Page 245 of 415 FirstFirst ... 145195235243244245246247255295345 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,450 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 245

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm convinced after reading a lot of that stuff that she's not over the edge into true hyperthyroid (autoimmune).

I think she's in a sort of last-ditch limbo where she's swinging back and forth between symptoms of hypo- and hyper- as her thyroid tries desperately to regulate itself before giving up totally.

Her last set of blood tests showed that her Progesterone levels were low. I'm pretty convinced iodine is the answer.

She's been very diligent in taking her ATP cofactors, magnesium, vitamin C, and 2 brazil nuts/day.

She hates drinking salt water, but I've been pushing her to drink some grass-fed beef stock every day, and I'm putting the salt in that.

Like I said, she experienced some bromoderma on 1/8 drop, so we backed off a few days and did a few rounds of salt flush, then dropped her to 1/10. She's been okay for close to 2 weeks, and I plan to jack her dose back up to 1/8 in the next few days. If she tolerates that well, I think I'll successively double the dose every 10 days - 2 weeks just to be extra cautious.

I know you insist on the care of a doctor, and I know you mean well. We're going to have to agree to disagree on the necessity of a "professional" to oversee this process.
    Rich,
    You are making a great deal of progress and you are to be commended. 2-Brazil Nuts may not be enough for your GF, because the selenium content varies so widely from one nut to the next. Selenium is vital for hyperthyroid, and I think she should move up to the selenium capsules, the L-selenomethionine is preferred. I have several articles in the chapter Selenium that explains why it is so very important.

Your plans look excellent. Your GF will love you for your extra special diligence.
    Grizz

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member
    So today I added 1/4 teaspoon to my 1 to 1.5 quarts of lemon water and I didn't even notice it! I also added extra salt to my omelette which then tasted too salty compared to the lemon water which tasted no different with the salt. On a related note, I was digging through a huge stack of recipes for an upcoming grad party and came across a recipe for Lemonade or Limeade which called for Sea Salt in it! It actually said: "Salt in my lemonade??" "I know it may sound strange, but it's a common addition in some parts of the world. It not only adds depth of flavor to the lemonade or limeade without making it taste salty, the sea salt turns it into a natural 'gatorade' by providing extra hydrating properties, actually helping your cells absorb the water."

I have been drinking about 3/4 cup fresh squeezed organic lemon juice (juice of 3-4 lemons) in about 1 to 1.5 quarts of distilled water each day as a liver cleanse while I detox mercury and bromides. I've been doing this fairly consistently for about 3 weeks. My weight has been unusally stable for me (the reason I ended up on the MDA site in the first place--weight issues) and I've been feeling very good. I also add about 8 level tiny scoops of Kal Stevia to the lemonade and drink it over ice. I then use this lemonade to get down all of my supplements each morning. I finally concluded that toxicity from heavy metals and bromides (affecting my thyroid and hormones) is the reason I've struggled with my weight for so long. I'm really hoping that this is the key to finally normalizing my life & health.

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member
    I'm convinced after reading a lot of that stuff that she's not over the edge into true hyperthyroid (autoimmune).

I think she's in a sort of last-ditch limbo where she's swinging back and forth between symptoms of hypo- and hyper- as her thyroid tries desperately to regulate itself before giving up totally.

Her last set of blood tests showed that her Progesterone levels were low. I'm pretty convinced iodine is the answer.

She's been very diligent in taking her ATP cofactors, magnesium, vitamin C, and 2 brazil nuts/day.

She hates drinking salt water, but I've been pushing her to drink some grass-fed beef stock every day, and I'm putting the salt in that.

Like I said, she experienced some bromoderma on 1/8 drop, so we backed off a few days and did a few rounds of salt flush, then dropped her to 1/10. She's been okay for close to 2 weeks, and I plan to jack her dose back up to 1/8 in the next few days. If she tolerates that well, I think I'll successively double the dose every 10 days - 2 weeks just to be extra cautious.

I know you insist on the care of a doctor, and I know you mean well. We're going to have to agree to disagree on the necessity of a "professional" to oversee this process.
    Amazing how 2 different doctors can look at the same thyroid test results and get 2 different opinions, eh? If you go to StopTheThyroidMadness.com you can read more about this. Most doctors ONLY look at the TSH number which is virtually useless in diagnosing hypothyroidism. I am not as versed in reading the test results as others are on this site, but there is a formula an educated doctor will use that involves the Free T3 & T4 numbers in relation to the TSH number. There is a calculator on STTM site that assists in figuring this out. If the calculation is below 20, then you are hypo even with the lower TSH number. Wish I could explain it better than this. Of you could post the test results and see if someone here can help you with it. But then you'll know which doctor you're seeing really knows what he's talking about and which one isn't as versed in thyroid as you need him to be at this time. Your TSH numbers can change from one minute to the next too so you need to look at the Free T3/T4 numbers more carefully. Those tell you what is available for your body to use when needed.

I was hypothyroid for YEARS without getting a proper diagnosis due to the damm TSH test. I was even diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and given a 30% full body disability following a work injury which I now believe damaged my thyroid. Now I am almost normal again and my Fibromyalgia is GONE from addressing my thyroid first with T3 and now also with Iodoral. And with my iodine deficiency, I am also dealing with excessive Estrogen and low Progesterone. And also my body is acidic and I have systemic Candida which are also connected to too little iodine and iodide. But I continue to improve so it's all been worth it!

Take it slow for best results. You don't want her to end up giving up on this effective protocol just because of uncomfortable symptoms from going too fast.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    Hi Grizz,

So if you're just taking the 1/2 tsp of salt in the morning (and not doing the salt flush), does it not matter if you follow it with 16 oz of water?
    I decided to try giving the salt in the morning another shot and did it by the book - 1/2 tsp. in 1/2 cup of warm water, followed by 16 oz of pure water.
    I know that's the same as the flush, but I still thought that was how it should be taken in the morning as well.

Despite titrating extremely slowly, I still seem to be experiencing bloat. There's no more evidence of broderma though, thankfully. And no pimples on my face. Just bloat. I'm currently drinking 2 ounces of 1 drop of 5% Lugol's in 8 oz of water (started off with one ounce for quite awhile, and even did some pulsing with that before moving up to 2 ounces).
    I'm wondering if I should take a few days off, and then go to square 1 - 1 ounce daily of 1 drop Lugol's in 16 oz of water (doubling the water since it's double the dose of Lugol's).
    Or if I might be better off doing an every other day dosing for now, so my kidneys have a chance to get rid of the extra toxins.

I'm frustrated, because I've been dealing with bloat since September of last year, which I believe is related to the Interstitial Cystitis that I had symptoms of. I was hoping that the iodine supplementation would help with that, but so far, it's only been making the bloating worse. I know I've got to go low and slow here, but it's frustrating to not be able to increase my dose at all yet, and I've been supplementing since the end of March.

Despite thinking I hadn't seen any benefits of iodine yet, I noticed in the last few days that my eyelashes look decidedly thicker and fuller. That's not a normal thing for me, so I'm thinking it's due to the iodine! Small triumphs...
    PaleoGirl,
    You are showing progress. Getting rid of the Bromoderma was a major win, and your eyelashes coming back is another great sign, I think we can agree that you have passed through the worst of your detox symptoms. Are you taking ALL of your required supplments?
    - - tsp Natural Celtic Salt
    - - 200 mcg selenium (L-selenomethionine preferred)
    - - 400 mcg Magnesium - Glycinate preferred
    - - 2,000mg Vitamin C - Ester-C preferred
    - - ATP Cofactors - contains B2 & B3 in the correct ratio
    IMO, I think you should go forward on your iodine supplements and increase the dosage slightly each week. If you get any more detox symptoms, then salt flush, go back to a prior dosage and pulse dose a few times. However you are properly titrating slow enough that I really don't think you will see any more detox illness. We need to get your dosage up high enough to help correct your IC. Which is worse, a few temporary detox symptoms or the pain of your IC? Getting your iodine levels high enough to send iodine into the urine is said to help IC.

You are just too attractive to be suffering from IC - grrrr. I feel for you, as I've heard from a friend how bad IC can get. His wife has IC and they spend over $3,000 a year on medications for it. I've done some research for him on IC. It is an autoimmune disease where the body attacks the walls of the bladder. Like all autoimmune diseases we need to fix the immune system. Iodine is certainly a great step in the right direction. Are you also taking Vitamin D3? Most folks need 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 Gelcaps (with olive oil ) to get their 25(oh)D blood level up to 70 to 100 ng/ml optimum. Vitamin D3 is essential for your immune system. You ca get the at-home blood test kit for $65 - see below my sig line.

Then we have LDN the MIRACLE DRUG that boosts the immune system.
    See this link for my notes on LDN: Dr. Kruse was ranting over LDN in his monster thread, and I saved all the comments, which I thought were too valuable to be lost in that giant message thread.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post739097

It takes weeks to get approved to this web site, but I managed to get in.
    lowdosenaltrexone : Low Dose Naltrexone
    Notice how closely the photos match your IC ! And this was cured by LDN. LDN is really a miracle drug, fully equivalent to the discovery of Penicillin.
    Here are a few of the messages I found at the LDN Yahoo Group:
    Here is what they have on IC.There are 155 more screens referring to IC, so here is just the 1st few.
    They discuss dosage, titrating up, where to get LDN etc.

Q) i know everyone is different but i was just curious if LDN can bring remission
    to autoimmune disorders and/or how much it helps and how soon? i would love any
    feedback..thanks!!!!
    Margreet from the Netherlands

A) I have intersttial cystitis
    http://www.methedoctor.com/autoimmun...l-cystitis.htm
    and was in a lot of pain....after 8/9 months on LDN the pain/inflammation was
    gone. Still painfree one year later

Good Morning to All of You:
    I am pretty new to LDN (about 5 weeks now) and I am noticing some pretty amazing results. I sleep better, my mood and energy level is improved and I am loving life again. I have a troublesome autoimmune disorder called interstitial cystitis (a painful bladder condition that has been recalcitrant to treatment). Recently my naturopath recommended LDN 4.5 mg to see if that would help me. Low and behold, along with other treatments I had already been doing, my condition shows improvement. I have had this condition for 20 years and my urologist just treats the symptoms. I am sure the LDN is responsible for this recent improvement overall.
    So if your MD does not prescribe LDN, maybe you could research a naturopath in your area to see if they would be willing to do so. Also finding a pharmacy that does compounding might be helpful as not all pharmacies do that.
    Sandy
    Then we have Coconut Oil that has helped some:
    Vestiges of Interstitial Cystitis - while I was never formally diagnosed, I had all of the symptoms (all of the symptoms of a UTI with consistently negative cultures), following some back to back UTIs and a compromised immune system. Oddly enough, I started supplementing with coconut oil and the irritation and urgency went away. I knew it was the coconut oil, because if I only took it once a day, the symptoms would be back within 12 hours. I began taking 3 tbsp spread out throughout the day and all of the UTI-like symptoms went away completely.
    ==============================
    the main foods/ingredients that can irritate the bladder and cause inflammation include caffeine from tea, coffee, cola and chocolate; spices, like chilli; sugar; artificial sweeteners; oranges; tomatoes and alcohol. She then went on to talk about some of the foods and ingredients which can calm irritation and are naturally anti-inflammatory. These included oily fish, nuts and seeds, avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, walnut oil, turmeric and ginger.

I am beginning to believe that interstitial cystitis is a bogus diagnosis that thousands of MDs have earned a pretty penny off of - in fact - entire medical fields have opened due to this diagnosis. I think all women with this should try coconuts before they spend another dime! I know the frustrations - I have been to the best urogynes and urologists - Northwestern in Chicago since I was a teenager and in California. I have had my urethra widened twice, - I have been tortured like so many other women; missed life events, canceled trips, spent many days in the ER with flares - not too mention the $$$ spent! AND ALL THIS TIME -- COCONUTS WOULD HAVE SOLVED MY PAIN. I MUST TELL EVERY WOMAN!!!!"

There are many thousands more links. Google "interstitial cystitis and coconut oil"
    I hope this helps,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 05-17-2012 at 12:59 PM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Rich,
    You are making a great deal of progress and you are to be commended. 2-Brazil Nuts may not be enough for your GF, because the selenium content varies so widely from one nut to the next. Selenium is vital for hyperthyroid, and I think she should move up to the selenium capsules, the L-selenomethionine is preferred. I have several articles in the chapter Selenium that explains why it is so very important.

Your plans look excellent. Your GF will love you for your extra special diligence.
    Grizz
    Interesting about the variance of selenium content in the Brazil nuts. I also want to get her an ascorbate form of the vitamin C, because I'd like to get her taking more than she is, but worry about upset stomach from ascorbic acid, which is what we currently have. Once we use up our 2-pound bag of Brazil nuts and our large jar of vitamin C, I'll get the better stuff. Maybe it will be time to order Iodoral by then and we can get the free shipping!

I don't really care whether she's hyper- or hypo-, to be honest. From my readings of her tests, she's not converting T3 to T4 very well, and that's causing things to go haywire (e.g. estrogen-dominance, thyroid nodules, recurring viral infections, tiny wart-like growths on existing scars, etc.).

In either case, I'm hopeful that getting her iodine levels up to where they're supposed to be will save her from the future of hysterectomies and various cancers that seem to plague the women in her family. I just hope it's not too late!

Grizz is offline Banned
    Interesting about the variance of selenium content in the Brazil nuts. I also want to get her an ascorbate form of the vitamin C, because I'd like to get her taking more than she is, but worry about upset stomach from ascorbic acid, which is what we currently have. Once we use up our 2-pound bag of Brazil nuts and our large jar of vitamin C, I'll get the better stuff. Maybe it will be time to order Iodoral by then and we can get the free shipping!

I don't really care whether she's hyper- or hypo-, to be honest. From my readings of her tests, she's not converting T3 to T4 very well, and that's causing things to go haywire (e.g. estrogen-dominance, thyroid nodules, recurring viral infections, tiny wart-like growths on existing scars, etc.).

In either case, I'm hopeful that getting her iodine levels up to where they're supposed to be will save her from the future of hysterectomies and various cancers that seem to plague the women in her family. I just hope it's not too late!
    Rich,
    I'm afraid to say it is not just your GF and her family, 90% of women in the USA are suffering with Fibrocystic Breasts according to doctors on my Iodine References, not even to speak of MILLIONS suffering from PCOS, Endometriosis, Cysts and thyroid problems, all caused by severe iodine deficiency. This is why I created that "Iodine References," we need to pass that document on to EVERYONE we know to get the word out.

PS)
    I take 3 brazil nuts a day, and if they are small then I take 4.

Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    Hi Grizz,

So if you're just taking the 1/2 tsp of salt in the morning (and not doing the salt flush), does it not matter if you follow it with 16 oz of water?
    I decided to try giving the salt in the morning another shot and did it by the book - 1/2 tsp. in 1/2 cup of warm water, followed by 16 oz of pure water.
    I know that's the same as the flush, but I still thought that was how it should be taken in the morning as well.

Despite titrating extremely slowly, I still seem to be experiencing bloat. There's no more evidence of broderma though, thankfully. And no pimples on my face. Just bloat. I'm currently drinking 2 ounces of 1 drop of 5% Lugol's in 8 oz of water (started off with one ounce for quite awhile, and even did some pulsing with that before moving up to 2 ounces).
    I'm wondering if I should take a few days off, and then go to square 1 - 1 ounce daily of 1 drop Lugol's in 16 oz of water (doubling the water since it's double the dose of Lugol's).
    Or if I might be better off doing an every other day dosing for now, so my kidneys have a chance to get rid of the extra toxins.

I'm frustrated, because I've been dealing with bloat since September of last year, which I believe is related to the Interstitial Cystitis that I had symptoms of. I was hoping that the iodine supplementation would help with that, but so far, it's only been making the bloating worse. I know I've got to go low and slow here, but it's frustrating to not be able to increase my dose at all yet, and I've been supplementing since the end of March.

Despite thinking I hadn't seen any benefits of iodine yet, I noticed in the last few days that my eyelashes look decidedly thicker and fuller. That's not a normal thing for me, so I'm thinking it's due to the iodine! Small triumphs...
    PaleoGirl,
    Here are some more of my notes on IC:
    I hit the jackpot ! My best & most reliable sources of information provides this:
    1) drinking baking soda mixed in water will alkalize your urine & help cure bladder infections

2) D-mannose is a kind of sugar that is related to glucose.
    D-mannose is used for preventing urinary tract infections (UTIs) and treating carbohydrate-deficient glycoprotein syndrome, an inherited metabolic disorder.
    How does it work?
    D-mannose treats the deficiency caused by a genetic defect that causes abnormal breakdown and production of mannose. D-mannose might prevent certain kinds of bacteria from sticking to the walls of the urinary tract and causing infection.

RE: [iodine] Bladder infection
    I and many people I know have used D-Mannose for bladder infections. It's
    the most excellent cure. For people who are prone to getting them, a
    maintenance dose of it can prevent infections for the long haul.

I keep it on hand and recommend that others do so as well since the earlier
    treatment is started, the easier it is to get rid of a bladder infection.

The way D-Mannose works: It's a simple carbohydrate that makes the lining
    of the bladder and ureters more slippery, so the bacteria cannot get a
    foothold. The bacteria are washed out of the body instead of lodging in
    the body and multiplying. D-Mannose does not kill bacteria, and therefore
    it does not cause imbalances in the body and does not harm the probiotic
    cultures in our intestines. So it's the preferred treatment.

Some people with interstitial cystitis have found relief with D-Mannose,
    even though it's not "supposed" to work for that. My thinking is that we
    simply don't know all the mechanisms at work.

D-Mannose takes away bladder infections up to 90% of the time.
    1 Gram Pills here:
    Buy Solaray D-Mannose w/CranActin 1000mg & More | drugstore.com
    Powder:
    Now Foods, D-Mannose Powder, 3 oz (85 g) - iHerb.com
    --Victoria
    >D-Mannose works well as long as the infection is from e-coli, which most
    >bladder infections are (about 90%). However, you must take enough of it
    >to work. At least 1-2.5 GRAMS every 3 (waking) hours for 2-3 days and
    >then, if symptoms are relieved, I recommend a maintenance dose of 1 gram
    >3x daily for three more days. Drinking cranberry juice is good (as long
    >as it is pure cranberry juice and not laden with sugar); however, what
    >makes it sometimes work is the D-Mannose that it contains. Peaches,
    >apples and blueberries also contain D-Mannose. Cranberry juice does not
    >contain as high amount of D-Mannose as taking 1-2.5 GRAMS daily which is
    >why, for some people, it does not work well. If you get a capsule form of
    >D-Mannose make sure it doesn’t contain a lot of excipients. This is
    >usually not a concern with the D-Mannose powder does not contain the
    >excipients.
    >
    >Drinking a lot of purified water (not bottled in plastic) is also
    >necessary. Women are especially prone to bladder infections because the
    >bowel opening is close to the urethra. If the urethra becomes
    >contaminated with bowel (e-coli), it can travel up the urethra and into
    >the bladder, causing inflammation. The urethra in women is also a lot
    >shorter than in men and thus transit to the bladder is easier.
    >Some everyday activities can cause bowel germs to enter the urethra. Those
    >include:
    > * For women, wiping incorrectly from back to front after a bowel
    > movement. Always wipe from front to back and make sure you are wiping
    > effectively. Sometimes the pre-moistened towels are a good idea and can
    > be enhanced if you spray an effective colloidal silver on them.
    > * Sexual intercourse or other activities that push germs into the
    > bladder. Make sure to always urinate after intercourse.
    > * Insertion of instruments into the urinary tract, such as a catheter,
    > etc.
    > * Infrequent urination in both men and women. "Holding it in" causes
    > urine to stagnate, which helps bacteria flourish and grow.
    > * Skin allergies. Some women are allergic to ingredients in vaginal
    > creams, soaps, bath products, or other products used in the perineal
    > area. Many of these products are not pH neutral and those can cause
    > irritation.
    > * Lowered resistance. The body's natural defenses can be lowered from
    > colds, flu, stress, or other causes – especially during this time of year.
    > * Incomplete emptying of the bladder. Many conditions can block urine
    > flow and prevent the bladder from emptying completely, such as kidney stones.
    > * Changes in normal acidity of vaginal fluid, such as after a douche.
    > Women should not douche unless directed to do so by a doctor.
    >If you do not experience at least some relief in 36 hours then please go
    >to your healthcare professional.
    >Be Well
    >Dr.L

There are simple things you can do to help promote a health urinary tract, including:

Drink plenty of water every day – this dilutes your urine and helps you regularly flush your system.
    Urinate when you feel the need. Don't resist the urge to go.
    For women, wipe from front to back, and use unscented and unbleached toilet paper as many women react to the dyes and chemicals in other toilet papers.
    Take showers instead of baths.
    Cleanse your genital area prior to and after sexual intercourse, or better yet use a bidet.
    Avoid feminine deodorant sprays, douches, and powders that can lead to irritation of the urethra and genitals.
    Only use natural cotton sanitary napkins and tampons. 97% of women believe they are made of cotton, but the truth is LESS THAN one percent actually is.

200mcg of selenium daily needed to combat selenium deficiency

CA overgrowth should be suspected in people presenting one or more than one of the following complaints and symptoms: Fatigue or lethargy, feeling of being drained, depression or manic depression, numbness, burning, or tingling, headaches, muscle aches, muscle weakness or paralysis, pain and/or swelling in joints, abdominal Pain, constipation and/or diarrhea, bloating, belching, intestinal gas, troublesome vaginal burning, itching or discharge in women, prostate swelling and/or pain in men, impotence, loss of sexual desire or feeling, infertility, cramps and/or other menstrual irregularities, premenstrual tension, attacks of anxiety or crying, cold hands or feet, low body temperature, shaking or irritable when hungry, cystitis or interstitial cystitis, drowsiness, irritability, poor coordination, frequent mood swings, insomnia, dizziness, loss of balance, pressure above ears, feeling of head swelling, sinus problems, tenderness of cheekbones or forehead, tendency to bruise easy, eczema, itching eyes, psoriasis, chronic hives, indigestion or heartburn, sensitivity to milk, wheat, corn or other common foods, mucous in stools, rectal itching, dry mouth or throat, mouth rashes, white tongue, bad breath, foot, hair, or body odor not relieved by washing, nasal congestion or post nasal drip, nasal itching, sore throat.
    One last thing, this works but is obscenely expensive:
    It is an inflammation of the bladder. There are several websites that discuss this disease. If my wife doesn't take the Elmiron, she has severe pain. That is the only drug that has helped her. It is very expensive. Our part which is one-half of the cost and that is $275 a month.
    I'm hopeful we can come up with a far less expensive treatment than Elmiron.

When did you first get IC, and what have you done for it in the past?

After I've had my 1st cup of coffee with the salt, I'm drinking liquids for the rest of the day, but I like how you are doing it. I think you are getting a better result.

Hope this helps,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 05-18-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Gems from the Internet

Iodine Deficiency Horror Story Can anyone beat THIS story?
    ============================================
    I have been reading this forum since the end of last year. The information that I found here has helped me so much! I learned a lot by reading how people reacted to taking Iodine and how they dealt with the detox. Thank you al so much! So, here's my story. I hope it isn't too long!

I have been hypothyroid since I was 24. It started really slowly: just tiredness at first. After five years or so I started to become emotionally unstable. I was paranoid, frightened, scared and unhappy. A friend said to me: “You’re always tired”. And I was...
    Still, I didn’t really realise how much more tired I was than any healthy person was. The decline was so gradual.

I got worse and worse... I was in a lot of pain. Everything hurt. My joints, my muscles, my insides, ... , everything. And I was always sooo tired. I didn’t want to do anything. Not go to birthdays, no walks, no nothing.

Symptoms:
    Allergies (hey fever, mites allergy, cannot tolerate parfume, suspected Hashimoto’s); bad candida infection (vagina, gut and mouth); menstrual pains (uturus, lowerback radiating to whole back and shoulders and neck); outer eyebrows gone; burn easily in the sun, hearing is bad especially in groups; tinnitis; bad memory (shortterm and longterm): I cannot leave a pan on the stove and go do something else: it burnes; treamors in eye lid; fastness of thinking impaired: I cannot follow a conversation / movie / book; cannot concentrate; underside of feet hurt; all joints feel like they are burning; gut hurts (even worse when pressed); the slightest physical excercise or house work results in rapid heart beat, profuse sweating, red face, muscle pain and inflamed tendons; ganglion on back of hand; pain in left knee (other than the burning sensation); nose and throat tonsils and lungs inflamed at a regular basis (once an month); weight gain (my heaviest was 95 kilo’s); cannot tolerate carbs (not even full grain, not even beans); out of breath after taking three steps on the stairs; cold sore on lower lip (has been so big as to reach my jawbone); depression (actually had a test done as part of some other tests by a doctor and it was confirmed); moodswings. Well, and then a lot that I’m forgetting right now ....

During that period I have been to a doctor a few times. He told me to just take it more slowly.

At the age of 34 I weighed 95 kilo’s, was always tired, was bloated, in pain all the time, couldn’t tolerate any carbs (by then I was on Atkins because carbs made my heart race and made me feel as if I would die), couldn’t think straight, was unreasonable and had dark clouds in my head (that’s what the depression felt like).

I again went to a doctor (I had just moved, so it was a different one this time). He again told me to take it easy. I replied that, if I took it any more easy then I was doing now, I might as well go and lay in my coffin right away. I started to cry out of frustration (first time I did that, I never cried). Probably to get rid of me he “allowed” me to have my blood tested. When the results came back it was clear that I was hypothyroid. I was so releived that they found something (little did I know..).

At the age of 34 I was placed on thyroid hormone, T4 only. This doctor knew very little about thyroid illnesses and put me on a high dosis immediately. I fell extremely ill from that: I couldn’t walk a mile. Any excertion would make me breathless, and in extreme pain. At that point I could not work anymore. My boss at the time was very understanding (until then I hadn’t called in sick very often, I simply went to bed straight out of work). I couldn’t work for a whole year. I just lay on the couch or in bed and felt miserable.

After a year I felt about as bad as I did before I started the T4. I started working again. Still had to get to bed as soon as I got home. I read a lot about Hypo-T and decided I wanted to try the dessicated form of thyroid meds. My doctor said that those kind of meds were too unreliable. So then I asked to be allowed to take T3 instead (alongside the T4). He thought that was nonsence too. But this time I was determined and I asked to be sent to a specialist (in Holland you have to have a referral). I had researched to which doctor I wanted to go, and he relented. The specialist thought T3 was nonsence too, but gave it to me anyway.

The T3 gave me back my capacity to think. It also made me feel less cold. The first time I took T3, some kind of electric pulse shot to my toes, fingers and head. It helped a lot. The other symptoms remained though...

Through the years I had to up my T4 from 100 mcg to 137 mcg. My TSH was no longer measurable. Doc said I was hyper. I disagreed and said I was hypo. I still had the classic signs of hypo (cold, ...) and none of the hyper.

My list of symptoms was still the same and I got progressively worse. I would get ill every month. It always started with my nose tonsils, then the throat tonsils, and then my lungs. I would be rid of it only one week in the month. It exausted me. I also still had the tiredness, the pain in my joints, the fog in my brain (better after T3, but not resolved), .... I had to be in bed by 20:00 and sleep to 6:30 to not get sick and have a little energy.

I always kept reading a lot about hypo-T, hoping to find something I could do myself. And to be honest: to get out of the grip of my GP, who was trying to get me to lower my T4.

I discovered I had a mercury poisoning (someone told me that mercury could be a problem, I researched and it did tick a lot of my boxes). I started taking selenium for that. Selenium meed me feel happier and think more clearly. Reading about mercury poisoning let me to iodine. I started taking kelp, but it didn’t do much for me. Then I found Curezone in oktober 2011.

In november 2011 I started on Lugol’s (bought online on Ebay). I took 50 mg twice a day. I got hyper, and I lowered my T4 dose accordingly. The effect was temporary though and I upped to the original dose again (back to 137 mcg). This was such a disapointment! Then I read dr. Brownsteins book where he said that it might take up to three years to see any significant improvement in the thyroid. So I had to be patient (which I am not :-)). I also started to gain weight.

My candida really hated the Lugol’s (and because of that I loved it). I also took the accompanying supps.

After reading a lot on Curezone, I decided to up my Iodide by taking SKII. Now I took 100 mg of Lugol’s and 50 mg of SKII. Again I got hyper, lowered my T4. This time I didn’t need to up it back! I was now on 125 mcg/day T4. I also still take my T3. I don’t lower that, it has a half-time of a day, whereas the T4 has a half-time of a week.

28th feb 2012: I am now on 150 mg Lugol’s and 300 mg SKII daily since the start of february. I haven’t taken any medication for three weeks now. The remaining blood dosage is now 400 (started on 1450), so there’s almost no medication left in my body. Manganese, copper and B12 are also important to me. A lot is happening to my body:

Spots on my hands are disappearing. My allergies are gone. Pain in left knee is about half as bad as it used to be. Losing weight, but more than that: my body is starting to look different. Face is not puffy anymore. My muscle strength is coming back. I’m soooo much happier! My head is wonderfully clear. My feet do not hurt anymore. Hart rate has gone down (except when I’m hyper ofcourse). I love going on a visit now. I have much more energy, and when I get tired, I just sit down for 15 minutes and then I’m ready to go again. When hypo-T, resting didn’t make any difference. Joints don’t burn anymore. Tonsollitis is much better, but not resolved. I walked up a hill last week with my husband (1,94 meter, I am 1,75 meter) and I could keep up with him without even panting or my heart racing!

Remaining symptoms:
    Menstrual pains (just read here that that might be an B12 deficiency, I ordered the book). I get horrible pains in my lower back and shoulders. These pains stay for about a week after the bleeding has stopped. I still have intermittend bleeding too. I think my candida is almost under control (still get the rapid heart beats sometime though, and still cannot tolerate carbs). Short term memory still bad. Gut still hurts. Diarrhea often.

So, a lot is better, but I’m not there yet. But then, I’ve been ill for more than 15 years now, and I’ve only been on Iodine for four months! The improvement is amazing!

I did have detox symptoms, I still do: zits zits zits :-). Also headaches and sinus dripping: tissues everywhere in the house. It always gets a lot worse whenever I’m upping my iodine/iodide. There is even more:
    My experience with iodine at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1913488)
    Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    Special tip for the ladies:
    ===================

I just ran into this discussion group for girls with itching vulvas. It turns out that this is clearly a chronic problem for many women that doctors are unable to cure. Some women suffering for DECADES! This is the website:
    Itch-Scratch-Itch...uncontrollable labia itch - Women's Health - MedHelp

One lady reports that rubbing coconut oil on the vulva cured her years of suffering. Another reports a simple cure of hydrogen peroxide on a wet cloth brought immediate relief. This is off topic, but I think is well worth mentioning because so many women also suffer from iodine deficiency. I wonder if there is a connection between the itchy vulva and iodine deficiency? Something for us to think of while we are searching the web.

On a similar note, a woman reports that kefir grains cured her Thrush problems completely in only one night !
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post833663

We do believe that candida of the vagina is related to iodine deficiency.
    Grizz

LynneF is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, Grizz,

That's a great, detailed picture of a success story. I'll add it to the list!

If anybody else has a report of symptoms iodine helped, I'm collecting them (anonymously) for publication. Confidentiality assured. Please contact me at lynne@breastcancerchoices.org

Thanks,
    Lynne