Page 289 of 415 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291299339389 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 289

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Grizz, how long for the skin lesion? I've been trying the iodine on the toe moles and one flesh mole and no luck yet after three weeks. All it did was make my skin peel, especially with the apple cider vinegar.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

asmitty is offline Junior Member
    @ Joey A. I appreciate your skepticism. I felt the same way reading some of that material. Creationism is antithetical to evidence in favor of the paleo lifestyle. I scoured pubmed, and, unfortunately the area seems to be poorly studied, but there were some cautionary studies. My conclusion...for what it's worth, short term high dose iodine is likely safer than pharmaceutical drugs, and can likely help the gut ecosystem, and remove toxins from the body. I liked Alan Gaby's points(below). As I stated in an earlier post, even he concedes short term high dose iodine therapy holds promise...but he urged caution. With the Japanese thing, even if one was conserative(took the dry weight of the sea food), it seems like they get at least ~1.5mg iodine/iodide along with other minerals. Thats why I will likely do a short burst of high dose and settle around 2mg lugols a day, along with 1-2 days off per week.

Alan Gaby editorial on iodine (Aug/Sept 2005)

Now, to a question.
    Would you guys recommend getting thyroid antibodies tested along with the thyroid panel? Or, only if something seems off with the traditional tests? And, would the primary care doctor likely be willing to order such additional tests in your experience?

Thanks

smgj is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post
    Are there any mainstream scientists in favor of iodine supplementation?

If so, can you point me in their direction? I was reading Dr. Abraham's stuff and got really turned off when he started trying to promote creationism in the middle of his article. I personally believe in evolution and would like my science to be built upon that foundation. To each their own, I suppose, but it's not for me.
    Hi. I have the same "problems". But I solve this much as you do
    - I look for supporting stuff elsewhere
    - I realize that nobody holds The "Universal Truth" - most of us, even brilliant scientists have some wrong assumptions in between the correct ones. (Even Dr. Brownstein or Abraham or Flechas have probably some "wrongs" in their assumptions.)

What is important is whether following their theories is better or worse than following mainstream science. For me - mostly following Dr Brownsteins recommendations seems to have done good. (But due to increased liver enzymes I've had to stop the co-factors. And I believe any good doctor would modulate his treatment based on the responses of the patient.

PS every scientist would agree upon humans needing iodine. The disagreement is about how much. I base my supplementation upon the facts that
    - Japanese consumption is high -> iodine in such amounts cannot be instantly dangerous
    - Breast cancer is extremely low in japan (may have a different reason, but is probably connected)
    - There are several papers that points to an interaction between selenium/iodine -> I believe the need to increase selenium/iodine parallel is correct

---> I may try for a while...
    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

Quote Originally Posted by asmitty View Post
    Now, to a question.
    Would you guys recommend getting thyroid antibodies tested along with the thyroid panel? Or, only if something seems off with the traditional tests? And, would the primary care doctor likely be willing to order such additional tests in your experience?

Thanks
    I can't speak for US primary care. In Norway they generally are "reluctant, but quite easily persuaded". I'd say that if you have symptoms of thyroid dysfunction antibodies should be evaluated. Some patients get symptoms even on "normal lab values" (normal fT3, fT4 and TSH, that is) - then the antibodies may confirm that the thyroid is under attack and may give an earlier treatment.
    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    So of course, I recommend the Browstein Protocoll. It is time tested & proven to be safe.
    Grizz
    Grizz
    I have no issue with Dr Brownstein. & I have no problem with you telling everyone that thatís the protocol YOU follow & recommend.
    What I do have an issue with is your Blanket statement that "WE" (implying everyone on this thread) follow his protocol & & do not deviate from it etc. And that everyone else must do the same.
    People are free to make there own choices and hopefully those will be made on proper research. Most of the people on this forum are here because they donít accept CW at face value & are willing & able to think for themselves. But there is conflicting research and there are conflicting Personal circumstances & needs.
    What works for one person may not be appropriate for the next. As long as they are aware of the information & the risk then how they use that information is up to them.. NOT YOU.
    And I do not appreciate being told what I Must Do/Think. or you implying to others that "I" along with everyone else on the thread do things the way You say they must be done, because I donít.. Or I would still be at only 6mg of iodine instead of over 300mg.
    And No, ive havenít had all the Detox symptoms you keep telling people they Will get if they donít do it a certain way... in fact ive had very little detox symptoms..
    Does that mean I think everyone should ramp up the dose like I did? No. they need to work out whatís appropriate for them and what they can tolerate. and it may or may not be Dr. Brownsteinís way of doing things.
    I appreciate that your passionate about this but im also quite aware that your cult like attitude is putting people off what should be a very helpful thread. so please do everyone a favour & tone it down a notch, Speak for yourself only, & let everyone else speak for themselves.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    @asmitty,

thanks for this thread

Alan Gaby editorial on iodine (Aug/Sept 2005)

which I read - it completely mirrors my own reservations. I cannot see how taking megadoses of iodine can replicate any natural, diet based consumption, from any culture, at any time.

I do agree that almost everyone will be to some extent iodine deficient, due to agricultural practices, lack of seafood etc - but surely quite small doses of iodine should be enough to rectify this?

I read this thread regularly, but I am not prepared to self experiment with massive doses. For me, one drop of Lugol's 3% in water, twice a week, is sufficient of an experiment.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    @asmitty,

which I read - it completely mirrors my own reservations. I cannot see how taking megadoses of iodine can replicate any natural, diet based consumption, from any culture, at any time.
    I do agree that almost everyone will be to some extent iodine deficient, due to agricultural practices, lack of seafood etc - but surely quite small doses of iodine should be enough to rectify this?
    This might be true IF we weren’t also being exposed to high levels of toxins now, that push out & replace the iodine in our body’s (Bromide, Fluoride etc)
    Something that wasn’t an issue hundreds or thousands of years ago. There also would have been higher amounts of iodine naturally available in the food supply back then.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    This might be true IF we weren’t also being exposed to high levels of toxins now, that push out & replace the iodine in our body’s (Bromide, Fluoride etc)
    Something that wasn’t an issue hundreds or thousands of years ago. There also would have been higher amounts of iodine naturally available in the food supply back then.
    +1

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Where I live (Sussex, UK) there is no added fluoride in the water.

http://www.southernwater.co.uk/homeA...uoridation.asp

I make all my food from scratch, organic where possible. I don't have new carpets etc, furniture is antique - I can't believe that I'm being inundated with Bromide, Fluoride etc. And it must be so for a lot of people on this and other similar forums?

I do still supplement with SOME lugol's - as I believe that present agricultural methods have led to massive mineral depletion in the soil. But it is not just iodine / iodide - most minerals are depleted.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post
    Are there any mainstream scientists in favor of iodine supplementation?

If so, can you point me in their direction? I was reading Dr. Abraham's stuff and got really turned off when he started trying to promote creationism in the middle of his article. I personally believe in evolution and would like my science to be built upon that foundation. To each their own, I suppose, but it's not for me.
    Joey,
    You will find all of our research reports in the Iodine References, chapter "Research Reports."
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references
    If you find anything better, let me know & I'll add it to the References.

However the following facts are indisputable:
    1) Every cell in the human body requires iodine
    2) The sex organs, brain & thyroid require the most iodine
    3) Halide chemicals displace iodine in our cells
    4) Halide Chemicals are everwhere, causing us to be iodine deficient
    5) Iodine deficiency causes major problems in the human body including:
    * Thyroid problems show up first, mostly hypothyroid symptoms
    * This causes hormonal imbalances
    * Fibrocystic Breasts
    * PCOS
    * Cysts
    * Endometriosis
    * Prostate problems
    * Testicular cysts
    The only unknown left is exactly how much iodine we need. Dr. Brownstein covers this with a 50mg recommendation. This amount is enough to overcome halide toxins, and any excess just goes out in the urine. The body takes what it wants and the rest goes out in the urine.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-13-2012 at 06:01 AM.