Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael's Primal Journal (Hang on...This is a BIG ONE!)

Hybrid View

Michael's Primal Journal (Hang on...This is a BIG ONE!)

Hello all!

My goal is to provide updates to my journal several times a week from now until I reach my goal weight/BF%...and hopefully after! Provided I have the will power to continue this until that day I'll have a huge success story to tell and should be able to be an inspiration to others...That's the plan anyway. Without further ado, here's the background:

I'm 28 years old and, with the exception of my junior & senior year of high school, have struggled with my weight my whole life. In high school I was on a championship baseball team two years in a row and worked out diligently. At least three times a week for a couple hours in the weight room followed by three miles or so on the track and then hours in the bullpen for practice (I was a catcher). With that schedule I was able to eat whatever I wanted and didn't have to worry about having a weight problem. After high school I went straight to college and kept eating the same way but stopped working out entirely...Then I married a woman that didn't know how to cook and worked at Domino's while finishing my degree. This resulted in late night meals of pizza, wings, breadsticks, and the occasional "healthy" treat of frozen pastas with sauce. As a result and a continuously sedentary lifestyle my weight roller coastered (if that's even a word) to a high of 500 pounds. January of 2011 I knew things had to change...

I started P90X and had significant reductions in waist, chest, hips, etc. and weighed at the end at 493. After completing one round of P90X I just stopped...I continued eating a somewhat healthy CW diet with frequent splurges thrown in. In August, I decided to enter a 5K along with a coworker and started training through the "Couch to 5K" program while "buckling" down on my diet. I tracked every morsel of food I ate and logged it on Livestrong.com. I finally had a chance to weigh on a medical scale at my parents and saw that I'd lost a whopping 4 pounds from the previous weigh-in, 489. That was mid-September. I had been reading MDA for a while and felt like it was "too easy" but was so frustrated I decided to give it a shot. I continue training for my 5K but cut out carbs and focused on eating meat, fruits and veggies. As of Saturday, December 24, I weighed 440. I am pumped about my progress and cannot wait to see where this next year takes me!

My goal for 2012 is 150 pounds...and my final destination is a sub-10% BF reading...whatever weight that happens to be at. Based on my fitness level in high school I think that'll be somewhere in the 220-225 range.

I'm entering a weight loss competition at work and am hoping that will give me a great jump on the new year and my new goal. Thanks for the inspiration that this forum has already provided and I'm looking forward to being an inspirational "Friday Success Story" for someone in the not too distant future!

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Here's a pic of me in high school (far right in the back) and one from early September.

Good for you! I hope you make it to 150. I want to see you in Mark's Success Story series.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Yesterday marked the first success in another major lifestyle overhaul...intermittent fasting. I fasted from 8:30ish Monday evening to 5:30 Tuesday evening...and felt great! I definitely felt like I had extra time in my day to focus on other things. The biggest struggle was the boredom. I was at work and had to fight the urge to go buy some food. Not because I was famished and needed to eat but because that's what I normally do around lunch time. I'm going to work on keeping myself busy on the days I fast just to keep my mind occupied. I've done a lot of reading on theleansaloon.com (shut down now I think?) and leangains. I'm excited about the potential and the way I felt yesterday. I felt like I had more energy throughout the day...I felt so good in fact I'm giving it another go today! I'm hoping this will accelerate my weight loss and help me reach that distant goal a little bit quicker.

Are there any other IF resources y'all recommend? I've read a lot of Mark's comments, theleansaloon site and leangains. I'm considering purchasing the "Eat Stop Eat" ebook (any feedback there?) but like to research from as many different sources as possible.

Thanks for reading and for your support!

Day two of fasting is well underway. I had brisket with salad and avocadoes for dinner last night and snacked on some fruit shortly before going to bed (about 10:30). So far today I've only had water and coffee. The coffee makes me feel like I'm getting a little something even though the calories are negligible. I'll have some taco salad tonight for supper and may whip up some eggs if I get hungry later in the evening. Once again the hunger isn't overwhelming and I feel like my energy levels are definitely higher...Super excited about this and can't wait to hop on a scale later in the week to check my progress.

Welcome to you and congrats on your weight loss so far!

Sometimes people have issues with starting IF'ing right off the bat, so if you find yourself having issues with it then it might be best just to focus on the food choices first.

Some people fast through breakfast, but for me it seems to work best if I eat a big breakfast and either fast through lunch or eat lunch and fast through dinner. It's really about what your body responds to the best.

150 pounds in a year is definitely doable, and a journal is a great start! Best of luck!!
    “It's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
    Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassanina View Post
    Welcome to you and congrats on your weight loss so far!

Sometimes people have issues with starting IF'ing right off the bat, so if you find yourself having issues with it then it might be best just to focus on the food choices first.

Some people fast through breakfast, but for me it seems to work best if I eat a big breakfast and either fast through lunch or eat lunch and fast through dinner. It's really about what your body responds to the best.

150 pounds in a year is definitely doable, and a journal is a great start! Best of luck!!

Thanks for your response! I'm actually surprised at how well I've been able to handle the fasting thing! I've been hungry but yesterday and today I felt that I could have gone longer without eating and still felt great! I attribute that to the strict(ish) PB that I've been following since mid-September.

I have a weight loss challenge at work coming up that I want to demolish the competition in...My goal for the 10 weeks is to lose about 60 pounds...that should be about 12% of my body weight. I don't know if that's realistic or not but that's my goal...That's about 6 pounds a week! It's a daunting goal but I think I'm going to manage it. Here's how I'm planning on doing it:

Intermittent Fasting-I'd like to fast for a minimum of 16 hours per day through the week and eating to satiety in the evenings a la Leangains.
    Body weight workouts PB style.
    Low carb meals in the evenings and weekends.
    Long walks around the neighborhood whenever I can fit them in.

I'm fairly confident that I'm be able to meet my goal and even if I don't I'll be closer than I was at the beginning. I know most don't respond to these journals but I'll continue to post updates in an attempt to keep myself motivated and keep a log of my progress for future reference.

Thumbs up

Exciting update today! I IFed the past two days and basically limited myself to one meal and one snack in the evening. I went 19 hours and 17 hours between meals on those two days and this morning I saw the result on the scale...438!

The last time I weighed was Saturday morning immediately upon waking and I weighed 440. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday I allowed myself to indulge through the holidays and even ate some cookies, biscuits & gravy, a sandwich, etc. on Monday. In two days I've overcome any of the weight gain I had from the Christmas weekend and lost two additional pounds! Super excited about this and can't wait to see what's in store as I continue this protocol for the first couple months of the new year. I'm thinking the competition may be in the bag...

Congrats on your weight loss so far, that's great!!

I think that for your size, 60 pounds in 10 weeks if definitely doable. Looking forward to seeing your progress!
    “It's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
    Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

Day Three of my IF experiment is pretty much in the bag...Words cannot describe how I feel about this! I've had more energy the past three days than I have in quite a while. I've not experienced unbearable hunger or anything despite going nearly 20 hours between meals the past three days in a row! I weighed this morning before getting dressed for work and weighed 438...tonight I weighed with work clothes on (shirt, dress pants, etc) and weighed 440. I know that the weight difference is clothing but it's exciting to see that my body's adapting and the fasting is working the way it should...

I'm hoping to smash my goals for the next year early and possibly finish off the weight loss journey if things keep going this well!
    Goal: 230 @ 10% BF (preferably less)

Follow my progress here:
    My Blog | My MDA Journal

Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    I think you are doing really well. Limiting carbs is the only way I can lose any weight, CW low fat/calorie counting just does not cut it for me. Good luck with it and frankly, if you keep up the good work it will be entirely due to you, not luck!
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook