Page 241 of 415 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251291341 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 241

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh wait, it turns out that rashes in some people ARE reported after smart meter installation. Hmm.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Oh wait, it turns out that rashes in some people ARE reported after smart meter installation. Hmm.
    My friend just moved into a house that has a smart meter. She is getting rid of it ASAP. She has a friend who I have never met who attributes a lot of her health problems, including heart problems, to the time a smart meter was installed at her house.

I think the smart meter would explain why the rash appears like it came from one direction. It's located on one side of my body. I'm going to check where the meter is located relative to my sleeping position. I'll try foil on the wall and see if that helps. I told my partner I wanted to opt out of the smart meter but he didn't believe they were a problem. It was installed only a few days before I got my rash. See? The horror stories aren't always about iodine.

LynneF is offline Member
    Oxide,

In response to issues you raise:

1. I have personally met two patent holders of iodine treatments. I didn't understand why they patented something that's been used for 150 years in the exact way the Iodine Movement uses it. I asked one of the doctors who published on iodine deficient rats getting tumors in the 1950s (not a typo!) why he couldn't get the information out there. He explained that there was a moratorium on iodine research in humans due to an erroneous concept called the Wolff Chaikoff Effect. This is explained in Dr. Brownstein's book. I urge you to read it. It will answer all your questions. Others, like Dr. Michael Schacter have published on the W-C and have reverified that the W-C Effect is bogus.

2. The 150 mcg dose of iodine was the dose thought to prevent Goiter. That recommendation came before the 1970s when bromide fire retardant chemicals became widely used in our furniture, carpets, electronics, etc. Bromides purge iodine from the receptors. So 150 mcg cannot withstand the bromide assault. 150 mcg is an outdated recommendation.

Also, I would not accept the RDA dosing on anything. You need to search back and see the origin of the information. The FDA believes the Japanese (who are one of the longest lived populations in the world) are poisoning themselves with iodine and the American iodine requirements are correct. Do you see a flaw in this logic?

Anyway, I appreciate the opportunity to address all scepticism. I was sceptical myself in the beginning. I arrogantly thought if iodine was so good for the breasts I would have heard about it. I gave myself two weeks to review iodine the medical literature. Then I needed a couple more months to research. Then I needed a year to review medical books from the 1800s. Then I looked to the medical anthropology and archeology findings of seaweed-based medicines going back 15,000 years.

I started researching in 2005-2006. I am still researching. You cannot review the preponderance of evidence for seven years and read thousands of patient and doctor reports and still take 150 mcg.

Good luck with your research,
    Lynne

Gwynn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think the smart meter would explain why the rash appears like it came from one direction. It's located on one side of my body. I'm going to check where the meter is located relative to my sleeping position. I'll try foil on the wall and see if that helps. I told my partner I wanted to opt out of the smart meter but he didn't believe they were a problem. It was installed only a few days before I got my rash. See? The horror stories aren't always about iodine.
    Right, there's plenty of topics with horror stories involved, LOL! BTW, the friend of my friend had already ordered a correct meter, I need to find out if she ever got it installed.

Speaking of flame retardants, this article was in the Los Angeles Times the other day. Shit like this makes my blood boil.
    Chemical makers fan the flames of fear - Los Angeles Times

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for the responses! To be honest, this thread simply didn't have enough scientific support to make me feel comfortable. I couldn't tell if it was legit, or if it was another wacky Interent thing, like those "one weird tip that phoneix mom discovered to keep off belly fat" ads. But now it's all starting to look a lot more legit.

I looked up the W-C effect, only on Wiki. My science deals with things and not people, so I don't have experience with ethics. But according to wiki, the W-C effect only lasted 10 days. Meanwhile, women are living for years with endometriosis, dealing with months of chemo, and having the breasts cut OFF permanently. But they won't research iodine treatment because it may or may not cause an effect that lasts 10 days??? Damn.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

curtisjeser is offline Junior Member
    Consistently such as sea veges diet program should deal with iodine needs. I meltdown up nori linens on top of my soups a several times per weeks time, and I also use raw dulse flakes in place of sodium regularly.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by curtisjeser View Post
    Consistently such as sea veges diet program should deal with iodine needs. I meltdown up nori linens on top of my soups a several times per weeks time, and I also use raw dulse flakes in place of sodium regularly.
    Curtis,

You are correct, they should give us the required iodine, but they don't. We live in a sea of toxic halide chemicals that displace iodine from our cells every day. Toxins like Bromide in our food, Fluoride, chlorine in our water supplies are constantly stripping iodine out of our bodies.
    Iodine deficiencies & dosages

Dr. Brownstein now recommends 50mg of iodine daily with required supplements to keep us iodine sufficient,
    Details in this file:
    http://tinyurl.com/iodine-references
    Click on the table of contents to navigate.

Seaweed is not recommended because it is also toxic and contains arsenic. We recommend Lugols Liquid Iodine and iodoral iodine capsules, both available from Amazon.Com.

I suggest that you read this document to catch up with the rest of our members:
    http://www.freegrab.net/Iodine%20update.htm#section1

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 05-15-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Except that Oprah actually won that court case. Not sure if that counts as being taught a lesson. But if anything, it taught the general public a lesson about how far companies will go to keep profit rolling in.

I am gratified that Wheat Belly is still near the top of the Amazon bestseller list, despite all the attacks from industry. After all, they can't stop us from NOT eating something!

It turns out that Wikipedia has a lot of iodine references too. But Grizz, I'm confused over the milligrams and micrograms. According to various Wiki pages,

Thyroid needs a minimum of 70 micrograms to function.
    The RDA is 150 micrograms to feed thyroid and other cells.
    The median intake is 200-240 micrograms, probably from iodized salt.
    The upper tolerable limit is 1100 micrograms (1.1 milligrams).
    My sea veg sea salt has 240% the RDA = 360 micrograms, or 1/3 the upper limit.
    A piece of kombu kelp has about 1000% RDA = 1500 micrograms, which is 1.5x above the tolerable limit.
    The iodine tablets are 225 micrograms, and that seems to be enough to give people nightmares.

Industry may not want us to know about cures and treatments, but I don't see how they can suppress the upper tolerable limit serum studies from the National Academy of Sciences in 2000. Do the Japanese eat 12 times the limit? That's about 10 pieces of Kombu kelp -- almost an entire bag from the natural foods store -- every day. Does Dr. Brownstein really recommend 50 milligrams/day, as you posted above? 50 times the limit? Or is that only during the treatment time? Either way, I'm am NOT taking in 50 times the limit, supplements or not.

I'll go much slower, thanks. First the iodine test. Then checking the supplements, only then adding a bit of iodine. Maybe. I'd like to check more about the kombu.
    Oxide,
    You will find the answers to ALL of your questions in this doc, which includes doctor + scientific references. How much iodine you need and why.
    Iodine deficiencies & dosages

I am now on 50mg iororal iodine daily with ALL of the required supplements, and Mrs Grizz is on 12.5 mg iodoral iodine daily. I have noticed a big improvement in her breast composition since she started with iodine in Jan and I have noticed that my prostate problems are cured.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 05-15-2012 at 12:49 PM.