole, and a slightly raised brown mole on my hip. I'm having no luck with the toe moles, but maybe I saw something with the hip mole. The other day the iodine burned a square of skin -- the skins that was under the band-aid -- around the hip mole. The burned skin turns sort of brown, then crinkles up like a scab, and then peels off in a sheet. I know; it's a gross visual. This morning, I peeled off the crinkled skin with tweezers. The portion of skin that was the mole peeled off as a darker color than the other burned skin. It looks like I peeled off the top layer of mole(?), or maybe it was extra iodine? I was not expecting this; in fact I was a little frightened. (an even grosser visual: I took a picture of the piece of skin.)

Meanwhile, the flesh-color mole is drying out and turning a little scabby. I thought I had peeled off a layer of that mole too, but I can't really tell. I don't know if I am affecting the actual mole, or whether the mole is just thick skin and I'm just burning and healing the mole-ish skin.

Last night I made a spot-bandaid with adhesive tape -- I used 3M Nexcare Flexible Clear tape -- and white gauze. I cut a 3mm x 3mm square of gauze, scrunched it into a tiny ball and stuck it on the tape, like a band-aid with a really small pad.

I dropped the Lugol's on the gauze spot and taped it directly over the mole. I really like this method. The tape is easier to work with than the band-aid, and the iodine stays directly on the mole and doesn't irritate the skin around it. I think that two spot-band-aids a day is enough for me because my skin is still inflamed.

I'm going to keep going with this to see how iodine works on the two moles. If they peel off, then I will try a couple more moles.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatyoudoing View Post
    I'm currently doing the test, however I just used the iodine I had in the house. So called "povidone-iodine" it's actually meant to clean wounds. Is this a suitable iodine?
    Providone is suitable for external use only. DO NOT use it internally. It is certainly suitable for the skin patch test, however, Lugols iodine is a better choice for both external painting and internal use.

Welcome to our group.

Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Thank you! This morning, I think I saw some progress. At the moment, I'm trying iodine on four moles: the two little toe moles, one raised flesh-color mole, and a slightly raised brown mole on my hip. I'm having no luck with the toe moles, but maybe I saw something with the hip mole. The other day the iodine burned a square of skin -- the skins that was under the band-aid -- around the hip mole. The burned skin turns sort of brown, then crinkles up like a scab, and then peels off in a sheet. I know; it's a gross visual. This morning, I peeled off the crinkled skin with tweezers. The portion of skin that was the mole peeled off as a darker color than the other burned skin. It looks like I peeled off the top layer of mole(?), or maybe it was extra iodine? I was not expecting this; in fact I was a little frightened. (an even grosser visual: I took a picture of the piece of skin.)

Meanwhile, the flesh-color mole is drying out and turning a little scabby. I thought I had peeled off a layer of that mole too, but I can't really tell. I don't know if I am affecting the actual mole, or whether the mole is just thick skin and I'm just burning and healing the mole-ish skin.

Last night I made a spot-bandaid with adhesive tape -- I used 3M Nexcare Flexible Clear tape -- and white gauze. I cut a 3mm x 3mm square of gauze, scrunched it into a tiny ball and stuck it on the tape, like a band-aid with a really small pad.

I dropped the Lugol's on the gauze spot and taped it directly over the mole. I really like this method. The tape is easier to work with than the band-aid, and the iodine stays directly on the mole and doesn't irritate the skin around it. I think that two spot-band-aids a day is enough for me because my skin is still inflamed.

I'm going to keep going with this to see how iodine works on the two moles. If they peel off, then I will try a couple more moles.
    Oxide,

I suggest you rub Grapeseed oil over your skin that was damaged by iodine. I like your idea of a spot band-aid.

Grizz

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if it's been discussed already, but my science teacher told me that omega 6 oils interfere with thyroid signaling. So when eating primal (avoiding these oils) you need a smaller amount of iodine than the average american
    Billie trips balls

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I don't know if it's been discussed already, but my science teacher told me that omega 6 oils interfere with thyroid signaling. So when eating primal (avoiding these oils) you need a smaller amount of iodine than the average american
    I'm sure your science teacher means well and has the best of intentions. Everyone with bad advice means well and with the best of intentions. The thyroid & iodine is the most controversial subject ever found, and bad information is everywhere. See these links:
    Iodine Deficiency - An Under-Recognized Epidemic
    Letter to Dr. Mercola for saying iodine causes hypothyroidism at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1954868)

The nationwide problem we are having is a severe iodine deficiency caused by halogen chemicals displacing what little iodine we have. We live in a sea of these toxins found in our water, food, soda pop, beer, toothpaste, makeup, crop insect sprays. Things like Bromide, Fluoride, chlorine.
    http://www.freegrab.net/Iodine%20update.htm#section18
    Thyroids, breasts, ovaries, prostate, brain & uterus which require iodine do not function properly with toxic chemicals. Swelling, cysts & cancers are the natural result.

Please study the many doctor reports found here:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Bottom line, this subject is simple. Iodine with required supplements are essential to our health. The Iodine Doctors have proven that 12 to 50mg are required to overcome the Halide toxins found in our modern life.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-22-2012 at 01:46 PM.

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mom5booklover View Post
    Hey Oxide,
    I just found this site on a guy who removed several moles with iodine and took picutres. He scratchedthe mole first to get the iodine inside it. His were gone in 15 days it looks like.
    Hands-On: Removing Moles with Iodine Part 2

Very interesting. I still haven't had the time or patience to try it yet but I am now more determined.
    Hey Oxide,
    Not sure if you saw this when I posted the other day. I would stop using the ACV since it is burning your skin so bad. I use it on my face every night and have not had this kind of burn so maybe you are a little more sensitive than me or my daughter. It is like a natural form of retinol A which can burn for some people. You might try the technique on this site for removal of your moles. Sorry I couldn't help. I wish you luck though.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals