Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole 30 for January 2012! page

namelesswonder is offline Moderator

Whole 30 for January 2012!

Shop Now
    Hey all,

I have to do an elimination diet in January (well, I want to do it too) that's basically a Whole 30, minus citrus, yeast, tomatoes, chocolate, and eggs. I might exclude other nightshades if they seem to be problematic with these adjustments after the first week or so, but I don't consume them often so I'm going to play it by ear. Basically I'm trying to find out what, if any, food allergies & sensitives I might have aside from the ones I'm already aware of (gluten & soy). I suspect dairy might be an issue. I have to keep a food log for the whole month to review with a nutritionist, which is going to be the biggest pain about the whole thing, since it's not too different from how I already eat.

After the first few weeks I might try to add in things by having a small serving at every meal for 3-4 days (eggs will be the first test since that's what I care about most!). My nutritionist said I could try this on my own since I've already done eliminations on my own this year and probably correctly identified sensitivities (I get the results at the end of this week).

I thought if anyone else is doing a Whole 30 or some kind of modified eating plan for January that's not their usual, they might like to check in here with recipes, difficulties, successes, findings etc. Who else is in? Be sure to include what goals, if any, you have for the month. Mine is to correctly identify any food allergies I have and see if I can eliminate instances of painful gas (at least once or twice a week) & any of my chronic congestion & post nasal drip (though I suspect that's from environmental allergies, for which I'll need to do separate testing). I also want to use the month to see if it helps me be more vigilant about not cheating, since I have the accountability of writing down everything I eat and showing it to a medical professional.

If anyone else started a similar thread please link me and I'll see if I can request this post to be deleted. Thanks!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    For anyone else going with no nightshades, this site has various sections for particular dietary restraints. Unfortunately you can't apply multiple restraints at once (like non-gluten AND non-nightshade).

Gallery - chowstalker
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

stephlowen is offline Member
    I am starting a Whole 30 in January as well. I fell hard off of the primal wagon and intend to do full primal with no dairy and nuts as well. I know that dairy is an issue and nuts are a trigger food for me. My only real goal is to get back on track and eliminate sugar cravings.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I'm in. I'm not dropping butter- but other than that, full-on Whole 30. I need to get back to eating my own food and I need to take a break from the drinking and cheese. If I can get myself moving back down instead of up, too- that'd be spiffy. I'm also going to be kind of doing a Whole 30 with my budget, so it'll be useful to have an extra reason to not be allowed to eat that dang Wesleydale.

afroette is offline Member
    I'm in too! I was planning to knock nightshades out since I know tomatoes bother me. It's going to be hard to give up hot sauce though! I am also going to try cutting out eggs because I've noticed gas after eating them. They also are not my favorite thing and I have been eating them since going primal. I am going to keep butter and not sneak in other forms of dairy, since I am lactose intolerant.
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    SW 364 - Started Primal about 12/5/11
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

YAY! Vit. D deficiency gone and HDL finally over 40! 1/20/12

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I'm in.. Whole 30 I will have butter as the only dairy ( Hello coconut milk!) and no nightshades, cured meats, grains, beans etc. etc.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

missymomof3 is offline Member
    what is the whole 30 exactly?

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    I'm in as well!

Started PB about 1.5 months ago and was doing pretty well until the end of week 5 when I had sudden ravenous hunger followed by massive sugar cravings. I've been meaning to start PB full scale again and thought doing Whole30 could help. I will be doing the Kruse leptin reset protocol at the same time so will stop eating nightshades as well. I am a recent vegetarian convert still navigating my way into flesh eating. I started with fish and seafood and then started with some eggs, but I will also be dropping the eggs for Whole30 because I think I am allergic to them- eating eggs causes a lot of nasal congestion and unbearable post-nasal drip. It will be challenging to find sources of protein if I have to drop dairy and eggs as well as I have not progressed to eating poultry or red meat yet. I bought some ready made turkey burgers with no nitrates and will see if I have the courage to actually eat them. I know it's not exactly primal, but I am really not ready to cook my own yet. Like many here, I am keeping butter for Whole30 too. It will be really hard to give up my 87% dark chocolate, but I will have to suck it up and just do it.

My goals are to train myself to healthy eating patterns, cure my sugar addiction and uncontrollable pavlovian impulse to snack at night and just generally be healthier, have more energy and vitality and develop more strength. Ultimately, I would love to lose 20 lbs as well, but my initial goal is to go down to 125 lbs (I am currently 128 lbs, I think, might have gained some after the massive sugar binges).

Looking forward to joining you in this. It is nice to have a support group.
    Last edited by Fiji; 12-27-2011 at 06:39 PM.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Hey all,

I have to do an elimination diet in January (well, I want to do it too) that's basically a Whole 30, minus citrus, yeast, tomatoes, chocolate, and eggs. I might exclude other nightshades if they seem to be problematic with these adjustments after the first week or so, but I don't consume them often so I'm going to play it by ear. Basically I'm trying to find out what, if any, food allergies & sensitives I might have aside from the ones I'm already aware of (gluten & soy). I suspect dairy might be an issue. I have to keep a food log for the whole month to review with a nutritionist, which is going to be the biggest pain about the whole thing, since it's not too different from how I already eat.

After the first few weeks I might try to add in things by having a small serving at every meal for 3-4 days (eggs will be the first test since that's what I care about most!). My nutritionist said I could try this on my own since I've already done eliminations on my own this year and probably correctly identified sensitivities (I get the results at the end of this week).

I thought if anyone else is doing a Whole 30 or some kind of modified eating plan for January that's not their usual, they might like to check in here with recipes, difficulties, successes, findings etc. Who else is in? Be sure to include what goals, if any, you have for the month. Mine is to correctly identify any food allergies I have and see if I can eliminate instances of painful gas (at least once or twice a week) & any of my chronic congestion & post nasal drip (though I suspect that's from environmental allergies, for which I'll need to do separate testing). I also want to use the month to see if it helps me be more vigilant about not cheating, since I have the accountability of writing down everything I eat and showing it to a medical professional.

If anyone else started a similar thread please link me and I'll see if I can request this post to be deleted. Thanks!
    minus citrus?? I did not see that on the whole 30 website.. or is that a you thing?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
    what is the whole 30 exactly?
    It's a very strict version of the paleo diet, which eliminates all sugar, dairy, grains, legumes, alcohol and any form of processed foods. You can read more about it below:

The Whole30
    Last edited by Fiji; 12-27-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast