Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Terry Wahl's research? page 2

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This study lists the Wahls diet as one of the therapies they are studying. The study is still recruiting patients so it is still ongoing. It doesn't say what phase the trial is so perhaps she has preliminary data or some phase one data and now is moving forward with more patients?

Nutrition, Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES) and Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (SPMS) - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

As a side note, there a hundreds of other trials going on for MS right now. If you look through there are quite a few trials testing vitamin D, vitamin A, alpha-lipoic acid, different exercise strategies, and diet (granted it is a low fat diet, but still it is diet).
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/result...ple+sclerosis+

So this idea that people have around here that the ONLY way a trial gets done is if big pharma can make billions on it is just wrong. The system is undoubtedly skewed that way but there is fantastic, non-profit driven research that goes on all over the place.

One example of this is the Immune Tolerance Network. They will only fund research that is designed to treat autoimmune diseases in a curative way - no ongoing expensive drugs are allowed. There is no profit in this - only hope for cure for autoimmune disease. It's not all doom and gloom.

tanya_wyatt is offline Junior Member

Dr. Wahls conference data

Dr. Wahls was referring to the Society for Neuroscience (SfN) conference that took place in Washington D.C. this year. Along with my research on using stem cells for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy (not to boast haha), her work was presented as a hot topic and can be found here : 2011 Society for Neuroscience Hot Topics if you download the program. It will only give you her abstract as she presented a poster at the conference that showed all of her data.

ppham27 is offline Member
    Her abstract:
    OASIS

Pretty impressive results, I think.

amdws1234 is offline Member
    She blows me away. My biggest thought though was how in the world are you supposed to eat that much food? Since starting this, I hardly eat two meals a day. I am just not hungry anymore! I tried a few days to eat like she suggested (9 cups of veg), no way... I even cooked the kale down thinking that would help... no way!

lassie383 is offline Junior Member
    Hi all, I have MS and am intensely interested in Terry Wahl's protocol. I cannot eat 9 cups of food per day. So what I do is juice twice a day. I juice kale (sometimes spinach or parsley), 1/2-1 beet, 1 or 2 carrots, sometimes asparagus or broccoli ends, a small apple for taste. I also ride a stationary bike twice a day. So far I am still pretty crippled, but it has only been a few months. I was progressing pretty fast, having transitioned from relapsing/remitting MS to secondary progressive MS (after 12 years, I've had MS for 15 years now). I tried various non drug interventions, culminating in stem cells on 6 December 2011. Starting in January I have been doing the juicing. It took Terry 8 months, so it's only been 3 for me. I think it may be helping.

RRR
    RRR is offline Junior Member

Wahls abstract

Quote Originally Posted by ppham27 View Post
    Her abstract:
    OASIS

Quote Originally Posted by ppham27 View Post
    Her abstract:
    OASIS

Hard to say without a control. The TED talk led me to expect more.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Um, no censorship folks.

She's written a book and is looking for a publisher: Up From The Chair-Defeating Progressive MS without Drugs | Dr Wahls New Book | Food as Medicine

Lots of other links to books & previous research on her site.

And you know what's really cool? Her son is Zach Wahls!
    OH SHIT SON! This is so awesome sauce!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    OH SHIT SON! This is so awesome sauce!
    Yes, it is.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget that she started out using supplements to get everything she needed. She then designed her diet to cover all the vitamins and minerals she needed. So maybe you need to start with the supplements? Would be easier to get what you need taking a few pills than all that food.

Quote Originally Posted by lassie383 View Post
    Hi all, I have MS and am intensely interested in Terry Wahl's protocol. I cannot eat 9 cups of food per day. So what I do is juice twice a day. I juice kale (sometimes spinach or parsley), 1/2-1 beet, 1 or 2 carrots, sometimes asparagus or broccoli ends, a small apple for taste. I also ride a stationary bike twice a day. So far I am still pretty crippled, but it has only been a few months. I was progressing pretty fast, having transitioned from relapsing/remitting MS to secondary progressive MS (after 12 years, I've had MS for 15 years now). I tried various non drug interventions, culminating in stem cells on 6 December 2011. Starting in January I have been doing the juicing. It took Terry 8 months, so it's only been 3 for me. I think it may be helping.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sroelofs View Post
    Don't forget that she started out using supplements to get everything she needed. She then designed her diet to cover all the vitamins and minerals she needed. So maybe you need to start with the supplements? Would be easier to get what you need taking a few pills than all that food.
    While that is true it's is much less effective.
    It has been shown time and again in testing that isolated vitamins from supplements are much less effective than those from foods.

Really probably better off juicing or blending and drinking some those veggies, and eating some, than taking a pill.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast