Page 290 of 415 FirstFirst ... 190240280288289290291292300340390 ... LastLast
Results 2,891 to 2,900 of 4146

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 290

Grizz is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Just as I thought. Y'all don't have anything better than the Brownstein Protocol.

You just can't experiment with iodine willy-nilly and you certainly can't recommend that any newbees start taking iodine without the required supplements as recommended by Dr. Brownstein. Iodine is not just another vitamin and if you recommend iodine without a proper medical support you are irresponsible.

No, it is NOT up to each person to experiment willy nilly with iodine. It is up to us to recommend the best time tested & Doctor sponsored iodine protocol available for the newbees to start. So until someone comes up with a better protocol, then we as a group should recommend the Dr. Brownstein Protocol.

Grizz

smgj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Just as I thought. Y'all don't have anything better than the Brownstein Protocol.

You just can't experiment with iodine willy-nilly and you certainly can't recommend that any newbees start taking iodine without the required supplements as recommended by Dr. Brownstein. Iodine is not just another vitamin and if you recommend iodine without a proper medical support you are irresponsible.

No, it is NOT up to each person to experiment willy nilly with iodine. It is up to us to recommend the best time tested & Doctor sponsored iodine protocol available for the newbees to start. So until someone comes up with a better protocol, then we as a group should recommend the Dr. Brownstein Protocol.

Grizz
    I do agree to some extent. But what do you do when the "terrain" (the body's reactions) doesn't fit with the map? Do you STILL recommend "keep to the protocol" or to change the usage of "the protocol" according to the reactions? Would you recommend ME to keep on taking B2 even though I got increased liver enzymes and this can be caused by (to high) B2 supplementation?

(What is your definition of the protocol BTW - I've never read that Dr Brownstein recommend the ATP cofactors, but B2 and B3 supplementation under certain circumstances ... and especially for hashimoto's. Correct me if I'm wrong – I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm pretty sure about this… )

I stand behind you in using Dr. Brownsteins recommendations as a starting point, but not as a "one size fits all"-approach.
    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    **tentatively raises hand**

I'm very interested in finding out more about iodine, and whether I should just start eating seaweed and kelp or if I need supplements, but this thread is almost 300 pages, and the first few of them are pretty daunting -- showing graphic illustrations of what happens if you take too much iodine, etc.

Could someone please point me to an "iodine 101" post? Something for beginners who want to learn more without getting inundated? Very, very, very much appreciated...

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post

Grizz
    You Dont Get It...
    Im not arguing against Dr. B's Protocol, I agree with it for the most part, but I did my own research, I did not take your word for it because "you said so"
    Im arguing against you Pushing Dr.B's Protocol as the Only Information to even look at.
    It is not your right to tell people what they have to do. They are not children & you are not their mother. and forcing people to believe what you want them to, has never really worked out historically in the long term.
    You can provide the information as your Opinion of what is the best protocol but its up to each person to do there own research and choose what is best for them.
    If Dr. Brownstiens Protocol is that good then it will stand the comparison against the other information out there.
    But telling people they must do it the way "you" think is best "because *** said so and we only do what *** says" is no different than the Dr. who told me to take Penicillin and that my personal experience dident matter because they are a Doctor and they know best (I'm allergic to penicillin by the way). Post the research you have, state your reasoning as your opinion, let them do there own research and then it is their right to decide what information they choose to follow. The more information out their the better.
    And before you go off again.. Im not arguing against Dr. Brownstein, Im arguing against you telling people Not to bother doing there own research because you know best.
    Last edited by DinoHunter; 06-13-2012 at 05:11 AM.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by smgj View Post
    I do agree to some extent. But what do you do when the "terrain" (the body's reactions) doesn't fit with the map? Do you STILL recommend "keep to the protocol" or to change the usage of "the protocol" according to the reactions? Would you recommend ME to keep on taking B2 even though I got increased liver enzymes and this can be caused by (to high) B2 supplementation?

(What is your definition of the protocol BTW - I've never read that Dr Brownstein recommend the ATP cofactors, but B2 and B3 supplementation under certain circumstances ... and especially for hashimoto's. Correct me if I'm wrong – I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm pretty sure about this… )

I stand behind you in using Dr. Brownsteins recommendations as a starting point, but not as a "one size fits all"-approach.

ATP Cofactors is B2+B3 in the correct dosage, so its a replacement for taking B2 and B3.
    Is it possible your getting high amounts of B2 somewhere else in your diet?
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post

I'm very interested in finding out more about iodine, and whether I should just start eating seaweed and kelp or if I need supplements, but this thread is almost 300 pages, and the first few of them are pretty daunting -- showing graphic illustrations of what happens if you take too much iodine, etc.

Could someone please point me to an "iodine 101" post? Something for beginners who want to learn more without getting inundated? Very, very, very much appreciated...
    Jackie,

Whenever I need additional info, I find one of 'Grizz's' posts. He has done a yoeman's job of gathering data. He has also spent considerable effort to put it into a google document with links. He has a long one and a short one listed into his signature. He is very big on a protocol listed by a Dr. Brownstein who currently has a practice in a suburb northwest of Detroit. He is a natrupath and I believe an MD also. Grizz has become quite passionate about the subject. He is responsible for finding much of the info found in this thread. He is also an n-1 experimenter and has proven much as safe, at least in the short term. There are several people who disagree with his speech (he does get preachy at times, but it is born out of his concern). He has the passion of a young Ralph Nader going after General Motors only his target is the CW of mainstream medicine. Here is his main link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...2rg/edit?pli=1 Of course this whole Mark's Daily Apple website stuff encourages you to make your own decisions based on how your own body reacts.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Grizz is offline Banned

Here is your Iodine for Beginners file:
    Iodine Anyone? - Page 262 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 262
    "http://tinyurl.com/iodine-story"

Grizz

Kelp/seaweed isent recomended for iodine due to the high level of radiation risk. also youd have to eat a LOT of seaweed to get the doses required for most things and the toxins you would get with that could be pretty nasty

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I agree that Grizz is sounding preachy. But if you have another method, could you post the research too? Iodine could very well be like Primal -- different protocols for different people, and the more evidence and info of all kinds, the better for everyone.

I should add the Brownstein book to my Amazon wish list.

ATP co-factors just arrived from Amazon, so I'm up to full supplement protocol with no side affects (at least not that I can trace to the supplements). I'll start drinking Lugol's this weekend. 1 drop per 8 oz bottle, 1 oz per day, got it.

No progress on the moles. Darn.
    5'0" female, 42 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: 105.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    You Dont Get It...
    Im not arguing against Dr. B's Protocol, I agree with it for the most part, but I did my own research, I did not take your word for it because "you said so"
    Im arguing against you Pushing Dr.B's Protocol as the Only Information to even look at.
    It is not your right to tell people what they have to do. They are not children & you are not their mother. and forcing people to believe what you want them to, has never really worked out historically in the long term.
    You can provide the information as your Opinion of what is the best protocol but its up to each person to do there own research and choose what is best for them.
    If Dr. Brownstiens Protocol is that good then it will stand the comparison against the other information out there.
    But telling people they must do it the way "you" think is best "because *** said so and we only do what *** says" is no different than the Dr. who told me to take Penicillin and that my personal experience dident matter because they are a Doctor and they know best (I'm allergic to penicillin by the way). Post the research you have, state your reasoning as your opinion, let them do there own research and then it is their right to decide what information they choose to follow. The more information out their the better.
    And before you go off again.. Im not arguing against Dr. Brownstein, Im arguing against you telling people Not to bother doing there own research because you know best.
    @@Dino,
    I have NEVER told anyone to not do their own research. As you can plainly see from my recent post to Joey
    You will find all of our research reports in the Iodine References, chapter "Research Reports."
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references
    If you find anything better, let me know & I'll add it to the References.
    I think you are giving me far too much credit. People are going to do what they want to do, regardless of what I say. It is our job as a group to make newcomers aware of the best iodine protocol available, so that a person who starts taking iodine avoids the horrors of a potential Thyroid DISASTER, (Thyroid Firestorm) and a trip to the emergency room, which can be prevented by taking the required supplements.

@@ SMGJ,What do I do when a person shows up into our group with thyroid medical problems? I immediately send them over to the Yahoo Iodine Group, who has Dr. Buist to give proper medical advice. Dr. Buist is also the author of this excellent E-Book, The Guide to Supplementing with Iodine available as a free download here:
    Iodine | Stepping Stones Living, LLC
    I recommend that everyone download this outstanding guide.

Also, I certainly don't have all the answers, and if the Dr. Brownstein Protocol fails someone, I have that covered with these statements in iodine references:
    Quote Originally Posted by IodineReferences
    "ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR OR LICENSED HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL BEFORE TAKING ANY SUPPLEMENTS."

WARNING BEFORE YOU START:
    * Do not take iodine if you are allergic to iodized salt. Do the iodine skin test.
    - - - Are you allergic to Iodine?
    * Do not take iodine unless you also take ALL the required supplements, listed above.
    * There is a chance that any one of us could have thyroid problems that may or may not be corrected by taking iodine supplements. Natural Thyroid Hormone Meds may be required.
    * Do you have cold hands & cold feet? Do you have several of these hypothyroid symptoms?
    * Do you feel hot? Do you have these hyperthyroid symptoms?
    These are signs that you should do the following:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references
    This is very serious business here, we don't want to see anyone going to the emergency room.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-13-2012 at 07:08 AM.