Page 232 of 415 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282332 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 232

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    That does sound awesome. Not to derail the thread, but can you elaborate on how one fixes/heals sulfite sensitivity? Mine's not intense by any means, but can be inconvenient.
    Absolutely! Quick back story (please message me if you want more details!): I had joint pain starting when I took ballet at age 11. It started in my ankles, and even though I quit ballet after less than a year because I couldn't walk after class, as I grew the pains spread. They were associated with exercise at first; stress on the joints = pain later. I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, which is a progressive arthritis that eventually fuses your spine! At +/- 16, that was a difficult thing to hear. At this point I had pain in my ankles, knees, lower back, sciatica, elbows, wrists, and fingers - not all at once, but usually one or two on any given day. I was given heavy doses of NSAIDS which got it under control (and gave me an ulcer, of course...). On my 21st b-day I had my first full serving of red wine (tons of sulfites!) and the next morning I hurt SO badly. From then on, if I ate a food with traces of sulfites (think: shrimp, frieds, tea, etc) I would feel the effects in less than an hour.

I went to Dr. Y and he did many things, including telling me that I had partial blockages in my intestines. When that happens, he said, those blockages slowly erode the intestine wall and can cause leaky gut. He moved them around (using his elbow to push them around.. a little uncomfortable sometimes!), and I went to him about once a month for maybe five months. Right now, I very rarely have joint pain, and I can have two glasses of red wine and never know the difference. So in my case, I believe the sensitivity was due to leaky gut; it was getting right into my bloodstream when it should have been processed or eliminated. Now that my gut is healthier and less "leaky", my body can handle it normally and I don't have any problems.

I'm sure that's not the case for everyone, but it sure worked for me in a very clearcut and undeniable way. I'm grateful that I don't have to watch what I eat anymore! I know that leaky gut can also be caused by things like candida infections, yes? So maybe even without blockages, leaky gut could still cause similar problems in other people, I don't know. Good luck!
    ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
    Starting weight - 170 lbs
    9/4 body fat - 33%
    9/4 weight - 150 lbs

Grizz is offline Banned
    The Fibromyalgia Recovery nonprofit organization recommends Iodine as an essential part of their program. I believe they even invited Dr. Flechas, one of the three principal iodine doctors, to speak.

One of the success stories I've collected for publication includes a 28 year old mother of three who had been taking prescription painkillers for fibromyalgia. I spoke to this woman on the phone to verify the details. She started taking iodine with some fear because she didn't trust the enthusiasm on the internet. First she applied it to her foot, and then started taking it by mouth. It changed her life. Her husband had been making all the family dinners for years. Now she comes home from work and is able to cook and has stopped the pain killers.

Not every iodine story is this dramatic. But I hate to see people suffering that could be helped even a little bit. Also, what concerns me is that if fibromyalgia people are deficient in iodine they may be at risk for more "serious" diseases such as breast cancer.

Lynne
    breastcancerthinktank : Breast Cancer Think Tank

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlTigress View Post
    Let me tell you, I'm very hopeful about the benefits of iodine! With all the health concerns I've had in the past few years, and ESPECIALLY with my mother being diagnosed with breast cancer last year, and my grandma with lung cancer (lifelong smoker though), I'm excited to see what happens.

Just for you, Grizz, I did talk with my most trusted doctor yesterday when I saw him for other things. He's a chiropractor, DC, FIAMA, ABMDI (I don't know what most of those mean), and has healed myself and many of my friends of things "regular" doctors couldn't fix. Including my intense sulfite sensitivity, which was awesome. Anyway, he recommended the supplement I'm using, and when I told him it was recommended to me to also use sea salt, magneseum, and seleneum, he said those were exactly right. I don't care to disclose his name for internet privacy reasons, but there you have it. And I absolutely do appreciate all the research you make available to the public in this thread and I love reading it. I just have a problem with you telling people what they must do, but I've said my bit and you can talk to people however you want.

Right now I'm doing two drops which is just under the recommended starting low-level dosage. I'm also doing the natural salt ("Real Salt"*), selenium, magnesium, and a Rainbow Light multivitamin that covers the supplements I'm not taking individually. I was already taking St. John's Wart for depression along with B-vitamins, Omegas 3-6-9s, and Gingko for my poor fuzzy no-short-term-memory brain. I'm going to hold steady on all these supplements for the next 2-3 weeks as I have one more week of work and then a two week road trip with my mom, and when I come back I'm going to change my diet to primal.

*Real Salt - this comes from somewhere in Utah, so I guess it's not exactly sea salt, but it's definitely not table salt. It's brownish and has trace minerals of all sorts, unrefined, unbleachd, un-whatever else they do to table salt. My understanding was that it was important to get salt in its natural state, so I hope it's a good choice for this. What do you think? I could give you more information from the bottle if you want. All the other salts came in bigger packages that I couldn't afford along with purchasing all the other supplements, so I hope it's okay.

On a personal note, my doctor also said the lump in my thigh doesn't feel like a fatty deposit to him, like my 'normal' doctor said it was, and wants me to have it x-rayed... :-/ I feel worried about that. The reason I even asked him was because I dreamed it was cancer and wanted some reassurance. Hopefully iodine will help with whatever it may be?
    Tigress,
    Great news !
    Just a few comments. I doubt that your multi-vitamin has enough Vitamin C . You need 2000+ Ester-C is recommended.
    I also doubt that your B's have the correct dosage & ratio required.
    ATP Cofactors contain both 100mg B2 & 500mg B3 where B3 is the correct NON-FLUSHING form of Naican.

You might want to review the dosages to be sure you are getting enough of each:
    - - 200 mcg selenium
    - - 400 mcg Magnesium

I would suspect your memory problems & the swelling in your leg is most likely a cyst, very typical of a person who is deficient in iodine.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.d00m71x6k8cl

If you are unsure of going Paleo, this site will convince you. Get his book if you can.
    Wheat Belly Blog | Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight
    Dr. Davis proves that grains, wheat, oatmeal, and man made oils are devastating to our health.

Your Utah Salt is perfect, and I think it is better than Celtic Salt.

You will also need 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 geltabs with Olive Oil (not soy oil) to boost your immune system. Then after 3 months get your at home blood test for $65 to verify you are optimal at 70 to 100 ng/ml. Details below in my SIG. I have not had a cold in 3 years since taking Vitamin D3 !

You are VERY lucky to have such a good doctor.

Intense sulfite sensitivity? I never heard of that. Can you tell us more?

2 drops of Lugols? That is way too much to start. You will very likely get into BAD detox issues. I recommend you start with 1 drop diluted in a bottle of water and drink 2 ounces a day for the first week, 4 ounces a day week 2, etc. See this:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.ouh63hyq3qpb

Grizz

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Just popping in for an update.
    I think I mentioned earlier that I was going to up the iodine dose as fast as I could handle due to the side effects i was starting to get related to the fibroids.
    Anyways Im now at 12 drops a day (8mg a drop so just short of 100mg) along with the required supliments
    im spliting it into 2 doses a day, 6 drops Lugols 12% in the morning along with 1/2 teaspoon celtic sea salt along with 2 glasses of water plus 100mg b2 & 500mg b3, & a couple Brazil nuts etc,
    tthen the same again early afternoon, im taking the VitC midmorning & mid afternoon .

So far ive had no significant detox symptoms. Just the odd numb/tingle feeling in spots, mostly around the time I hit 40mg dose. I still am getting that here & there but not as often, also the numbing sensation in my left leg seems to eased off,(caused by fibroid putting pressure on a nerve) I still get it but not regularly & not as strong.(Also the Numbing in my leg is Not the same as the tingle I think is a detox side effect)

Possibly a slight skin break out but I dident break out durning my TOM so actully my skin is better overall. And no cramps this time (my last TOM I got a lot of cramping starting a week before)
    I saw my Chiropracter (who it turns out is on a simular diet to Primal ) who said she could see a difrence, perticularly that my eyes were brighter/clearer.

I do suspect that my Bromide levels are probably less than average due to several factors(grew up in Canada, lots of home grown food, never eaten much junk food, always cook from scratch etc ) So that may be why im not exsperiencing significant detox issues.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Grizz,

I forgot that I just got some Vit C since I realized there wasn't enough! Thanks for reminding me. Here, why don't I just list what I'm taking and the amounts... I realize not all of it is the same as the protocol you follow but right now I do have to take cost, convenience, and other things into consideration. I'm making a lot of changes in my life and can't always put all my $$$ and energy into each aspect.

First - I'm taking 2 drops of iosol, NOT lugols! Don't worry. It actually comes out to 3.6 mg (there is 1830 mcg/drop) iodine. So don't worry about that. (-: I'm going to stay at that level for several weeks, as I'm adding a lot of supplements, exercise, and therapy in my life right now.

Right now I'm taking in:

3.6mg iodine
    860mg Vitamin C (I will up this. It's an odd number because some supplements have bits of vit C in them. Same for the other vits)
    111mg B-1 (thiamin from thiamine HCI {B-100}, thiamin mononitrate{multi vit}, and thiamin hydrocloride{hair, skin, nails})
    111 mg B-2 (riboflavin)
    155 mg Niacin as niacinamide
    111 B-6 (from Pyridoxine HCI)
    120 mg ginkgo biloba
    1,534 mg Omega 3-6-9
    400 mg magnesium citrate
    200 mcg selenium as L-selenomethionine
    1/4 tsp Real Salt

Also Vit A, Vit D, Vit E, Vit K, folic acid, B-12, biotin, patothenic acid, choline, inositol, PABA, B5, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese, chromium, molybdenum, potassium, boron, vanadium, lemon bioflavonoid complex, kelp powder (in the multi), inositol, rutin, hesperidin, protease, amylase, lipase, cellulase, bromelain, apple pectin from my multi. In other supplements there is also pantothenic acid, phosphorus, sodium, RNA, horsetail, hydrolyzed collagen, alpha lipoic acid, and the St. John's Wort. If any of those are relevant and you want numbers, just ask.

Also, my fabulous doctor recommended ToxiClenz, which is diatomaceous earth + inositol, whatever that is. I hear you're a fan of that, so hoping for good results. I might get some Vit D3 on another paycheck, same with the B3 one.

Sulfites - in case anyone is unfamiliar (I was!), sulfites are a preservative. They are frequently added to wine in large amounts to prevent it from going bad (sour, I believe, but I'm not a wine person), as well as beer. However, they are also found in sneaky places. They use it on frozen fries and dried light color fruit to prevent unsightly browning. They treat shrimp with it while still out on the boat, which btw means it doesn't go on the label. It's in tea (like lipton iced, for example, not herbals), though I forget why for that one. Sulfites are a KNOWN allergen, and thus it is required by the FDA that companies put a warning label if there is a certain amount of it added. Go check your wine or beer - "SULFITES ADDED" or "CONTAINS SULFITES". Most people react to sulfites with asthma symptoms, but there are a variety of ways people can react.

When I had a full glass of wine (sangria... yummy) for the first time, it was like there was enough sulfites to tip the scale and my body decided to have an all out war on even minute traces of sulfites I never had a problem with it before, but after that one day, it was crazy! My particular reaction was joint pain. I'd had pain before but never food related - that I could tell, anyway. It was too inconsistent to monitor easily but was made worse with exercise. With my newfound sulfite sensitivity, I would experience aching pain in my knees or other joints within about 20 min of eating shrimp/scallops or other sources of sulfites. It was very clear cut, like an allergic reaction that manifested itself with joint pain. Now, I don't think food gets into the intestines in such a short period of time, so I admit I don't understand the exact mechanics - who does?

What I do know is that my doctor explained my partial blockages, as I mentioned above, and got them moving. Once there wasn't sludge rotting the walls of my gut, it was able to patch itself back up. About a year later my mom asked how my pain's been and I was surprised to respond that I basically don't have pain anymore. I tested out some foods with sulfites, eventually including a full glass of wine, and sure enough - my body couldn't care less. Wine has very high levels of sulfites, so if I can handle that, I know my sensitivity is gone. I also don't hurt after exercise/stress on my joints any more. I don't understand why exactly, but my guess was that my leaky gut was causing all over inflammation and so I was more sensitive to physical stress than I would have been otherwise? Now that my body is less mad all the time, it doesn't mind normal exercise.

As a side note, sulfites are used as a preservative in some medications also. For example... epi pens are preserved with sulfites, to create a longer shelf life. DO NOT EVER USE AN EPI-PEN ON SOMEONE TO WHOM IT IS NOT PRESCRIBED. If someone is allergic to sulfites (again, it's a known allergen, not something random like strawberries), they can react to the sulfites in it and be worse off than they were before. There are only small amounts of sulfites in it, but some people react very strongly! Don't take the risk if you can help it. Many people react with asthma, which means exposure can cause them to stop breathing which I would consider a negative side effect.
    ~Mollie

Started PB on Monday, June 4. I'm focusing on my health in 2012, including taking natural supplements, zumba and strength training, regular church attendance and studying the Bible, spending time with good friends, and reading more. I want to see what health milestones I can achieve this year!

Starting body fat - 41%
    Starting weight - 170 lbs
    9/4 body fat - 33%
    9/4 weight - 150 lbs

Grizz is offline Banned
    Absolutely! Quick back story (please message me if you want more details!): I had joint pain starting when I took ballet at age 11. It started in my ankles, and even though I quit ballet after less than a year because I couldn't walk after class, as I grew the pains spread. They were associated with exercise at first; stress on the joints = pain later. I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, which is a progressive arthritis that eventually fuses your spine! At +/- 16, that was a difficult thing to hear. At this point I had pain in my ankles, knees, lower back, sciatica, elbows, wrists, and fingers - not all at once, but usually one or two on any given day. I was given heavy doses of NSAIDS which got it under control (and gave me an ulcer, of course...). On my 21st b-day I had my first full serving of red wine (tons of sulfites!) and the next morning I hurt SO badly. From then on, if I ate a food with traces of sulfites (think: shrimp, frieds, tea, etc) I would feel the effects in less than an hour.

I went to Dr. Y and he did many things, including telling me that I had partial blockages in my intestines. When that happens, he said, those blockages slowly erode the intestine wall and can cause leaky gut. He moved them around (using his elbow to push them around.. a little uncomfortable sometimes!), and I went to him about once a month for maybe five months. Right now, I very rarely have joint pain, and I can have two glasses of red wine and never know the difference. So in my case, I believe the sensitivity was due to leaky gut; it was getting right into my bloodstream when it should have been processed or eliminated. Now that my gut is healthier and less "leaky", my body can handle it normally and I don't have any problems.

I'm sure that's not the case for everyone, but it sure worked for me in a very clearcut and undeniable way. I'm grateful that I don't have to watch what I eat anymore! I know that leaky gut can also be caused by things like candida infections, yes? So maybe even without blockages, leaky gut could still cause similar problems in other people, I don't know. Good luck!
    Leaky Gut is THE major symptom caused by grains, wheat & oatmeal. Read the book, Wheat Belly by Dr. Wm Davis, and search this web site for Leaky Gut
    Track Your Plaque Blog

I think you will be shocked beyond belief. Breads are no longer made with wheat. Breads & flour are made with a Frankenstein Monster created in the labs of Monsanto. Genetically Modified Monsters.

Grizz

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Oh I forgot to mention, i woke up with what I "thought" was a toothache but closer look it was a spot on my gum that was swollen, red & very sore looking.. dont know what was going on (wasent bothering me when I went to bed last night) Anyways I put a drop of Iodine on it to see if it would help any.. just realized now that its not even a lil sore now, I dont know when or how fast it sorted itself but it hasent been bothering me today so probably within a few hours tops.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Leaky Gut is THE major symptom caused by grains, wheat & oatmeal. Read the book, Wheat Belly by Dr. Wm Davis, and search this web site for Leaky Gut
    Track Your Plaque Blog

I think you will be shocked beyond belief. Breads are no longer made with wheat. Breads & flour are made with a Frankenstein Monster created in the labs of Monsanto. Genetically Modified Monsters.

Grizz
    When I read "Wheat Belly" I didn't get any references to genetically modified wheat - it was wheat altered by selective breeding, repeated selective breeding and I didn't see references to Monsanto either.

Am I missing something? I'll read it again - but I only remember his references to short as opposed to long wheat and with different strains of gluten etc.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    When I read "Wheat Belly" I didn't get any references to genetically modified wheat - it was wheat altered by selective breeding, repeated selective breeding and I didn't see references to Monsanto either.

Am I missing something? I'll read it again - but I only remember his references to short as opposed to long wheat and with different strains of gluten etc.
    You might try searching his web site for "Frankenstein, or corn." There is far more than "Selective Breeding" going on. They are mutating the wheat with radiation, gene splicing, and more. They have also created a "Frankenstein Corn."
    You will also find MUCH more on the subject of wheat and its devastation to health at his other site:
    Track Your Plaque Blog

Things to search this site for are: Celiac, obese, diabetes, heart disease, depression, oats.

Dr. Davis was the main reason for us going into the Paleo Diet. He gave us the required 2nd opinion to verify the claims made by the Paleo book authors.

You might enjoy this GREAT interview on the low carb (Paleo) diet:
    TWiT Live Specials 124 | TWiT.TV

Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    Grizz,

I forgot that I just got some Vit C since I realized there wasn't enough! Thanks for reminding me. Here, why don't I just list what I'm taking and the amounts... I realize not all of it is the same as the protocol you follow but right now I do have to take cost, convenience, and other things into consideration. I'm making a lot of changes in my life and can't always put all my $$$ and energy into each aspect.

First - I'm taking 2 drops of iosol, NOT lugols! Don't worry. It actually comes out to 3.6 mg (there is 1830 mcg/drop) iodine. So don't worry about that. (-: I'm going to stay at that level for several weeks, as I'm adding a lot of supplements, exercise, and therapy in my life right now.

Right now I'm taking in:

3.6mg iodine
    860mg Vitamin C (I will up this. It's an odd number because some supplements have bits of vit C in them. Same for the other vits)
    111mg B-1 (thiamin from thiamine HCI {B-100}, thiamin mononitrate{multi vit}, and thiamin hydrocloride{hair, skin, nails})
    111 mg B-2 (riboflavin)
    155 mg Niacin as niacinamide
    111 B-6 (from Pyridoxine HCI)
    120 mg ginkgo biloba
    1,534 mg Omega 3-6-9
    400 mg magnesium citrate
    200 mcg selenium as L-selenomethionine
    1/4 tsp Real Salt

Also Vit A, Vit D, Vit E, Vit K, folic acid, B-12, biotin, patothenic acid, choline, inositol, PABA, B5, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese, chromium, molybdenum, potassium, boron, vanadium, lemon bioflavonoid complex, kelp powder (in the multi), inositol, rutin, hesperidin, protease, amylase, lipase, cellulase, bromelain, apple pectin from my multi. In other supplements there is also pantothenic acid, phosphorus, sodium, RNA, horsetail, hydrolyzed collagen, alpha lipoic acid, and the St. John's Wort. If any of those are relevant and you want numbers, just ask.

Also, my fabulous doctor recommended ToxiClenz, which is diatomaceous earth + inositol, whatever that is. I hear you're a fan of that, so hoping for good results. I might get some Vit D3 on another paycheck, same with the B3 one.

Sulfites - in case anyone is unfamiliar (I was!), sulfites are a preservative. They are frequently added to wine in large amounts to prevent it from going bad (sour, I believe, but I'm not a wine person), as well as beer. However, they are also found in sneaky places. They use it on frozen fries and dried light color fruit to prevent unsightly browning. They treat shrimp with it while still out on the boat, which btw means it doesn't go on the label. It's in tea (like lipton iced, for example, not herbals), though I forget why for that one. Sulfites are a KNOWN allergen, and thus it is required by the FDA that companies put a warning label if there is a certain amount of it added. Go check your wine or beer - "SULFITES ADDED" or "CONTAINS SULFITES". Most people react to sulfites with asthma symptoms, but there are a variety of ways people can react.

When I had a full glass of wine (sangria... yummy) for the first time, it was like there was enough sulfites to tip the scale and my body decided to have an all out war on even minute traces of sulfites I never had a problem with it before, but after that one day, it was crazy! My particular reaction was joint pain. I'd had pain before but never food related - that I could tell, anyway. It was too inconsistent to monitor easily but was made worse with exercise. With my newfound sulfite sensitivity, I would experience aching pain in my knees or other joints within about 20 min of eating shrimp/scallops or other sources of sulfites. It was very clear cut, like an allergic reaction that manifested itself with joint pain. Now, I don't think food gets into the intestines in such a short period of time, so I admit I don't understand the exact mechanics - who does?

What I do know is that my doctor explained my partial blockages, as I mentioned above, and got them moving. Once there wasn't sludge rotting the walls of my gut, it was able to patch itself back up. About a year later my mom asked how my pain's been and I was surprised to respond that I basically don't have pain anymore. I tested out some foods with sulfites, eventually including a full glass of wine, and sure enough - my body couldn't care less. Wine has very high levels of sulfites, so if I can handle that, I know my sensitivity is gone. I also don't hurt after exercise/stress on my joints any more. I don't understand why exactly, but my guess was that my leaky gut was causing all over inflammation and so I was more sensitive to physical stress than I would have been otherwise? Now that my body is less mad all the time, it doesn't mind normal exercise.

As a side note, sulfites are used as a preservative in some medications also. For example... epi pens are preserved with sulfites, to create a longer shelf life. DO NOT EVER USE AN EPI-PEN ON SOMEONE TO WHOM IT IS NOT PRESCRIBED. If someone is allergic to sulfites (again, it's a known allergen, not something random like strawberries), they can react to the sulfites in it and be worse off than they were before. There are only small amounts of sulfites in it, but some people react very strongly! Don't take the risk if you can help it. Many people react with asthma, which means exposure can cause them to stop breathing which I would consider a negative side effect.
    IMO, You are determined to make yourself sick with detox symptoms. Don't worry, detox symptoms are all temporary, and will pass. Did you look up the Salt Water Flush?

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 05-09-2012 at 05:39 AM.