Page 199 of 415 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209249299 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 199

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    What a monster of a thread this is, with so much info to read and absorb! I'm curious, is anyone just using sea salt for their iodine source? I've had a bottle of sea salt from Trader Joe's pretty much just sitting in my cupboard for a few years now, but tried some this morning with Kerrygold butter I recently got...pure heaven! But I wonder if the iodine content in sea salt is enough to justify the sodium.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Sea salt is not a good source for iodine.

Happy Easter everyone, time to go cook the leg of lamb.

nuttmegs17 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    Are you taking the companion nutrients (most important is the selenium)? It sounds like detox, have you tried salt loading?
    thanks for asking -thats important info

yep- i dont take the iodine without also taking 200-400 selenium as well as zinc.

i'm wondering if i should try the pulse method you guys have mentioned - stop for a couple of days...but would that make it harder to get back on the same dose?

Quote Originally Posted by nuttmegs17 View Post
    thanks for asking -thats important info

yep- i dont take the iodine without also taking 200-400 selenium as well as zinc.

i'm wondering if i should try the pulse method you guys have mentioned - stop for a couple of days...but would that make it harder to get back on the same dose?
    I do salt loading when I detox but I've heard that other people take the iodine for five days and then two off and then five on ... same dose
    Last edited by Ferti; 04-08-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: last two words

nuttmegs17 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justaseeker View Post
    I just suddenly realized something. A few days ago I stopped my low dose levothyroxine because i felt that the issues that I was starting to have were more likely related to that med than to iodine/detox. Ever since then I wake up each day feeling better than the day before. And, that feeling lasts all day. Levothyroxine takes up to a week to leave the body. It seems to me that the more it is gone the better I feel. I'm also thinking about upping my iodine dose at the end of that week when its all out of my system.
    what problems were you having with LDN?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ferti
    Grizz, where do you get the 1/2 mg dosing up over six months? Some people won't begin to detox until they get to 50 mg. (according to some posts on the Iodine Group). Everyone is different and there are no hard and fast rules. Part of the fun with this is the n=1 experimenting, which I'm really enjoying.
    @ferti,
    Congats on getting to 100mg iodine ! You are to be commended. You even beat me! I'm still at 50mg.
    You are correct, everyone is different, and some in our group have had nasty detox symptoms at 1/2mg. The recommended dosing schedule for newbees to avoid severe detox is to put a drop of Lugols 2% iodine into a sealed container of water, and drink 1 ounce daily for the 1st week, then 2 ounce week 2, etc and slooowly titrate up to 50mg daily of iodoral over a 6 month period.

We don't want our newbee eager beavers suffering from severe detox symptoms from titrating up too much too soon. The poor liver & kidneys can't handle too many toxins in one day. So CAUTION is the word for all the newbees joining with us. Being aggressive is A-OK if as long as the Newbee is aware of the serious detox symptoms (30lbs of bloat, puffy face full of pimples, emergency room, sick days from work, & more) and feels confident in handling them. Yes, I am overly concerned about our newbee eager beavers. IMO, all of us "Old Timers" should be concerned about cautioning the newbee eager beavers the potentially serious consequences of detox.

@nuttmegs,
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttmegs
    i started on 500 mcg kelp tablets....upped a tablet after 2 week periods...now I'm up to 3.1 mg (quarter of 12.5 tablet) and experiencing strange symptons...tightness in throat (comes and goes), drier eyes, fatigue/out of it feeling (comes and goes), some pimples.

I have hashi's and am working with chris kressor on supplementing iodine...i can't get in to see him for a couple of weeks so figured i'd ask in the meantime. Is this a normal/expected reaction? should i back down? is this just detox or a sign i need to stop? Complicating matters is about a month or so ago, I began using LDN (low dose naltrexone) and worked up on that as well...i first assumed it was ldn, but then after googling, etc, realized some of this could be from iodine as well.
    would love advice/feedback etc. thank you!
    adding on: if this is "Detox" and i should stay the course....how long before it settles down? in general i mean...
    I suggest you follow the Iodine Reference Guide to
    1) Titrate up VERY slowly
    2) Take the required supplements = VITAL
    3) Do the Salt flush protocol ASAP.

If you are not taking the required supplements, your liver & kidneys cannot properly detox the toxins loaded into your body.
    IMO, you took too much iodine too soon. Go back to 1/2mg and stay there for 1 month. Do the salt flush for 3 days to see if that helps. Since you have Hashi, the required supplements are especially important. Especially the A123 cofactors tablet.
    Also since you have hashi, I recommend that you become a member of the Yahoo Iodine Group. I think they are far more qualified to help you with Hashi than we are. They have a LOT of experience with Hashi and a doctor dedicated to helping. We have a terrific group here, but we are not qualified as yet to handle thyroid or any other disease. Yahoo Iodine Group is very well qualified to handle any thyroid related disease.

So bottom line here is my best advice:
    1) Take 6 months or longer to titrate up to 50mg, sloooow down.
    2) Take the required vitamins
    3) Do the salt flush AND cut back dosage if you get detox symptoms.

Print off this report by Dr. Buist and carefully follow it to the letter:
    http://home.comcast.net/~jocy1/junk/...h%20Iodine.pdf

PS) levothyroxine that justaseeker was taking is not the same as LDN, it is a drug for hypothyroid.

Best to you, please keep us informed of your progress,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 04-29-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    What a monster of a thread this is, with so much info to read and absorb! I'm curious, is anyone just using sea salt for their iodine source? I've had a bottle of sea salt from Trader Joe's pretty much just sitting in my cupboard for a few years now, but tried some this morning with Kerrygold butter I recently got...pure heaven! But I wonder if the iodine content in sea salt is enough to justify the sodium.
    Ferti is correct. Seasalt is not acceptable for an iodine supplement.
    I suggest you print this document out and follow it to the letter,
    or else follow our own References Document

Welcome to the the FUN we are having in this thread.
    Iodine is essential for human health, and we live in a sea of toxins that are stripping iodine out of our bodies every day, resulting in a Pandoras Box of iodine deficiency disease. See Iodine Deficiency Symptoms in our reference guide.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 04-08-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Owl
    Owl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttmegs17 View Post
    Hi All!

I could use some feedback from those familiar with iodine dosing...i started on 500 mcg kelp tablets....upped a tablet after 2 week periods...now I'm up to 3.1 mg (quarter of 12.5 tablet) and experiencing strange symptons...tightness in throat (comes and goes), drier eyes, fatigue/out of it feeling (comes and goes), some pimples.
    I had the same tightness in my throat, so yes, it is detox. I dropped my iodine down some and it went away. Then I titrated up, and have not had that side effect again.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I never cease to be amazed at the wealth of quality information available at the BreastCancerChoices Web Site.

Between the Left Panel Menu and the Right Panel Menu, there is enough iodine related articles to keep us busy learning for hours!
    I find myself going there frequently. A really fun site to look into.

Grizz