Primal Fuel
    UNLISTED Youtube video by Dr. Fletchas
    "Total Body Iodine Sufficiency"
    Jorge Flechas Total Body Iodine Sufficiency - YouTube

WHY is this excellent video unlisted???

Grizz

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member
    Grizz:

I've used some Real Salt once when I got a headache and it worked. I thought I should only use it for detox symptoms and for up to 3 days. Should I be using it regularly even without detox issues to clear out the Bromides??

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    [i]I just ordered the Lugol's from Amazon, and I'll try the patch test next week. However, I'm still very frightened by those detox horror stories, and even more frightened by the repeated admonitions that I'm going to screw myself royally if I don't do it exactly right. Would it help to ramp up the other supplements first, before taking the iodine?
    The only detox symptom I had was a tightness in my throat when I first started. I backed down on the Iodoral, and it stopped. Then I titrated up again. I am now up to 44mg/day, with no other symptoms.

I am hypothyroid. I am on NatureThroid and T3 daily, and my levels are in the optimal range. Before thyroid meds, my basal temperature was 97.2, after getting optimal, it was 97.8. Since going with this high dose of Iodoral, it is now up to 98.2. My feet are much warmer, as is my body overall. The iodine has allowed the thyroid meds to be more effective.

Iodine is not something that you may notice the benefits of right away. The lack of it is responsible for a lot of physical problems that may happen later in life, taking years to develop. The fact that you're here on this Primal forum probably means that you're interested in optimal health, like the rest of us. We want to correct deficiencies to prevent the bad stuff.
    I can say that during my breast exams, my gyn doc frequently noted how "clear" my breasts were. I asked him one time why he said that, aren't breast supposed to be? He said most women's breast are lumpy, unlike mine. Now that I've heard the info about iodine, I understand just how common FBD is and why.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I do eat brazil nuts every now and then. I live in an area where the soil is rich in selenium, near the top of the range for the United States, and I eat local produce and meat. So I really do not need to worry about selenium. I did not like the way it made me feel. I could tell I was getting too much. I felt much better after it left my system. I'll just keep it up with the salt and reduce the iodine.
    It sounds like you're getting all the selenium you need. Too much selenium can cause your hair to fall out. The recommend range is very narrow, too much can be as bad as too little.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DuhPrincess View Post
    Grizz:

I've used some Real Salt once when I got a headache and it worked. I thought I should only use it for detox symptoms and for up to 3 days. Should I be using it regularly even without detox issues to clear out the Bromides??
    Yes. It is on the required list if supplements:
    Quote Originally Posted by introduction
    If you decide to supplement with iodine, you must take the REQUIRED supplements:
    ================================================== ===
    - - tsp Natural Celtic Salt
    - - 200 mcg selenium (L-selenomethionine preferred)
    - - 400 mcg Magnesium - Glycinate preferred
    - - 2,000mg Vitamin C - Ester-C preferred
    - - ATP Cofactors - contains B2 & B3 in the correct ratio
    See the Iodine References for more details on the required vitamins.
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references
    edit-5/16
    Note the ATP Cofactors are required to help get iodine into the cells. The BIG problem with some people is that the Iodine Symporters are not functioning well and then iodine goes right into the urine instead of into the cells. Iodine Symporters need the ATP Cofactors, as explained in the Dr. Fletchas unlisted Video above, "Total Body Iodine Sufficiency"
    It is the symporters that gets toxins out of our cells and iodine back in. The Vitamin C & ATP Cofactors help in this process.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 05-16-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    I just found a great place for iodine research: Curzone.

Here is a message from Curezone:

The above message link:
    Re: 4 weeks on 50 mg/d at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1926777)

Grizz
    Grizz, I was getting the majority of my information about iodine from CureZone prior to finding this thread. While there is certainly a great wealth of information to be had there, they do NOT talk about titrating up slowly with iodine at all. I have seen people say things like, "There is no one who cannot handle 1 mg of iodine daily." It was that site which gave me the feeling that I should start taking 5% Lugol's 2 drops at a time, and increasing by 2 drops each week. So just a warning to anyone who ventures over there!
    Great info. about detox symptoms and personal experiences though.

It is strange I would get a bromine rash so long after taking iodine. I certainly hope that is what it is because if I can get rid of this rash just by consuming a bunch of salt water, I will be very happy. It's driving me nuts and certainly doesn't want to go away on its own.
    Sbhikes, I got a horrible bromine rash after taking too much iodine too quickly. After a LOT of internet researching, I came across accounts of 2 people who said that NAC helps. So I started taking 1800mg a day (the recommended dose for helping with bromine rash is between 1-2 grams a day). I had dropped my iodine dose once I realized why I'd gotten the outbreak, but it wasn't getting any better. Once I started supplementing with the NAC, it started clearing up. I dropped down to 600mg daily, but still saw a few spots here and there, so recently upped to 1200mg and they've gone away.

Here is the brand that I take (which I found at Whole Foods, but which is much cheaper on iHerb!):
    Jarrow Formulas, N-A-C Sustain, 600 mg, 100 Bilayer Tablets - iHerb.com

By the way, for anyone ordering through iHerb for the first time, if you enter the coupon code MAY977, you'll get $5 off your first order.

I don't take those supplements. Selenium makes my hair fall out. I do take magnesium. I eat liver and other high-vitamin foods. I use salt (I have celtic sea salt at home, but will use any old salt when I'm out) on my food when I remember. I had some very salty broth for lunch and then 2 big glasses of water. I feel way less itchy now. I've been taking iodide for 8 months, up to 50mg. I've been taking iodine/iodide for a month, 25mg.

It seems like salt tends to be the magic cure-all for me on this diet. Not just for the rash but other things seem to have been resolved nearly instantly for me with salt. Somebody should start a salt thread.
    Oddly enough, salt has not helped me at all on my iodine journey. It didn't help w/the bromine rash, it didn't help with the bloating or the depression/brain fog/hopelessness. I do include salt in pretty much all of my food, either Celtic sea salt or Himalayan pink salt.

LynneF is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    Oddly enough, salt has not helped me at all on my iodine journey. It didn't help w/the bromine rash, it didn't help with the bloating or the depression/brain fog/hopelessness. I do include salt in pretty much all of my food, either Celtic sea salt or Himalayan pink salt.
    SBhikes,

Did you take extra salt or did you take the actual salt water recipe? I've found extra salt doesn't work whereas the SALT WATER RECIPE is quite powerful. This was presented at the Iodine Conference although it's been used for years. You might want to check Breast Cancer Choices - Dr. William Shevin's Salt Loading Protocol to see the recipe.

Lynne

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LynneF View Post
    SBhikes,

Did you take extra salt or did you take the actual salt water recipe? I've found extra salt doesn't work whereas the SALT WATER RECIPE is quite powerful. This was presented at the Iodine Conference although it's been used for years. You might want to check Breast Cancer Choices - Dr. William Shevin's Salt Loading Protocol to see the recipe.

Lynne
    Lynne,

FYI - for your website, I have discovered these 2 exceptional files
    Dr. Flechas Unlisted Video, goes in depth into iodine and does not mince words about iodine killing cancer,
    Jorge Flechas Total Body Iodine Sufficiency - YouTube

The best file I've seen yet on iodine, he has all the facts correct with imbedded links. GREAT WORK, it just doesn't get any better than this:
    Iodine deficiencies & dosages

Grizz

DuhPrincess is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Yes. It is on the required list if supplements:

edit-5/16
    Note the ATP Cofactors are required to help get iodine into the cells. The BIG problem with some people is that the Iodine Symporters are not functioning well and then iodine goes right into the urine instead of into the cells. Iodine Symporters need the ATP Cofactors, as explained in the Dr. Fletchas unlisted Video above, "Total Body Iodine Sufficiency"
    It is the symporters that gets toxins out of our cells and iodine back in. The Vitamin C & ATP Cofactors help in this process.

Grizz
    I do take all of the companion supplements (ATP Cofactors--100 mg's, Vita C--6-8000 mg's, Super Selenium Complex 200 mcg's) except I only used the Real Salt when I got a headache. And that was rare. I thought that the salt was for detoxing symptoms and only to be used for 3 days. Then if you still had symptoms after 3 days, back down on the Iodoral for awhile. Somehow I misunderstood the use of Salt. If the salt taken daily actually helps get the Bromides out of the body (with or without uncomfortable detox issues), then I am all for it! I just misunderstood its use. It does kinda gag me though so I'm not really excited about it! I do use a lot of Real Salt otherwise so maybe that's why it hasn't been an issue for me so far while NOT adding a 1/2 teaspoon in water to my protocol daily. I'll give it a try and see if anything changes. Otherwise, I'm feeling quite well now at 100 mg's of Iodoral (50 mg's in the morning & another 50mg's at night).