Thread: Getting Ready...to get ready. page

40valves is offline Junior Member

Getting Ready...to get ready.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello and Happy Holidays,

My girlfriend and I are beginning the Primal Blueprint starting January 1st. We've purchased a few of Mark's publications as well as Robb Wolf's book, "The Paleo Solution". We've read them and discussed them thoroughly.

We decided to go in the direction of Mark's framework because of him giving the thumbs up to "proper" dairy, butter and cheeses.

We're very interested in the results that we'll see. To begin with we're already fairly healthy. We eat clean and exercise on a regular basis. Currently my girlfriend is thin and fit, and in the recent years I dropped more than 70 pounds by virtue of Weight Watchers. However we both have unwanted fat and flab that we'd like to get rid of. We're not ready for liposuction just yet

We're ready for something new and we're certain this is it.

Happy New Year!

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Welcome 40valves.

A coupla things:

1. Why wait to get started? You seem to have accepted that certain foods are less than ideal, so why keep on eating them? Id say start today and make the most primal choices at each meal. Ok, so it's the holidays and there's gonna be times where there are lots of yummy treats around that you love, so when that happens and if you really can't resist, go for it and enjoy them (I know I did on Xmas day). But But icing day was a new day and i made good food choices again.

2. There's not a great deal of difference between what Robb and Mark say and even less between what they do. Robb actually eats "primal" rather than strict paleo.
    The main difference is how you make the switch to primal/paleo. Robb recommends cutting all grains, dairy and legumes/pulses for at least 30 day to see how it affects you. After which, you can introduce different types of dairy (starting with the fattest such as ghee, butter, cream) and seeing if they cause any problems. If the do, ditch them, if they don't, eat away
    Whereas mark is a bit more relaxed about the transition and says you can do the cold turkey thing, or do it in stages and work on making each meal more primal, cutting out grain first, then sugar, etc. mainly i think because so many people lack the will power to go cold turkey so this makes it more do'able for many.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I would say that since you are doing well already, keep on doing the proper dairy. I am opposed to the crash paleo/primal approach. Nearly anything you stop eating for 30 days is going to cause you some discomfort when you add it in.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks for replying to my post.

So, why am I (we) waiting? Between Christmas and this weekend's New Year's, I have had a lot of get togethers and parties to go to. I would have been blowing it from the "get-go". I didn't want to do that.

I knew a fresh start was right around the corner, i.e. - the 1st of the year. It wasn't putting it off, so much as it was/is starting it at a time that I knew it would be successful without divertion for a while.

I want to do this the best that I can. It will be a big change for me in that I can't eat as much fruit as I normally do. I'll down a couple of apples, couple of oranges and bananas in one day. Going to a different type of fruit that is not as filling will be an adjustment. Also, not being able to grab a Clif bar...put sugar in my coffee...etc.

Anyway...

I'll be sure to write again on the forum to let everyone know how we're doing.

Have a great time ringing in the New Year. Be safe and be happy.

cya

Had to check...

...was feeling thin.

Yes I know it was too soon, BUT 4 days in and I weighed myself. Down 2 pounds!

I'm a cranky son of a bitch though, HA - LOL!

Hopefully that will soon pass.