Thread: How to Cook Marrow Bones? page

musajen is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

After watching a video on FatHead of Tom's daughers going to town on a plate of marrow bones I've been wanting to try them. I've searched the internets for suggestions on how to cook marrow bones and I'm at a loss.

So far I've found how to make broth and how to bread and fry marrow and smear it on a baguette as an appetizer.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

Mr B Guest

same here. lol

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Get bones long cut if you can!

As for marrow:

You should soak it in heavily salted water to extract the blood, or else the flavor will be compromised. Just put bones in a container, cover with water and put salt in it... I would say about 1-2 Tbl per 1/2 gallon. But really, you cant mess it up. Stick in fridge and wait overnight. Dump old water (should be pink w blood) and do another saltwater soak. I usually soak for about 1 day, which means about 2-3 changes of water.

Heat oven to 450F

Put marrow bones in a pan.

Roast for about 15-20 or so min. You want he marrow to jiggle and be a liiiiitle melty.

Serve with a simple salad of parsley, lemon juice, pepper and parmesan. Best on toast really, but do what you like.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-cow-do-i-want
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

maba is offline Senior Member

I broiled some goat bones today and made a broth soup with it. But they didn't have a whole lot of marrow. I'll have to look for beef bones, love marrow.

musajen is offline Junior Member

Awesome! Thanks Tara!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Made some last night!!! YUM!! Ill make a pic tutorial next time I make them.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

CrossFix Guest

Tara knows her stuff... There is this place in LA called Pizzeria Mozza I used to always get these at. They were around 18 bucks for 4 pieces. I would down 4 plates in a sitting no problem.

One day I was walking through the grocery store and saw that they sold the bones uncooked. I decided to try googling/cooking it myslef. I saw the exact recipe Tara posted. I'm addicted to those things and eat them 2x a week at least.

One thing I would add is:

Peel yourself one garlic clove per bone. Get some aluminum foil and fold a small little cup. Put butter or olive oil in the aluminum cup you made until it fills enough to soak some garlic cloves under. put the garlic in the olive oil (or butter) and cook it right next to the bones in the oven.

When the bones are done eat 1 piece roasted garlic with the marrow... it is like crack in bone marrow form.

Good luck!

vonterschpe Guest

I'm having weird cravings/desires for food...

After reading the brain thread I'm wondering about all different kinds of foods and what they taste like. Recently I've started to eat fish and really enjoy it. I also read an thread a few days ago about eating bugs. Idk about that just about as much as idk about eating brains.

But I've always wondered about eating bone marrow. I'm thinking I'll give it a try sometime in the near future if i can ever afford anything besides eggs, dairy, and frozen vegetables; I'm in college... lol.

jkilbane is offline Junior Member

I just got done making beef/lamb stock. When I ate the marrow that was left over I immediately wanted to get more marrow. That is some of the most delicious stuff... Thanks for all of the tips.