Page 3 of 415 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 3

weird fish is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think that for your iodine intake to be safe you also need adequate selenium.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weird fish View Post
    I think that for your iodine intake to be safe you also need adequate selenium.
    Also found in whole kelp products (and lots of other lovely nutrients)... Nom!
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-20-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

kiss is offline Senior Member
    I took Lugols as well as selenium and magnesium and my thyroid became swollen and bulgy. I read that was caused because the thyroid was trying to suck in as much iodine as possible. I dunno. I stopped taking it shortly after the swelling. It went down but it's not gone. I'm going to eventually go get my thyroid tested. I used to take Synthroid but stopped a couple of years ago. I have a thread about finding a doctor in odds and ends about that.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

BananaLeaf is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss View Post
    I took Lugols as well as selenium and magnesium and my thyroid became swollen and bulgy. I read that was caused because the thyroid was trying to suck in as much iodine as possible. I dunno. I stopped taking it shortly after the swelling. It went down but it's not gone. I'm going to eventually go get my thyroid tested. I used to take Synthroid but stopped a couple of years ago. I have a thread about finding a doctor in odds and ends about that.
    I had a similar experience while taking 1 tablet (12.5mg) of Iodoral. I got a full feeling in the front of my neck and a lump every time I swallowed. I became terrified that the iodine was damaging my thyroid and I stopped taking it. The lumpy feeling went away. I read Dr. Brownstein's book and I do feel that iodine is important, but I really don't know how to proceed given the way it affected me. I certainly do not want to damage my thyroid.

patski is offline Senior Member
    DUDE. My hands and feet are always cold! I'm even wearing fingerless gloves as I type this!

Can tincture of iodine be found anywhere? Any drug store? Or a naturopathic one?

Sometimes I get so confused around here...
    I thought that going Paleo/PB was about getting the nutrition we need as naturally as possible. Why all the rush towards pills, tinctures, and such?

Seaweed/Kelp products are nutritious and have many benefits including iodine, other micro-nutrients, minerals... etc.
    Why not try adding several servings a week to your diet... then seeing if you still need supplementation.

WHFoods: Sea vegetables

I supplement potassium orally as necessary, as well as consuming potassium rich foods. I need this because potassium depletion is a very significant side effect of a prescription medication I have to take as there is no alternative. Though I do hope that through Paleo/PB I will be able to get away from this medication.
    I also take D3 because I have tested low for it. I hope to get away from this as well.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

patski is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you, Cori. I hate taking supplements, but I think we all get a little lazy, and it's easy to pop a pill or two here or there.

Mark has even said a good quality multi-vitamin is a good idea.

I'm going to see how much I can get kelp chips for at a local Asian market. Hopefully they're not full of CRAP!

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I'm with you, Cori. I hate taking supplements, but I think we all get a little lazy, and it's easy to pop a pill or two here or there.

Mark has even said a good quality multi-vitamin is a good idea.

I'm going to see how much I can get kelp chips for at a local Asian market. Hopefully they're not full of CRAP!
    Get a bag of dried wakame or feru wakame, arame, hijiki, or hair vegetable/seaweed (aka black moss)... I most often get the kind that is chopped and looks kind of like whole leaf tea (wakame and hijiki). Sometimes the long noodly looking ones. I'm game to try any of it. A handful will expand to an amount you won't believe! LOL

Don't think of the price (maybe $5-10 for a 50gm bag) as what you are purchasing... a Tbs dried will easily equal at least a half a cup of re-hydrated kelp. It quadruples in size!
    It's really mild and goes well with most anything once yu get used to the texture, but my favorite is to toss it in some broth, and add shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic if it's a meal, sliced green onions on top... NOM!
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone tried foraging for seaweed? A bag of Dulse costs a lot of money and there's a whole ocean of seaweed out there. I live on the coast in Southern California. I can take a walk on the beach every day. There's TONS of seaweed washed ashore all the time. I once had a Japanese exchange student living with me and she took a walk on the beach with me one day and pointed to all the different kinds of seaweed. That one's good, that one's really good. She even knew the names in Japanese for them all. You can't go wrong with kelp. It's all edible. The ocean is clean where I live. So I've been thinking about foraging my own seaweed. Has anyone tried this and had success?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiss View Post
    That could indicate an autoimmune attack on your thyroid. It's so common for autoimmune thyroid disease (which comprises 90% of hypothyroidism in the US) to go undiagnosed or untreated. When it does get diagnosed, it's nearly never adequately or properly treated (which totally sucks!)
    Have you checked out New Book on Hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's by Datis Kharrazian, DHSc, DC, MS ? That book will tell you which tests you need, as well as what lab ranges should be used to interpret the results.

Page 3 of 415 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast