Page 12 of 415 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine Anyone? page 12

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Maybe I'll try that.

I had forgotten about what you said about the quality of your sleep but just saw it again. I cut my dose two nights ago and the last two nights I have had vivid nightmarish dreams and have woken up and laid awake a little before being able to go back to sleep. I don't know if it's related to cutting the dose or not since waking in the middle of the night happens to me sometimes anyway. But the nightmares were different.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    You can't get K2 from veggies. You are thinking of K which is very different from K2. The only vegetable sources of K2 are fermented soy in the form of natto and other microbial sources. Otherwise it can only be gained from animal sources. K2 is critical for bone and teeth development, and keeping arteries/heart clear of calcium deposits.
    Actually, our bodies naturally produce Vitamin K2 when "good" bacteria breaks down K1 into K2.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    @wildwabbit LOOK INTO HALOGENS! They include (Iodide, Fluoride, Chloride and Bromide)! Apparently when you have too much fluoride, Chloride, and/or bromide, they BLOCK receptors for IODINE! This is why I've stopped using fluoridated toothpaste! It's been shown that when you ingest iodine supplements, your body DETOXES fluoride/chloride/bromide!

I'd like to add, sure going high on iodine will give you immediate results of higher energy, etc. But I think it's one of those things that you should take a smaller dosage over time. I've heard of people taking 12 drops a day of 5% lugol's iodine. Those levels are a lot higher than you would get from eating natural foods. For me, taking one drop in a big glass of water every other day seems fine.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Bosnic,
    I am taking 12 mg iodoral from Amazon:
    Amazon.com: Optimox Iodoral 180 tabs: Health & Personal Care

This dosage includes both iodine and iodide, similar to lugols except tablet form. This 12 mg dosage duplicates what the Japanese get from their seafoods in a typical day.
    CLEARING UP THE IODINE CONFUSION PART 1

Lugols 5% Iodine liquid provides 6.25mg Iodine per drop. (The container does not say this) Details here:
    Lugol's Iodine solution - 5% Iodine and 10% Potassium Iodide 1 fl oz

Dr. Abrahm demonstrates that the role of iodine in the body goes far beyond its function of making thyroid hormones. Other possible functions include: helping to regulate moods, preventing cancer (especially in breasts, ovaries, uterus, prostate and thyroid gland), preventing and treating fibrocystic breasts in women, helping to regulate blood pressure, helping to regulate blood sugar and prevent and treat diabetes, and helping to prevent abnormal cardiac rhythms. For example, Japanese women, who have one of the lowest breast cancer rates in the world, ingest more than 13 mg of iodine daily from seaweed without suffering any adverse consequences. He further demonstrates that iodine tends to be antibacterial, antiviral, antiparasitic, and antifungal and that it enhances immune function. Furthermore, he suggests that suboptimal iodine intake may contribute to various thyroid abnormalities commonly seen today, including hypothyroidism (underactive), hyperthyroidism (overactive) and autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid (Hashimoto’s Disease)
    Lugol's Iodine Solution and information about iodine and iodine deficiency
    Iodine also detoxes mercury.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 01-31-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I'd like to add, sure going high on iodine will give you immediate results of higher energy, etc. But I think it's one of those things that you should take a smaller dosage over time.
    I agree with this. If you start having odd symptoms like out-of-the-ordinary acne, rashes, etc. (bromaderma) that signal detox from one of the halogens, it might make taking the higher doses very uncomfortable. It can be accomplished a little slower by backing off the iodine and taking a more gradual approach to supplementing. I had a horrible rash break out on the scalp when I started supplementing the iodine in daily increases, whether ingesting or by skin absorption (colored hair for years - halogens in the dye), and have cut back significantly so that things are manageable. I am not increasing again, but much more slowly than before to give my body time to rid itself of the bromide. If you have detox symptoms, salt flushes and supplementing with 200mg selenium and 1000mg+ vitamin C can help. It certainly has me.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    @wildwabbit LOOK INTO HALOGENS! They include (Iodide, Fluoride, Chloride and Bromide)! Apparently when you have too much fluoride, Chloride, and/or bromide, they BLOCK receptors for IODINE! This is why I've stopped using fluoridated toothpaste! It's been shown that when you ingest iodine supplements, your body DETOXES fluoride/chloride/bromide!
    Understood, that was the theory I had followed on gut instinct. I just never expected the difference to be so obvious.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Actually, our bodies naturally produce Vitamin K2 when "good" bacteria breaks down K1 into K2.
    Source? I haven't seen this mentioned before in all the articles/books I read on K2, but it could be I didn't pay attention...(which is likely)

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Thyroid Research | Full text | Assessment of Japanese iodine intake based on seaweed consumption in Japan: A literature-based analysis

According to the above, maximum Japanese intake is between 1-3 mg (1000-3000 μg) per day.

Not to say that more isn't ideal, and I didn't check any sources, just providing more information. It's still much more than the RDA.
    Last edited by DubleYoo; 01-31-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    DubleYoo,
    Thanks for that. Nice article and that confirms my plans to drop back to a 1mg dose per day from 12 mg/day after my Iodine Skin Test finally passes muster for 24 hours. Been on 12 mg/day of iodoral for 5 days now with zero problems.
    1 mg/day is the dose recommended by Dr. Wm Davis: Thyroid Tune-up Checklist | Wheat Belly

From Lugol's Iodine Solution and information about iodine and iodine deficiency
    Iodine is an essential mineral, in that it must be found in one's diet. The body has no way to produce its own iodine. Seventy to eighty percent of iodine is found in the thyroid gland in the neck. The rest is distributed throughout the body, particularly in the ovaries, muscles, and blood. A deficiency of iodine can lead to hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone levels); symptoms of this condition include sluggishness, weight gain, and sensitivity to temperature changes. In infants and children, hypothyroidism can impair physical and mental development.

Iodine deficiency has also been associated with ovarian cysts, breast cancer, thyroid goiter and hypothyroidism. Recent work in the field of iodine deficiency has shown that replacement therapy decreases the risk of breast cancer and promotes the reversal of fibrocystic breast disease.

Dr. Guy Abraham has proposed that the optimal daily dose of iodine for a person is approximately 12.5 mg, which is 100 times the RDA of 0.125 mg. He believes that the current prevailing medical opinion that more than 2 mg a day of iodine is toxic is wrong. He traces the source of this major blunder to a scientific experiment on rats that was published in 1948 by Drs. Wolff and Chaikoff, which erroneously concluded that iodine inhibits the thyroid gland at doses of about 20 times the recommended daily allowance (RDA) for iodine. This conclusion was later generalized to humans and can be found in medical textbooks, including endocrinology and nutrition textbooks.

The commonly accepted medical opinion is that iodine’s only role in the body is to help make thyroid hormones. Although this is an extremely important function, Abraham demonstrates that the role of iodine in the body goes far beyond its function of making thyroid hormones. Other possible functions include: helping to regulate moods, preventing cancer (especially in breasts, ovaries, uterus, prostate and thyroid gland), preventing and treating fibrocystic breasts in women, helping to regulate blood pressure, helping to regulate blood sugar and prevent and treat diabetes, and helping to prevent abnormal cardiac rhythms. For example, Japanese women, who have one of the lowest breast cancer rates in the world, ingest more than 13 mg of iodine daily from seaweed without suffering any adverse consequences. He further demonstrates that iodine tends to be antibacterial, antiviral, antiparasitic, and antifungal and that it enhances immune function. Furthermore, he suggests that suboptimal iodine intake may contribute to various thyroid abnormalities commonly seen today, including hypothyroidism (underactive), hyperthyroidism (overactive) and autoimmune inflammation of the thyroid (Hashimoto’s Disease)
    Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    There are also Iodine Receptors in every cell in the body. Unfortunately, these receptors also attract halogenic toxic pollutants, which then kick out the iodine. Chemicals halogens (class of chemicals to which iodine belongs) fluoride, bromine and bromides, and chlorine are in everything from bread, water, toothpaste, bakery goods, insecticides, and this is another reason to take iodine supplements... to kick these pollutants out of our cells. Yes, Iodine does a full body detox if these toxic chemicals.

Read this shocking report, Battle of the Halogens!
    Bromide Poisoning May Be the Cause of Your Headaches, Bad Mood and Thyroid Problems!

Grizz