Thread: PRIMAL JOURNAL ~Carmiel~ page

Carmiel is offline Junior Member

PRIMAL JOURNAL ~Carmiel~

Primal Fuel
    The first book I read that really opened my eyes was Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It by Gary Taubs. I started doing some more research on nutrition after that and came across the Paleo stuff. I read The Primal Blue Print and I was hooked.

I had nearly convinced myself that I was just destined to be overweight and that it was okay as long as I was healthy but deep down, I didn’t really believe that. I thought I was doing everything right. I ate lots of whole grains; brown rice, oatmeal and whole wheat bread were my staples. I was not a junk food vegetarian at all (actually in retrospect I guess I was I just didn’t know it.) I worked out regularly at the gym, often with a trainer. I was healthy but I was overweight. One of my friends told me once that I was the only fat vegetarian she knew but I bet there are a lot of us out there.

I have started working out at a new gym that opened near my house. I am so glad I checked this gym out. It's small (actually it was a Blockbuster in it's previous incarnation) and it's not fancy but the guys that own it are awesome and very knowledgable about paleo type nutrition and fitness. You walk in and everyone says hi, it's a nice change from the gym I went to before where I felt like they were just after my money.
    Last edited by Carmiel; 12-30-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Setting goals

I am so bad at keeping a journal...I started this journal in December of 2011 and this is my second entry I decided to try this again in hope that if I make at least a kind of regular report on my progress it will help me to stick to my goals. I read MDA every single day so it should not be a real stretch to actually write something. I do need to get over my shyness about posting - being an introvert sucks - maybe forcing myself to do this will help with that as well.

I have come a very long way since my last journal. I am still working out at the same gym and during that process found out that I am pretty strong. I have actually entered (and won) several power lifting competitions and even managed to set 3 American records along the way. Next week I will be 56 and had never even lifted a barbell until two years ago! I try to remind myself that there really isn't that much competition in the old lady category but there is some and winning the medals and setting a few records has been a lot of fun, it keeps me working towards my goals.

Here are my goals for the next six weeks leading up to my next competition:

• Lose another 7-10 pounds so that I can compete in the 165 lb weight class, I am so close but want to be well under so there is no weigh-in stress.
    • Keep my carbs below 30 g and my calories below 1400 each day.
    • Hit a deadlift PR of 300 in hopes of a competition lift of 310 or maybe even 320.
    • Hit a bench press PR of 150 leading up to a competition lift of 155.
    • Hit a squat PR of 230 and hopefully a competition squat of 250.
    • Write something in this journal every day.

I won't try the PR's until I get closer to the meet but I do plan on reporting my daily progress with the other goals starting tomorrow.
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Report on 3/12/14:

Calories - 1360.
    Carbs - 47g

After twelve years of being a vegetarian I still love the veggies and fruits. I am going to have to work harder at keeping down the carbs for the next six weeks. I may give myself just one day of the week when I stay within calories but don't worry about ratios, that might make this a little more tolerable.

Workout last night included 5 sets of bench. 3 reps each at 130. I felt pretty strong although I am still struggling with foot position so that I get maximum help from legs and abs but keep my butt on the bench. It seems like just when I get my form to where it feels right, something changes or happens and I have to figure it all out again. Weight lifting seems to be a continual process of figuring things out!
    Martin Luther King Jr.

Report on 3/13/14:

Calories - 1358
    Carbs - 53g

Blueberries and kefir put me over the top on carbs but 30 is a goal right???

Workout last night included some light reps of deadlift 5 sets of 8 at 205 and some light squats with a pause at the bottom, 4 sets of 4 reps at 155. I did a little supplemental work after that.
    Martin Luther King Jr.