Page 283 of 415 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285293333383 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,830 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 283

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    I want to try taking iodine as I suspect my low carbing is affecting my thyroid (to be honest, I think I've had a less than optimal thyroid function for a really long time).

However, I get a recurring rash on my lower leg that I have long suspected is DH (linked with celiacs). I haven't had this confirmed (I plan on getting a referral and talking to a dermatologist about it as my regular doctor is stumped by the rash), but if it is that, then apparently Iodine can actually worsen the rash. See The Gluten Intolerance Group of North America on Iodine and Dermatitis Herpetiformis - Celiac.com

Does anyone know about this? If so, how long do I need to be gluten free, and rash free, before it could be safe to take iodine? I am rash free right now and have been for about a month I believe.
    You will find that most CW site's will say iodine is bad for you unless they are an Iodine proponent (which is getting more common but still less likely). Just like most doctors will tell you the same thing. I am also allergic to gluten. Most likely celiacs like you though I haven't been tested yet most of my family has celiacs. I had detox symptoms when first starting iodine but they went away within a few weeks. I didn't get a rash but I got really annoying acne on my face and even some on my back. I also felt like I had the flu. If you up your intake of sea salt at this time you should feel some relief from the symptoms. Remember that most CW medical (which includes thyroid websites and celiacs websites) will state that iodine is bad for your condition. Only because they have been mislead to believe this. Some people freak out when they get strange detox reactions from starting iodine (myself included) and then stop using it and blog about how bad it is for thier conditions. Sadly that doesn't help get the word out on iodine and it's benefits. Try it for a month or so and see if the rash goes away.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post

My sister is a groomer, and she does that too. It shows how bad off dogs are health-wise, since their glands are supposed to empty every time they have a bowel movement. I suspect it's the commercial dog food, which is as bad for them as the Standard American Diet is for us.
    So am I (& it sure beats working with people all day LOL)
    Heres the thing..
    Most dogs Do not need there AG's done (& yes the ones that do is mostly down to the food) But doing it regularly as many groomers have been taught to do will actually weaken & damage the muscles that control the Anal Glands and create a problem where there was none to begin with.. The way groomers are taught to do it is external expression which only empties the Anal sac at the base of the tail.. Which will simply refill from the anal gland which can only be expressed internally (& which can only be done by a vet~ a job their welcome to IMO)

Its also considered a bit of a grey area legally (Both in the US and UK) for a Groomer to do it.
    Basically its legal for a Groomer to express the anal sac (externally only) But not to diagnose that it needs done... so if they do it.. Then they have diagnosed that it needs done.. which they can be charged as practicing vet medicine if someone (say a local vet that thinks hes loosing business...) should report them.
    Unfortunately most groomers donít get taught that bit during training

I stopped doing them as a matter of course years ago and unsurprisingly do not see any problems in my regular clients that have not had this done regularly. Course it helps that I encourage my clients to get off the *&%*& Bakers & Purina etc.....
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    Thanks. I also found this: Environmental Health Perspectives: Use of Iodine for Water Disinfection: Iodine Toxicity and Maximum Recommended Dose which, in the context of iodine for water treatment, says that long-term iodine intake in the milligram range is fine (there are changes to the thyroid hormone levels but nothing clinically significant), but there may be concerns with goitres developing after more than three months of supplementation in the tens of milligrams range – though notes that some studies have shown this and some haven't, and speculates that Something Else might be going on. The paper that did show goitre with high levels of iodine was published in 1998, and dealt with US volunteers working in Niger. I can't find anything about the other two, which seem to be too old for PubMed, being published in the fifties.
    Orielwen,
    You are confusing yourself and wasting your time with all of this bad information that is out there on the internet. I suggest that you follow the advice of Dr. Brownstein, Dr. Flechas, Dr. Abraham, and also the advice from Dr. Buist who owns the Yahoo Iodine Group.
    iodine : Iodine
    Download Dr. Buists latest E-Book on iodine here:
    Iodine | Stepping Stones Living, LLC

Turn a deaf ear to all the negativism about iodine. Instead, read all the doctor written articles I have provided here in Iodine References.
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

You need to at least match the Japanese diet, which is 12.5mg of iodine daily on average. Also, goiters are caused by insufficient iodine, not by too much iodine. If taking iodine were in any way bad for our health, we would not be here. Just the opposite is true. Iodine is essential to our health, and in order to overcome toxins in our environment, we must now take more iodine than ever before. Dr. Brownstein now recommends 50mg daily as optimal.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-07-2012 at 10:51 AM.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Orielwen,
    You are confusing yourself and wasting your time with all of this bad information that is out there on the internet.
    You're right. What was I thinking? How could I possibly have believed that peer-reviewed medical articles published in scientific journals with strict editorial policies could be anywhere near as reliable as a badly-written, poorly referenced multicoloured Google document written by some guy I found on a forum?

You really are doing your movement no favours. If your claims for iodine are true, there'll be evidence for it in the literature, even if it's been misinterpreted.

Grizz is offline Banned
    You're right. What was I thinking? How could I possibly have believed that peer-reviewed medical articles published in scientific journals with strict editorial policies could be anywhere near as reliable as a badly-written, poorly referenced multicoloured Google document written by some guy I found on a forum?

You really are doing your movement no favours. If your claims for iodine are true, there'll be evidence for it in the literature, even if it's been misinterpreted.
    orielwen,
    We follow the Dr. Brownstien Iodine Protocol that is explained here:
    Iodine
    Doctor Brownstein, Dr. Abram & Dr. Flechas started the Iodine Project as explained in the above slide show.

Read this from Dr. Brownstein:
    I have been involved in the iodine project for seven years. During this time, iodine has consistently provided the most satisfying clinical results as compared to any other nutrient. To date, my partners and I have tested nearly 5,000 patients for iodine levels. Our results show that more than 96 percent of patients tested have low iodine levels with the vast majority being severely iodine deficient. I believe iodine deficiency is occurring at an epidemic rate across the United States. The consequences of iodine deficiency are severe: mental retardation, lowered IQ, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), infertility, thyroid problems, and cancer of the breast, prostate, ovaries, thyroid and uterus.

Unfortunately, a lot of misinformation exists about iodine. People are afraid to use iodine because of unsubstantiated rumors about this nutrient. This article, excerpted in part from my book, Iodine Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It, is written to provide the reader with the correct information about iodine so that the reader can make an educated decision about whether to supplement with this important nutrient.

For more than 100 years, iodine has been known as the element that is necessary for thyroid hormone production. However, it is rare to see any further mention of iodine’s other effects. Iodine is found in each of the trillions of cells in the body. Without adequate iodine levels, life itself is not possible.

Iodine is not only necessary for the production of thyroid hormone, it is also responsible for the production of all of the other hormones of the body. Adequate iodine levels are necessary for proper immune system function. Iodine contains potent antibacterial, antiparasitic, antiviral, and anticancer properties. Iodine is also effective for treating fibrocystic breasts and ovarian cysts. Table 1 lists some of the many benefits of iodine and some of the conditions that would benefit from adequate iodine supplementation.

Every cell in the body contains and utilizes iodine, but iodine is concentrated in the glandular system of the body. The thyroid gland contains a higher concentration of iodine than any other organ. Large amounts of iodine are also stored in many other areas including the salivary glands, cerebrospinal fluid and the brain,3 gastric mucosa, choroid plexus, breasts, ovaries, and the ciliary body of the eye. In the brain, iodine concentrates in the substantia nigra, an area of the brain that has been associated with Parkinson’s disease. Iodine is essential for the normal growth and development of children. Severe iodine deficiency can result in severe mental deficiency and deafness (i.e., cretinism). In addition, spontaneous abortion, as well as delayed physical and intellectual development is associated with iodine deficiency. Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is also related to iodine deficiency (see chapter 10 of my book).
    The rest of the article:
    Iodine Deficiency - An Under-Recognized Epidemic
    Also this interview with Dr. Brownstein & Dr. Eric
    An Interview With Dr. David Brownstein On Iodine and Thyroid Health | Natural Thyroid Treatment/Graves Disease/Hashimotos Thyroiditis

We are following an iodine protocol designed by multiple doctors.

Tell us which iodine protocol you are following, and the names of the doctors promoting it. If your protocol is better than ours, then I for one would be willing to change.

If you don't have a doctor supported protocol then you can follow with us. Or else what exactly is your suggestion to improve the protocol we are on ?

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-07-2012 at 01:07 PM.

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the expanded responses guys.

Alright, well if it's not DH specifically that is supposed to react badly to iodine, and more like a CW thing in general, then I'll give it a go.

Will do some reading on what else to do first though.

Thanks
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    Thanks for the expanded responses guys.

Alright, well if it's not DH specifically that is supposed to react badly to iodine, and more like a CW thing in general, then I'll give it a go.

Will do some reading on what else to do first though.

Thanks
    You might start with the mini version of "Iodine References"
    Iodine Anyone? - Page 262 | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page 262

Grizz

LynneF is offline Member
    What do DH and CW mean?

Lynne

Grizz is offline Banned
    Lynne,

DH is a terrible skin rash explained here, "Dermatitis Herpetiformis:"
    The Gluten Intolerance Group of North America on Iodine and Dermatitis Herpetiformis - Celiac.com

CW is the term we frequently use over here at Marks Daily Apple that means "Conventional Wisdom" Bullshit, such as Eating Whole Grains is GOOD FOR YOU.

Were you able to post a message at the Dr. Kruse forum? He fixed my problem. Yours should also be fixed.

Grizz

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.

If you are posting here at MDA, I would assume that you are not of opinion that peer-reviewed medical articles that cholesterol is bad for you. There is a time and place for the CW of peer-reviewed medical articles published in scientific journals with strict editorial policies.
    So far I have not found them and am enough of a skeptic to question everything my doctor does to the point he discharged me as a patient. Now I am doctor shopping. I have only found one down with the changes that have gotten me off of diabetes medication and are getting me off from blood pressure meds.

Science is a wonderful field of discovery. And they are constantly discovering new facts and changing old ones. Just pay attention to the morning news and how often they report coffee is good or bad for you. That will make you a skeptic.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John