Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we need fruits and veggies page

Do we need fruits and veggies

Primal Fuel
    So I have been sound a lot of research on a zero carb diet. Those who fallow the diet claim we don't need to eat fruits and veggies at all. I then asked them what about the vitamins and minerals. I was told that they are healthier then they ever have been on a zero carb diet without the fruits and veggies. So is it possible to get everything our body requires from meat and no glfruits and veggies?

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I have no idea but I would think the the alkalinity of the veggies goes well with the meat.
    I Love my meat and love my veggies so why give them up when they taste so good and are working for me!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    yeah, everyone's going to trot out the inuits and steffason, but here's the thing.... what's the point? why cut out fruit & vegetables? that sounds so boring, i might kill myself.

i think most of the zero-carb crowd have borderline eating disorders. they generally get off on the idea of the weight loss claims (no carbs! no insulin! i can eat everything i want in some weird, unhealthy relationship with food & yet gain no weight!), and then just pretend to do it for 'great health.' are you on that charles washington blog?

really... who out there hates the taste of all vegetables and fruits? what's the point of cutting them all out? it's either ridiculous carb paranoia, or i just don't get it.

Yes I was on the Charles Washington blog. One guy was trying to give me advice and he looked like he hasn't slept in days he had the darkest circles under his eyes

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I tried VLC or ZC. It wasn't horrible. The one thing I learned is that I LIKE fruits and veggies. At the same time I learned that it's also ok to eat just a hunk of meat and eggs for dinner and skip the veg if I don't feel like it.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

hxl2012 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishhandgrenade View Post
    So I have been sound a lot of research on a zero carb diet. Those who fallow the diet claim we don't need to eat fruits and veggies at all. I then asked them what about the vitamins and minerals. I was told that they are healthier then they ever have been on a zero carb diet without the fruits and veggies. So is it possible to get everything our body requires from meat and no glfruits and veggies?
    one of my friends tries ZC, and she lost her period for one year.

I think it's because we need some carbs from fruit and veggies. I'll never try ZC, bcoz i don't wanna
    explain to others from time to time why I don't eat fruit and veggie.
    Nothing you can't do once you believe that you can.

SW:120lb
    CW:116lb
    GW:110lb

jammies is offline Senior Member
    If you do it you need to eat the whole animal - head to tail including liver, bone marrow, adrenal gland, thymus and maybe brain. I think if you ate all organ meats you could probably get away with it, but I suspect that for the majority of our evolutionary time span we ate as omnivores and are adapted to the intake of nutrients from fruits and veggies as well.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    If you do it you need to eat the whole animal - head to tail including liver, bone marrow, adrenal gland, thymus and maybe brain. I think if you ate all organ meats you could probably get away with it, but I suspect that for the majority of our evolutionary time span we ate as omnivores and are adapted to the intake of nutrients from fruits and veggies as well.
    this sounds about right to me....
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    That's how Steffanson ate (whole animal) especially during his one-year trial where he was monitored in a hospital and his health was great, along with that of his co-subject.

Like others said, I too dabbled for a short while but I didn't love it. It's fun for a little while, but for me at least, it was difficult to maintain. It's quite hard, when you often eat with others, to only eat protein and fat. Especially because my gf loves veggies and loves making them, so I didn't want to turn down her stuff.

I also don't think it's good to be in a constant state of ketosis, and to have your body create its own glucose through gluconeogenesis. Being an active young-ish male, I'd rather supply my body with non-toxic carbs. I don't see the harm in that and allows for variety.

At the same time, I'm not afraid to have a few carnivorous days, they happen a lot more spontaneously than all-veggie days (which I never ever plan for. I kind of get scared if I don't have protein to eat)

More on topic: we don't NEED most fruits, we can do without most veggies as well BUT that doesn't mean we should. At the very least, I'd make an effort to eat leafy greens, colorful peppers, onions, garlic, etc... you don't need iceberg lettuce for instance, but you should eat kale.

Also keep in mind that the indigenous cultures that get thrown around as proof of a healthy zero carb diet have no choice but to eat zero carb. Who's to say they wouldn't be healthier if they included some plant matter, were it available to them I'm certain they would, if only to diversify. Humans like options.... a lot. Just look at our supermarkets! Lastly, one of the big names in zero carb world is "The Bear" who many times said anything outside of the animal world was poisonous... this is also the man that made LSD a huge thing in America, and made plenty of it, sometimes being high for days as a result. I have never done LSD, but his mental health may not have been intact following many years of contact with that type of drug. I'm not saying his mental health suffered, but I'm sure it was different enough to think that way of plants...
    Last edited by iniQuity; 12-28-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't eat fruit and the only veggies I eat are salad greens a couple times a week. I could go meat only no problem but don't mind salad. I take a multivitamin so I don't think I'm really missing much as far as nutrients go.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast