Page 282 of 415 FirstFirst ... 182232272280281282283284292332382 ... LastLast
Results 2,811 to 2,820 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 282

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Skootching butts is from impacted anal glands, which aren't draining normally. Maybe the iodine is helping that.
    Here's an explanation:
    Anal Sac Disease
    Can also be worms or attention seeking behaviour..

My MIL's king Charles is in the last catigory.. he likes to do it when there are visitors.. embareses the heck out of MIL.. (& yes hes been checked at the vets several times.. no AG problems, no worms, nothing else....he just does it for the "horified" attention of MIL)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    I want to try taking iodine as I suspect my low carbing is affecting my thyroid (to be honest, I think I've had a less than optimal thyroid function for a really long time).

However, I get a recurring rash on my lower leg that I have long suspected is DH (linked with celiacs). I haven't had this confirmed (I plan on getting a referral and talking to a dermatologist about it as my regular doctor is stumped by the rash), but if it is that, then apparently Iodine can actually worsen the rash. See The Gluten Intolerance Group of North America on Iodine and Dermatitis Herpetiformis - Celiac.com

Does anyone know about this? If so, how long do I need to be gluten free, and rash free, before it could be safe to take iodine? I am rash free right now and have been for about a month I believe.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Meegads View Post
    Does canned fish count? I eat canned tuna and salmon several times a week.
    Both are seafoods, and will certainly help. You can't take too much iodine. What your body doesn't use goes out in the urine. I suggest you read articles by Dr. Brownstein and make up your own mind on how much iodine you need. I have collected all of his articles in "Iodine References."

Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    I want to try taking iodine as I suspect my low carbing is affecting my thyroid (to be honest, I think I've had a less than optimal thyroid function for a really long time).

However, I get a recurring rash on my lower leg that I have long suspected is DH (linked with celiacs). I haven't had this confirmed (I plan on getting a referral and talking to a dermatologist about it as my regular doctor is stumped by the rash), but if it is that, then apparently Iodine can actually worsen the rash. See The Gluten Intolerance Group of North America on Iodine and Dermatitis Herpetiformis - Celiac.com

Does anyone know about this? If so, how long do I need to be gluten free, and rash free, before it could be safe to take iodine? I am rash free right now and have been for about a month I believe.
    This is a very simple decision. Iodine is required by every cell in your body especially your thyroid & sex organs, and you cannot take too much iodine. Rashes are caused by toxic halogen poisoning, things like bromide, fluoride, chlorine that are in our water & food supplies. Iodine detoxes these poisons.

For more, study Iodine References:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references

Grizz

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Skootching butts is from impacted anal glands, which aren't draining normally. Maybe the iodine is helping that.
    Here's an explanation:
    Anal Sac Disease
    Oh, that is right. She is due to be groomed where they take care of that. (Thumps head) DOH!
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    But it specifically says that iodine, by improving immunity, only serves to make people with DHs body "attack" the gluten more, making the rash worsen?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering if you actually read the article?
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    But it specifically says that iodine, by improving immunity, only serves to make people with DHs body "attack" the gluten more, making the rash worsen?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just wondering if you actually read the article?
    nixxy,

Yes, I've read the article. Here is exactly where nearly everyone goes wrong, many doctors included. Iodine does not cause the skin rashes, pimples, bloat, dermatitis & etc. Iodine causes the the toxic poisons that have built up in our body over our lifetime to exit into the bloodstream. Iodine detoxes the body of bromide, fluoride, & chlorine. When more toxins get into the bloodstream than our liver can handle, we get rash & skin problems. When first starting out on iodine, we must start with LESS than 1/2mg and SLOOOWLY build up the dosage to avoid toxic skin reactions from the toxins being released into the bloodstream. We must also take the REQUIRED supplements to help the liver & kidneys dispose of the toxins.

Dr. Brownstein suggests slowly titrating up to 50 mg of iodine with required supplements daily to detox our bodies of halide poisons.
    Iodine deficiencies & dosages
    The above is a great article that explains nearly everything quite well.

I have been at 50mg daily for the past month.

Here is the question you need to answer for yourself. Would you rather have toxic poisons in every cell of your body, or would you rather have iodine in every cell in your body. The poisons cause disease & cancer, the iodine keeps you healthy and prevents disease & cancer. You must be VERY careful who you believe on the subject of iodine, because there is a great deal of BAD and misleading information about iodine.

The mineral iodine is known to make the disease (dermatitis herpetiformis) worse. For this reason, foods and supplements high in iodine should be avoided. Table salt which is not iodized should be used. This can be found in most grocery stores with the other salts. Avoid kelp and other seaweed products, and do not use sea salt. If you take any nutritional supplements, examine them carefully to avoid any iodine containing ingredients.
    The Gluten Intolerance Group of North America on Iodine and Dermatitis Herpetiformis - Celiac.com
    Seriously, IMO this BS is a guaranteed recipe for severe hypothyroidism, goiter, Fibrocystic Breast Disease, PCOS, Cysts, Endometriosis, Prostate problems and all of the related cancers. Iodine is an absolute requirement for good health. You simply cannot eliminate iodine from your diet and remain healthy. Iodine is not optional for human health.

Iodine here is not your enemy. GLUTEN is the enemy and causes celiac disease and your DH. Are you absolutely certain that you have dermatitis herpetiformis ? Are you certain that you have celiac disease? If I were you, I would find other ways of fighting your celiac disease.

I suggest that you spend a lot of quality time here at Curezone:
    Re: how long iodine can affect skin? at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1621868)
    When the deposits of IgA have been cleared from the skin over time by following a gluten free diet, iodine should no longer present any problem for dermatitis herpetiformis patients.
    I would MUCH rather give up all forms of gluten instead of iodine. You might get the book, "Wheat Belly" by Dr. Davis. He goes into great detail about Celiac Disease & gluten sensitivity. You may be required to avoid everything containing gluten like the plague. This of course will require a STRICT paleo low carb diet. Gluten free substitutes are are bad for your health. Just the basic Paleo for your diet. Meat, fish, veggies, nuts, fruits. ZERO GLUTEN for you!

Please keep us informed of your condition.
    Would anyone else like to chime in for nixxy's celiac disease?

Bottom line:
    Is it REALLY the iodine that aggravates DH or is the the toxins released by the iodine that aggravates DH? In any event, just don't eat gluten and the problems is solved.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 06-07-2012 at 08:57 AM.

LynneF is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meegads View Post
    Does canned fish count? I eat canned tuna and salmon several times a week.
    Meegads,

You would have to eat four pounds of fresh ocean fish per day plus several pounds of iodized salt to equal the recommended supplemental iodine dosage. Most of us just aren't that hungry.

Or, you could try eating specific, iodine-rich varieties of seaweed five times per day ---but since most all seaweed is now contaminated with radiation, arsenic and pesticides, you would have to personally hire a lab to test each batch.

Important to note is that we're not innately iodine deficient. We are iodine deficient because iodine has been purged from our cells by bromide exposure, especially since the 1970s. Consumption of brominated flour combined with the ubiquitous exposure to environmental bromides from fire retardants are the main culprits in depleting iodine. Read this The Bromide Dominance Theory

Good luck, Lynne
    Last edited by LynneF; 06-07-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Can also be worms or attention seeking behaviour..

My MIL's king Charles is in the last catigory.. he likes to do it when there are visitors.. embareses the heck out of MIL.. (& yes hes been checked at the vets several times.. no AG problems, no worms, nothing else....he just does it for the "horified" attention of MIL)

Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    Oh, that is right. She is due to be groomed where they take care of that. (Thumps head) DOH!
    My sister is a groomer, and she does that too. It shows how bad off dogs are health-wise, since their glands are supposed to empty every time they have a bowel movement. I suspect it's the commercial dog food, which is as bad for them as the Standard American Diet is for us.

Nixxy, I don't have celiac's, but I am gluten-sensitive, have one gene for gluten sensitivity and one for celiac's, and have been gluten-free for two years. The linked article says that iodine CAN trigger eruptions of DH, but doesn't necessarily do so. I would make sure to take 200mg/day of selenium for a few months before trying iodine, in the same way someone with Hashimoto's (thyroid autoimmune disease) needs to take selenium before trying thyroid meds or iodine. In fact, I would take all of the suggested supplements for a few months before iodine. And then take it very slowly to see if it aggravated the DH. The article says that DH clears up on a gluten-free diet after a few months or up to 2 years, after which iodine is ok. How long have you been gluten free? It may be that you'll have to wait until yours is cleared up to try iodine supplements.

In reading the comments after the article, many of the people think there is iodine in salt in prepackaged foods. There is usually no iodine, as the salt in the ingredients must be labeled "iodized salt". In all my years of reading labels, I have only found one product labelled that way.

Dr. Kruse and many others believe autoimmune diseases are the result of leaky guts, which need to be healed to be fully cured.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Dr. Brownstein has answered your question. There is no toxicity from iodine. The body uses whatever it wants and the rest goes out into the urine. He has used doses of 300mg daily on cancer patients.
    Thanks. I also found this: Environmental Health Perspectives: Use of Iodine for Water Disinfection: Iodine Toxicity and Maximum Recommended Dose which, in the context of iodine for water treatment, says that long-term iodine intake in the milligram range is fine (there are changes to the thyroid hormone levels but nothing clinically significant), but there may be concerns with goitres developing after more than three months of supplementation in the tens of milligrams range though notes that some studies have shown this and some haven't, and speculates that Something Else might be going on. The paper that did show goitre with high levels of iodine was published in 1998, and dealt with US volunteers working in Niger. I can't find anything about the other two, which seem to be too old for PubMed, being published in the fifties.