Page 303 of 415 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353403 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,030 of 4146

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 303

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyLuna View Post
    There are doctors, for example Dr. Brownstein, who treat Hashimoto's with iodine, as they feel that this autoimmune disease is caused by an iodine deficiency. However, if you do not suffer from FBD, and you obtain adequate amounts of iodine from dietary sources--then I would agree with you. I have suffered tremendously from FBD, which has gone into remission since I have been supplementing with Iodoral. I do not feel comfortable obtaining my iodine from kelp or other seaweed, due to my opinion that contamination is rampant. I also feel that I do not consume enough fish to adequately meet my iodine needs. So for me--Iodoral has been a wonderful, wonderful find.
    Dr. Brownstein is selling his supplements and books.

This article is less biased : Hypothyroidism Iodine Warning: It May Make You Worse!

The hype about "contaminated" sea food and veggies is also brought to you by the people who want you to buy their "pure" supplements. Follow the money.

That said, I am very glad you are feeling better.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulWarrior View Post
    I was asking for my wife. We were talking about iodine, and she stated, if anything she is hyper, not hypo...she had bloodwork done about 10 years ago, and the homeopath said she was normal, but closer to hyper at that point.

We dont ever go see MD's. We use modern medicine only for emergency intervention, so no she has not been checked.

She is a normal healthy woman, but was just concerned that she shouldnt take iodine because it could push her towards being hyper...I didnt have a response to that as I dont know much about it.

Thanks for your time, and for your help.
    If you are concerned about hyperthyroid in your wife, it would be a good idea to start measeruing and charting her Basal Body Temperature and monitor her symptoms. Basal body temp is measured before she gets out of bed in the morning. See this link for details
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post844257

10 years is a long time, and a lot could have changed in that time.
    Here is a nice review of hyperthyroid.
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-20-2012 at 01:44 PM.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Not much luck with the moles so far. I've tried mom5booklover's band-aid method and succeeded only in burning my skin. Too much iodine at once, I think. I do better with simply dropping it on.

It's fun to read about iodine curing sexual disorders, but I have depression and I don't think iodine helps with that.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Dr. Brownstein is selling his supplements and books.

This article is less biased : Hypothyroidism Iodine Warning: It May Make You Worse!

The hype about "contaminated" sea food and veggies is also brought to you by the people who want you to buy their "pure" supplements. Follow the money.

That said, I am very glad you are feeling better.
    Even though iodine is a very important nutrient for thyroid function, and even though iodine deficiencies are very common across the country, iodine containing supplements can actually trigger a Hashimoto’s response.
    Bottom line is that iodine is a very important supplement for many people but it is contraindicated in Hashimoto’s because it triggers the immune attack. This is a point of frustration for many Hashimoto’s patients.
    Sorry, but your "Expert" is dead wrong and VERY biased. He obviously knows nothing about the required supplement selenium.

Here is what Dr. Dach Says:
    In order to prevent the thyroid storm and other adverse effects from iodine in Hashimoto's patients, as you know, these patients must be supplemented with selenium first. This is why we first routinely draw a serum selenium, and for those cases below 135 ng/ml, we give 200-400 meg of selenomethionune for three weeks before starting the iodine supplementation at 6.25 mg (half the 12.5 mg tab) every other day.

Starting with a lower dose of iodine avoids the various adverse effects of skin itching and metallic taste and GI symptoms that can be reported at first. These are usually transient, and after a week or so, the dose can be safely increased to a full tablet daily.

Occasionally, we see a typical Hashimoto's patient with an elevated TSH around 5 or 6, and also an upper range free T3 around 350 to 400. These patients respond to selenium supplementation well, and follow-up labs usually show free T3 coming down to the 280-300 level, which in retrospect indicates the patient initially exhibited a slight thyrotoxic effect of the Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which then cooled down after the selenium. At this point it is safe to start the iodoral. If a Hashi's patient with a slightly overfunctioning thyroid and coexisting low selenium level is then started on iodine without first optimizing the selenium level, this will aggravate the thyroiditis, and possibly throw the patient into thyroid storm.
    Jeffrey Dach MD Bio-Identical Hormone Blog: Iodine is Safe and Effective by Jeffrey Dach MD
    This is exactly why Dr. Brownstein requires the following supplements when taking iodine:
    - - tsp Natural Celtic Salt, Himalayan Pink Salt, Redmonds Salt or Hawaiin black salt
    - - - If the sea salt is pure white, it is unacceptable (minerals have been stripped out )
    - - 200 mcg selenium (L-selenomethionine preferred)
    - - 400 mcg Magnesium - Glycinate preferred
    - - 2,000mg Vitamin C - Ester-C preferred
    - - ATP Cofactors - contains 100mg B2 & 500mg B3 non-flushing in the correct ratio

If you came here to bad mouth & belittle Dr. Brownstein, you came to the wrong place. Thank GOD he wrote his book and thank GOD he and his partners are helping the world with Pure Lugols iodine, Pure iodoral iodine. I suggest you read his book instead of belittling it. Title Iodine why you need it & why you can't live without it. After you've read his book, I will listen to what you have to say. Do you HATE it that Dr. Brownstein is selling his books & his supplements? There is just NO WAY I would be eating your contaminated fish & seaweed. You and I can just agree to disagree on this subject. I will never be supplementing with seafoods & you will never be supplementing with iodine, so lets just leave it at that.

I have more articles about the required selenium here

Grizz

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    You and I can just agree to disagree on this subject. I will never be supplementing with seafoods & you will never be supplementing with iodine, so lets just leave it at that.
    No problem. I will agree to never set keyboard on this thread again if you agree to stop jumping into all the other threads where people have real complex medical issues like cancer and telling them to dump their real doctors in favor of painting iodine on their testicles.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    I just wanted to pop in and give an update, as it's been a little while. I'm currently up to 5.5 mgs of iodine daily. By the beginning of next week, I'll be able to take 1 drop of 5% Lugol's a day, which is an exciting milestone for me! Going this slowly has allowed me to be virtually free of detox symptoms. No more pimples or broderma or bloating, woo hoo!
    The sense of happiness and well being that I was experiencing when I last posted has not diminished! I wake up feeling refreshed and just generally happy every day. Considering that I spent a good 6-8 months feeling hopeless and lost prior to this, I couldn't be more thrilled w/the way that things have turned around. I feel GOOD again. I no longer feel that I'm suffering from adrenal fatigue. I have my one cup of coffee in the morning, mostly because I really enjoy it, and I'm good to go all day long.
    I can't claim that all of this is because of iodine, as I've been doing other things as well for my health. But I do know that in the first few days of my taking iodine, even though I started off WAY too high, I got a sense of well being that I hadn't felt in a long time. And I was not doing anything else to detox, etc. at the time.

I am continuing to use chlorella and cilantro oil to properly detox mercury from having my silver fillings out. I also use my Earthing mat as much as possible and have just ordered the fitted sheet. I started taking Maca almost a month ago as I read it helps to naturally balance hormones. About 2 weeks ago I increased the amount that I'm taking. It might just be wishful thinking, but it seems that my hyperpigmentation is beginning to lighten! And that was the reason I began taking Maca. It tastes wonderful (love it in coffee and tea), and makes me feel good.
    I have been on an anti-candida diet for about 2 1/2 weeks and have lost 6 pounds! I feel better in my clothes and in my body in general. It seems that I digest food much better now - I can eat a large meal and feel satiated without feeling FULL, and don't get any post-meal bloat like I always used to.
    The fluoride filter is in and I have just ordered a 64 oz. non-BPA jug from Amazon to transport my non-fluoridated water from home to work.

My internal compass is telling me that I am on the right track. I'm seeing improvements in both body and mind. Though I am doing all of these other things for my health, I know that the iodine is playing a huge role.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    I just wanted to pop in and give an update, as it's been a little while. I'm currently up to 5.5 mgs of iodine daily. By the beginning of next week, I'll be able to take 1 drop of 5% Lugol's a day, which is an exciting milestone for me! Going this slowly has allowed me to be virtually free of detox symptoms. No more pimples or broderma or bloating, woo hoo!
    The sense of happiness and well being that I was experiencing when I last posted has not diminished! I wake up feeling refreshed and just generally happy every day. Considering that I spent a good 6-8 months feeling hopeless and lost prior to this, I couldn't be more thrilled w/the way that things have turned around. I feel GOOD again. I no longer feel that I'm suffering from adrenal fatigue. I have my one cup of coffee in the morning, mostly because I really enjoy it, and I'm good to go all day long.
    I can't claim that all of this is because of iodine, as I've been doing other things as well for my health. But I do know that in the first few days of my taking iodine, even though I started off WAY too high, I got a sense of well being that I hadn't felt in a long time. And I was not doing anything else to detox, etc. at the time.

I am continuing to use chlorella and cilantro oil to properly detox mercury from having my silver fillings out. I also use my Earthing mat as much as possible and have just ordered the fitted sheet. I started taking Maca almost a month ago as I read it helps to naturally balance hormones. About 2 weeks ago I increased the amount that I'm taking. It might just be wishful thinking, but it seems that my hyperpigmentation is beginning to lighten! And that was the reason I began taking Maca. It tastes wonderful (love it in coffee and tea), and makes me feel good.
    I have been on an anti-candida diet for about 2 1/2 weeks and have lost 6 pounds! I feel better in my clothes and in my body in general. It seems that I digest food much better now - I can eat a large meal and feel satiated without feeling FULL, and don't get any post-meal bloat like I always used to.
    The fluoride filter is in and I have just ordered a 64 oz. non-BPA jug from Amazon to transport my non-fluoridated water from home to work.

My internal compass is telling me that I am on the right track. I'm seeing improvements in both body and mind. Though I am doing all of these other things for my health, I know that the iodine is playing a huge role.
    HappyPaleoGirl,

This is such WONDERFUL news ! We are all so thrilled for your recovery. What a wonderful beginning to the rest of your life.

Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    No problem. I will agree to never set keyboard on this thread again if you agree to stop jumping into all the other threads where people have real complex medical issues like cancer and telling them to dump their real doctors in favor of painting iodine on their testicles.
    PaleoBird,
    Sorry to say, but you are simply being outrageous. You are lying - It is YOU who brought up the subject of painting testicles in your thread.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post873859

You are lying again because I never told anyone to dump their doctors. Your thread under discussion was NOT about cancer, it was about thyroid problems:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post871969

Furthermore, you are very welcome in this thread. Everyone is welcome in this thread. The lively discussions we will have will be educational for all. You and I are at polar opposites.
    You promote CW Doctors & I promote Iodine Doctors
    You promote seafood & seaweed for iodine & I help to promote the Dr. Brownstein Protocol using pure lugols + pure iodoral with required supplements.

Who do you think you are? The Police for Marks Daily Apple? No I will NOT stop posting messages. I am on a mission to promote iodine supplements for good health using the Dr. Brownstein Protocol.

Do you have any questions we can answer for you? Are you familiar with iodine detoxing Halide toxins out of our bodies? Halide toxins have taken over most of the cells in our body, and the only thing that will remove these toxins is iodine, and this takes more iodine than you can get from fish & seaweed. The main halide toxins are Bromide in foods, Fluoride in water and chlorine in water + drugs. Would you like to see references to this? These toxins are causing the nationwide iodine shortage leading to thyroid problems, fibrocystic breasts, PCOS, cysts. When we eliminate all of these toxins form our body, our health begins improving.
    http://www.freegrab.net/Iodine%20update.htm#section18

Please see HappyPaleoGirls wonderful message, above. Woops, thats right, you dismiss such messages offhand because they are not scientifically proven. You might dismiss her message because it is anecdotal, but we don't.
    You totally dismissed Misty's AMAZING progress beating 27 years of fibrocystic Breast Disease as being totally meaningless anecdotal!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post873714
    Tell that to Misty. Tell her that beating 27 years of FBS is MEANINGLESS, please do. I would love to see what she says to you.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-20-2012 at 08:11 PM.

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member
    After reading your last reply to Paleobird, I suddenly have an overwhelming desire to paint my hubby's testicles! You truly are an inspiration, Grizz!!! As for me, I am still at 100 mg's of Iodoral. I think I will start to slowly back down to 50 mg's and stay there for maintenance. I also feel a sense of well-being since starting the Iodoral. I don't have medical insurance so I am extra careful to take good care of myself. I can't afford to get cancer or have a hysterectomy but I can afford to invest in myself by using supplements including Iodoral or Lugols. After reading how many different health issues are caused by iodine deficiency, this is a no-brainer for me to supplement with it. CW doctors are so clueless about health. Why would they even bother learning about Iodine and then bother to tell me about it if it meant they'd lose a $25,000 operation or $200,000 cancer treatment Iodine would prevent? You're right, Grizz...follow the money. And for any newcomers here, I was already trying an iodine saturation protocol before finding this thread. My hubby did some research about 6 or 7 years ago and recommended I try it for my thyroid issues. But I didn't get good results until I found this thread and changed how I was doing it. And I have the Brownstein Iodine book now too.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Grizz, please, calm the eff down.

Do not tell me I'm lying. Tell me you have never given advice about testicle painting on this thread. Tell me you did not tell someone who's mother was undergoing chemo to STOP treatment IMMEDIATELY and substitute iodine. No, you can't. Not without lying.

No, I am not the MDA police and don't want to be, however, if I can be the voice of reason to keep someone from doing themselves grave physical harm, I will do that.

And I told Misty that I was very glad she was feeling better. I'm also glad she didn't hurt herself due to reckless use of iodine.

One more time. I am not anti-iodine. I am anti self-diagnosis and self-experimentation with a potentially hazardous substance based on vague internet "wisdom".

If you really have a deficiency, I don't care how you treat it. My personal choice is for natural sources of nutrition, not pills, in all things, not just iodine. But I don't care what someone else takes. I do care that they make sure that they really have a deficiency first instead of going off half cocked based on some blog.

Too little iodine is bad for your health but so is too much. Why do you have a problem with that? It's medical fact.