Thread: Protein for a heavy lifter page

cariboo87 is offline Junior Member

Protein for a heavy lifter

Hello everyone, I am new to the site and have just recently hopped onto the Primal way train.

I have been in the gym most of my life, im a big man 6'2 270 but have been lifting heavy for a long time. My goal is to feel better, get rid of the fat as I have alot of muscle. I was wondering is there a protein shake that fits into the Primal way diet? I dont want to lose any muscle really and need to keep my protein intake up. Anyone have any ideas or know of any shakes that fit the diet guidelines?

thanks for the help, this site is amazing and alot of you are very inspiring.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    Mark sales some protien powders that may be what you need. Of course I am going to recomend you only use protien powder as a stopgap supplement and you should make every effort to fulfill most if not all your protien needs with cow, fowl, fish and eggs. It should'nt be hard to hit 250g of protien a day. I hit 180 without even eating hard.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

tarek is online now Senior Member
    Most protein powders are garbage, especially whey. Whey, in theory, could be good, but most of it (even the "high quality" stuff) is far too over-processed to be considered healthful. Egg white protein is a better alternative. There are several plant-based protein powders on the market that are decent (brown rice, pea, hemp, etc.). Avoid soy protein at all costs.

Monika is offline Member
    I enjoy lifting heavy... and I supplement with Bluebonnet Whey Protein...it's the most clean powder out there. Bluebonnet’s Whey Protein Isolate is sourced from grass-fed cows in New Zealand that are not treated with antibiotics or recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH), also known as bovine somatotropin (BST).. It's frickin purfekt!

Check it out, you decide Bluebonnet Nutrition - Bluebonnet Nutrition

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monika View Post
    I enjoy lifting heavy... and I supplement with Bluebonnet Whey Protein...it's the most clean powder out there. Bluebonnet’s Whey Protein Isolate is sourced from grass-fed cows in New Zealand that are not treated with antibiotics or recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH), also known as bovine somatotropin (BST).. It's frickin purfekt!

Check it out, you decide Bluebonnet Nutrition - Bluebonnet Nutrition
    Great, another reason to move to New Zealand.

I use Biotest's Metabolic Drive whenever I have to. Which is about twice per month. I just mix it with some greek yogurt or coconut milk as a pudding type of substance. Add in some coconut, nuts, whatever.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I just use Optimum Whey. I don't use it that often. I wouldn't bother with Mark's. It's very expensive. Whether or not whey is "crap" is irrelevant if you want it to meet your goals. It's not a terrible protein, and in most people it doesn't have too many bad effects. If the good outweighs the bad....

Anyway, you want to find something that is not contaminated with casein and contains purely whey. I am interested in the above post about egg white protein. That's almost as bioavailable a source as whey and obviously more paleo friendly, so that might be a good idea.

I've heard good things about TrueProtein, but I have no experience.