Thread: Mexican Style Sweet potato risotto page

msojka is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Mexican Style Sweet potato risotto

Today I was making chicken and onions with a homemade red enchilada sauce and was thinking that normally a Mexican Rice dish would go well with this. Remembering from a Gordon Ramsay show that a chef in the final restaurant showdown made a potato risotto I though well why not try it with sweet potatoes?

This is what I came up with and it was excellent. The biggest amount of time was dicing the sweet potato up into very small cubes maybe double the size of big rice grain.

Ingredients:
    1 large sweet potato (I used an organic Japanese sweet potato, but any would work)
    2 teaspoons fresh made chile powder (store bought is fine)
    2 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons olive oil (I think you could substitute coconut oil here and for the butter)
    1/2 cup beer (wine would work)
    1 cup green salsa (I used homemade tomatillo that had onions, jalapenos, tomatillos garlic, and bell peppers). I think any salsa, red or green, would be fine
    1 shallot diced
    3 ounces of bacon

Directions:
    In a 2.5 or 3 qt saucepan, cook bacon until almost done and remove
    Add butter
    Cook shallot 2 - 3 minutes
    Add oil
    Add sweet potato, chile powder, bacon and 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Cook for 5 minutes stirring often
    Add beer
    Cook for about 4 minutes getting any burned bits off the bottom of the sauce pan and until liquid is absorbed
    Add salsa and cook another 8 minutes and add more liquid if it gets too dry

Serve!

My wife, 23 year old son who is about 95% paleo, and I thought this was better than our previously beloved mexican rice recipe. And, it went well with the chicken and onions smothered in red enchilada sauce. There are many variations you could do of this, I think, like substituting wine for beer and cream for the salsa and using different spices and adding a little cheese the last 2 minutes, etc. The possibilities are limitless.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    This sounds great! Could you perhaps grate sweet potato on a coarse grater?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

grating

The sweet potato I used certainly seemed of a texture that would stand up to grating. Grating might tend to cause more of the potatoes moisture to escape. The only reason I cut the sweet potato first into slices and then long strips and then dicing was because that was how I remembered it from the TV show. The cutting took a long time and I was thinking of ways to reduce prep time but had not to this point.

If you try grating, let me know how it worked. The grater size is going to be important as texture is key in this dish and if you start to shred the potato then you will end up with something like hash browns which is not what I was looking for.

Sweet Potato Risotto w/Wine and Cream

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i cooked some bacon wrapped wahoo with a curry/brown sugar coating and to go with that used the sweet potato risotto recipe above but substituted wine for the beer, 1/8 tspn tarragon for the chile powder and cream for the salsa. Did not use any bacon. Added 3 tablspns of fresh grated parmesan at the end and cooked for 3 more minutes. Delicious!