Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inherent Insectivores (Where can I get some?) page

Vlah is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I want to ask about an often over looked food source. I know this sounds strange, but after alot of research I've come to the realization we are meant to eat insects/grubs as a primary food source. The very first primate mammals were nocturnal insectivores. The vast majority of their diet consisted of just insects. As primates we are specialized at eating insects. Why do all primates have opposable thumbs and precision grip? It's for picking at insects/lice/grubs ect...

They're high in protein, a moderate amount of healthy fats, and low in carbohydrates. Not to mention they're jam packed with vitamins. After alot of research I'm almost ready to say that we NEED insects as part of a healthy primal diet. (Even now, as I hit the space bar with thumb, I realize that it's in our genes to eat 'em.)

SO I've read an old article on here about this and I'm ready to jump on the insect train. I'm not going to lie I'm a little intimidated by it since I've never eaten a bug in my life, but I figure it can't be that bad alot of people around the world eat them and really is it more bizarre to eat a grub than a chicken or an oyster? so where I get them? Anyone have any ideas? ...Other than going out with a shovel and trying to dig through the dirt. Grok might've done it, but Grok didn't live in Canada durring winter. Also anyone ever try any? Are they good or should I just stick with the chicken?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Well, you could always wait until summer before taking the leap. I know bugs are pretty plentiful around here and have looked into making culinary use of our slug overpopulation- but they seem to be more work than their worth.

One of these days I'm going to go to the pet store and purchase some mealworms for just such an adventure. I haven't done it yet, as it typically slips my mind until a discussion such as this comes up.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Ill tell you I love lemon ants but you can only get those in the rainforest I think.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Dagny is offline Member

I had some chocolate covered bugs when I was in Germany, I remember that the ants and caterpillers were my favorites.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

You can buy crickets and grasshoppers from petshops, to feed reptiles - I'd raise them on for a week or so to make sure they've eaten good stuff (veg mainly), then I believe the people of south east Asia deep fry them.... happy munching!

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

insects are great, particularly grubs. worth noting that most peoples that consume insects fry them up, so you definitely are racking up the healthy fats and getting in some nice dense protein as well.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

Second the comments about frying them. I've had some pretty good crickets fried in chili-infused sesame oil (not ideal, of course, but there's no replacing it for some applications). One word of advice, though, the legs are the freakiest part. You may want to work up to that and just eat de-limbed insects to start.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Katt is offline Senior Member

Wouldn't opposable thumbs also have been great for grasping branches while swinging through trees?

I'm not sure I'm ready for bugs yet. LOL.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

I'd do it if fried. I'm the opposite. I'd eat the legs and then have a hard time stomaching the mushy, gushy, white 'guts' part....

That's the ONLY thing that's kept me from trying them so far....

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

It tends to be larger bugs (like tarantulas) that have more of a 'squish' factor in the middle. It's really not bad with most.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast