Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best removable pull up bar page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

best removable pull up bar

Shop Now
    I've been sitting on my laurels for far too long and have decided to begin some body weight exercises. I was inspired by Cheapo's post about simplefit and have decided to begin pull-ups, push-ups, and squats. As I read over his post last night, I saw some discussion of "door gyms" -- hit google this morning and now, read reviews, and am now confused as to the best one for our needs.

I'm 5' 6'' and about 150 and my husband is 6' 4" and 185 or so. We live in an older house, and I want to make sure what I order will work for us. The reviews I read on amazon were quite mixed -- lots of good ones mixed in with severals 1's, claiming the bar fell right down or didn't fit the frame at all. Here are the two doors we'd likely use.

The first is 79 inches tall (pretty short) and 32 inches wide (inside frame). There is only a small space (less than inch, I'd say) between the molding on the one side and wall.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahwall/...in/photostream

The other is a doorway (not door frame per se). It's 7.5 feet tall and 38 inches wide. The wood molding is flush with the ceiling so nothing could be placed on or over molding.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahwall/...in/photostream

If anyone can give input or a recommendation as to a bar you like that should fit my door options, I would greatly appreciate it, as I'd love to place an order today. Thanks!
    Last edited by Angieh; 12-29-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Added pics of my two doors.

donnieR32 is offline Member
    I got the Iron gym from Target for like 20 bucks. I use it everyday in my bedroom doorway. I weigh about 180lbs and it holds me just fine.

Thanks, I will look it up. Price sounds right!

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I like my "Door Gym" (Cosar International DG Door Gym). Found it online for like 20 or 25. It's removable and doesn't leave marks, and you can flip her over and get some pushups or even dips in (not real full dips, but better than nothing if you have no access). It also has some padded foam where your hands go for the pullups. Not to be a wuss, but I have so many damn calluses from the barbell that it's nice to do my chins with some padding.

Thanks, Primalest. I'm going to look that one up now.

lev96 is offline Member
    I use the Perfect Multi Gym Pullup. I like the way the pads rest on the frame (on the sides) better than the others. Here it is on Amazon, but you may be able to find it cheaper.

Amazon.com: Perfect Multi-Gym Pullup: Sports & Outdoors
    Last edited by lev96; 12-30-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donnieR32 View Post
    I got the Iron gym from Target for like 20 bucks. I use it everyday in my bedroom doorway. I weigh about 180lbs and it holds me just fine.
    This is what I use as well. I'm about 160lbs and it works great.

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Door gym is what I've used for over 10 years. Love it.

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Side clearance is a problem on all my doorways.
    It looks like the doorway in your first picture has poor clearance on one side.

Here is a small doorway bar. Scroll down to see pics of it mounted.
    UD5 Doorway Pull up bar
    Seem like you could slide the bar an inch or two to one side, and still have enough open doorway area to swing in.
    Also there are several videos on the site showing the items being used, viewing them might allay concerns or show potential problems.
    Last edited by springnr; 12-31-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast