Page 292 of 415 FirstFirst ... 192242282290291292293294302342392 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,920 of 4146

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 292

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I added a list of natural sources of iodine to the initial post.

If anyone wants me to add something to the initial post, just say so.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I added a list of natural sources of iodine to the initial post.

If anyone wants me to add something to the initial post, just say so.
    Bosnic,

Thank you so much for doing this. This is a long and complex thread on a very difficult subject and we have learned a lot over the past 5 months.

Yes, would you please post this link and call it Iodine 101
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post847058

This will give everyone the proper introduction with minimal reading and minimal complexity. I managed to squeeze everything into the 2,000 character limit.

Many thanks,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-13-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    That top-rated moisturizer has pronounceable ingredients; so likely is as near healthy as a cosmetic can be. If I didn't occasionally slather on coconut oil, I might be tempted to try this stuff. ;-) However, even though I don't have the fluoride nor bromine exposure many people do, I still think I am hypo and need iodine in larger quantities until equilibrium is attained.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    so, for anyone who has/had a low body temperature. How much iodine and for how long did you need to take it to see a rise in body temperature?

I've long suspected I'm hypo, when I first started reading this post over 3 weeks ago I went to the doc to get my blood tested and it turns out I'm "normal", even though I consistently score a low body temp of around 97.1-97.8 and I always have cold hands and feet. After little over 3 weeks of upping my dose, I'm up to 3 drops of lugol's 2% + all the supplements, but my body temps have never passed above 97.8.
    Last edited by lizzychan5; 06-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post
    so, for anyone who has/had a low body temperature. How much iodine and for how long did you need to take it to see a rise in body temperature?

I've long suspected I'm hypo, when I first started reading this post over 3 weeks ago I went to the doc to get my blood tested and it turns out I'm "normal", even though I consistently score a low body temp of around 97.1-97.8 and I always have cold hands and feet. After little over 3 weeks of upping my dose, I'm up to 3 drops of lugol's 2% + all the supplements, but my body temps have never passed above 97.8.
    If your doc just relied on TSH, as most are likely to do, it's no wonder you were proclaimed normal. You need more tests than that.

I am hypothyroid and have been on iodine for a few months. While my temp has gone up, I have not been able to get it above 98.2 yet, and have not been able to lower my thyroid meds either. I'm up to 50mg Iodoral.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    If your doc just relied on TSH, as most are likely to do, it's no wonder you were proclaimed normal. You need more tests than that.

I am hypothyroid and have been on iodine for a few months. While my temp has gone up, I have not been able to get it above 98.2 yet, and have not been able to lower my thyroid meds either. I'm up to 50mg Iodoral.
    I told my doc, who's a DO, that I was just starting to supplement with iodine and following Dr. Brownstein's protocol. My doc had actually heard of Dr. Brownstein and had a few of his other books but yet thought me supplementing with iodine was crazy. He was actually kinda mad that I was diagnosing myself.

Ironically, after I posted what I did I just took my evening temperature and it read for the first time 98.0. I guess I am making progress, its just going real slow.

smgj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    ATP Cofactors is B2+B3 in the correct dosage, so its a replacement for taking B2 and B3.
    Is it possible your getting high amounts of B2 somewhere else in your diet?
    Nope. I've looked through my diet (nothing special there - my diet is primal-ish - except from an addiction to unsweetened green or herbal tea - NOT anything alcoholic which would explain the findings) and my other vitamins doesn't add up to "problematic dosages" (25mg b2 and 25mg niacinamide from my multi). No prescription medication except of dessicated thyroid + a tiny bit of synthetic t4. My doc also states that neither B2 nor B3 "should" be the reason at these amounts, but that, and iodine, is the only thing I've changed and I doubt that the iodine is the reason.

Well - I'll see on next checkup. (And I don't hold that it's necessarily good to use huge amounts of the b2/b3 without having symptoms on increased need for them... like lethargy or frozen fingers/feet etc.) I do still take them sometimes, but only on "frozen days" (2-3 times the last month) when they seem to do some good. I believe that there is an individual need for these and that I've probably done better on 1/4th or less of the recommended dosage.

BTW - I took these b-vitamins, which is the same sub-types and amounts "as the recommended" ATP co-factors ( Optimox's presents: ATP Cofactors ® )

B2: The Big Vit Shop |Now Foods,Vitamin B-2, Riboflavin, 100mg x 100 Capsules
    B3: The Big Vit Shop |21st Century,Vitamin B-3, Flush Free, Niacin Inositol Hexanicotinate, 500 mg x 110 Capsules
    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mom5booklover View Post
    Then you must be makeing your own toothpaste, drinking no teas, taking no perscriptions, eating only organic, even well water has some flouride in it naturally, no hair dyes as they have bromide, if you drive a car then you are exposed daily (especially when the car upholstry gets heated) the newer the car the worse the bromide, pet food has bromide (not that your eating it but being exposed to it). Most people on here do eat pretty well but we are still under constant assault from bromide, flouride, and yes even chloride all of which are halides and will replace iodine in our bodies. If you swim in a chlorinated pool count that as well. If you use detergents with bleach on your laundry, more assault from chloride. If you use fabric softeners that's a huge hit from bromide. All of these are competing with iodine and winning. So yes we need alot of iodine to compete with these elements that already have a head start in our bodies because of thier elemental weights. Your right that Grok didn't need alot of iodine like this but he didn't have any of these elements trying to take over like we do.
    So right. Which is why I use fluoride free toothpaste, don't swim in pools, eat organic when possible, don't use fabric conditioner or hair dye, no detergents with bleach, no sunscreen - in fact, about the only ready made thing I do use is ... wine. Goodness knows what is in that, but it can only be a small amount. And I have no pets. Our tap water has 0.1 parts fluoride per million, so I'm happy with that.

I prefer trying really hard to avoid nasties than relying on taking large, large doses of anything else.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzychan5 View Post

I told my doc, who's a DO, that I was just starting to supplement with iodine and following Dr. Brownstein's protocol. My doc had actually heard of Dr. Brownstein and had a few of his other books but yet thought me supplementing with iodine was crazy. He was actually kinda mad that I was diagnosing myself.

Ironically, after I posted what I did I just took my evening temperature and it read for the first time 98.0. I guess I am making progress, its just going real slow.
    Lizzy,
    Congratulations on taking control over your own health! ! YAY! Of course your doctor hates it that you are taking iodine. It CURES people and reduces their income. Also congrats on charting your body temperature to measure your thyroid performance. We made a MAJOR discovery with this file that explains why body temperature charts are the most important measure of our thyroid.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post844257

Unfortunately you need a new doctor. Here is how to find a new doctor that will REALLY help you without the BS.
    HOW TO FIND A GOOD DOCTOR | Stop The Thyroid Madness
    Please carefully follow this guide:
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/site-map/

Also unfortunately, your thyroid may never recover from so many years of being deprived of iodine, and you might require Natural Dessicated Thyroid Hormone for life. However keep in mind that you should consider taking iodine in addition to your thyroid meds because your thyroid might slowly recover its function over time when bathed in iodine. You will know this by keeping up your basal body temp chart. As your thyroid recovers, you will need to reduce your thyroid meds to avoid hyperthyroidism (body temp above 98.6). If you are lucky, your thyroid meds will drop to zero over time as iodine slowly heals your thyroid. For now, you might want to start on your Natural Dessicated Meds to get your body temp back to normal and end your hypothyroidism.

Also the rest of your body still needs iodine, especially your breasts to prevent Fibrocystic Breast Disease & subsequent breast cancer, Your ovaries to prevent PCOS, and your uterus to prevent Uterine Cysts & Endo + associated cancers. All of these cancers don't just start overnight. No. Breast cancers are the end result of decades of Fibrocystic breast disease. Curing fibocystic breasts with iodine prevents breast cancers. Read our Iodine References chapter Cancer, Dr. Derry.
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

I see you are in Chicago, you should have no trouble finding a good Iodine Doctor
    Best to you, and please keep us informed of your progress.
    We are cheering for you!

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-14-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    I was perusing through the STTM Website and found this interesting chapter, "Iodine & Your Thyroid"
    Iodine and your thyroid | Stop The Thyroid Madness
    They made a mistake with the salt supplements.

Especially interesting are the references & section 15
    15. FACTS ABOUT IODINE AND AUTOIMMUNE THYROIDITIS by Guy E. Abraham, M.D. (This article comes to the conclusion, as bolded at the end, that iodine is not the direct cause of Hashimotos, but lack of. )
    Not much new there for us old timers in this thread, but still a nice and condensed version of our "Iodine References" file which I need to start trimming. It has grown too big and intimidating.

Also today I've added the following to References - Chapter Thyroid:
    5 causes of swollen thyroid
    Can you name the causes without peeking? I could only name one of the causes - Iodine Deficiency.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.