Page 295 of 415 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345395 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 295

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Last time I went to my doc, my fT3 was at the bottom of the range, my T4 was at the top, and my TSH was sky-high. He wants to wait and see one more go-round, but if my labs come back like that again I'm going to talk to him about adding T3 to my dosage or switching away from T4 entirely, in favor of a whole thyroid or T3 med.

I mention this because I want to thank all you veterans of this thread for directing me to STTM, so that I would understand what was going on. I'm glad that I have the knowledge to be proactive about my treatment rather than having to just go along with it when my doctor continues to increase my already high dose in order to try to bring my TSH down.

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    All of this talk about female temperature reminds me of the tour we just completed at the Tennessee Amish Farms.

The Amish live life as people did 150 yrs ago. No birth control and with large families. We visited several farms with > 12 children. Midwives deliver the babies. Women there are either nursing or pregnant, or both nursing AND pregnant.

They still use the 1 room school houses, where young girls teach grades 1 through 8. After grade 8 it is off to the field to WORK. Between graduation & marriage, young ladies teach school. They cook on wood stoves, no TV, no computers, no telephones, no electricity. There is 1 shared telephone in each square mile of land. Washing machines? Old fashioned wringer washers powered by a diesel engine with driveshaft & pulleys.

Very interesting how they power their saws & drills for woodworkig. They are allowed to use diesel or gasoline engines to power belts & pulleys to spin the drills & saw blades. They are not allowed to use gasoline powered generators to create electricity to power anything.

Grizz
    Thanks for sharing that, Grizz! Seems so foreign, yet if we were alive 150 years ago that's where we'd be. I think having 12 kids would have killed me though. That's the beauty of modern medicine. In fact my first would have killed me, since she was a full footling breech.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz
    All of this talk about female temperature reminds me of the tour we just completed at the Tennessee Amish Farms.

The Amish live life as people did 150 yrs ago. No birth control and with large families. We visited several farms with > 12 children. Midwives deliver the babies. Women there are either nursing or pregnant, or both nursing AND pregnant.

They still use the 1 room school houses, where young girls teach grades 1 through 8. After grade 8 it is off to the field to WORK. Between graduation & marriage, young ladies teach school. They cook on wood stoves, no TV, no computers, no telephones, no electricity. There is 1 shared telephone in each square mile of land. Washing machines? Old fashioned wringer washers powered by a diesel engine with driveshaft & pulleys.

Very interesting how they power their saws & drills for woodworkig. They are allowed to use diesel or gasoline engines to power belts & pulleys to spin the drills & saw blades. They are not allowed to use gasoline powered generators to create electricity to power anything.
    Grizz

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Thanks for sharing that, Grizz! Seems so foreign, yet if we were alive 150 years ago that's where we'd be. I think having 12 kids would have killed me though. That's the beauty of modern medicine. In fact my first would have killed me, since she was a full footling breech.
    The Amish living with no electricity sort of flies over our heads. This is a hard concept to grasp. This means no refrigeration, no vacume cleaners, no radio, tv, stereo, no plumbing, no running water, no flush toilets. We lived through 5 days without electricity in the aftermath of a hurricane in Florida. These 5 days were torture. No water from the well pump, no gasoline at local gas stations, nearly everything we do is based on electricity and yet the Amish embrace this life.

If and when that rumored BIG Solar Storm permanently wipes out the entire national power grid, and civilization as we know it crashes, the Amish would not know or care. Amish colonies around the USA would survive without missing a heartbeat. The rest of us?

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-16-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Speaking of unlikely events.... The use of Halides just seems to be too pervasive, so I have to ask, Is there a National Conspiracy to deplete our iodine? If so, why & who?

Or is the use of Halide chemicals in everything from water, to food & drugs just an accident of happenstance? Why are the Iodine Doctors being ignored by CW? Why is there NO NEWS on the National Iodine Deficiency Epidemic on TV, magazines & newspapers? Is the subject censored? Why are doctors so ignorant of iodine? Something seems to be VERY wrong & sinister, but I can't seem to fit the puzzle together. Has anyone else thought about this?

Just one statistic that we know of - 80% of American women suffer various stages of Fibrocystic Breast Disease caused by iodine deficiency should be headline news & a National Emergency. The FDA & CDC should have major programs in place to treat this condition with more iodine, maybe put iodine back into bread as it used to be prior to 1980. This entire subject of iodine deficiency is just too outrageous to be logical. We can put men in space but cannot do anything about the iodine deficiency? Something is very wrong here.

Just thinking out loud,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-16-2012 at 03:12 AM.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Grizz

The Amish living with no electricity sort of flies over our heads. This is a hard concept to grasp. This means no refrigeration, no vacume cleaners, no radio, tv, stereo.
    Grizz
    Not for me
    Growing up there were several years where we dident have electricity and we had to go fetch water from the well by hand (Think rope & bucket) for almost one of those years we lived in a tent. (this was in Canada...snow anyone?) We never had a TV until I was in my late teen (& im not that old) I always think its funny when we have a power outage and everyone else freaks out cause they cant text their buddys or watch eastenders...
    I suspect thats part of the reason I dident have much detox symptoms because I would have had very little exsposure to toxins until my teens onward when we moved to Florida (and even then, less than average due to a better diet than average & no vaccines etc)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

smgj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    Last time I went to my doc, my fT3 was at the bottom of the range, my T4 was at the top, and my TSH was sky-high. He wants to wait and see one more go-round, but if my labs come back like that again I'm going to talk to him about adding T3 to my dosage or switching away from T4 entirely, in favor of a whole thyroid or T3 med.

I mention this because I want to thank all you veterans of this thread for directing me to STTM, so that I would understand what was going on. I'm glad that I have the knowledge to be proactive about my treatment rather than having to just go along with it when my doctor continues to increase my already high dose in order to try to bring my TSH down.
    Iodine + selenium may be what you need to get out of this.

If not – here are some areas that you may want to explore:
    You may be a poor converter or your problem may lie at the cellular level. I would advise optimizing ferritin, b12, magnesium, zinc and vitamin D + have a look at the b2/b3 vitamins suggested in this thread as they are helping at the cellular level. Do also get a liver enzyme test as the liver is doing quite a lot of the conversion. Magnesium is poorly measured in blood. Physical symptoms are a better way of determining the need. For measuring zinc, the taste-test (zinc tally) is considered accurate.

Stop eating gluten (if you have not already). The anti-nutrients make minerals leak out of our bodies. (Iron, selenium, zinc and others)

About 20% of t3 is converted from t4 by beneficial GI bacteria. So if you have issues you may greatly benefit from working on that area. You would probably benefit from those steps no matter which medicine you use, but since you don't have to convert all by yourself on desiccated many feel better on that. (I, among others.)
    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Not for me
    Growing up there were several years where we dident have electricity and we had to go fetch water from the well by hand (Think rope & bucket) for almost one of those years we lived in a tent. (this was in Canada...snow anyone?) We never had a TV until I was in my late teen (& im not that old) I always think its funny when we have a power outage and everyone else freaks out cause they cant text their buddys or watch eastenders...
    I suspect thats part of the reason I dident have much detox symptoms because I would have had very little exsposure to toxins until my teens onward when we moved to Florida (and even then, less than average due to a better diet than average & no vaccines etc)
    WOW those are tough conditions to live in. What did you do for a bath? Without a shower, & with no running water, taking a bath must have been a rare event? We are so used to modern life that it is hard to imagine how things used to be.

Grizz

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    WOW those are tough conditions to live in. What did you do for a bath? Without a shower, & with no running water, taking a bath must have been a rare event? We are so used to modern life that it is hard to imagine how things used to be.

Grizz
    To be honest never really thought much of it, it was just the way it was.. anyways I was a kid with 100's of acres of forest, mountains & swamp to run wild in LOL...
    Baths wernt that rare, we had a metal tub that got filled with water & just heated some over the fire..
    Probably why im such a good camp cook cause we cooked over a fire for a lot of that time to, my parents had bought a bit of land but no house on it so we lived in the tent while my dad was building the house.. This would have been in the 1980's
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Grizz is offline Banned
    Here is a very nice iodine report by Dr. Miller, "Iodine for Health."
    More than 4,000 patients in this project take iodine in daily doses ranging from 12.5 to 50 mg, and in those with diabetes, up to 100 mg a day. These investigators have found that iodine does indeed reverse fibrocystic disease; their diabetic patients require less insulin; hypothyroid patients, less thyroid medication; symptoms of fibromyalgia resolve, and patients with migraine headaches stop having them. To paraphrase Dr. Szent-Györgi, these investigators aren't sure how iodine does it, but it does something good.

Today's medical establishment is wary of iodine (as they are of most naturally occurring, nonpatentable, nonpharmaceutical agents). Thyroidologists cite the Wolff-Chaikoff effect and warn that TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) blood levels can rise with an iodine intake of a milligram or more. The Wolff-Chaikoff effect, a temporary inhibition of thyroid hormone synthesis that supposedly occurs with increased iodine intake, is of no clinical significance. And an elevated TSH, when it occurs, is "subclinical." This means that no signs or symptoms of hypothyroidism accompany its rise. Some people taking milligram doses of iodine, usually more than 50 mg a day, develop mild swelling of the thyroid gland without symptoms. The vast majority of people, 98 to 99 percent, can take iodine in doses ranging from 10 to 200 mg a day without any clinically adverse affects on thyroid function.
    Iodine for Health by Donald W. Miller, Jr., MD
    PS)
    I bumped my iodine dosage up to 100mg daily after 2 months at 50mg to get into the final detox phase. YAY! I finally made it into "Final Detox." Now the question is how long should I stay here? This also means doubling the ATP Cofactors from 1 to 2 daily. The rule of thumb from Optomox is 1-ATP Cofactor tablet for each 50mg iodoral.

Day 3 Report: I noticed an immediate impact on my sleeping patterns. I am once again sleeping like I did as a teenager. HEAVY, DEEP sleep by late morning. Sleep so deep that I have trouble getting up. I also notice the palms of my hands are pinker than normal. Especially when getting up in the morning. Does this mean better blood flow? I have not noticed any detox symptoms at 100mg yet.

FYI- Off topic but still worthwhile. Otzi reports on the benefits of "Oil Pulling" for teeth & preventing gum disease:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post869026

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-16-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Iodine and the Thyroid
    Dr. Tom Roselle and Sue Roselle, MS, CNS discuss the complicated relationship between iodine and the thyroid.

Worthwhile discussion on iodine & thyroid, TSH, T3, T4 & Hashi (auto-immune), thyroid inflammation, acid reflux disease

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-16-2012 at 11:07 AM.