Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your fitness goals? page

Dirlot is offline Senior Member

What are your fitness goals?

Primal Fuel

I have been working out for a number of years and I have been Primal for 2 months now and feeling great.
    I love walking and hiking and have incorporated sprints into my routine.
    I have been lifting weights, and using kettlebells, sandbags etc for my strength training.
    I love climbing and I have been finding traditional strength training helps but doesn't completely translate into functional climbing strength. For example squaring heavy while good does not translate into rock-over on the rock.
    I have just finished Convict Conditioning and Al Kavadlo's We're Working Out, The long and the short of it I am giving body weight work my attention. I will still do some Kettlebell and sandbag training and keep deadlifts in the mix one a week or so because that heavy lift from the floor can't be done using body weight.
    I am 6 foot, 185lbs and around 14%BF. Stats to date:

Squat 130kg (286lbs) 5x5
    Deadlift 150kg (330lbs) 3x5
    Pullups 17
    Weighted pullups 12.5kg (27.5lbs) 5x5
    Weighted Dips 20kg (44lbs) 5x5 (I have not done bench press in years as it aggravates my shoulder)
    Military Press 48.7kg (106.7lbs) 5x5

I have been on Convict Conditioning since Nov 29th 2011 and making good progress. I can manage some of the top skills for one rep with poor form so my Body-Weight goals for the next year with good form are:

One arm pushup
    Handstand Press
    One arm Pullup
    Pistol Squat
    Clutch flag

I would love to be able to do a full flag but I think that will take more than a year.

They say if you write down your goals you are more likely to achieve them. Well there they are for all to see.
    So what are your fitness goals?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Look nice, stay moderately strong and healthy and live well in old age. Human flag is a fun goal, and it totally gets me thinking about training up to get there. Problem is, I've already met my goals. I am fit, healthy and happy. So I guess being boring is my goal. Steady, unchanging, reliable and long-lived. I just want to be able to climb trees with my kids.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post

One arm pushup
    Handstand Press
    One arm Pullup
    Pistol Squat
    these, all unassisted with good form (almost there with the exception of the pull up) plus:
    muscle up
    front lever
    planche (this will take a while)
    sub 20 5k
    sub 30 5k mud run
    and, fitness related, to finish climbing all the mountains over 4,000 feet in new hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    these, all unassisted with good form (almost there with the exception of the pull up) plus:
    muscle up
    front lever
    planche (this will take a while)
    sub 20 5k
    sub 30 5k mud run
    and, fitness related, to finish climbing all the mountains over 4,000 feet in new hampshire
    I like your mountain climbing challenge...

The muscle up is anther goal of mine and I do want to learn the technique for that.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    3xBW deadlift (current record is 405x3 @ ~ 165lb)

ciep is offline Senior Member
    My main fitness goal is just to continue improving as a climber. But aside from climbing, I think my #1 "wish" is to be able to hold a perfect planch -- I've achieved most of my BW fitness goals, but this one still eludes me... seems almost impossible actually. :/

I also wish I do certain breakdance moves, because they look fun as hell, but there's definite skill involved in those which I don't even know how to begin developing.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    1) Be strong, starting with barbell training and adding calesthenics

2) Be able to complete a Tough Mudder (2 months left in training time)

3) Stay Healthy
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    My main fitness goal is just to continue improving as a climber.
    I know what you mean about that continued improvement in climbing....inch by inch it sometimes feels like now. My footwork is getting better so my climbing is too.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Master the Convict Conditioning master steps- one arm pushup, one arm handstand pushup, one arm pullup, hanging straight leg raise, stand-to-stand back bridge, and pistol squats. I'm currently on steps 7.5, 5, 5, 6, 4, and 6.5. I add intermediate steps when I need to, such as 1-arm pushups with my feet spread, or uneven squats to a chair.

I'd like to max my score on my Army PT test, so that means 75 pushups, 76 situps, and a two-mile run in 13:18. Currently I think my run is holding me back more than the others (13:59 in October), and I'm not very motivated to go out in the cold these days. Maybe I need to start running on my lunch break, so it's at least daylight. I think I'm doing pretty okay on the pushups and situps, though.

I'd like to be able to complete a 12-mile ruck march to the Infantry standard, which is 12 miles in 3 hours with a 60-pound ruck (40% of my bodyweight! :-0). I need to start walking more too. Working in a basement from sunup to sundown kinda sucks for getting outside.

I'd like to complete a Tough Mudder, though I'm not sure when I will be able to enter one. Last time I signed up for one I ended up in an Army class and couldn't go.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Master the Convict Conditioning master steps- one arm pushup, one arm handstand pushup, one arm pullup, hanging straight leg raise, stand-to-stand back bridge, and pistol squats. I'm currently on steps 7.5, 5, 5, 6, 4, and 6.5. I add intermediate steps when I need to, such as 1-arm pushups with my feet spread, or uneven squats to a chair.
    Awesome work there. I am on 5, 2, 5, 2, 3, (just about ready to move up in the first five and just started level 8 pistol squats.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast