Page 149 of 415 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 149

justaseeker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The subject of iodine seems to range from the mundane to the sublime. We talk about our poop and our pee as well as our paleolithic ancestors. There is also a large range of views on what is the proper way to approach iodine usage - ingestion, supplementation, and topical application.

The Great Iodine Debate - Weston A Price Foundation

In her article, "The Great Iodine Debate", 2009, Sally Fallon Morell attempts to cover the major issues. She, along with 3 of her colleagues, also volunteered as guinea pigs themselves. They took the iodine loading test - and all tested deficient. Then they all started 50 mg Iodoral supplementation.

At about six weeks in, Sally and one other developed - unbeknownst to each other - identical dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) symptoms and immediately discontinued the Iodoral. They concluded that they had developed esophagitis - which neither of them had a prior history of. Sally did not mention whether or not this experimental group had also used the support supplements or salt loading, so important context is missing. It also appears that they didn't understand the need to titrate up from a lower dose and just jumped right in at 50 mg.

However, I can personally attest to the fact that even with titrating up, salt loading, and other nutritional support - that iodine supplements can be rough on the stomach. I have a sensitive stomach and a history of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). I am currently free of symptoms but I have had to heal a small erosion at the base of the esophagus - opening to the stomach - and I closely monitor my GERD status to prevent relapse.

I take iodine in tablet form - rather than the liquid - because the tablets are coated to reduce gastric upset. Still, they cause me some distress that I have to correct. I also have a history of niacin therapy - and niacin is also rough on my stomach.

I was watchful when I added in the ATP cofactors this week. My stomach hurt the first day that I added them in, and increased my iodine dose, but not terribly. The next day was better. BUT, I noticed that my urine pH was starting to drift toward acidic last night and this morning I woke up with acid reflux, even though I sleep with my upper body elevated. My pH was solidly acidic. Also, my blood sugar was higher than usual this morning. I believe that what I ate last night - which included an unusual item - an apple - is partly responsible for the acidity. Salted water is starting to buffer pH now. However, I feel that both the iodine and the ATP cofactors are too rough on my stomach. I am stopping the ATP cofactors - and relying on the B2 & B3 that are in my multi and in the Iodine2 Plus.

Somewhat regrettably, because I also woke to discover an amazingly positive shift in my allergy symptoms - eyes bright and clear and no redness or itching, no facial puffiness, reduced sinus/ear pressure - simply amazing, I am going to step back the iodine to the dose that did not seem to bother my stomach - 12.5 mg. Really, I think that I will be able to progress at that dose, which I will explain next in relation to more of the discussion in Sally's article.

The Great Iodine Debate - Weston A Price Foundation
    Last edited by justaseeker; 03-16-2012 at 06:43 AM.
    I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

Justaseeker's Journal:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post778214

Iodine Research and Application Group:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group134.html

Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    I am definitely with you here in the low corner too! mostly, because like Nivanthe, as soon as I take ANY iodine I get the worst detox symptoms! 225 mcg! Seriously ONE PILL! ! The bloating was the worst, but the headachey, feeling kinda bleugh feeling left me wondering if it was worth it.

I have backed off, because I thought it might be because my pills only contained iodine, NOT iodide. So I am waiting for my Lugols 2% solution to arrive in the post before starting again.

Now that I have paused with the iodine, my primal weightloss and good energy has resumed as it was before. I'm disapointed because I want to cure my endometriosis, and this sounded like a good plan. But, I'm also worried about trashing my thyroid with too much, some folk are of the opinion that supplementation isn't necessarily a good thing... and we've heard jammies feeling like total crap on low doses:

And breadsauce getting ridged nails, NOT a good sign!

Breadsauce, I got those when I was taking Proton Pump Inhibitors longterm. They went away as soon as I weaned myself off them... so I sympathize. It's definitely a sign that something is not right.

Maybe iodine isn't for everyone? I mean, I know these 'appear' to be detox symptoms... but what if they are in fact, a negative reaction to the iodine? I know that's a controversial comment, but one worth discussing I think.

I eat a lot of seafood and seaweed, and seem to get no adverse reactions to those... could it just be the manufactured supplement form that doesn't agree with me? And not just me, but others too...?

Can we be sure that we're not confusing detox symptoms, with iodine 'poisoning'?

Have already shared my thoughts that excess iodine can be an issue - and that information is available at the Yahoo Iodine Group on this subject. I feel that everyone would benefit from joining that group. You don't have to try to read all the messages. You can set your membership to read only at the website and then use the search function for posts on topics that interest you and read the files/databases.

Would also be beneficial to read the articles that have been shared here, as they cover many of these topics and answer many questions. I find it helpful to make a hard copy of the articles and have started a ring binder for iodine info.

Btw, age 30 is not too young for perimenopause and perimenopausal symptoms can be more severe than menopause. The reason for that is the relative changes in hormonal status - more than absolute levels of hormones - drive many of the symptoms, like hot flashes and night sweats. Perimenopause can last up to 15 years before actual menopause starts. Not that I am diagnosing. Just saying.

These symptoms of excess heat, sleep disturbance, dream change can be either excess iodine, excess thyroid hormones, or detox. Fun, huh? There's highly likely going to be ongoing detective work with iodine therapy. Choosing to avoid iodine therapy and to live with symptoms/disorder is not necessarily going to make the situation any better, easier, or simpler.
    I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justaseeker View Post
    Have already shared my thoughts that excess iodine can be an issue - and that information is available at the Yahoo Iodine Group on this subject. I feel that everyone would benefit from joining that group. You don't have to try to read all the messages. You can set your membership to read only at the website and then use the search function for posts on topics that interest you and read the files/databases.

Would also be beneficial to read the articles that have been shared here, as they cover many of these topics and answer many questions. I find it helpful to make a hard copy of the articles and have started a ring binder for iodine info.

Btw, age 30 is not too young for perimenopause and perimenopausal symptoms can be more severe than menopause. The reason for that is the relative changes in hormonal status - more than absolute levels of hormones - drive many of the symptoms, like hot flashes and night sweats. Perimenopause can last up to 15 years before actual menopause starts. Not that I am diagnosing. Just saying.

These symptoms of excess heat, sleep disturbance, dream change can be either excess iodine, excess thyroid hormones, or detox. Fun, huh? There's highly likely going to be ongoing detective work with iodine therapy. Choosing to avoid iodine therapy and to live with symptoms/disorder is not necessarily going to make the situation any better, easier, or simpler.
    I agree with justaseeker. I was just on the iodine group because I remember reading that the liquid lugol's can help heal your stomach so I was researching for justaseeker. It's possible the iodine is getting hormones straightened out, hence the night sweats etc. I started getting hotter at night since doing the leptin reset so the iodine has not had that effect because I already have it.
    I'm hanging in the high end corner for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by KellyS View Post
    Just curious, what form of vitamin c is everyone using? I am having a hard time finding something other than ascorbic acid which is not recommended by Dr. B.
    I use KAL vitamin C powder - calcium ascorbate - easy on the stomach - 1 tsp = 4500 mg C & 500 mg calcium. I only use 1/2 tsp. Mix in water and use that to take my other supplements.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    I agree with justaseeker. I was just on the iodine group because I remember reading that the liquid lugol's can help heal your stomach so I was researching for justaseeker. It's possible the iodine is getting hormones straightened out, hence the night sweats etc. I started getting hotter at night since doing the leptin reset so the iodine has not had that effect because I already have it.
    I'm hanging in the high end corner for the time being
    I am far enough into post menopause that I haven't had hot flashes or night sweats in years - even with NO HRT at all in a few years. I did have pretty difficult perimenopausal and menopausal symptoms, and used low dose bio- identical estrogen with good symptom control.

Anyway, I had some issues - not severe - with sleep disturbance, heat & dreams, when I first started the Iodine therapy. That's why I quickly (after one week) stopped taking my low dose levothyroxine. I didn't know that I needed to do salted water and didn't think that I was having enough issues to do salt loading. Still, these night/sleep symptoms went away for me fairly quickly. Been sleeping well after week one.

So, liquid Lugols is supposed to heal the stomach? And, you were checking into that for me? Thanks! Find anything?

Iodine overall is supposed to be healing for the stomach mucosal lining, so I was also hopeful for that effect. Yet, iodine is also hard to ingest in the stomach. Iodine is so contradictory it seems!

Well, I know what I read and I know what my body tells me. Iodine2 Plus is supposed to be easier on the stomach than Lugols - but my stomach tells me that its hard on me. I have 2% Lugols that I got for topical application but I could try switching to that in place of the Iodine2 Plus and see what happens.
    Last edited by justaseeker; 03-16-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Justaseeker's Journal:

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    I am definitely with you here in the low corner too!
    Maybe iodine isn't for everyone? I mean, I know these 'appear' to be detox symptoms... but what if they are in fact, a negative reaction to the iodine? I know that's a controversial comment, but one worth discussing I think.

I eat a lot of seafood and seaweed, and seem to get no adverse reactions to those... could it just be the manufactured supplement form that doesn't agree with me? And not just me, but others too...?

Can we be sure that we're not confusing detox symptoms, with iodine 'poisoning'?
    My fears exactly! I don't want to try to alleviate some problems - and end up with much more severe (possibly irreversible) other ones.

Cutting out all wheat products, and other grains (except occasional white rice), getting rid of all industrial oils, eating more animal fat and coconut products, lots of veg and organic meat etc have worked wonders.

Weight loss, lower BP (the doctor had murmured about statins! no longer murmuring...!), asthma vastly improved, better sleep - these all happened without iodine. I'm sticking to small amounts which I am sure won't cause major disruption / problems.

And tracking RDA (which I am cagey about too - are they set for SAD eaters?) on Fit Day once a fortnight or so, jus to monitor if there are any major deficiencies showing up.

Moderation in all Supps!

FOR NEWCOMERS AND THOSE IN THE LOW DOSE CORNER TO CONSIDER:

"Some people find that they have far worse detox symptoms at a low dose because their body is looking for more, and reacts more drastically. You could try jumping to a higher dose for a day or so and see what happens. But if you don’t want to try that, there are other things to be working on. Are you continuing to take the companion nutrients? That will help prepare your body if you want to wait on trying the iodine again. Also moving your bowels 2-3 times a day is really essential to getting the toxins out of your system once they are moving, so getting that part in place first is very helpful. And taking the salt will help with the detox symptoms you can experience from the liver detoxing."

I had more detox symptoms at 25 mg than at 37.5 mg, btw.

Justaseeker's Journal:

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    fiercehunter,

I agree with justaseeker. Were you taking iodine supplements? What kind, what dosage & how long.
    Were you taking the required vitamin supplements every day? (salt, magnesium, selenium, & ATP Cofactors(B2/B3) )
    Have you done the Salt Flush 3 times a day for 3 days?
    If you were taking iodine you must stop, do the Salt Flush. Go read carefully the site "Stop The Thyroid Madness"

ESPECIALLY see this above site if your doctor wants to radiate (destroy) or surgically remove your thyroid.
    I suggest sending a Private Mail to member JDW who has been through this and will be a valuable help. She has several posts in this thread, several pages back, see this link to send her a message:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post718463

Also see our Iodine Introduction & References
    Grizz
    Thanks Grizz, I have not been addressing it because I feel it's hopeless. Currently I've once again gotten the dairy and grains out and am starting up with some cold therapy based on what I've read on Dr. Kruse's website. Thank you for the info though- I know I will need to look at iodine eventually.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    It is true that my detox symptoms were worse at 500mcg than 4mg. What convinces me that it is detox rather than iodine poisoning is that the symptoms disappear after a day or two of continued supplementation. I'm not entirely sure it is bromine detox specifically as I don't think we have the same levels of bromide in the environment here, and certainly not in food products. However there are all sorts of other nasties around.

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    It is true that my detox symptoms were worse at 500mcg than 4mg. What convinces me that it is detox rather than iodine poisoning is that the symptoms disappear after a day or two of continued supplementation. I'm not entirely sure it is bromine detox specifically as I don't think we have the same levels of bromide in the environment here, and certainly not in food products. However there are all sorts of other nasties around.
    bromides are from fire retardants, carpets, furniture, car upholstery, plane upholstery, children's sleepwear, cheap hair color, computers, some asthma medications etc...