Thread: Is it okay to eat almond butter past the expiration date? page

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

Is it okay to eat almond butter past the expiration date?

Primal Fuel
    I just brought back some stuff I had in storage at my mom's house after I moved out of my last apartment. Included with a few non-perishable food items was a sealed jar of Trader Joe's raw unsalted almond butter.

I was about to open it up when I noticed that the expiration date on the jar was listed at "June 2011". Is this a case of being legally required to stamp an expiration date, even if the item doesn't expire that quickly? Can I still eat this stuff, or should I throw it out?

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    If it was me I'd probably toss it out. I'd be thinking about the oxidation of the PUFA's especially if it was kept unrefrigerated.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    In the case of almond butter, it was probably on the shelf for quite a while before it was purchased. It might be a little stale, but I don't think it would be rotten or anything, especially since it's been sealed. It has probably lost a lot of its nutritional value, and yeah, the fats might be a little oxidized. However, almond butter isn't really nutritious to begin with, so I'd say enjoy it as long as it's not molding or anything.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Thanks - I'm a big fan of "eat it if there's no sign of mold" but sometimes that leads me to eat things I probably shouldn't (though I never get sick, so maybe those bacteria are only making my immune system stronger!)

bobbli is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    June 2011 was 6 months ago... I'd throw it out