Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Raw Eggs And Side Effects page

Annana is offline Senior Member

Eating Raw Eggs And Side Effects

Shop Now
    A number of months ago I started putting raw eggs in my smoothie for added nutrition. I thought it was quite nice, but it gave me weird side effects. I would feel really weird; kind of faint and head-achy. There may have been other symptoms, but I can't remember.

Anyway, the point of this post is, I'd like to give them another go in smoothies, but am worried about the side effects re-occurring. Has anyone else has this sort of experience from raw eggs? I wonder if it's maybe some sort of intolerance. The eggs come from our own free range chickens, who eat organic chicken feed.

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure it's not just an "oh god I just ate a raw egg" feeling? When I eat something new or strange I get similar feelings.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    How so did you isolate the egg as the problem? I'm guessing it was the only variable that changed from your regular smoothie? unless you're allergic I don't quite see why it would cause it. I'd assume you'd be aware of an allergy already though.

I add two raw eggs to the aji I make for myself and family members (a spicy sauce we add to everything) and it doesn't give us any issues. We also keep it for about a week and a half refrigerated and it never seems to go bad on us, or we just can't tell but either way we're alive.

I noticed it was the egg because it started when I started using them, and I felt normal again when I stopped using them. They have never given me problems cooked, or as pasrt of a dessert. It also wasn't due to the thought of eating them as it continued after I was comfortable eating them.

The reason I ask is because I'm doing the Whole 30 in January, and would like to reintroduce raw eggs to my smoothies.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    Give it a whirl with some different eggs and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Annana View Post
    I noticed it was the egg because it started when I started using them, and I felt normal again when I stopped using them. They have never given me problems cooked, or as pasrt of a dessert. It also wasn't due to the thought of eating them as it continued after I was comfortable eating them.

The reason I ask is because I'm doing the Whole 30 in January, and would like to reintroduce raw eggs to my smoothies.
    Are you doing smoothies due to lack of time to make food or something? Sounds like you got two options: make your smoothies as per usual and eat eggs on the side (since they don't bother you when not raw) or don't bother with the smoothies. If you're certain raw eggs are the issue then I don't suppose there's much we can tell you to help here. There may be some enzyme you can take to aid in the digestion of the egg but I'm really not sure there.

Have you played with only adding the yolk, or only adding the white and seeing how it goes? For nutritional purposes, you mostly want the yolk, for protein though, you want the white. If one of them doesn't cause issues then you can always cook the rest.

I tend to have smoothies out of laziness, and am not all that keen on eggs in cooked form. I'll eat them but I'd rather not most of the time. I always have both yolk and white because I heard that they balance each other out. But I might try with just the yolk, which happens to be the part I really like about eggs. I'll give raw eggs another go anyway and see what happens. Maybe I should start with only half an egg and work myself up to larger amounts slowly.

Yeah it looks like some self experimentation is needed here. Try just yolks (though it sounds rather gross) then just whites (grosser?), alone, not in a smoothie and see what happens.

Be wary of those liquid calories though, not sure what you're putting in that smoothie, but if you have forms of sugar in there (fruits) they can come back to bite you in the ass. Best to get used to solid meals if your smoothie doesn't have more of a purpose beyond a meal replacement. By purpose I mean, I'm thinking I may do some vegetable juices/smoothies solely as a way to get more green vegetables in my diet as actually eating them isn't something I do that often. If I do, it would probably just be something like a handful of spinach and/or kale with some coconut milk and perhaps an egg and just chugging it. No sugar or anything in there, just a means to an end.

dado Guest
    eating raw eggs is stupid.

you digest about 40% of a raw egg versus 90% of a cooked one.

Really? I didn't know that. I thought it would be better raw as all the enzymes would be intact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast