Page 286 of 415 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336386 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,860 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 286

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just ran into this fascinating article at the CureZone:

Some obvious mistakes and gross errors, but still an interesting article:
    Function of Iodine: Why do I need Iodine?

Can you spot the gross errors?

Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    Dr. Michael B. Schachter says, “The treatment dose when a person is iodine insufficient is generally between 12.5 mg and 50 mg daily. Preliminary research indicates that if a person is iodine insufficient, it takes about 3 months to become iodine sufficient while ingesting a dosage of 50 mg of iodine and a year to become iodine sufficient while ingesting a dosage of 12.5 mg of iodine daily. However, the patient needs to be monitored closely with awareness of possible side effects and detoxification reactions.” This is quite a bit of iodine and if his statements can be substantiated then most people are using dosages which are much too low.
    Rest of the article here:
    Iodine Dosages and Treatments – IMVA Dosages

Grizz

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Have we discussed Nascent Iodine? That is referenced in the above article. Sounds interesting, though expensive.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Have we discussed Nascent Iodine? That is referenced in the above article. Sounds interesting, though expensive.
    I looked it up. Its prohibitivly exspensive, exspecially when you work out the dosage.. And dosont look like it containes iodide (although I could be wrong on that)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    I looked it up. Its prohibitivly exspensive, exspecially when you work out the dosage.. And dosont look like it containes iodide (although I could be wrong on that)
    You are not kidding! 29.00 plus for one ounce of 2%.

asmitty is offline Junior Member
    Hey guys,

I have an autoimmune disease. Also, I have been on the paleo diet for about 1.5 months now. This website is an invaluable resource . When I read Grizz's post on Iodine deficiency I realized I suffer from most of the symptoms listed. I want to make sure I attack this properly.

I was planning on getting T3, and rT3 tested. Also, I plan to keep a temperature record. If I have hypothyroid as I expect....two questions?

The dosing instructions for detoxification according to the Iodine bible are up to 50mg per day. Does anyone have research supporting the safety of this? I am a bit worried because that's about 50x the upper limit for iodine toxicity. And, would tracking ones temperature be sufficient to mitigate my concerns? Thank you

Grizz is offline Banned
    asmitty,
    I suggest you download the latest Guide here:
    Iodine | Stepping Stones Living, LLC
    which discusses autoimmune disease, and take ALL of the required supplements.

Also if you are concerned, be certain to read StopTheThyroidMadness
    Grizz

asmitty is offline Junior Member
    Wonderful. Thank you Grizz

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by asmitty View Post
    Hey guys,

I have an autoimmune disease. Also, I have been on the paleo diet for about 1.5 months now. This website is an invaluable resource . When I read Grizz's post on Iodine deficiency I realized I suffer from most of the symptoms listed. I want to make sure I attack this properly.

I was planning on getting T3, and rT3 tested. Also, I plan to keep a temperature record. If I have hypothyroid as I expect....two questions?

The dosing instructions for detoxification according to the Iodine bible are up to 50mg per day. Does anyone have research supporting the safety of this? I am a bit worried because that's about 50x the upper limit for iodine toxicity. And, would tracking ones temperature be sufficient to mitigate my concerns? Thank you
    I am taking 50mg of Iodoral a day right now. I am also hypothyroid, on T3 and NatureThroid. My temp has gone up from 97.8 to 98.2 from the iodine, although I have not had to adjust my meds yet. I do not have Hashi's. Your temp and your heart rate are what you want to monitor at home to make sure you don't go hyperthyroid. With an AI, make sure you take the selenium for at least a month before starting iodine.

smgj is offline Senior Member
    I have hashi. I've gone 2 aprox 2 months on 30mg and then down to 18-24. I started high but had magnesium and - really important - selenium in place - before adding iodine. It's vital to start the selenium a month or so before iodine if you're not supplementing selenium already. (Some papers point to too little selenium as a source to the adverse effects on iodine supplementation reported by some since selenium is required in the transport and usage of iodine.)

My reaction to supplementation:
    I've had pretty stable and good temperature also before supplementation (tiny dosage t4 + 2 grains dessicated thyroid in the form of canadian Erfa), but got a small surge of energy and the warmth subjectively I feel + an increased craving for salt. (Not surprising since I normally use too little salt.)

As to my labs:
    No changes in t3 or t4. No noticable change in antibodies (but my lab are lousy on antibodies, their measurements are not dependable) and a slight rise in TSH. But a rise in TSH is anticipated by Dr. Brownstein as this signifies that the thyroid is drawing the iodine from the blood... (Here the salt + the selenium is vital)

So for me the scares of iodine supplementation are proven wrong. I even got a much needed surge in hair growth at the time…

But... be sure to monitor your symptoms and your labs. Don't pay too much attention to TSH, but look for overall changes in symptoms and for changes in t3/t4 + antibodies. If you look back there is a slideshow with Dr. Brownstein somewhere that explains the need for salt + selenium in order to keep the antibodies down for hashi's patients while on iodine.
    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)