Page 131 of 415 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 4145

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 131

smgj is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jlsaven View Post
    Just got my thyroid checked yesterday, and my TSH level, which was around 2 last year this time was 5.2 yesterday. Probably mainly due to complete life-change (this time last year I was a high-school teacher w/stable salary, etc and now I am a full-time graduate student with VERY little money). I am currently on a very low dose of levoxyl, which I'd like to eventually not have to take, but doesn't seem like this is the right time to go off! All the more reason to get my iodine levels up! EEEK! Also gives me hope that I'm supposed to feel more energized than I do now, as I feel so much better already than I have in the past. Amazing what a little iodine can do for me! Can't wait to feel the effects of a lot!
    Which dose do you do now?
    Dr Brownstein says that elevated TSH while supplementing with iodine should be overlooked. It may stay elevated for several months. It does NOT tell anything about your thyroid other than it's working full time to utillize the iodine. Add salt and selenium to support the normal function. If you are concerned - get levels of fT3 and fT4 checked.
    You should listen to this presentation by Dr. Brownstein. It touches upon elevated TSH when supplementing...
    Nutri-Link Part 4
    Female, have Hashimotos w/lots of antibodies treated with Erfa + levaxin (Norwegian equivalent to synthyroid)

jlsaven is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smgj View Post
    Which dose do you do now?
    Dr Brownstein says that elevated TSH while supplementing with iodine should be overlooked. It may stay elevated for several months. It does NOT tell anything about your thyroid other than it's working full time to utillize the iodine. Add salt and selenium to support the normal function. If you are concerned - get levels of fT3 and fT4 checked.
    You should listen to this presentation by Dr. Brownstein. It touches upon elevated TSH when supplementing...
    Nutri-Link Part 4
    I am currently on 625mcg, so not very much (and some topically also, which I know absorbs). My doctor is all concerned and wants to up my dose of the levoxyl, which I'm not so happy about. I'd like instead to see if she'll do the free T3/Free T4 test and get a better idea what's going on. I'm moving my dosage up more aggressively after the end of the quarter, but keeping things stable at the moment because my world's a little crazy... Thanks for the link - I'll watch that tonight. Dr. Brownstein's book just got here on inter-library loan, so I'm looking forward to reading it!

justaseeker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    Update: Been at 50mg today and yeaterday, taken all at one dose in the morning. Feeling great, no detox. I am not sure whether to stay here or go up in dosage.
    Congratulations! Personally, I'd probably stay there for awhile just in case there are a few detox symptoms just ahead. I'm betting that even if we don't have symptoms at 50 mgs, that we are still getting benefit. If we aren't facing a health crisis or dealing with a serious chronic illness, we can afford to wait a bit before pushing the dosage higher, IMO.
    I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

Justaseeker's Journal:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post778214

Iodine Research and Application Group:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group134.html

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post

ON THE SUBJECT OF THE B2/B3 or the ATP Cofactors which replace B2 & B3 here is the answer as to whether or not these are optional or should they be required co-nutrients. Simple enough question.

It is sooo difficult to get anyone to stick their neck out and say YES IT IS REQUIRED FOR the Iodine Therapy.
    Just tell me YES it is required or NO it is optional. So for now, this is the best we have. ATP Cofactors OR the b2/b3 will help speed up healing.

Grizz
    You would THINK that was a simple question, no? Actually, I think that the answer that Lynn gave you was only a slightly qualified "No - they are NOT optional" - or to put another way, "Yes, they are recommended for everyone".

She simply said, to paraphrase, if someone isn't interested in optimal healing, only wants so-so results, maybe even incomplete results, then sure - go ahead and skip the ATP cofactors.

What I also get from her statement is that B2 & B3 might NOT be mandatory - like salt loading - for dealing with detox symptoms so they can be safely omitted in that sense. But, detox symptoms are not the whole story here, are they?

After further reading, I had been coming to the conclusion that for OPTIMAL iodine benefit they weren't optional for anyone. So, I'm not surprised to see what Lynn had to say. I still plan to ALSO try Dr. B's suggested whole food sourced vitamin B complex. Should contain the right level of B2 & B3 but with the rest of the B complex.

Most of the time nutrients work best in context with whole foods and complete complexes. So, I'm going to maintain my iodine dose at one level while comparing the B complex with the Optimox ATP cofactors to see which one seems to work best.

Well, you know one thing this means, Grizz? Dr. Buist needs to update the "Bible" - where the ATP cofactors are presented as an optional supplement for some people and more specified for those with autoimmune thyroiditis.
    Last edited by justaseeker; 03-13-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    I feel like I ought to be wearing a bumper sticker that says: "Don't follow me I am lost." I am just a seeker like everyone else.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Quote Originally Posted by jlsaven View Post
    Just got my thyroid checked yesterday, and my TSH level, which was around 2 last year this time was 5.2 yesterday. Probably mainly due to complete life-change (this time last year I was a high-school teacher w/stable salary, etc and now I am a full-time graduate student with VERY little money). I am currently on a very low dose of levoxyl, which I'd like to eventually not have to take, but doesn't seem like this is the right time to go off! All the more reason to get my iodine levels up! EEEK! Also gives me hope that I'm supposed to feel more energized than I do now, as I feel so much better already than I have in the past. Amazing what a little iodine can do for me! Can't wait to feel the effects of a lot!
    Iodine can also cause raised TSH levels in the first six months to a year. See the iodine "Bible" for an explanation.

Justaseeker's Journal:

Aliophile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smgj View Post
    I don't do the salt loading every day, I admit. But some days I "feel" for it and then I take just a little in hot water. also believe that it needs to be an informed decision. Most of us will fit most of the protocol. That's why it evolved that way.
    I need to do more reading but I was under the impression the salt loading was helpful in the iodine loading/detox phase. Not quite clear on how salt requirements are affected when you take it down to 12.5mg after eliminating iodine uptake blockages and priming your thyroid with 50+mg.
    || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
    My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
    AND to be able to do my very first pull up!

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rrustad View Post
    Congratulations! Personally, I'd probably stay there for awhile just in case there are a few detox symptoms just ahead. I'm betting that even if we don't have symptoms at 50 mgs, that we are still getting benefit. If we aren't facing a health crisis or dealing with a serious chronic illness, we can afford to wait a bit before pushing the dosage higher, IMO.
    Thanks! I am not really trying to fix any serious illness. I have weight I want to lose (obviously) as well as the typical low energy, cold hands/feet, depressed outlook I had before that I can only attribute to my ZERO iodine diet. But I do feel quite great now already... Though it could be the amazing weather this week just as easily as the iodine. But I am not usually this affected by weather, positively or negatively.

I think you and Grizz are right. I am going to stay here at 50mg.

Are we confident that even in the absence of detox symptoms, we are ridding our bodies of the halogens AND replenishing our iodine in all our cells? Is 50mg enough to accomplish all this, even if it hasn't pushed a huge dump of bromine/chlorine/fluorine into the blood?

On quite a different note, my mom (battling breast cancer) is doing the iodine protocol. She is at 1 drop per day and detoxing quite terribly. Headaches, insomnia, depression. But she's a trooper and she's hanging in there!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    Thanks! I am not really trying to fix any serious illness. I have weight I want to lose (obviously) as well as the typical low energy, cold hands/feet, depressed outlook I had before that I can only attribute to my ZERO iodine diet. But I do feel quite great now already... Though it could be the amazing weather this week just as easily as the iodine. But I am not usually this affected by weather, positively or negatively.

I think you and Grizz are right. I am going to stay here at 50mg.

Are we confident that even in the absence of detox symptoms, we are ridding our bodies of the halogens AND replenishing our iodine in all our cells? Is 50mg enough to accomplish all this, even if it hasn't pushed a huge dump of bromine/chlorine/fluorine into the blood?

On quite a different note, my mom (battling breast cancer) is doing the iodine protocol. She is at 1 drop per day and detoxing quite terribly. Headaches, insomnia, depression. But she's a trooper and she's hanging in there!
    Is your mom doing the Salt Loading?

About your question regarding confidence that we are detoxing, even in the absence of detox symptoms....I'd say yes for two reasons. One reason is my experience with detox has shown me that detox doesn't have to be harsh to be effective. Some people who are into the whole detox lifestyle thing seem to want harshness and what I call the whole rodeo! That's more drama than I like, personally. And, while occasionally we may have some harsh symptoms to deal with - and that doesn't deter me - its not the goal, ya know?

The other reasons is based on something that I am reading right now about the antibacterial action of ingested iodine. Let me check a couple of things and I'll get back to you.

Justaseeker's Journal:

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rrustad View Post
    Is your mom doing the Salt Loading?

About your question regarding confidence that we are detoxing, even in the absence of detox symptoms....I'd say yes for two reasons. One reason is my experience with detox has shown me that detox doesn't have to be harsh to be effective. Some people who are into the whole detox lifestyle thing seem to want harshness and what I call the whole rodeo! That's more drama than I like, personally. And, while occasionally we may have some harsh symptoms to deal with - and that doesn't deter me - its not the goal, ya know?

The other reasons is based on something that I am reading right now about the antibacterial action of ingested iodine. Let me check a couple of things and I'll get back to you.
    Thanks! Yes she is doing the full protocol properly, and the salt loading. And she uses Celtic or one of the "pink" salts in her cooking as of this week.

Looking forward to hearing what else you can dig up!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think the side effects of detoxing only happen when the liver or kidneys are not coping with the workload and so the toxins are floating around causing symptoms. If the liver and kidneys are detoxing within their natural capacity then you wouldn't get symptoms. So not having detox signs is probably good because it means your organs are functioning as they should and are not overworking. That's how I understand it from recent reading anyway.